So I habe been trying to boot a Linux Mint usb on my HP Elitebook 2540p for days now, but it just won't boot

So I habe been trying to boot a Linux Mint usb on my HP Elitebook 2540p for days now, but it just won't boot.

Tried it on my Toshiba laptop and it worked like a charm.

Why won't it work on my piece of trash HP?

Am I missing some settings? I have legacy support enabled, and USB device boot enabled.

Resd somewhere about secure boot but can't seem to find that setting any-f***ing-where.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP_EliteBook_840_G1#Using_the_.22Customized_Boot.22_path_option_.28recommended.29
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=163126
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that the BIOS? That's a nice looking BIOS

"it wont boot" is not useful information
Unless you can tell us what is stopping it from booting or where in the boot process it fails nobody can help you

It might be UEFI, but I'm not sure. According to windows I have BIOS, but it doesn't look like the typical BIOS.

It doesn't even show up in the boot options at startup.

What happens when you select "Boot from EFI file"?

I made the stick with rufus and with FAT32 as a file system if that helps? Does that make a difference?

I don't even know if it is a BIOS or UEFI.

This happens

Chek the trusted boot option.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HP_EliteBook_840_G1#Using_the_.22Customized_Boot.22_path_option_.28recommended.29

You have UEFI Boot Mode enabled as seen in You could try formatting as NTFS, I've had computers that don't like FAT32

Where is that?

Could the fact that I have legacy and uefi enabled be causing some mixup/problems?

Bump

turn off secure boot if its on

OP are you planning on wiping windows off it?

Can't find secure boot

Not originally but I am thinking about it.

Bumping

Made the usb with NTSF now. Still nothing.

Its the uefi fucking you up. Without an efi file you cant boot the usb. So you need to either turn that shit off (secureboot) or make your usb bootable with uefi grub or some shit

Oh also it HAS to be fat32 for uefi

Your issue is UEFI. UEFI is fucking cancer.
Read this guide on how to install LM on UEFI.

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=163126

OP is making the stick with Rufus which supports EFI so it should work

I know with my Elitebook 8740w with the same UEFI all I had to do was flash the ISO to a USB drive with Rufus, select it in the boot menu, and it just werked™. This was back in 2015 with both Fedora and OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

Yh I had this same issue with my pc, you have to make sure you disable legacy boot and flash the image to the usb and make sure it's a eufi bootable flashdrive otherwise it won't be seen. This is how I got it to work. I used disk32imager or something like that.

There’s a handful of HP machines with this BIOS on it. It’s not implicitly UEFI for being a mouse enabled GUI BIOS. Just a bloated and limited BIOS feature wise. They’re really not great. Just good and friendly for noobs

Yeah but if the bootx64.efi file doesn't exist it wont appear in boot list.

True. I just tried making a bootable usb with rufus and there was no efi file so that's likely it.

OP if you're still around try using Etcher