Does literally anyone use this? I never even saw people using it when it was the latest Windows

Does literally anyone use this? I never even saw people using it when it was the latest Windows.

Attached: MS_Windows8_800_thumb800.jpg (800x450, 22K)

8? I don't think so.

8.1? Yeah, some people do. The kind of people who want some of the advantages of later versions of Windows without updating to unstable 10. You don't need to use app garbage, it doesn't break shit after an update now and it's fast as it needs to be.

8.1 is decent. I would stick with it until Windows 11.

Yes. 8 and 8.1

I never saw too many people using it when it was the latest, either.

I am using 8.1 now on my new laptop, ordered a Dell e7240 on eBay and was supposed to have 10, but found out it was a spoofed copy, reported the dude and got the laptop for free. Learned that the windows activation stuff for 8 is held in the BIOS like windows 7, but in a different way. Got an ISO and loaded 8.1 up and it's working just fine for me, advantages of having control over updates like 7 while remaining a couple years more modern.

Oh well, I'll use it until it pisses me off and switch to Linux perhaps.

8.1 is still supported on not-brand-new systems. Still on my desktop. Clean and stable.

Doesn't 8.1 shit the bed with Vulkan?

8 ? fuck no
8.1 ? fuck yes the best windows rn

I've spotted some 8.1 users. The other day I was helping someone and was surprised by the win key bringing up that godforsaken Win 8 paneled menu. Those savages need to use Classic Shell.

Nah retards just use 10 now

Is there even a difference between 8 and 8.1?

This.

no apart from the start menu

I used it and would still do that if I wouldn't be able to get Server 2016 for free.
I actually upgraded to 8 on day 1 and never regretted it, it's an over all great OS and an improvement over 7 in every way aside from the UI.

Windows 8 is not supported and has not received security updates since 2013. Windows 8.1 has a few more features and is supported until 2025. It also runs more efficiently than Windows 10 and 7 on laptops (talking about battery life, here).

>windows activation stuff for 8 is held in the BIOS
...unless you upgrade. I played around with the Wintendo that came with my old laptop a few days before removing the Wintendo infestation with a GNU/Linux USB stick. I couldn't get the key working for the Windows 8 that came with it when it was time to sell it. I remembered clicking through some upgrade crap the first day so I tried Wintendo 10 and that worked. It turns out that Windows will overwrite the key in the BIOS if you upgrade it, it's not read-only.

You can get it with acpidump, btw.

It's trash. 7 is the best.

8? No.
8.1? I use it, haven't had any issues with it.
I tested Windows 10 for like 2 hours or so and after debloating the laptop, installing Classic Shell and some other Day 1 stuff, I noticed that disabling Windows Update wasn't enough to stop that shitty window about updates and shit. I turned it off right away.
Someday I'll try LTSB, but for now I'll just stick with 8.1, I don't have any particular reason to use 10 anyways.

I use it on my tablet because the manufacturer recommended against updating to 10. It's not bad after installing classic shell.

Windows 8 and 10 have a VRAM allocation limit of 4GB in DX9. Windows 7 doesn't have this limit.

>Windows 8 and 10 have a VRAM allocation limit of 4GB in DX9. Windows 7 doesn't have this limit.
I'm pretty sure that yes, it does have it. The issue is on the API itself, not on the OS.
It was actually fixed in Windows 10 recently, I do remember reading about it some weeks ago, but 7 and 8/8.1 still have it and nobody seems to care about fixing it.

Affortunately or not, it doesn't affect me specially.

No, Windows 7 doesn't have this limit. It was introduced in Windows 8 and fixed in Win10 1709.

>It was introduced in Windows 8
Oh, yeah, you're definitely right. I searched about it and I'm finding people mentioning that it doesn't happen in Windows 7. Sorry, my fault.

That totally sucks for the people with Dedicated GPUs.