What year do you think Win32 will be removed from Windows for good? Predict the Apocalypse

What year do you think Win32 will be removed from Windows for good? Predict the Apocalypse.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm planning on installing Windows XP on a new computer (slip-streaming in the necessary drivers) in 2020 to celebrate the Windows 7 end of life.

So you're going backwards.

So soon?

we all died in 2012 anyway

>backwards
Just for shits and giggles. I'm out of the microsoft ecosystem. My line of work doesn't have me sitting behind a computer so much anyway.

Nuclear missile silos still use software on 8" floppy disks and there is a Ford plant in Windsor that does payroll using punchcards, not to mention all of the Cobol in the banking industry. All of these are tiny in comparison to the amount of software built on top of win32. It might eventually be removed from mainstream branche of Windows but there will still be a supported version with win32 in 2050.

>implying banks and nuclear weapons will exist in 2050

tfw boss is still using floppy discs.
refuses to use anything else.
refuses to upgrade.
makes every single floppy he touches break

>implying you need more than a comfy chair, a purse of gold, and some sort of enforcement mechanism in order to be a banker

>implying anything will exist in 2050

>implying time as we understand it won't dissapear and make the concept of 2050 meaningless

Please post more comfy scared kitties

iirc support is being dropped in 2019, so they will probably be disabled by 2020.

it'll all burn soon

source.

This ain't win7. This is win32

I said iirc, but I remember seeing it on Sup Forums a while ago.

Never.

>legacy winapi
>being removed from windows anytime soon
the vast majority of all software ever written on this planet depends exclusively on that api
osx will become the new standard consumer os the second winapi is removed from windows

Never. The system call interface is not stabilized on Windows, so the only way to perform any sort of system functions is through the Win32 API. Asking when Windows is going to get rid of Win32 is like asking when Unix is going to get rid of open(), read(), write(), and the like. You can wrap library functionality around it, but you can't get rid of it by any means.

But most humans don't use that software. It's a large swath of Sup Forumsites and people like them. Normies don't even care, they just use whatever Windows recommends for a file and now that's all "WHATEVERS IN THE STORE LOL"

They'll just restrict anything from using it except for internal OS stuff.

This is so fucked up.

I've heard people tease about it, but I've never seen Microsoft so much as hint at it. It is simply not possible for the Win32 API to be phased out, or even deprecated (at least in whole. Some Win32 functions have been deprecated by other Win32 functions).

This is why I hate paid digital distribution.

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s

No, you don't get it. EVERYTHING calls into Win32. Any library that has to talk to Windows for any reason has to go through kernel32.dll. Do you want a libc or libstdc++? It has to use kernel32.dll. Do you want sockets? You need winsock2. Any library that needs to talk to the OS for any reason has to go through Win32 functions. It has been standardized as the only way to do it. Even .NET is just a user program wrapping around Win32.

Windows 10S is not Windows. It does not run Windows programs. It runs Windows STORE programs.

Windows 10S is not Windows.
Double plus good doublethink, fellow brotherhood of nod member!

Windows 10S will replace Windows. Windows store programs = UWP. Windows programs=win32, wow64 programs. In 30 years you won't be able to buy "Windows" as you know it now.

Except nobody fucking uses Windows 10S, and Microsoft hasn't really made much of a peep about it since they first released it.

Proof?

To be honest I wonder why we don't all run virtualized instances these days.

Microsoft continually wants to make things worse for power users and every step they have made since Ballmer left has been in service of this. And Im no Ballmer fan

Give me an example where Microsoft dropped full support for 99.9% of software for its os

What's a Win32?

Xbox 360>Xbone
:^)

Is this the face of a gorl programmer?

What os is that?

GNU/Windows

In most operating systems, user programs are expected to run in a state of lowered privilege where they cannot access hardware devices, or manipulate memory outside of their virtual address space, thus preventing malicious processes from stepping over every other process' toes. In order to perform any interesting tasks, such as I/O, they must perform a system call - a specialized CPU instruction which increases the privilege level to a supervisor mode, and jumps to a handler function setup by the kernel. It then performs a task corresponding to a system call number provided by the user. For instance on x86_64 Linux, 0 reads a file, 1 writes a file, and 2 opens a file.

On Windows, this method of transferring privileges to the kernel is no different, but the system call numbers are not set in stone. They are allowed to change between Windows releases, and as such, programmers are expected to not use them directly. Instead, a set of functions defined in shared libraries provided by the operating system perform the system calls for the user. If the system call numbers change, the shared libraries will be swapped out, but the programs that use them do not need to be recompiled.

This interface provided by shared libraries as a means to communicate with the Windows kernel is known as the Win32 API. It is extraordinarily ugly to use compared to Unix system calls, but just as with Unix system calls, there are libraries that wrap around it. Most programs use the Win32 API indirectly through other libraries, rather than directly.

The sooner the better. Win32 is aids, i wish ntapi would take it over

>works exclusively with windows store apps
I get that Microsoft would LOVE a world where everyone uses only applications from their store but fortunately this will never happen

Almost all consumer software is still win32 as well, including Steam/Origin/GOG.

what is iShit

They would just love it if everyone could move away from ancient trash.
You don't even need to use the store to distribute the new format, it's just a centralized platform to do so.

>we're finally giving you the apple experience!
You think they aren't going to eat this shit up like caviar?

Where is your god now winfags

Doesn't even matter, since ReactOS development is speeding up so rapidly that very soon we'll have a complete Windows XP and maybe 7 replacement that ins't just WINE. The only problems that ReactOS has are the the lack of drivers and the shit stability, which means it won't boot on 99% of real hardware. But this is a big step forward into a future without Windows, and after that, a future without Intlel and AyyMD CISC trash. Glorious RISC will rule.

>so you won't be limited to any device
>instead you'll be limited even more by various third parties, their plans for how you should interact with their products (or rather services), when and how you can access "your" data, and you will have no influence on how "your" data in turn is accessed, modified, and what kind of advertising you're exposed to or what filter bubbles you live in
Wow, what a great future!

>you will have no influence on how "your" data in turn is accessed, modified, and what kind of advertising you're exposed to
Um you can literally see what data you're sending back to microsoft, they added a telemetry viewer. Moving towards the way mobile systems handle permissions is also beneficial for data, now you can toggle whether you want programs to use your filesystem for example instead of them doing whatever the fuck they want purely because you installed it.

Microsoft should probably get around to removing win16 first

>since ReactOS development is speeding up so rapidly
>development started in 1996
Maybe we can have a working build ready in 2193 :^)

>The only problems that ReactOS has are the the lack of drivers
I thought it was aiming for driver compatibility with windows?

Win16 apps haven't been executable since Windows XP 64-bit though.

Can't include them in the default install or else they get sued. So have fun hunting for drivers and modifying the install images. Licensing is a bitch.

>I thought it was aiming for driver compatibility with windows?
Seeing as even Ubuntu is only now getting around to that and that's after being whored out, good fucking luck.

They are executable on 32-bit versions of Windows.