Now that intel optane is reaching 3gigs read and write speeds

now that intel optane is reaching 3gigs read and write speeds.

isnt it possible to just connect it to your gpu for that extra vram?

Attached: smugsmile.jpg (415x667, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pmem.io/
pmem.io/2016/02/22/pm-emulation.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)#Consoles
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/7
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/8
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/9
warosu.org/g/thread/S62588537
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

or use it as a slower vram so gpu can acess it and read the whole game or whatever you are using more faster?

Why stop at the gpu? We should have an unified memory by now.

This guy gets it.

If you dont know memory driven computing is the next big thing you need to hand in your Sup Forumseek card

commodity dataflow architectures soon comrades!

op here, this makes even better sense actually so why do we still make tech like we are in the fucking stone age?

Money.

Ram has production of scale and it is actually miles better than optane in speed.

It does make sense to use "optane in this case" but with normal ram you run into latency issues since the gpu would have to tell the cpu what ram its using. Additionally this is what the ps4 does. I think if the ps4 was a more open platform then it could be a viable desktop replacement.

because splitting it bleeds u of more money and ppl havent demanded it yet

nickle and diming since ppl put up with it and dont demand better

There's some really innovative ideas in this thread. I hope we can see the full potential of computers one day.

>I think if the ps4 was a more open platform then it could be a viable desktop replacement.
not with that cpu.

you understand that DDR4 is usually more than 30GB/s today and that a graphics card like the 1080Ti or RX Vega has around 500GB/s of memory bandwidth?

Its a jaguar so its actually somewhat decent for every day compute. For the price it would make a great computer for general use. Imagine if it had a better browser, an office suite and gui that was designed around multitasking. It would sell way more units

if this is true then ok, we will need to wait 20 more years or so.

Or OR just use hmb2. We have the tech

>Its a jaguar so its actually somewhat decent for every day compute.
The jaguar core is absolutely awful when it comes to performance. And for browsing and office stuff, CPU is what matters. Compared to a desktop pentium, the pentium core is about 4x faster. Sure, the entire octacore is about as fast as the pentium dualcore, but the single core perfomance does make a massive difference for stuff like browsing.

>For the price it would make a great computer for general use.
While the price is good, it would still be a bottom of the barrel poverty-tier computer. Worse than cheap mini-PCs, a good bit worse than a $250 pentium build and muuuch worse than a used $250 PC.

>It would sell way more units
No, don't think so. Basic computers that can browse and type documents are available in excess.

The cores help for multi tasking though and pentiums today are good though. Not for the price for a new unit. Plus they obviously make great mmpcs

My 760p SSD has been on back order for over a fucking month. Due to arrive in 2 days apparently but it's been pushed back before. Fucking cunts. Looking forward to 3gbps read tho (and use slower 8TB HDD for background stuff)

The cores help for multi tasking though and pentiums today are good though.
Sure, but why would you want something that is 4x slower at loading a page when a dualcore can handle multitasking just as well?

>Not for the price for a new unit.
???

>Plus they obviously make great mmpcs
Any GPU can play a 4k video these days. The only thing the ps4 gpu adds is gaming, which the ps4 already does.

then why does my ramdisk only get these speeds?

Attached: 2018-02-02 14_51_56.png (402x367, 35K)

maybe the delivery guy had a MELTDOWN and forgot to deliver the product to you

Attached: 1520356367676.png (554x400, 305K)

Again not foe the price. A ps4 is cheap as fuck

The cheapest I've seen a ps4 new is $250, but they cheapest one in stock seems to be $300, for a the 1TB model.
For $250-300 you can build a new pentium desktop.

Yes, a ps4 is good value hardware. But it wouldnt be a good desktop for the money since most of the effort went into the GPU. On a side note, consoles aren't a good value compared to PC for gaming either if you factor in many game purchases.

Because even ramdisks have overhead.even DDR2 could do 6GB/s

Yes they are. Build me a gaming pc for $250.

how did you get to "Build me a gaming pc for $250." from "consoles aren't a good value compared to PC for gaming either if you factor in many game purchases."?
are you mentally deficient?

Games costs are nearly the same. Do you mean because you can pirate on a pc?

>what is latency?

Don't AMD already do this with their CAD centered GPUs?

> what's a latency?

I've researched this a bit. apparently (I'm not really sure, haven't tried it yet), you CAN do this in Linux, it's called "persistent memory":
pmem.io/
pmem.io/2016/02/22/pm-emulation.html
one problem I was told is that, while SSDs are fast for sequential read/writes, they still suck at random r/w... so, if you you don't really get the full speeds.
I'm not sure about optane, though.

so, at most (read above), an SSD could have a speed of 1/10th of a DDR4 module. depending on the task you may want to do, that's not bad at all.

>The jaguar core is absolutely awful when it comes to performance
but you could overclock it, and then it wouldn't be that bad. also, wiki says the ps4 pro has a much better CPU:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)#Consoles

huh, so optane does have good random read/write performance. nice:
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/7
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/8
anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/9

Yes, also the main platform for gaming on pc is steam, which is pretty well known for having crazy sales.

Even then most consoles eventually get piracy. Like man ps3 and 3ds was amazing. Steam sales are pretty shit, i can just buy second hand if i want it cheaper while you can cant with steam

Yeah you can buy any game with online functionality second-hand for the same price that someone pays on pc and you'll also need to buy an activation code for online functionality kek. Also let's not forget about the subscription you have to pay to play online. Also I can even emulate consoles on pc, so yeah.

They are sold at a loss.

Not what I said. idek how you came up with this response other than getting it wrong on purpose.

>Games costs are nearly the same.
They are not. If you count in key sites, which by the way are not illegal and have insurance, games are pretty much always much cheaper on PC. Plus the online of course. This is how the console business model works. They sell you the hardware at a loss, yet they make massive profits through games, paid online and accessories. They do this because it looks cheaper.

I'm not gonna say if you should pirate or not, but buying used games is just as bad for the devs. But these days stores like gamestop are way overpriced and games have keys for online and tons of DLC to prevent used games sales.

Piracy is much easier and freely available on PC. There's even a lot of great games that are DRM free, like witcher 3. On console you generally need a old console that hasn't been updated(used) for a year or more, and/or a hardware mod that involves soldering to the console motherboard.

The OS and filesystem were both designed for spinning discs. If you could optimize them for a RAM disc, you'd see much higher speeds.

This user points out that you would see similar speeds on DDR2, which implies that you get diminishing returns using these software systems at those speeds.

>pmem.io/2016/02/22/pm-emulation.html
could any of you people try this real quick and post results?

Why do you want to mount storage as ram instead of just letting it use swap when it needs to?

I was told that by having direct memory access, it'd be faster. swap is not the same thing as memory, it's managed by the OS differently.

That may be true, but how often are you gonna need that much memory? Ram is much faster still, so I would think letting the OS use ram and put stuff in swap when needed would be faster... Unless you're doing something specific that requires tons of "ram".

>how often are you gonna need that much memory?
depends on your needs...
as an example, I'll tell you my use case: I need a LOT of memory to run VMs for testing programs. some of these programs use a lot of CPU, so my priority here would be CPU, not RAM, and I wouldn't even care much about RAM speed, so even SDRAM-like speeds would be OK for me.
tl;dr: I could have lots of cheap memory, and I wouldn't really need fast RAM.

as I said before, someone explained to me that random reads/writes in SSD are still slow, so that wouldn't help, but optanes are not that bad at that, so I guess it could work.

Cores don't matter if they're weak. Even the Pentium G4560 outperforms the PS4 in CPU-bound tasks. You can buy a used Sandy or Ivy Bridge i5 office desktop which will annihilate the Jaguar. The PS4 isn't the PS3, we're not talking about the power of da cell. The PS4's only value is gaming, it would be an awful desktop replacement unless you literally just need a Youtube/Netflix machine, in which case you don't need to jailbreak it at all.

You may be interested in this thread
warosu.org/g/thread/S62588537

I think unless your workload fits in CPU cache you'll see a significant slowdown, ram speed usually doesn't matter THAT much but in this case latency is 1000x slower, that's pretty huge.

Modern OSes are pretty smart about swap and they should place large parts of inactive VMs ram in swap naturally, freeing up ram for active processes. So unless you need, say, 48GB(The 16GB you should already have +32GB instead of a optane) of active ram swap won't actually be slower.

Optane 900p is something like 2GB/s sequential and 60microsec latency, while ddr4-3000 is 60GB/s and 50ns. A 280GB 900p is ~$350 and for the same money you can get 32GB ram.