>copying your own files is okay
>copying someone else's files is not okay
i dont understand

>stealing your own items
OK
>stealing someone elses items
NOT OK

Ok?

if someone steals from you and then you sneak into their house to get it back is it still stealing?

copying != stealing

Who cares?

Baaa

Copying your own files isn't okay either. That's why there are restrictions that allow only one copy for one computer. Welcome to DRM.

>"making a exact copy of something is stealing, guys!"

this argument may work in le epic internet fights but not with the law. enjoy your eventual prison life boys

It's not theft but it's illegal in most countries to reclaim your possession(s) unless you do it immediately in connection to a crime. For example if someone steals your phone you can chase them down and take it back but if you the next day see that person with your phone you can't legally take it back but instead need to contact the police.

/thread

damn kids with their retarded posts

lol american?

troll thread

Why do pirates try so hard to justify their bullshit? Just acknowledge you don't want to pay for it. Mental gymnastics you do is fucking crazy

what if I chased him for a day?

oy vey think of the profits

>prison life
>americans

hear me out boys
lets say you documented this event on video
>hello m'aam.
>pick up her handbag
>I believe this is mine
>slowly back away
>her
>no wtf give it back
lets say she doesn't say this. Would the handbag now belong to you?

Next step. Do this with any copyrighted material.

Please point out a flaw

>thinking about your own idea
OK
>thinking about someone else's idea
NOT OK

am i doin it rite?

Why does this particular subject seem controversial when everyone here stands united against communism? This is inconsistent.

In society we respect property rights for good reason. Unlike with physical goods the value/utility of digital goods is the information itself and/or access to it.
By pirating content you obviously do not steal the property (i.e. take it away from somebody) but violate property rights by gaining access to the utility without the owners consent.

In the case of copying and sharing you illegally obtained copy you also devalue the legal copies/access rights of others.

>tomato tomato
You gain access to goods or services without paying for them thus violating property rights.

Someone post the bike pic

Use the correct terms then. Embezzlement is not theft either, it's embezzlement.

I like to call it jaywalking. Except om sundays, when I call it genocide.

I hope you people have no qualms about Chinese "copying" military secrets.

that's the thing, copyright is mostly there so that other big entities donotsteal.jpg

a couple of pirates are no threat in comparison to corporate espionage

>prison

This, I'll never understand it either.
No one can non-ironically say that they 100% think piracy is ethically right.
I couldn't care less if people pirate but I'm starting to despise everyone that does because all they seem to do is constantly try to justify themselves online with retarded mental gymnastics cope.

That's cause piracy or piracy- theft is a shaming term and it's suppose to make you feel guilty, has nothing to do with the action itself.
The term is coined by people that probably don't even fully understand how it works, otherwise it wouldn't be called like that.

LMAO, what kind of shithole you live in that sends people to prison for non-profit copyright violation, lol.

That's for civil courts LMAO.

I always say that i dont want to/can't pay

When I download an episode of TV or a film that is on Netflix I am actually saving them money by not using their bandwidth to download it.

What now capitalists?

Once again, if you steal something from someone, then the person that you are stealing from will not have the thing that you stole.

>borrow an anatomy book from a friend
>use it to study
>write an exam
>get called by the professor
>go into his office
>says I made a copyright infringement because the book isn't mine as I've merely borrowed it from someone else who paid for it
>have to pay a fine for piracy, plus 2 years in prison for using pirated information in a test

>Just acknowledge you don't want to pay for it.
Of course I don't, what's the problem?

>NSA copies all of your data and media

IT'S NOT STEALING GOY!!!
WE DIDN'T TAKE ANYTHING WE DUPLICATED IT! :^)

I don't see how the whole "stealing" thing is an issue.
The very fact that you are supposedly stealing money from corporations is exactly what makes piracy so awesome.

>Listening to a song on radio is okay
>Humming to a song is okay
>Writing the notes of the song is okay
>Calculating the digital expression of the song into a notebook is okay
>Reciting the digital expression out loud by yelling a string of 0 and 1 is okay

BUT
>It's not okay to digitalize or automate this process

You're taking profits off so it's stealing.

It's ethnically right muh nigga

and who exactly are you?

reminder that if you don't pirate you're paying to be a cuckold over 1s and 0s

>americans

tell that to megaupload and thepiratebay

Hey if you feign stupidity and reduce everything to facile arguments, you can always be right! You'll be the most popular mangirl on the imageboard and everyone will agree with you.
You did it, sweetie!

this
copy/paste was a mistake

If I'm using a computer program, I am gaining access to a service which is provided automatically (by the computer), therefore requiring no payment. In fact I AM paying for the service, because I pay for the electrons coming out of the wall which enables the program to work on its own.
Sure, I may have still stolen a product (the computer program itself) but don't delude yourself into thinking that I'm stealing both goods AND services.

Ethics are not technology

>living in an area where arrest is possible

Ethics are a subset of every faucet of human life, Fedora-kun

>faucet
oh fuck, I have destroyed any hope of rational response

no you got consecutive 5s so you're fine

All I'm sayin is, one board one topic
ethics go to

It most definitely will, since theft and copyright infringement are two completely separate crimes. Show me one case of someone being found guilty of theft for pirating something.

>I pay for electricity, I therefore have the right to use whatever is fueled by electricity.
I can cross the bridge without paying toll because I pay for the gas.

Yeah, you are paying. Not just the original owner and not the price he asked for their labor.

Why can't you just be honest to yourself if you steal/pirate/*insert your favorite term*.

You use shit that ain't yours without paying at the expense of others because you can and ramifications are de facto non existent. Period.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. All I want is people not to be smug about it and call it what it is.

only pay for things if you have to. If you are smart enough to get something for free then you deserve it.