How do you self study topics that you're interested in, Sup Forums?

How do you self study topics that you're interested in, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5AiRVqfqk
scotthyoung.com/learnonsteroids/grab/TranscriptFeynman.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't.

put on music and blow through it until things start to make sense

Seriously this

I decided to get into android development and spent 10+ hours a day going through documentation and experimenting with the SDK. Basically just plow through information and exercises until something clicks

through autistic and obsessive fits fiddling with electronics

If you're truly interested you'll have no trouble doing it. Don't you WANT do do the things you want to do?

Make something complicated that requires what I want to learn. Once I'm done, I read through a book or two that relates to what I used in order to fill the gaps that googling naturally doesn't fill.

i just do

With a bag of weed and a bottle of wine, sitting stoned behind the pc makes me feel so fine.

That sounds seriously autistic but I wish I had that work ethic

I just dedicate whatever time I can to it. I have school and work, but when I'm not doing those things I study the stuff I want to know. I'll hang with friends and shit every now and then, but I don't play video games I don't watch movies. I just keep reading bools and testing code until I get where I want to be.

Yep, this is basically how I taught myself graphics programming.
One day I just sat down and said "I want to learn how do 3d graphics with opengl". A few hours later I had made a hello triangle demo, and then a few days after that I had some semblance of a graphics engine that had cameras, model loading, basic lighting, etc.

For stuff I really don't know, I usually reach for udemy or other online courses that have semi-formal academic structure. It's too tedious for advanced topics or indepth studies. I reach for quality text books once I have enough proficiency and practice with the basics.

>10+ hours a day
Fuck nigger, I have a full time job... ;_;

This but without music. Music distracts me.

DO you work doing that now?

Youtube for the start of it. Then trying shit for myself again and again till it makes sense. If not, I start reading. I am a /lit/-fag so reading hasn't ever been a problem.
Right now I'm thinking of getting into Lockpicking just because it looks cool. I've gone through the YouTube phase and next I'll make some tools next week and start randomly.

>
>This but without music. Music distracts me.
Music must have no lyrics, no vocals of any kind. None. Just ambient sound type stuff, maybe stuff with a beat.
Keep volume low, very low, near to "on the verge of hearing".
Try it this way; might he'll with the distraction.

I think about them when I masturbate

Completely immerse myself in it to the point I go on autopilot in real life and just think about that shit all day.

MIT and Standford have excellent online resources and courses.

classical music is the best, put in a 2 hour playlist of chopin's nocturnes and work away

Too murky.
As an oboe player i can recommend something uplifting and playful.
Minor key stuff are deliberately sounding melancholic , depressive and sad in general. So i guess they're better for the end of the day when you have a whiskey on the rocks or a bottle of wine while conteplating this crude contraption called life and pondering the strenght and sacrifice of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

How do you stay motivated, Sup Forums?

Cybrary.

get a book and find video lectures, i just did this for my ccna feelsgud.jpg

I watch/listen to YouTube videos about it.

Depends on the topic.
First step is the material.
Some topics start out from wikipedia, some start from a blogpost about it, youtube, pubmed or ieeexplore.
I start by learning from a single source that seem to be the authority on the subject.
That source usually leads to more sources on the subject and depending on how deep I need to learn about the subject, I follow multiple sources until I feel I know the subject.
Second step is going through this material and applying it somehow.
It can be by implementing an algorithm, applying it to a problem I have or simply draw conclusions from it.
If the latter, I usually write down a small review (resume, methodology and scope) and keep it with a pdf version of the paper and a bibtex entry.
This way, I can easily cite the paper in the future without having to read it all again.

It can be hard.
There is a desire to do something and there is an ability to follow through with it.
The first thing is relatively easy to get, you see a problem you want to solve.
The ability to follow through with it requires focus.
For me the keyword is routine.
Start simple: get up, go to bed at regular hours.
The next step is eating at regular hours.
When you manage that, you need to construct your diet in a way that gives you a constant and reliable energy level throughout the day.
When you have this, you can construct a schedule that allow you to focus about the same amount every day.
Once you have a reliable way to focus, you can focus on the things you want.

thanks people
bump so that the thread helps other people

RTFM, source code, books, break it and fix it, irc

any suggestions?

not him but

youtube.com/watch?v=Xw5AiRVqfqk

Is it better to self-study and pursue what you like/love and want rather than setting yourself up for debts for University/College?

>start to learn more about the subject you want to study, what are the best resources to learn, what are the requirements... (do not hesitate to post on Sup Forums for tips on best resources or to search for a guide online.
>download the resources (PDF are ideal compared to web sites)
>put some music (Mozart is nice for studying) if it doesn't distract you.
>start learning and follow everything in the guide you found (don't try to miss the exercises because this is what keep you studying without loosing motivation)
>keep notes of every exercises to remember how much you achieved so you can have the motivation yo keep studying

This is what i'm doing and i started studying SICP (every exercises + lectures) and philosophy (starting with the Greeks pic related) during my free time (i'm still a student learning maths at school).

Attached: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (3672x3024, 1.38M)

I dunno. During my semester break I suddenly got bored with playing vidya so I started learning Japanese on my own.

No, I'm currently in a masters program for geographic information systems.
I just wanted to learn some graphics programming because I thought it was interesting.

I read up on them. starting with the basics and going deeper where my interest hasn't yet been satisfied.

The modern world is degree obsessed

study in a country where university is affordable.

Wiki
Board specific discussions
Documentaries
Google search (including books/research papers)
etc

I'm a chum but most of my knowledge is like this.

As someone who has a BS in Tech degree in merica. You should not just self study. The reason for this is some industries require at minimum a degree to even get an interview. For example security tech jobs in hospitals or finance

get basic overview, separate different areas, skim over each and whichever gets picked up the easiest goes first.

Search for "lofi study gaming" on Youtube, there's some really relaxing chill stuff out there to help you study.

Nice advice.
It's very hard for someone who's never had any kind of schedule though. I'll keep this in my mind.

This guy gets it.
Have huge multi-subject libraries, for example the Sup Forumsentooman library, look for something I want to learn, read until I find something that I don't know and isn't explained. Then I look up that thing and shit related to it in other books, and come back to the first.
Sometimes you don't have to, like the K&R. Other times it's an abstract concept described with mathematical notation that I never learned(t. trig failure in HS), and I have to go through an entire branch of math before continuing.
The payoff is the satisfaction of understanding, when all the strings between the pins on the bulletin board become a recognizable picture, having a new way to express your thoughts.
Only works for shit that interests me though. Study music is soft IDM.

How far along are you can can you tell me where to start with it.

it's very easy

1 - google about it
2 - read wiki a bit
3 - find out leddit about it
4 - notice how i'm a complete illiterate and have to learn a lot of stuff before being able to understand the basics of said topic
5 - cut self
6 - watch 10 hours of anime
7 - masturbate
8 - cry a lot
9 - start making progress
10 - go back to 4 and repeat until i understand

Not the same user but if it wasnt obvious, learn the kana, then go to /djt/ and read the guide. Where they tell you to read tae kim, I recommend "learning japanese the manga way" instead.

Attached: 1511116181291.jpg (2000x2256, 389K)

.bmp

I actually live in California in Burgerland but I'm dirt poor as shit so I don't know if I'd even qualify for financial aid let alone how the fuck would I even pay it off later down the line anyway

if you're not interested in a topic, you won't study it.

I use the Feynman Technique.

scotthyoung.com/learnonsteroids/grab/TranscriptFeynman.pdf

If you don't trust it. look up Feynman's accomplishments and read what people say about his ability to teach and learn.

I'm conflicted over the same thing right now. 20 years old and haven't done much since high school. I always liked the sound of self-study, but in practice I haven't been able to do it very much due to issues focusing and such. I'm not sure if a college would be any better in this regard, or if I just have to solve my personal problems either way.

if you're autistic and it's so easy once you're interested

>bs in tech
Didnt know that existed.

Absolutely this

This. Was miserable as a neet doing nothing, but now i'm miserable with a repedative fulltime job. Regretting all that wasted time sitting on the computer. But now on the other hand I don't do shit on weekends or days off.

Study part time. I got sick of my job and just went back to poverty, risking everything for a chance at something more interesting.

You think about it.
There's not much to study for whn you deal with chaos, nobody knows shit.

Same. Too shit I should invest my time into the law degree but keep thinking about cobbler work.