/prod/ general - everything music production

it's almost 2am here, meaning everything i produce now sounds weird as fuck since i am just throwing a bunch of random fucking noises into a track, hoping it sounds good.

clyp.it/csdgdbak

>clyp related

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/mzxs5nnr
clyp.it/vyouxus2
clyp.it/ze5x3hyt
clyp.it/idjy4sel
clyp.it/ktlu1mur
clyp.it/hxa1vrb5
clyp.it/dejrrm1v
soundonsound.com/sos/sep09/articles/compressionmadeeasy.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Gkp05lmogIM
clyp.it/0tf2m3xp
clyp.it/twgejaie
clyp.it/vamaqpad
soundcloud.com/vine-plaga
clyp.it/xygfhdxl
youtube.com/watch?v=IUhr77e8Eho
youtube.com/watch?v=nFs4_8sJTT0
clyp.it/4yxy0avl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if this thread doesnt get any replies, hilary clinton will be elected for president of the united states

Im looking into audio interfaces. are there certain brands that are always great or on the contrary ones I should avoid? I found one of those Scarlet 2i2's for 100 leaf loonies, is that a decent price?

clyp.it/mzxs5nnr

clyp.it/vyouxus2

copy pasta from old thread that closed just in time :(.
/prod/ come on give me some suggestions. this was realized on a sp303. does it sounds too bad? how the fuck am i supposed to master something recorded straight from a sampler like that? do you dig the beat?
bb senpai

how 2 stop being overly self critical?

bump

What do you mean user?

In my honest opinion this sounds like a very fun freestyle rap battle beat, the idea is nice.
I don't know much about recording though, but I'd say you should record the beats and samples in seperate tracks so you can balance out the mix.

Sounds a bit dull in my opinion, maybe work a bit on the stereo field? The song itself sounds good.

Here's some Dubstep stuff I made for my upcoming youtube channel, any ideas for the composition or anything? I tried to make it more ''commercial/generic'' sounding.
Also if anyone of you know something about saturation, how should I apply it?

forgot link:
clyp.it/ze5x3hyt

but that'll happen either way

self critical is master race. if you don't think your music is bad then you have no need to improve on any of your shortcomings.

>tfw my kaoss pad 3 is starting to make weird little bursts of noise and change the loudness of the left vs right channels when the input volume knob or the slider get moved
don't you die on me god dammit, you were my first piece of gear :(

>finally come up with lush chord progression
>realise after playing it back it's pacific state

fuck sake

>can play interesting free jazz chord progressions with ease
>can't make a normal chord progression for shit

i have all these sounds in my head but i can't put them in to FL Studio pls save me

start by writing them down

Sing them into a microphone, and load the way into your daw to reference as you try to replicate with synths.

Give up on music. Do you fucking think Richard D James goes into the studio and shits gold? He's talented because he's waded through an incredible mire of crap to get to the good shit.

but I like sake

this sounds great. do you have a longer version?

clyp.it/idjy4sel i dont know what im doing. how do i fix this?

You're listening to too much '80s synthpop

may i post a soundcloud link please

did gandhi ask if he could post soundcloud links?

no, he just did it anyways. who are you gonna be?

rate my beat pls

clyp.it/ktlu1mur

I just got comfortable with the fact that for the first 10 years of production everything is going to sound shit...sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised though.
Being self critical is a lot better than banging on about how fucking good you are all the time because you have a big head and mommy and a few friends humoured you and said your tracks are great...when they quite clearly are a load of shite.

Scarlet 2i2 is a really priceworthy interface. Is does what its supposed to and never fucks around. I did some tests recording the same re-amped guitar through the same speaker with a sm57 but with different interfaces. 2i2 was good but i prefered my steinberg ur22mk2. Its a LITTLE bit cheaper but does the same job as the 2i2 and has better sounding pre-amps.

i kinda dig it

been working on this loop for the past 20 mins.

is it any good?

clyp.it/hxa1vrb5

best reply ITT

no soundcloud

if you post it we're going to at best tell you to fuck off

gandhi was a faggot terrorist subhuman

i would make a version without the high pitched like uptick

just so later you can have 1 without and 1 with incase you need to get fancy when laying it out for a track, I think it's fine without it and would only use it to spice things up

it's a good loop to rap over about an existential crisis

you just created the theme song for a kid's show congrats
for real though, add some low frequency sounds e.g. a bassline, change the synths (pretty sure you only used square wave synths that generally sound very game-y on their own)
the drums don't help either so see that you can get better samples

meant video game-y

>been working on this loop for the past 20 mins
>20 mins
>working on
>20 mins
>is it any good?
I very much doubt it.
Come back in 2 hours. The transistors in Fruity Loops have hardly had time to warm up in 20 minutes.

its fucking good

it's a loop bro, if you spend more than 20 minutes on making a loop you don't know how to use your daw properly

nice dubs, thanks for the feedback.

got anything you want me to check out?

It's the weekend /prod/ what are you all working on?

clyp.it/dejrrm1v

Been sitting on the production on this one for ages, to the point of listening to it so much that I can't really perceive anything of it anymore.
Can't find any motivation to continue, so any feedback is appreciated.

I have another similiar song but I have uploaded the shorter one.

Too much bass? Very unsure on the snare, too much reverb perhaps? Or maybe the track itself is boring.

This is great!

Very new to Production here
for what reason would you use a compressor
and how?

It's take time to be normal again.

I use it on drums and bass mainly

Detailed reasons for why and how here:

soundonsound.com/sos/sep09/articles/compressionmadeeasy.htm

there are lots of yt tutorials out there. basic explanation is:
your song got loud parts and not so loud parts. compressor takes loud parts and makes them less loud so that the volume level of the track is evened out

pro tip: don't overdo it

The drums are too loud, just like in every fucking clipit posted in /prod/ ever

Anyone know any good sample packs with drums that sound similar to the intro of this
youtube.com/watch?v=Gkp05lmogIM

>It takes
sry

no you fuckface.

samples are for fags.

even buying a drumset is for fags.

you need to buy a baby goat, raise it lovingly, slaughter it and strech its skin over some circle.

it's what real musicians do

captcha: 420

what if i cant get a hold of a goat, or even a real drumset? is a sheep ok?

Nothing? :/

Anyone working with logic:
Do you have a nice "mastering" preset (for the Main Output Track) for Electronic Music? I use the presets "Basic" or "Hyped Mix" slightly adjusted because I am too stupid to make my own setup.
Any advices?

I think mastering will totally depend on how your track sounds to begin with. If you don't understand what each of those mastering plugins do enough to make your own mastering chammel then just slapping a mastering preset chammel on your mastering chammel isn't going to help you much.
I'd remove that mastering chammel and start learning how each individual plugin works. Start by eqing each individual chammel, compress (if needed) and setting levels on your mixer to get a nice sounding mix, then maybe add a master buss compressor to your master chammel, learn what it's doing and how it works best on your track. Once you've done that do the same for each of the other mastering plugins you want to use.
Each new track you write will probably be different so will require different settings on those master buss plugins.
I tend to try and get my tracks to sound right first before adding minimal mastering, but some people like to set up the mastering then mix into that while building the track. Most modern computers you can get away with running compressors etc on each chammel so I prefer that approach as it gives me much more detail.

clyp.it/0tf2m3xp

can i get some feedback on this track?

anyone got any good tutorials to share that aren't in the pastebin?

Is there ever anything to learn in /prod/ threads?

Thanks ;)

made some progress on that loop.

thoughts?
clyp.it/twgejaie

i added an extra synth/thing and did some restructuring
clyp.it/vamaqpad
would it be classified as future music?

>clyp.it/twgejaie
i like it
that part where it shoots upward is kind of left hanging though
you should figure out some way to resolve it

>clyp.it/vamaqpad
nigger this is insane

fuck you

Probably not for you as you obviously already know everything?

not to slob on your dick, but i would like to rap over this, could i get an mp3 or some shit?

i would pay you but im broke + i wanna rap over it just for me (wont upload anywhere)

nah you can upload it senpai
that pluck thing is a sample so I can't sell it anyway
you wanna wait til i finish it tho?

has /prod/ produced any decent producer/songwriters? If so are there any clips of their work to check out?

i will wait, thanks a lot man. you're a good lad.

[email protected] (yes, mail not gmail)

lol i appreciate that

I can't email it the file is too big
just link me your soundcloud and I'll send it to you there

Some people link useful resources sometimes

alright just followed you senpai
i'll have that finished instrumental for you in a few days

doesn't sound like the synth is in the same key as the bassline

clyp.it/xygfhdxl

i posted a small clip of this yesterday
today i ffinished it off kinda

How do you start a new piece?
I usually hear something or think of something, then hop on my computer and try to mimick that sound with my midi and piano.
But this past week I've just sat here in front of my computer playing with keys and progressions, but nothing sounds good.

bump

first i have to have an inspired song structure and progression planned out. than i will usually write down pages of notes in autistic/serial killer fashion listing every element and track and layer i plan for the song, in order of structure and recording, along with a list of all the effects and mixing shit i'm gonna do for each part

you are a saint man

5 listens. Can noone give feedback ? I mean that is why i posted it here. No matter how shit or good id still like someones opinion.

>what are you all working on?
trying to play a synth while skiing

>clyp.it/xygfhdxl
the drums are too loud, i wanna hear the pretty synths and atmosphere but the drums are raping my ears

Thank you!

If there were you wouldn't credit /prod/ for their ascent, in fact the place is probably a hindrance. Every problem posed here can be answered better by google.

So I was trying to mess with some voice samples to get a result similar to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=IUhr77e8Eho

The guy's "normal" voice is much closer to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=nFs4_8sJTT0

So the clip is pitched down, even with him talking lower, and the lower part of the EQ is turned up to make him rumble a little bit.

Thing I am most interested in though is how they are getting the effect leading into each line. It is obviously some kind of re-sample of the original clip, but without doing a ton of manual work in taking the original clip and cutting many times to match some of the emphasized syllables and dragging their length out (and adding some reverb / echo / pitch shift further down / level blend), is there any remotely "automatic" way I can replicate this effect in FL Studio?

Any advice appreciated on how to replicate this effect or even just get something that sounds cool.

It's reversed reverb - and the single most asked about vocal effect probably.

Take your vocal track, reverse it and add reverb (with a little slap-back delay if you want a more pronounced effect) - record the reverb to a separate track and then reverse it and line it up with your original non-reversed vocal so that the reversed reverb tails precede the vocal - you can delete the reversed vocal as you only needed it to generate the reverb track.

>Take your vocal track, reverse it

Meant to add that it's best to make a copy of the vocal track to reverse.

Thanks I appreciate it

I'll also add (as I usually do) that this effect was originally done on multitrack tape by flipping the tape spool over, which also reverses the track order - with tape the vocal and the reversed reverb would line up perfectly when the tape spool was back in its original orientation.

is there a way to make Ableton's ruler thing start at 0 instead of 1?

oh god lol why would you want to do that? do you count bars in your head like "0-1-2-3, 0-1-2-3"?

because when I'm working w/ loops I find it annoying having to remember that 1 bar on a 4/4 loops ends at the 5th marker. add a bar to that....9th...and so on

thanks guys

sq-1 is fun as fuck

clyp.it/4yxy0avl

Is this any good? I'm having issues warping vocals to make it fit the beat. In the raw file, his rapping is slightly off beat and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to sit right without making it sound muddy.
>trap, chill, rap

what does muddy sound have to do with the guy being on beat?

stretching / warping the wav and getting distortion. maybe muddy wasnt the right term

muddy usually refers to something having too much low end and not being very defined in the highs

as for the problem you're talking about, you might have to get the guy to re-do the vocals if none of the warping modes will give you a clean enough sound

not autechre/10
try harder

his style of rap don't fit the beat

>getting distortion
You mean artifacts ?

>clyp.it/4yxy0avl
meh same old shit desu mate

how do u learn ur sound design?