What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: 1520000442345.png (500x589, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation
open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux is okay, GNU is not.

I don't understand why stallman wants it to be called GNU/Linux when linus named it Linux. He named it Linux, so it's Linux. By that logic every piece of software should now be called after every library, piece of code and tools it used.

Are you actually arguing that people shouldn't be aware of that information?

>cont
Even Linus says, explicitly, that the kernel should respect userland

> By that logic every piece of software should now be called after every library, piece of code and tools it used.
linux is a tool used by gnu, not the other way around. you just proved stallman's point.

(((GNU)))

Linus made just the kernel, which is called Linux and it's fine. The combination of the GNU system and his kernel is GNU/Linux.

nothing
its by far the most common operating system

Not in the desktop

techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation
open.microsoft.com/2017/09/26/microsoft-joins-open-source-initiative

Attached: 1516729737569.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

it gets better by the year desu, unlike windows

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

not what its meant for

i call it Linux/Musl

calling it gnu/linux is cringy as fuck

Proprietary blobs.

Fully detailed here.

Attached: UnixHaters.gif (400x500, 144K)

If we're going that route, it has to be systemd/GNU/Linux.

autism

Systemd is not an OS.

neither is linux and yet autists demand it's called gnu/linux

>Implying Linux OSes can't have different userlands

>implying linux is an os
It isn't

>Implying coreutils are an OS

Yes well Nobody uses non-gnome linux os's dummy

NON-GNU NON-GNU FUCK

cant use .exe

>Foreword by Donald Norman, Apple Computer
I checked the dates and UHH came out in 1994, and only two years later Apple bought NeXT to use its UNIX-based OS. Must've sucked to be Donald Norman.

>RUN

Some things I've noticed that would keep a normie from using Linux
>Can't just download and click to install programs
>Shit touch screen support
>Screen tearing
>No gaymes (would be nice if Steam would just run windows games through wine if you installed them on a linux machine)
>No Adobe suite or great video editors
>no DAWs (bitwig is nice though)
>Filepicker

Linux IS a complete operating system, you fucking retard.

Linux is a complete operating system

>Can't just download and click to install programs
This used to work on Ubuntu years ago when I still used it. No idea what the status is now, but it should work unless they fucked with the app store integration too much.

>Shit touch screen support
Not a problem since we don't want retards who use touchscreen on laptops anyway.

>Screen tearing
Every popular normie-friendly DE comes with compositor and Vsync by default so this point is invalid.

>No gaymes
Marketshare chicken and egg problem. Not really something Linux can do much about.

>(would be nice if Steam would just run windows games through wine if you installed them on a linux machine)
This used to work in the past but then Valve removed it because they wanted native ports instead.

>No Adobe suite or great video editors
People have been writing to Adobe for years, but it looks like they have some sort of agreement with Microsoft.

>no DAWs (bitwig is nice though)
The audio stack used to be crap and then Lennart came up with Pulseaudio and it's even worse now.

>Filepicker
This one is entirely on GTK. The Qt filepicker has thumbnails and both Chromium (natively) and Firefox (with patches) support it.

I remember a quote from linus saying that he wanted linux to be a mainly desktop OS but it turned out to be everything but that.

Nah, pic related.

Attached: 1517430314050.png (1385x945, 200K)

>Valve removed it because they wanted native ports instead.

Fucking dumb. There are only a handful Linux games which aren't memetastic indie crap. Why should devs cater to that anyway? There's barely a profit in making Linux games.

>InformationWeek 2015 Windows Survey
Yeah, that looks like a fair and balanced study.

>... Survey of 212 business technology professionals
>212
hahahahahahaha

Attached: 1441974949941.png (596x628, 248K)

Having the attitude that we don't need people who use touch screens is what keeps Linux from being a good desktop for the everyday user. We just need a big distro like Ubuntu to keep improving and making Linus more assessable. Then we will see more software support. People who want a more customized less botnet distro can have the perks of a bigger userbase and more software.

a little evidence vs your no evidence at all
what wins

>Having the attitude that we don't need people who use touch screens is what keeps Linux from being a good desktop for the everyday user.
No it means keeping the absolute retards out. You have to draw the line somewhere, and that somewhere just happens to be people unironically using a gimmick misfeature kept afloat by the sheer pressure of money being pumped into marketing.

No, you have zero evidence as well. A fraudulent study isn't evidence.

I'm just saying Ubuntu should put more effort in it, so we have a bigger userbase and thus more software. That definitely will spark up more vulnerabilities though. If you want to feel more elite using your computer then stick to Arch or Gentoo and rice your desktop and brag about your low package count. Nothing is wrong with that either. Linux should still be fun

>kernel == OS
go back to class, kid

I used to think Stallman was just being pedantic and kind of petty, but now I think he has a point. There are so many Linux-based platforms now that aren't using GNU that I think its a useful distinction to make.

Especially when dealing with the fact that Android/Linux is Linux, and has an increasing amount of commonality with the rest of the ecosystem in terms of technology yet its not GNU.

>your study is fraudulent because i say so
nigger these people just went around asking +200 corpos for what OS their servers run and came back with the results

fuck off

Link is blocked but Google this

Attached: Screenshot_20180310-213923~2.png (1070x567, 75K)

corporatism and the wrong political climate.

Please go read the definition of an operating system and stop embarrassing yourself

It was based on Unix.

>This used to work in the past but then Valve removed it because they wanted native ports instead.
I don't remember that ever working, unless you installed Steam through Wine in which case it wouldn't run Linux games.
Valve never wanted to do that because then instantly every Wine bug encountered by the Linux 'version' of every game becomes Valve's problem.
They're perfectly OK with the DOSbox solution where a dev can use Wine if they want, but its up to them to support it, its the users who so far haven't liked that.

I could however see Valve hiring the guys working on DXVK to make that an official part of the Steam Platform to try to encourage more ports.

GNOME

>asking +200 corpos
No, they asked "212 business technology professionals involved with selecting, deploying, or managing operating systems for servers". I.e. they asked 212 people that work in system administration. That's not even the whole department in some of the bigger corporations.
And the 2017 numbers are completely pulled out of their ass since the article seemingly came out in October 2014.

Stop lying on the internet, badly at that.

Attached: 1453178791152.png (400x400, 14K)

Those server stats are dubious at best.
Besides, it isn't the server market that makes Linux the most common operating system. It's mobile devices (Android) and IoT (which will continue to grow).

No.

this

It was programmed in C not FORTH

Nothing

You're a retard. Go read the definition of an operating system