I thought this was going to unbloat Firefox, why does it still take 500mb more ram than Chromium with a single tab...

I thought this was going to unbloat Firefox, why does it still take 500mb more ram than Chromium with a single tab? I want to like Firefox, but this is just bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stop falling for mozilla memes, use esr or one of the shitty clones

firefox is primarily developed by beginner, african, or sjw female devs
there's literally no reason to use it

but I want a secure browser, not something that will never receive an update again

Best to use a really outdated browser. And a portable version of a modern browser. It's a pain in the ass but if you care about performance it's best to only use a modern browser when you need HTML5.

currently 357M with 15 tabs, nigger

qutebrowser is secure

>citation needed
it really isn't

teach me how cunt

how? are you doing something special?

>there's literally no reason to use it
It doesn't suffer from Chrome's font rendering.

if i cared i would just use safari

I'd rather use Edge than that garbage.

What's wrong with Chrome font rendering?
Chrome's font looks better to me than Firefox's (less blurry).

It's literally based on the Chromium engine, without all the other chromium bullshit. It's the perfect browser.

Chrome's font rendering is blurry as fuck.
Firefox respects your system's font rendering, so if you're seeing blurry font rendering on Firefox you have issues elsewhere.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox
ITT: ppl complaining about improvements they don't understand

firefox from your official GNU/Linux repo
umatrix+ublock origin are the only addons you need
umatrix should obviously be in whitelist mode
make the typical about:config privacy tweaks
disable all url bar and search bar completions
never remember forms or passwords
clear everything except history on exit

more accurately, chrome tends to thin down and soften fonts so it looks smoother.
If you open that image full screen you can better tell the difference in the m in Tom

Use Waterfox.

did you alter the performance options, like content process limit?

i use opera, it not that small, but smaller that firefox.

Is this true? I have been meaning to change browser, but such a small open source project makes me nervous. I mean unlike major browsers it won't be subject to white hats trying to break it

no

Good job user.
You must be enjoying their free vpn too

brainlets begone

user, that's closed source chinese software.

See - it uses QtWebEngine which is a fork of Chromium maintained by the Qt team - which is by no means a "small project". The qutebrowser guy is only building the other stuff around it, he's not working on the actual web engine.

I use Ubuntu, but subjectively I like Chrome's / Chromium's rendering more (the font looks less blended together).

Here user, with no add-ons.

>firefox from your official GNU/Linux repo
and which one is that? and why not the one from mozilla? pleb

What are you, a windows user?

Just buy more RAM LUUL

no :^)

I use WaterFox for that purpose.

>not esr
>secure
lel. i bet you use nightly and kiss girls, faggot

I have 32 RAM

>complains about chrome's font
>shows image where chrome looks better

What did he mean by this?

i use Arch Linux

lol thats some 1998 shit man

me too

support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

because firefox has shit memory management

Closing tabs does not really release the memory that is used.

e10s is not really multi-process thing, it doesn't equal one tab, one process so actually releasing the memory used by a tab in firefox is a complex process, they didn't even try to make it happen.

It also happens because of how firefox stores recently closed tabs. They store the entire thing in memory so you can quickly reopen it. The more memory you have the more recently closed tabs it stores that way.

you can influence this with

>browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

or using things such as memory cache

>Browser.cache.memory.capacity

It's funny how on Sup Forums nobody knows shit about inner workings of the browsers they use.

Starting to get tired of this bloaty buggy shit.

ok I am using it now, it's wonderful. what's the catch? Other than insert mode being occasionally annoying like when pasting stuff

> what's the catch?
No addons for now. Also
>python
>qt
if you care about that

Well, they claim that it's because even though they start off using more ram, each new tab will end up taking less....

I don't buy that.
Modern browsers are getting INSANELY bloated. My browser repeatedly uses more than 3gb of ram. All the addons I use are lastpass, ublock and tampermonkey.

Use ESR you cuck

>Modern browsers are getting INSANELY bloated.
Because at this point webpages are full applications and web browsers have to contain the features of an entire operating system just to display a fucking login page. There is an entire software stack in your browser, that's cloned for every tab you open, since most browsers do 1 process per tab.

There is literally a thread scheduler, interrupt system, message passing system, network stack, filesystem interface, hundreds of thousands of lines of library code, and multiple graphics interfaces including some opengl support, all built in to every browser, just so that that login button can have a nice animation when you click on it.

Yeah, they are applications... Applications built on a technology that was meant for describing documents - hence Document Object Model.
Bastardizing the model by abusing it like that is a huge mistake.
I don't mind the web being able to provide powerful applications, but those shouldn't be HTML based.
And as a matter of fact, many of the most impressive applications aren't - WebAssembly and canvas should be enough. I seriously hope libraries that build on those instead emerge.

Honestly, even though it was a clusterfuck of poor engineering and security flaws, I wish java webstart hadn't died out. That model was the right way to handle full featured web based applications, a self contained executable running on a secure and sandboxed vm written in a real applications language. The problem was that oracle is incapable of keeping their shit secure, so having JWS enabled was a massive security issue

I hear you.

>"45" on his cuff

Took me a while to understand what it stands for, nice.

>tfw want to use qute but since I don't have ublock killing amgload fucks the site for me

I still use Waterfox

Not sure what you mean but after running update-adblock or whatever that command is everything works just fine, including posting on Sup Forums

it looks shittier too

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS FUCK UP THE NEW TAB PAGE

the adblock (which is host based anyway) doesn't block the amgload cancer that Hiro put on the website, you have to block it in your hosts/router and doing that breaks the site's css unfortunately, since that's what the script does.

Opera is 30% faster.