>Start:
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap/
>Code schools:
freecodecamp.org/
codecademy.com/

>Client-side:
developer.mozilla.org/docs/Learn/
developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/API/Document_Object_Model/Introduction
developer.mozilla.org/Apps/Fundamentals/Modern_web_app_architecture/MVC_architecture
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
>Popular JS frameworks:
reactjs.org/
angular.io/
vuejs.org/
>Popular CSS frameworks:
foundation.zurb.com/
getbootstrap.com/
bulma.io/
>Static Site Generator:
jekyllrb.com/ (ruby based)
hexo.io/ (nodejs based)
>Useful:
github.com/kieranmv95/Front-End-Wizard
webdevchecklist.com/

>Server-side:
>Popular backend languages and frameworks:
Ruby (ruby on rails)
python (django, flask, pylons)
PHP (laravel, symfony)
.NET (asp.net mvc)
nodejs (express, meteor)
Scala (play)
Elixir (phoenix)
Haskell (yesod)
Golang (beego, revel)
>Common solutions for relational databases:
mysql.com/
postgresql.org/
>Common HTTP server:
nginx.com/
apache.org/
>Cloud server:
digitalocean.com/
aws.amazon.com/
>nodejs resources:
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Popular full stack (MEAN):
mongodb.com/
expressjs.com/
angular.io/
nodejs.org/

>Web related conferences in 2018:
github.com/asciidisco/web-conferences-2018

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rocket.rs/
github.com/DenisKolodin/yew
jamstack.org/
grandstack.io/
discord.gg/wdg
github.com/majestrate/nntpchan/releases/tag/v3.0.0
risingstars.js.org/2017/en/
stateofjs.com/2017/introduction/
youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6CUkswsNw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET YEET

crosspost from dpt:

I've always wondered this

Say you have some kind of data structure in C# running on a web application. This data is input by the user into this structure. How long does the information stay in the structure if this application is hosted in production?

For example, can the user input data one day, close his session, then come back the next day and still have that same data in the structure?

The application is always running on the server, so eventually you can have some kind of buffer overflow if its an array, or a VERY slow application if its some other kind of structure like a vector?

The reason I state this is I found it in an interns code (inside of a double for loop) and I have a feeling it got past code review.

nice :DDD

Do you use that think pad for web dev?

Also, what model is it?

>MEAN stack
the past
>JAM stack
the future
>your trash code
the present

How can we make use of Rust in web development?

jam stack is comfy

rocket.rs/

what is jam

Awesome.

github.com/DenisKolodin/yew

ASP.NET Core question. I made a simple console app, then randotnet run

Magically, it somehow knows to use all the .CS files in the root directory when building. I didn't need to use "using ..." in Program.cs. How does this work? How would I use .cs files that weren't in the root?

jamstack.org/
>All server-side processes or database actions are abstracted into reusable APIs, accessed over HTTP with JavaScript. These can be custom-built
how can i do that?

I told my boss I'm done with developing websites.
I've become allergic, reached maximum saturation, critical mass.

i dont know, but it's possible to crash a node server if you write too many times using the wrong write method. something similar may be possible in C#.

>http
>not https
yikes

>applying to jobs
>see job ad where i meet every criteria
>about to click apply
>notice last line
>must be expert in adobe cs6
they should put things like that at the very top in bold so people dont waste their time reading the rest of the post

C# is a managed language isn't it? I don't really know anything about it, but the way it works with a garbage collector is that as long as there is a reference to the array then the whole thing stays in memory, for the life of the process. Until the process is stopped or the references are all freed and the garbage collector sweep comes through and trashes the memory, it's still reserved.

Just ignore that shit. Why would you ever not apply?

>JAM stack

Surely you meant the GRAND stack.
grandstack.io/

Is it possible in sql to define one enum and use it in multiple tables? i don't want to have to define the enum several times since that makes a bitch when i want to chage its values
and i don't mean joins, i mean at table definition level

The people who write the ads and the people who do the interviews are not the same people, and may not have the same criteria.
So,

whats the difference beetween

if (err) throw err;

and
if (err) {
console.log(err)
}

Does throw returns shit to the console or not?

who here using stylus instead of SASS (for faggots) or LESS (for loosers)

Going to begin a uni course on database-driven websites focusing on PHP in the Spring. Any advice?

>database-driven websites
are there websites which are not "database-driven" in the year of our lord + 2018

Its a meme name desu. How I understand it we will be given a MySQL backend and write PHP that interfaces with it to create a CMS. Fwiw I am familiar with working with MySQL I just don't have more than like, 2 weeks of experience with front-ends. We did all of our previous work straight through the MySQL Workbench using raw SQL.

>Its a meme name desu
thats what I thought.. it does sound better than saying "php based website with mysql"

I mean its better than buying a Wix/Squarespace/Wordpress site and calling myself a web dev right?

Of course.

>its better than buying a Wix/Squarespace/Wordpress site and calling myself a web dev
depends, you'd probably make more money doing this than creating custom web apps for customers

>Not caring about stack acronyms
>Choosing an acronym for your stack
>Choosing a stack for your acronym

What does /wdg/ think about Clojure/ClojureScript?

As far as I understand it the same way you build any other decoupled API.
You have static frontend files and instead of a backend rendering new pages, the API sends you JSON, that you then utilize however you want.
Even on different sites with different layouts.

"throw" will go up the stack, until it encounters a catch block, doesn't it? (or crash your app, if you don't have one)

bump?
good concept or silly optimization?

Laravel. Your thoughts on it /wdg/.

yes

I want to write more PHP code because I get a deep sexual thrill from writing '

>Wish JavaScript has opening and closing tags like
And before somebody says, yes I know about tags but JS in HTML docs is icky

Static site generators, flat-file CMSes. Both are growing in popularity.

How about writing normal goddamn Javascript instead of having 20 different versions and 15 different transpilers and polyfills to get it working.

Daily reminder NOT to cater to this outdated piece of trash. NEVER use polyfills

>How about writing normal goddamn Javascript instead of having 20 different versions
But that's what you do.
You have a single source written with all the modern ES6+ syntax and then it's just a matter of your Babel configuration that determine, what your output bundle should be.
The standard for large sites with a broad audience is, that you simply transpile everything to ES5.
With this the difference is, that you have 2 versions, one transpiled for IE, Edge, and Chrome/FF LTS and then another ES6 version for the latest Chrome and FF browsers.
You don't have like one version for each browser and release.

discord.gg/wdg

Because OP is shilling for his personal server, so why not post alternative ones for webdev.

I imagine you're like 90lbs, 6ft tall and have long hair, probably wear ONLY overly baggy clothes despite being skinny and able to get a good fit you insist that you wear 2 sizes up.

You also have like 6 bands on your wrist that have no meaning you just bought them on Amazon to look cool

IE is comfy fuck you

>this burning train wreck is comfy fuck you

stop being cringy

How do I make sure that the center of an image stays in the center of the viewport? I want the left and right sides of the image to disappear as the viewport gets smaller in width

A mere snowflake in the blizzard that is the current state of serverless.

with CSS but since I can't teach you all that let me refer you to a pure HTML/CSS "Adaptive-Images" framework called: Focal Point

>all that work to serve up syntactic sugar
No.

i'd prefer just using CSS

Then go to the github page and read their source what the fuck how am I supposed to teach you through Sup Forums?

I don't fear chaos, I welcome it.

are you implying that my endeavour requires a whole framework?

what extra work?
Instead of building it once, you just build twice with the only difference being the targeted browsers.

You are already writing modern JS with promises, template strings and arrow function.
It's just a matter of making it compatible with older browsers, while giving modern browsers the size and performance benefits.

position absolute and then just center it

how do you like dApps (decentralized apps) /wdg/?
did someone make an ether game or something on a blockchain yet? or is it just a meme?

>blockchain
can people just call it what it actually is
we really don't need another shitty cloud part 2 the remix to fool idiots (see: investors) into parting with their money

but are clouds decentralized? i thought it's mainly about the decentralization. it seems the tech isn't far enough yet since it's too expensive to deploy smart contracts on most blockchains apparently but i assumed it still could be a relevent solution in the future?

>clouds
>smart contracts
found a sucker who bought into the hype memes explicitly directed at retarded investors just so they can get their money

you need to hit the books and actually figure out what these things actually mean, sad we have people in /wdg/ throwing them around without knowing

can you explain a brainlet then or recommend some books or resources? i didn't buy into it financially but i do write my own freelance contracts and smart contracts via blockchain did sound like a nice enhancement to my business if it worked how people advertise it.

What kind of project or technology that force me to write OOP? i really want OOP everything but i need the right condition.

>Woke up today
>Job offer from a company I was interviewing with
>Happy as fuck
I fucking did it, nerds. You are all faggots, and I love you. Thank you for introducing me to /wdg/, Sup Forums. It's been a crazy 6 months, of pure dedication mostly everyday at least 10~15 hours of programming. And I enjoyed it all. Don't ever give up, set your path realistically. Here's a few things to help you guys.

>Set a path #1 (check #6)
Know the area that you want to get into. But know how to get there, know what you have to study, know how to BEST make use of your time because you can't waste time. I'm sure you will discover new things along the way, but if you don't have a schedule/routine you are already wasting your time.

>Do your research #2
Seriously, stop asking on Sup Forums "How long to learn X" and just fucking do it. A huge part of being a good programmer is doing your research.
You faggot, only you know how you learn best. I only ever come to this thread to ask useful questions about a topic.

>When programming, do it WELL. #3
For fucks sake, don't just write shitty code. This is part of doing your research, but write neat code and get into the best practices. You must make it a habit to write code as neat and as up-to-date as possible. They will check this.

>Make websites #4
Don't just design stupid apps. Create actual content to put out on the internet, and something concrete that companies would look and appreciate it. That they would think "Yeah, he knows how to program." Want good experience? Do volunteer work for someone. Replicate websites out there.

How can you find those content? Look at portfolios online, ask here, but it is already everything out there.
P.S. Make sure to actually use the technologies that you know, in your work.

[... continued]

how much do you lot earn?

github.com/majestrate/nntpchan/releases/tag/v3.0.0

just tagged the first "stable" release of my pet project I've been working on since 2015

and it's still a mess. ;~;

>Make a portfolio #5
At this point I expect you to know how to design a simple, good-looking website. You can use the github.io to host your own stuff, and github to host your code. It's fucking free. (I'm sure as you become a professional you might wanna get your own domain idk)

I'm not gonna tell you how to format your portfolio or link you to mine, but obviously include your work and demos of it.

>When applying, look at the market and technologies #6 (this has to do with #1)
You obviously can't apply to jobs everywhere around the globe (maybe). So within the area that you think you can work, check out the companies and the main technologies that they use and maybe focus on including those as your highest skills. Please understand that basic shit like HTML5/CSS3 is just EXPECTED of you. It seriously doesn't take a lot to get familiar with it, and although you can include in a resume I personally think you gonna have to do more than that to be competitive within a larger market.

>When applying, don't be afraid of not knowing one technology Y #7
Seriously, stop being afraid because you don't know Photoshop. But you know html/css/javascript/php/react/etc.
Go ahead, and apply. Hell, I'm 'missing' like 3 of the technologies that my company asked that I'm not familiar with. But I got hired.
I can also tell you, I'm very hard-working and I will have this down by the end of the month. So don't set yourself back for things that you can pick up along the way, most times it's how it goes.

>When applying, fucking be confident about it #8
They won't want to hire you if you're unsure about yourself. It's like hitting on a woman and being awkward, she won't trust you.
So be confident. If you really aren't, then become so. Grow your skills, make more things, until you are.

Being confident in you, makes the company feel that they can trust you to handle the job and deadlines also.

[... cont]

In need of advice.
Worked as a web developer until like 5 years ago, when I got a job offer as syadmin. Now I want to go back to the webdev world, specifically front-end. What technologies should I look into if I want to land a job in this field? And what order would you recommend to do this?
I thought studying like Angular 2.0 and Node.js would be ideal, keep in mind I used to work with Apache/PHP/MySql on backend and nothing more advanced than jQuery on frontend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

>When applying, it is a good idea if you can to actually go there and talk to someone #9
Seriously, 4/4 times that I did this I got an interview. It just werks. Why? Because it shows that you have an interest in the company.
But what are you going to do once you get there? I don't know, this works better if you have an ounce of good social skills honestly.

Just walk up to the desk, ask to speak with someone in the tech department. Say you applied to the position and have a few questions about the company/want to know more about the position. Most of the times they'll say that person is busy, but you can try insisting on it a bit and see where it goes.
It helps separate you from 'the pile of applicants' that have also applied for the position. Now you're not just a piece of paper, you're a face.

>It's okay to fail, don't be discouraged. Love what you do. #10
If you don't land it, it's fine. Keep trying. I landed it on my 4th.
The interviews will give you experience as a candidate, and you will become better. Never stop learning. Love what you do.

>Bonus: Follow the best technologies out there
This is important, but you will always want to stay on top of your game. Best practices, best/newest technologies, absorb everything.
Of course, be more than good at a few specific things. But just don't fall behind, is what I'm saying.

I gotta go back to my current project, and will go out to celebrate later.
I hope that I could at least help some of you with my experiences.

Cheers Anons.

Did you get hired as a junior or something? Or as a "learn on the job" guy?

Depends how you're storing it. Session store? Global state g custom rolled?

Okay but drop the react and use purescript instead

As on the advertisement, "Web Developer".

I'll be working with front-end technologies html5/css3/javascript/php/wordpress and then some experience with LAMP.

I think learning on the job, is something that will happen at every company you join. If you look at videos of professionals in the field, they all mention that each company is different. But what's important is that you obviously know how to use the technologies you're familiar with.

I don't think that represents /wdg/ sentiment, but I personally love it. I'd never go back to JS, now.

Not only is the language way saner, you only need one tool (lein) and you get dependency management, compilation, minification, dead-code elimination, live reload, test running, packaging, etc.

Bumping.
It there a site that has actual documentation on this? Laravel only give me the "the good stuff" but doesn't go in depth.

Yeah but then the stack would be GPAND and not GRAND. Don't you see the problem here?
Either rename purescript so it starts with an R or forget about itm okay.

Jeez I can't believe I have to explain something sooo obvious, ugh.

M$ telemetry black magic knows all about your projects

Can I use my own UI for Ionic apps or do they need to be in the shitty Material/iOS designs?

How much would you charge for a fully featured booking/travel web application?

>Just walk up to the desk, ask to speak with someone in the tech department. Say you applied to the position and have a few questions about the company/want to know more about the position. Most of the times they'll say that person is busy, but you can try insisting on it a bit and see where it goes.

I would put your resume straight into the bin for this.

>specifically front-end.
>What technologies should I look into
React or Vue
>if I want to land a job in this field?
Angular or React
>And what order would you recommend to do this?
Re-familiarize yourself with JS if you need to. Make sure you know new ES6 features and things like Promises and if possible also Async/Await.
Might also want to learn how to use Webpack so you can manage your own build setup. Don't need to be an expert but at least the basics. This might be daunting at first.

Learning a JS frontend framework is never bad, but you need to consider which one.
If it's purely for jobs, then I can't recommend Vue, even though I like it the most. Maybe it will be in demand a year down the line....
Angular and React will give you a better *market value*, if that's what you are concerned about.
React would be the safe choice for a mix of fun in personal projects and desired skills by companies.

check out
risingstars.js.org/2017/en/
and
stateofjs.com/2017/introduction/
to get an overview of the current field of technologies.
It's a lot, but you obviously don't need it all.

That's cheap.
I'd charge much more, certainly. But would have to know the details to figure it out.

Actually booking is probably cumbersome.

Slow bloated pile of shit. Only popular because its creator was shilling constantly.
Completely useless as soon as you need to solve a slightly more complex problem.

>Magically, it somehow knows to use all the .CS files in the root directory when building. I didn't need to use "using ..." in Program.cs. How does this work? How would I use .cs files that weren't in the root?

I've been trying to figure out what you mean for like 3 minutes and finally realized that you're missing an understanding of namespaces. If you created a bunch of files in the root directory (including Program.cs), they all get put in the same namespace by default, so you won't need to use 'using' in any of the files in that namespace to use classes in other files in that namespace. Subfolders generally introduce subnamespaces by default; use 'using' statements to pull them in. Alternatively, you can just manually change all your files to have the same namespace (don't do this).

Phoenix is the best web framework of all time

Although I think you're troll or maybe just too high up in the corporate ladder.

The point essentially is, to show your interest in the company. And I mean, you must actually have some. It's your first job, what the hell would you know? Probably nothing. Do you actually have questions about the position that could help you be a better candidate? Then go and find more about it, see if someone is available, set a time if not, leave your contact info, whatever.

>I would put your resume straight into the bin for this.
I think you can understand why I believe you're a troll now, right? No reasonable person would view a candidate who is a beginner, but truly interested in being a fit for your company, a bad thing. So you are wrong.

I say beginner, as I don't believe a seasoned professional would have a need of doing this as he/she would have a stronger presence online or via their experiences.

You do realize your retail job methods don't work here, right?
Show the fuck up to conventions where people are there to socialize, not at their office barging in with a "can i speak to your manager" cut.

Where I live there's no conventions or anything like that, even if I wanted to go socialize, not everyone lives in a huge modern city, user.

I bet if I went into a place hiring web devs they'd be absolutely shocked someone is even interested in them.

They do work. Quit your sense of self-importance and appreciate that others are genuinely interested in your company so you can learn more about the candidate and decide if they're a good fit.

If they didn't, what is the point of a HR face interview?
Seriously, I don't mind you arguing against me or my point. I just really would prefer if you had any strong points to support yourself. Otherwise please, you look pathetic. Stop and think about it, and I am right.

----
I could go on and into "connections" but I fear if you say that "connections don't matter when landing jobs lol" I would lose my mind with your low level of intelligence.

(As an added bonus to whoever is reading, this works specially well in small companies btw)

>Where I live there's no conventions or anything like that
That's a lie and I guarantee it. There's no way you have an actual shot in the industry and there's no conventions/talks/events nearby. Maybe you're just too lazy to even travel, in that case, pretty big red flag for anyone wanting to hire.

Prove me wrong though, come back with proof you got hired and I'll eat my words.

>If they didn't, what is the point of a HR face interview?
How is an HR face interview even backing up your point? You go through one no matter what route you take in applying for the job.
Why are you arguing against a strawman? Obviously connections matter, which is why I suggested actually attending events so you can make connections.

Seriously, this stuff isn't even that complicated. I hope we never hire someone like you "Stop and think about it, and I am right." Jesus fucking christ dude.

Because the point isn't to display your technical forte. We know that they will look at it and analyze it over. But if you deny that showing an interest in the company/position doesn't positively affect your chance as a candidate? Ridiculous.

It "related" to HR interview because, if you do happen to meet with a hiring person (which if you read my original post, shows that one of the point of going there, besides showing your interest and learning more about the position so that you can be a better candidate, is the probability of actually talking to someone important) you can then present yourself in a manner to describe your skills and how you could be a fit for the job. It positively affects the outcome because of your interest in actually being there. You're forming a connection, however small. It differentiates you.

You think I have a sense of self-importance because I say I'm right? What the hell? How is mine a sense of self-importance, and having a simple conversation with someone at a company not? Jesus, they're not fucking gods busy with a bigger plan. It's just a talk, dude.

Beginners don't often have connections, specially self-taught ones it's hard. Now my problem is when someone comes to argue, provides no points, other than "Throw your resume in the trash." or "retail job methods". And then I'm suddenly 'bad' for stating that I'm right, and providing reasons for it. Trust me when I say I am careful with what I talk about.

Whatever anyway, I think this has gone on long enough and keep your opinions if you will. I know I sound like an ass sometimes.

Is there an easier way to learn HTML?

I don't really need it I just have to take it for my course for some reason.

Follow any tutorial on making your first webpage and you should become more familiar with it. It's not that hard, and it's fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6CUkswsNw

How the fuck do I properly use Docker for development?
I see people everywhere raving about it, but I just don't see it.

After trying to make it work for 2 weeks, I realized Docker for Windows and Docker Machine are literally unusable unless the project is pathetically tiny - the sshfs volume mapping is so unusably slow, it makes my application 20x slower than if it was directly mounted

So what I'm using is Ubongo in a VM, sshing with x11-forwarding into it and running my Phpstorm on linux, but on a local X server (vcXsrv) on Windows.
So far, so good. But then there's another problem, and that's that files created by docker machines are created by root, since that's the default user. Docker containers seem to not respect setfacl -dR -m, so I can't access files created by docker containers (webpack, composer for example).
With normal docker, you could tell it to use the UID of your current user, but docker-compose doesn't get the $UID environment variable for some stupid reason so that won't work. Since I want to share the docker-compose environments, I can't just say user: 1000:1000, since others may not use the default user.
I don't want to use a .env file because I want the container to be zero conf. I don't want to include a fucking start script or makefile either - the shit should just work, I don't want to wrap all of docker-compose.

It seems the default solution seems to be to write a Dockerfile with an entrypoint for every fucking container, that creates the current user in the container and to then usse gosu or su-exec to execute the actual command... unless the container already has an entrypoint, in which case you're fucked.
WHAT THE FUCK?!

How can this be so fucking difficult? I'm starting to wonder if using docker for development is a good idea at all.

Is .Net Core a meme or is it really worth my time?

What advantages do you get from Docker during development?

html is incredibly self explanitory, almost everything is literally just a shortened name of what it exactly is

img is image for example, you can't really get confused

Well, supposedly it's really easy to share your environment with others. Normally, when you just share the program and installation steps, something will go wrong.
They will mess up following the installation steps, they will install different package versions than you have, they will have some weird software or cron job or whatever the fuck on the their dev system that messes up the installation...
I mean, we all know of crashes your colleagues experience but you don't, right? Heisenbugs?

Also, it's obviously faster to start a docker-compose app than to install an app. Who likes wasting a day getting some undocumented internal app to run?

However, for these advantages to apply, the fucking thing needs to work as it should. I'm starting to think that 90% of docker developers just use docker for windows / mac and they are probably too retarded to notice / don't care about the terrible performance impact that it has.
But at least it transparently chowns everything.

it's a markup language. what do you have to learn about it? or is it a whole course because that will be boring as shit. just look at the MDN html section and maybe some web standards sites.