/vwg/ - Vaporwave General

>new purple album coming soon
>HKE: If I had to use one word to describe the new 2814 album, it would be "intense"

Other urls found in this thread:

radmagma.bandcamp.com/album/one-night-in-neo-kobe
dick-fart-vagina-butt.tumblr.com/post/97339062182/lizardbirdthing-the-man-the-oscob
plasticresponserecords.bandcamp.com/album/late-night-stereo
discogs.com/猫-Corp-Late-Night-Stereo/release/6472269
youtu.be/xYQrPsyu-1s
www103.zippyshare.com/v/yYpLUXFd/file.html
soundcloud.com/terrorhythm/deadcrow-wifi-1
soundcloud.com/terrorhythm/deadcrow-idk-1
soundcloud.com/skit/skit-moods-1
d-r-o-m-e.bandcamp.com/album/red-dreams
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh great, another wave of shilling from this fucking guy.

That first record was essentially a trend-hop shilled until reddit thought it was a masterpiece. Even had the perfect pandering aspects like "muh dystopia" "muh vinyl".

Please fuck off.

hke is a poor fool

> a poorfool

You're a fucking cunt, HKE. Go shill on reddit.

>oh nice, a vaporwave general -
>2814 in op

this is pain

Not HKE, sorry.

I purposely used it to draw attention.
I'll refrain from that next time.

What about this one?

>I purposely used it to draw attention.
That's sad as fuck, faggot.

It worked on the other threads, plus /vwg/ always dies prematurily.

This one is good, yeah

This one's pretty good, although a bit chiptune-ish.
radmagma.bandcamp.com/album/one-night-in-neo-kobe

Are people mad that this one isn't sped-up 80s pop songs hacked together by an ugly man who thinks he is a chick?

what happened to deep web?

these guy actually tried to make vaperwave record label and actually made vaperwave music videos lmfao

remember when oscob left tumblr because people made fun of vaporwave

"well senpai...."

Remember when Oscob beefed with FrankJavCee because Frank wasn't taking it seriously?

what is this

Well, this is it senpai.

When I started this blog (postlimit.com states my blog’s birthday as 29 Jan 2012) I needed it. I was at a point in my life where I was fresh out of rehab, fresh off heroin, and fresh off of ending my engagement with my ex-fiancee.

It was that Sunday night that I was in a very dark place, I reached out to omegle chat (hey we’ve all been there) and ended up talking to a very kind and sweet girl from Australia who listened to my woes. I asked her what I should do to keep my mind occupied and fill my time, she suggested tumblr. (Unfortunately I have since forgotten her url, she is really the one to thank for the birth of oscob)

And then began my three year journey of building the oscob brand.

Since then, tumblr has brought a lot of joy into my life, I have met some fucking amazing people. People who I am lucky to have in my life right now. It’s been a place for me to share my opinions and thoughts, and to discuss and promote really the only reason I stayed on tumblr for as long as I have: Vaporwave.

And now it has reached a point where tumblr is hurting me more than helping me. All because of a fucking out of context tweet that everyone assumed I was being 100% serious about, not totally aware of the banality of it. To put in a term that we use in Alcoholics Anonymous: “It’s fucking up my serenity.”

But to be perfectly honest, this isn’t the first time tumblr woes have seeped into my real life. Which is probably a good sign that my time here is over.

I guess what is most upsetting for me is that fact that, aside from the actual fucked up things I have said on this website, the most I’m getting shamed for is the goddamn music I enjoy. I just don’t want to be apart of this anymore.

Aside for one more Rez X Oscob album that will be released this year, I’m going to to change my musical identity too. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my soundcloud, but regardless, I will follow in the footsteps of Blank Banshee and Telepath, and just be another faceless vaporwave producer. And no one beyond the people closest to me will know that it is me.

But all in all, I’m at a much better place now then I was when I started tumblr, I’m clean and sober, I’m back to furthering my education, I’ve made some friends that I hold very close to my heart, and I’m all around just a more positive and happy person. And if tumblr is taking that happiness away from me, it’s time to move on.

I’m going to leave this post up for 24 hours before I hand the account off to my close friend Rez (who will also be doing the upkeep on the DC tumblr). I will reblog it a few times. This leaves a period of time for people who are interested in keeping up with me once I leave tumblr to ask for my skype, and/or whatsapp number (please just mutuals, and followers I know who have been with me for a while).

Again, if you want to keep in touch with me after tomorrow, send me an ask or fan mail to get my contact information.

Now I know this post will be found by the people who distain me, it will be passed around, mocked, and laughed at. I don’t care anymore, let that be a testament as to why I am leaving this place.

It was fun while it lasted guys. I’m proud of the people I opened vaporwave up to, and I’m proud of the people who have thanked me for helping them on their own personal journey from drug addiction. I guess in the end that is probably the best thing to come out of this entire experience.

I’m gonna continue making vaporwave, I’m going to stay clean, and I’m going to continue living my life the way I want to.

I guess the only thing really left to say is

Please Stay Legend

dick-fart-vagina-butt.tumblr.com/post/97339062182/lizardbirdthing-the-man-the-oscob

Superior album

DUDE HARD VAPOUR

I like the vapeywaves! Haircuts for men, 猫 シ Corp, Oscob, the list goes on!

this one has some really nice atmospheres but it's not very fleshed out

is for people with erectile disfunction syndrome

Yikes, those artists are all shit.

buy milk

Dude, let's just slow down 80's tracks without bothering to do much of anything to them, and then get someone to make some nice looking art, then sell hundreds of cassettes to these hipsters, we'll make a fortune!

plasticresponserecords.bandcamp.com/album/late-night-stereo

dude, stop being jealous just cause your own bandcamp memenoise project isn't selling jackshit

is that a reference to paranoia 1.0?

I really like Hong Kong Express's s/t and "This" albums. Great downtempo music that don't become a slowed-down muzak shitshow like 99% of vaporwave.
His new album as just HKE is just boring IDM though, and he seems like a faggot based on his Twitter.
Dream Catalogue has some cool stuff, you've got to commend them for trying to breathe some new life into a stale genre. When I finish my industrial tech-house album I'm going to send it to them and see if I get a response.

I don't even have a serious vaporwave album released yet mate, well I have a JOKE project which I actually did get bandcamp supporters and hundreds of downloads even though I took about 2 hours to make it. Also, if you like this album you are what's wrong with vaporwave fans. You know what, I'm gonna ironically make a bunch more lazy vaporwave albums like that, even lazier then the first one I made, I'll have some pretentious concept behind the album and rip off some decent art work, you'd love it.

If you do make sure to pretend to be Ukrainian, they eat that shit up.

Fuck off 猫 シ Corp, your music is trite lazy ass garbage.

Yeah I think that one only sold well due to the awesome album cover and cassette layout, and the lame gimmick they gave it, it's pretty subpar vaporwave really.

2814 isn't vaporwave idiot.

this

>dicking around with samples
>add guitar amp effects and random cut n paste trickery
>suddenly, GROOVY industrial riffs

D A M N

Wolfenstein had it all wrong. The future of vaporwave isn't 808 kicks, it's industrial metal.

I was going to go for a neo-Soviet bootleg aesthetic

I hope you don't mean in a hardvapour way cause that shit is tacky as fuck.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with liking lazy music, as long as you admit that it's guilty pleasure, the people actually paying $60 for it are what's wrong with vaporwave. "Dude I have to have that lazily slowed down 80's music on cassette, and I have to have it now! Cd? Wtf is that junk, those are for old people, cassettes are cool and hip and in! Mom! Give me some money, I need it to buy things!"

discogs.com/猫-Corp-Late-Night-Stereo/release/6472269

>in a hardvapour way
I have no clue what this means
All Dream Catalogue releases have dumb aesthetics, I thought it was part of the fun

Lmfao look at the record label that released it, they are selling it for $75 on discogs hahaha. I bet some idiot will buy it too! I gotta start my own vaporwave label soon while it still remains profitable.

Aloe Island Posse has neat aesthetics.

And hardvapour aesthetics are basically just cheap-ass vapor aesthetics but with cyrillic letters instead of gook letters and emerald green instead of pink.

>tfw you'll never go back to 2012 when vaporwave was mysterious and had a sheen of casual mysticism to it
Not h8ing on current vaporwave since it's an entirely different thing, but I really miss the old days of vaporwave, when it was just a bunch of people exploring this weird new thing, digging around the internet to find releases that didn't even have labels and being able to collective reminisce about something we never really thought about before. But at the end of the day it was still just this casual kind of silly thing that nobody took seriously even though we all appreciated it. But now it's a mix of kids centering their entire lifestyle around it while simultaneously ruining it with memes, egotistical late comers fighting over the scraps of popularity, and people like HKE who treat it so seriously because they have nothing else going on in their lives. I don't think things should go back to that since it really only made sense at the time, but I do still get a bit of sad nostalgia when I remember vaporwave still exists and that there won't ever be another music scene with that level of naive optimism again. Anyone feel me?

I wasn't into vaporwave when it first came out but I know what you mean, nowadays there is so much lazy garbage vaporwave that get's eaten up by dumbasses, most of my favorite vaporwave albums are a few years old but I do like some new ones too.

Ive only been listening for about a year, but the sense of wonder for me has mostly been lost since i got caught up with following artists and labels and the drama bullshit. I remember when i first dived in and i would just listen to like 5 hour vaporwave mixes and just let them flow by never remembering a single track. It really taps into a unique emotion. I still love vaporwave but its not the same

shit like those dummy mag articles killed it

What do you guys think of the new dds.wmv album? Overall I thought it was pretty good but some of it was disappointingly bland, and it's not as good as their previous albums like ITLLT or 世界大戦OLYMPICS.

I still need to give it a few more spins. I agree its good but the concept isnt anything new.

>and just let them flow by never remembering a single track
For sure. As someone who was "producing" (I really just consider it curating) back then, it wasn't about the artist or their abilities, but about the music itself. You could like particular artists more than others because they'd sample or treat sound in a way that might resonate with you more, but I never got the feeling that I was up on a podium expressing myself or whatever. It was like this dialogue between how I see nostalgia and the people listening to it. It was very humble for the most part, and I really respected that. Even Future Funk, which I've never liked, didn't take itself too seriously. But once HKE and that whole crew rolled it, it completely switched to just a bunch of people equally participating in this reciprocal thing to a sort of technical dick measuring contest, and the whole 'heart' of vaporwave as this equal shared experience died out. I get accused of just being a proverbial old man for it, but I really haven't listened to any vaporwave post-2014 because it just isn't able to effect me in that way anymore, while the old releases have a degree of meta nostalgia, where I'm nostalgia for the nostalgia I used to have listening to them

I never gave a shit about vaporwave until very recently so I can't really relate to what you're saying, but I also try to stay the fuck away from all the drama between the producers because I don't want that bullshit to ruin my enjoyment of the music.

Now with that being said, I'm generally happy that some producers take that shit more seriously because it means we get some higher-quality releases from them, and less shitty millenial memes. Vaporwave is nostalgic music and I don't want to be reminded that some of the people who make it are dumb kids like me. Like how am I supposed to get immersed in the retrofuturistic VHS world if some teenage faggot is shoving his instagram selfies in my face?

So if some producers are more committed to the music than to goofing around, I think it's a good thing as long as they don't boast it and show themselves off.

Just make cool music and don't ruin the aesthetics with your stupid face.

isn't this basically garden of delete

Very remotely.
Garden of Delete is more like if you took a teenage metalhead's guitar pro tabs, glitched the fuck out of them and made it into an album.
Not the same approach.

But as I've already said, there's a lot more to the late 80s than TV ads for yuppies and comfy anime, there's a ton of edgy stuff that's yet to be exploited.

>literally the only good vaporwave album of the last 6 months.

I disagree
this has some wonderful atmosphere, even if it's literally just that

Explain to me how that album is better than Very Private?

better is not a requirement for good

This album is pretty good, but for vaporwave albums that came out in the last 6 months I prefer Japanese Symbols in a City at Night by Schneekersfield, it's a true masterpiece.

What are the best and worst vaporwave labels?

>caring about labels
>not just listening to vaporwave you like.
I'd say Roundhouse Records either way.

I blame Reddit

No I just want some opnions. Like I have favorite labels in other genres so why not vaporwave?

So i'm kinda new in this genre.
Is this really that bad that they made a memei out of this

Because I'd rather not get bogged down in bullshit drama about each label's money-grubbing practices.

Having favorite labels isn't something to be proud of and to argue about anyway.

Best: Beer on the rug, Orange Milk

Worst: Illuminated paths (shittiest quality cassettes ever), Dmt rec (no quality control at all, tons of shitty projects made by the label creator with no effort)

bingo

I'd say it is. Vaporwave is supposed to take you to a world where the internet is still a wondrous and exciting thing (or simply doesn't exist) instead of being a cesspool of shitposts and dumb memes.
So, making memes about vaporwave (at least to the extent where they get mean-spirited and are appropriated as part of 2010s culture) is a bad thing in my opinion because it breaks the immersion.

it's a dead genre. Hasn't been relevant since 2013(around the time i left Sup Forums) . Just came back here so i'm not sure why there is a thread.

Oh well back to /KPG/

Well k i've been listening to artzie music and triangle music these days and I tell you it's lit like positive vibes
youtu.be/xYQrPsyu-1s

I've seen alot of videos on YT so no it's not dead

Remember when we made a vaporwave compilation? Only the few survivors know.

Speaking of edgy shit, can I get some feedback and advice?

I've been posting some of my stuff in previous threads and got some nice returns on my prototype track but now I'm trying to make something less half-assed and lengthier.

It's basically sample-based black metal, but I don't know shit about music theory so I'm working at random.
I need to know if it's too repetitive, which riffs work, and if I should ass more samples for aesthetic purposes. I want it to be evocative and atmospheric.

www103.zippyshare.com/v/yYpLUXFd/file.html

thanks in advance

oh yeah definitely

So do we discuss vaportrap/UK wave here?

soundcloud.com/terrorhythm/deadcrow-wifi-1

What genre is this senpai?

cloud rap beats

This stuff would sound a lot worse with some meme verses

soundcloud.com/terrorhythm/deadcrow-idk-1

I really wish this wavey producer shit had an actual name to it since I love it

more seriously it's witch house leaning on vaportrap.
I fucking hate it. It tries to sound "ethereal" and shit but the DRY-ASS, overly loud trap beats completely clash with that. It's like trying to relax while some asshole is poking you in the ribs.

Oscob is really a repugnant human being. He would have done better not to post his photos on socials.

Yeah, what a poor jerk he is

LMAO

Indeed

so much this. r/vaporwave ruined vaporwave.

Yeah, the only good album is that ISUZU PIAZZA's album

right

soundcloud.com/skit/skit-moods-1

Fucking amazing, everyone needs to check this out.

Do you guys want to hear a vaporwave album I made out of 80s Soviet commercials?

Dmt rec is embarrassing, dude. One of the worst label in the history of music

I actually agree with this guy.

ok

Wong. This was.

d-r-o-m-e.bandcamp.com/album/red-dreams

damn this is spooky shit
It's giving me nasty flashbacks
Very good material, eerie, very immersive and atmospheric, with a distinctive aesthetic that's not forced. Only problem is that it seems very low-effort, minimal and could use extra fleshing out.

>Only problem is that it seems very low-effort, minimal and could use extra fleshing out.

Never gonna pretend it was. My mindset during the whole thing was trying to make something like Midnight Television-style vaporwave since that's one of my favorite styles that seems severely underrepresented; think I ended up with more of a Prism Genesis vibe.

Yep, pretty successful. Good choice of samples.

can I get feedback on this?

What album is that? I can't find the artwork on Google image search

Is this literally the only guy to transcend vaporwave?

I think the way you manipulated the samples works really well the black metal, and its somewhere halfway between sounding distant and sounding ambient, which makes it much more spaced out; which, if you're going for a more ambient sound, the repetitiveness I feel reinforces that, the way it does in black metal in general.

While I don't think the screaming adds the ambiance, it's neat how it ended up turning into just whispers.