ITT Sup Forums PICKS THE LINUX DISTRO THAT WILL COMPETE WITH MAC AND WINDOWS

>enough is enough!
>the year of the Linux desktop is happening NOW but its up to you!
>you must pick a Linux distro for all normies to use so that humanity can finally throw off the Windows/Mac shackles!!!!!

What distro did you choose for this Herculean task, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Gentoo#Installation_method
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

gentoo

gentoo

Arch

Xubuntu. There is no reason to use any other Linux.

Your mom

gentoo

Unironically KDE Neon. I'm on arch with i3wm but I had to configure things and no one wants to do that. Neon works ootb and it's less resource hungry than modern Gnome.

>a Linux distro for all normies
Ubuntu is the absolutely most reasonable answer.
+ Budgie DE

is it like an improved version of Kubuntu with rolling release applications?

>Xubuntu

meme distro for people who want a fast distro for their handmedown mom laptop but are too stupid to install something better..

Don't forget, this is a thread about picking a distro for normies. We have to assume they barely even know where the power button is.

Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu are my personal favorites! :D

Fedora Linux is the easiest and most complete distro out there. And it's free.

Ubuntu Mate

>SA80
How fitting.

Parabola.

Linux is a kernel. Mac is a device. OP is a faggot.

Temple OS

gentoo

Gentoo

People should not have access to non-free software. Kind of defeats the purpose of the thread to give them a distro that isn't approved by the FSF.

>all these gentoo posts
CloverOS is the real deal. Gentoo but much lighter and easy to install

>easy to install
Gentoo isn't?

you have to compile source and add drivers and shit by yourself. I ain't got time for that
clover is basically a precompiled iso with everything ready

Xubuntu

In English please, you fucking faggot. Get the fuck off this board if you want to write like that.

wat. i'm pretty sure that was clear

either way, you need to compile the gentoo iso by yourself and configure everything
CloverOS is precompiled gentoo and ready out of the box

gentoo

>and shit
>ain't got
Yes, very clear that you are a huge faggot.
>you need to compile the gentoo iso by yourself and configure everythi
So what? It's not difficult.
>CloverOS is precompiled gentoo and ready out of the box
That's not a good thing.

Source Mage GNU/Linux (SMGL)
install it and be amazed how it's better than any faggy OSx or dumb windblowers

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Gentoo#Installation_method

I mean compilation takes a long time and unless you're a NEET with nothing else to do sticking to another distro is better
Also no bully

Ubuntu MATE

>I mean compilation takes a long time and unless you're a NEET with nothing else to do sticking to another distro is better
Things take time? What a shock.
>Also no bully
Then stop writing like a faggot. You sound like a nigger.

Not him but how are you too fucking retarded to understand what those phrases mean? Much more important, how are you so autistic to feel the need to be a crusader against modern dialect and grammar? Do you really think youre making a difference? Stop wasting brain energy talking about it

Inb4
>but aren't you wasting brain energy talking about the autist?

Yes. Yes I am.

Dude, stfu

No black person would say that. He sounds more like a honky than anything else. Do you ever leave your fucking house?

manjaro xfce

>Not him but how are you too fucking retarded to understand what those phrases mean?
I know what they mean, you stupid faggot.
>Much more important
You shouldn't post on English speaking imageboards until you have a better grasp on the language.
>how are you so autistic to(?) feel the need to be a crusader against modern dialect and grammar?
That is not what modern means.
>Do you really think youre making a difference?
I'd rather try to make a difference, that concede this board to 15 year olds from twitter and reddit.
>Dude
Go back to twitter.
I have never met a nigger before, I just know that they tend to babble and use gibberish ''words'' as well as corruptions of common phrases.

gentoo but unironically

Manjaro i3 community edition you fucking brainlet

Well, it is not ready yet, I am working on absolutely new DE.

Manjaro is the worst distro I have ever had to use.

Whatever is most likely to come with their cheap laptop, ubuntu or that chrome android meme os

The autism is strong with this one

Linux From Scratch.

>heheh "cracks fingers" I will now correct grammar, the ultimate move of dominance"

Why do Sup Forumstards are redditors always abuse the quote function like this?

But there is already a winner OP.

Mint MATE or cinamon.

Every normie that starts using linux use it, if linux desktock ever gets mainstream it will be with mint.

Ew, a frankendebian.

CRUX

>Gentoo but much ligher
... want to explain this one?

this

>what are you talking about?

These digits confirm my os choice. Been using MATE on multiple machines for a few years now.

genkernel all

Manjaro!!!

>pick a Linux distro for all normies
PCLinuxOS, comes with all drivers and codecs and with WINE configured to run Windows software by default.

Slackware

Go straight to the root. Debian. Lots of software, lots of forum post help through google, fits anyone because it can be version distro or rolling release distro. You can choose your DE and the installer is easy.

Slackware

KDE Neon

Serious answer: NixOS

* Guaranteed bit-for-bit identical software builds
* Potentially excellent troubleshooting support (just give your config to someone who can 100% reproduce your build and recreate your errors to find out how to solve them. Bonus: The solution will require almost no effort on your part, just take the modified config and stick it where it belongs, problem solved)

* No aging: A 20yr old install of NixOS will be absolutely identical to a fresh install
* Extreme customizability: Declarative package management means you can get the same diversity in software of the entire space of GNU/Linux distros on a single distro.

* Technically source based, but able to act as a unique type of "hybrid" due to point #1 above (bit-for-bit identical software builds) which allows them to offer binary downloads as a convenience to save time. So it feels like a binary distro, but is the same result as if you built everything from source.
* Solves the same problem snaps and flatpak do but more efficiently. Want to install some 3rd party software not in the NixOS repos? Well a 100% reproducible build of that software is just 1 ".nix" file away.

Did I miss anything?

I'm a brainlet when it comes to computers, but I did just install galliumos on my chromebook. It's pretty neat. I'm pretty happy about it, and just needed to tell people, cuz I have no frens. Will be daily driver.

>cringe thread is getting actual responses
Sup Forums is too far gone
nuke it

Oh and did I mention you can give Mom a very customized riced out installation of NixOS with just a single config file? Tell her where to drop it, hit install, and done.

Easy...
Solus

Linux Mint

Why not, doesn't preventing people from using non free software contradict the idea of freedom with software? It should be available for those who want it, but by default it shouldn't be included.

Ubuntu mate is jack of all tales.

I don't want Linux to try compete with windows. Not everything needs to dominate the market faggot

Probably rhel or centos for normies

Maybe one day but nixos community is still pretty small

Customization was COMPLETELY broken in Ubuntu Budgie for me.
Which is sad because I love budgie and want to swap back to *buntu

Ubuntu MATE is the best distro I have ever used. It just works.

Android
B T F O
T
F
O

no doubts Gentoo is is the future for all of humanity.

my rule of thumb for setting up on tech illiterate user computer is Solus OS. just werks really.

the poobrown Ubuntu GNOME variant (17.10) they released recently is a memory leaking, freezing, unstable pajeetware. Unity stuff was at least reasonably working.

Debian MATE is where it's at. just cannot go wrong with the stability, moderate sysadmin neckbeard and Gnome (2) looks. except for systemd i guess.

solus or openSUZE

>I don't want Linux to try compete with windows.

Cuck detected. Loser mentality.

>i am a corporate consumerist whore

good, good

>doesn't want Linux to compete against Windows

You're the corporate whore here, fag.

misunderstood the post and wasn't the Sup Forums frendo you were replying to.

wish companies and organizations involved with FOSS were putting the 'inclusiveness' jewgolds into projects themselves instead of enabling tranny freaks and wimin. in other hand being 'progressive' may be a good, long-term investment strategy.

it doesn't matter what Sup Forums picks
if you want the year of the linux desktop
go make some OEM contracts

as long as the preinstalled OS has an office suit and a browser, 95% of consumers probably won't even notice it's not windows

gentoo

The right answer is Ubuntu MATE

Not until:

>Universal x11 replacement.
>Solve the qt / gtk mess.
>All the main (non specific) DE's come together to make a really good stable, customisable, resource friendly but good looking DE. + mac level of polishing (remember normies)
>Focus on long setup time, but holding the users hand in the process of Installing software and customization. Automatic drivers have become excellent these last years though. except for Nvidishit
>Almost all / all propitiatory software supported natively (even microsoft) if no popular and superior alternative and gaymus. (Getting better by the day)
>Set up systems for great and free support, basically specific and free IRC without attitude trough main website.
>Arch wiki levels of Documentation.
>Daring to ask about 15-20 Amerishekels for it.
>Supported as the main line desktop by all the big Linux partners / Distro's
>Hardliner stance on privacy and security. (don't fix whats not broken)
>Microsoft imploding because of security risks.
>Unity's search functions where pretty nice tbqfhwyfam

What did I forget?

>mac level of polishing (remember normies)

most normaies don't use Mac so this is not needed. Windows-level is fine.

Android. It just werks.
We need a desktop version of this shit, but not a rebagged Gentoo.

Ubuntu LTS with Unity was perfect, but it's falling behind the times now, and I don't have nearly as much confidence in the upcoming Ubuntu LTS with Gnome.

Seconding Slackware.

All those in favour say 'aye'.

Easy. Solus, Manjaro, or Antergos. Normies don't want to have to constantly reinstall, and they sure as hell don't want to compile. They want something that, you guessed it, just works.

>doesn't preventing people from using non free software contradict the idea of freedom with software?
>doesn't preventing people from enslaving others contradict the idea of freedom?

Isn't Solus a fairly buggy OS right now?

You wish has been granted!
Android is your man.

That was the whole point of Ubuntu

I don't mean copy the mac style just their autistic tendencies for polishing. Mac OS is shit, but looks pretty alright. Im all for user customization in the setup process.

There is absolutely no reason to ever use android on a x86 platform. Better integration with Android software would be really great though.

What is better than xubuntu?

>are too stupid to install something better..

or maybe they aren't autists who want to spend all their time messing with config files to get anything working

Void

Ubuntu MATE > Xmemetu