Why would anyone want an app store for a fucking laptop?

Why would anyone want an app store for a fucking laptop?

What's microsoft's endgame?

>have packet managers in literally every linux distro, all nerds creams their pants
>finally being able to get trusted software and approved updates thru windows store easy and automatically for everyday users, boo fucking hoo

the absolute state of Sup Forums

fpbp

>rename package manager to app store
>autism screech on background

This.

>65041299
microshaft strikes yet again

That's exactly the difference, though. "App store" implies that everything in it is monetized in some way or another. That's why you end up with crap like literally everything in Play Store or Apple's App Store: Literally everything in it is just some get-rick-quick scheme, with no regard for the user except as a stepping stone. Whereas a package manager is something that works for the actual user.

There may not be a technical difference between them, but there sure is a difference in how they're used.

>rick
rich*

>free software is good
>free market is bad

Enough already!

Every day it gets even more obvious that freetards are just commie faggots who want free shit.

once the software exists it isn't economically scarce. Sending it around the world and making a million copies is within epsilon of costless. Its natural free-market monetary price is zero.

non-proprietary package managers are not thesame as proprietary app stores. freedomisnt about free as in cost.

>being a freemarket fag
>in this day and age

>What is intellectual property?
You don't comprehend the intellectual cost of making software. It takes years of research and development.

Programmers need to get paid. You edgy teenaged scrub.

>durr why are medications so expensive? it takes a couple cents to produce a single pill! hurrr

You pay the programmer to make the software you want to exist exist. Then, since its no longer scarce, you use the thing you paid them to create, and give away copies to anyone else who might want one. If this didn't work, corporations wouldn't spend millions of dollars employing thousands of people to work on the Linux kernel.

That's not at all what I said. I just said that app stores suck. Can't say I know exactly why that is, I can only state the obvious fact that all the app stores I've used suck.

It's probably because they're owned by the same entity that owns the underlying platform, who feel they can't be "partial" to any third-party developer, consequently accept crap and non-crap alike, and therefore the app stores are flooded by crap. Unaffiliated stores seem to be able to do a much better editorial job, probably because they have no need to stay impartial.

The same can be said of tons of things, from microchips to medicines, where the R&D is by far the greatest component of the retail price. Software is by no means special in this respect.

Stop replying to trolls.

A mathematical equation also takes years of research and development, and those aren't copyrighted now, are they ?

A mathematical equation takes seconds, actually. It's a mathematical proof that takes ages.

>What is operations research?
>What is optimization?
It may come as a surprise to you, but yes mathematical models ARE for sale out there.

>for Linux you can compile binaries, or just run them
>On Windows 10 S you just cant run.

I can't speak for anyone else, but Apple's App Store sells some good shit, and you can use the version you bought indefinitely since it doesn't force updates.

$10 for a graphical du clone, though. That's beyond ridiculous.

that's a good point
[spoiler] I can't figure out how they work on linux either, it's much easier to sudo apt-get install my way through it all [/spoiler]

$10 is less than an hour of work. I've spent more on snacks (that I shat out) on a random weekend night. It's a good program that does what I need it to do and makes my life a bit easier. If I didn't see any value in it I would not have bought it.

>calling an app store a package manager
absolute state of linux users

A fool and his money are soon parted. Continue to waste money for no reason. Brainlets these days. Need a shiny GUI even for the simplest of things.

>doesn't support installation from external sources
>"package manager"
Sure bud.

You should be autistic enough to know what's filling up your hard drive space without a paid program telling you.

To be fair, a graphical interface to such a program could be important because it's easier to see what exactly is using your disk with a graph than just a column of numbers

It wasn't a waste of money but thanks for your concern for my finances bro.

>OS developers spend time coating a package manager with user-friendly terms such as "app store" and "app marketplace"
>Can't even have a pizza hut embedded into the OS

>WinDirStat for $9.99

Pipe it to sort -k1n and you'd be an idiot if you have trouble parsing it.

I tried this and I still get a massive list of files. Can you demonstrate it?

>If this didn't work, corporations wouldn't spend millions of dollars employing thousands of people to work on the Linux kernel
Most corporations don't. Only very tiny handful of corporations do. That doesn't work.

That tiny handful consists of all the biggest and most successful companies in the tech sector.

For the mobile experience and desktop experience will become subservient to the progressive web app experience. The future will just be apps based on Monaco (think VS Code).

Sure, can you name a single leader software developed like that? Didn't think so...

>What's microsoft's endgame?
complete control over your PC. isn't it obvious? haven't you been paying attention to the user's loss of control from windows 3.1 all the way to windows 10? haven't you seen all the astroturfing with people saying that it's actually a good thing?

>waaaahh, DOS gave me the most control! I could run shit in real-mode!
Retard.

>I have no control over my own PC! Windows 10 is great! It's because other people can't be trusted!
cuck