Ditch the router

>ditch the router
>ditch the modem
>sign up for an unlimited 4G LTE plan
>use your phone hotspot as home internet
could this work feasibly in the US?

No. LTE is shit and they will likely cancel your contract.

could be ok, but LTE can vary greatly in speed over time

There's no such thing as unlimited 4G in the states.

A lot of providers have soft caps and rules for unlimited plans. Like max 60Gb per month, after that your speed gets severely throttled.

I saw Verizon was doing a thing with unlimited tethering, though you might be deprioritized in times of congestion

test

I do this because my rural area does not have any infrastructure, including running water and power
I pay $30 a month for 'unlimited 4glte' in the US; after 5gb it throttles to 64kb/s, yes kilobit not byte. It absolutely sucks.
Also because of mobile ip ranges I'm constantly catching rangebans on my favorite boards

There is no upside it's total hell
The us is a third world country

You forgot the part where they call a limited plan "unlimited"

i dont know about united poos but here where i live i did this to save money when i was a student
worked fine, but it drains your battery quickly, and makes your phone warm, and when your battery is low and you charge it, it gets even more hot if you would like to use internet while it's charging, and everytime you want to use something at your home requiring internet access you got to enable the hotspot from your phone
it sure worked but i dont think its a good long term solution to use phone hotspot as your home connection, probably not good for your battery on long run and it's annoying to depend on your phone and to keep turning on the hotspot everytime you need it

also as others said in the US your plans not might work for this since it might not be truly unlimited,, where I am my carrier does not give a shit, it truly is unlimited and they didnt mind me using several hundred GBs at best, they just once offered me to upgrade to a faster plan because i apparently used a lot of data, kek

Try not living in the middle of nowhere.

Yes. I have been doing it for 2 years now.
Find the best carrier and go with them or their MVNO.
In my area Verizon and AT&T have the best speeds so I go with them.

Go with Unlimited LTE plans and try to use a rooted phone with a VPN.

>cancel your contract

no one does this. If it were as easy as abusing a hotspot to get out of a contract, everyone would do it.

No such thing as a truly unlimited plan in murica, and you can't use a Hotspot on an 'unlimited' plan goyim

If you don't torrent or watch streaming videos then it's feasable.

I chew through my data just watching youtube in two days

I got 300 minutes + 300SMS and unlimited data for $5 in Soviet Russia.
WTF, I love gulag now.

Yeah, but you would be relying on a wireless only connection with lots of latency, so online gaming would be out of the question. And your phone battery would run out all the time...

I'm curious, do American plans vary significantly state to state according to laws/infrastructure or do companies just have a set model that applies everywhere? Excluding major cities of course

wait for 5g
LTE craps out when you get a call

it's the same nation wide but they are pretty universally shit
Some cities and states have better cable internet than others

I have an old unlimited Verizon plan from 3g days when they were begging for anyone to sign up for data. This is because I read and haven't signed a new contract since 2008. All my phones are purchased without the carrier.

I've overheard account reps talk people out of their old grandfathered data plans with lure of shiny phones and lower bills but it's all relative and you'd be surprised how many people trust the sales man getting kickbacks frome phone manufacturers over reading themselves. Sell 10 phones and get your own free is pretty common shit.

When I moved a few years ago I would just tether my cellphone to a computer and then bridge to wireless router. Could function as normal Internet WiFi for house. Latency was higher for games but not bad. I ran that way for a few months before buying dedicated cable after finding a job. I just wanted to keep costs low at the time. Considering doing it again because of annoying Comcast bandwidth limits that have been introduced.

>mfw this will be the superior way to get internet in Australia

enjoy your "unexplained" diseases from radiation, soygoycuck!

you wont be so smug anymore

>implying LTE is ionizing radiation

You're right.
They cite the part of your contract that says you won't abuse their service, and tell you you now owe the disconnect fee, all remaining balances, and the remainder of the cost of your phone/LTE hotspot.
THEN they cancel your contract.

This is feasible. On AT&T's unlimited plan you really get unlimited data but you're subject to deprioritization (people paying per GB get priority over you). Usually you'll get max speed outside peak time, and you'll get maybe a mb/s under the most congested conditions. Depending on where you live you might never see lower than max speed.

The unlimited plus plan gives 22GB at high priority before you're subject to deprioritization. It's like $20 more if that's worth it to you.

>buy "unlimited" LTE
>hit 2GB softcap
>get throttled to 56k model tier speeds
The US got the wool pulled over its eyes by the industry oligarchs and shit the bed when it came to building out infrastructure.

>soygoycuck
jesus christ m8 take a break

>trusting jewish physics books
soygoy cuck

But but but net neutrality was a good thing

it works in the eu, you cucks

>unlimited 4G LTE plan

no such thing, there is allways a limit

Not "deprioritized", that refers to non-tethering data once you exceed 22GB. Tethered data gets capped at 600kbps (75KB/s) after you exceed 15GB of tethering.

To avoid this, I use a 3rd party app to mask tethering as just regular mobile data usage. I still get "deprioritized" by Verizon at times (middle of the day seems to be when it happens), but it's way better than being stuck with a max speed of 75KB/s.

Pretty feasible, OP. I use around 200GB a month.

Our mobile service ISPs would never do unlimited data

>There's no such thing as unlimited 4G in the states.
3rd world scum

Third world here, we can get 3GB per day for 28days at less than $8.

Damn, I pay ~12 USD

>unlimited
>throttled
no thx, retard

I did this with t-mobile. Got the unlimited LTE+tethering and a Hotspot for a cabin in the woods. Also flashed "John's fork" on my Tmobile-branded AC68 and used the Hotspot as a usb modem for the router. 150mbps down and 10 up

I did this for a while after a hurricane. Our power still worked, but cable and internet was down. I set my dad up to connect their smart TV to his phone being used as a hotspot. I connected my desktop to mine via an old PCI WiFi card I had laying around. Between the 2 of us, we managed to use around 600GB worth of data in 5 or so days it took the cable company to fix their shit. His Netflix/YouTube all defaulted to 1080p. And I downloaded various steam games and general browsing.

The only thing we received from T-Mobile was a heads up saying something like "make sure your device is secure. You have uncharacteristically high data usage this month. Someone might be tethered to you and you don't realize". Technically after 23GB they're allowed to throttle me, but they never did.