Iron Maiden thread

So, what does Sup Forums think of Iron Maiden?

I've been going through their shit chronologically, and it's confusing me. The only songs of there's I've liked enough to listen to regularly were The Number of the Beast and The Alchemist (a song that I'd heard before I started going through their shit from start to finish) among fans of the band, my opinion seems to be outright wrong. They tell me that Killers was fucking awesome and that Powerslave was nearly perfect.

I'm now up to the 90s, and fuck - they're shit. The Fear of the Dark album didn't even sound like Metal. Is there a word for what it was? I'm tempted to call it some sort of Rock, it didn't even touch their punk roots.

Is this why Iron Maiden's fans praise the early stuff so much? While I didn't think much of the majority of their 80s material, I can see why you'd say that Killers was fucking awesome if you're comparing it with shit like Fear of the Dark.

What does Sup Forums think their best stuff is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J51LPlP-s9o
youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First three albums are mandatory. Fourth is absolutely fantastic. Everything else is disposable at best. Should have disbanded after 1988

their punk roots is a meme

i don't get the hate on fotd, this album is really fine

Powerslave > Iron Maiden (debut) > Number of the Beast > Somewhere In Time > Killers > Piece of Mind > Seventh Son >>> I like the song Fear of the Dark, but not the album. Everything else I've heard by them is dog shit. I don't care for their live shit either, which to me is a huge disappointment.

tl;dr version: best album is pic related

An Iron Maiden fan here. But the moderate one, who realizes they aren't the best thing that happened to music ever and is open to criticism. So here's what I think:

Early stuff (punkish albums with Paul on vocals) - I don't like them, except for some songs, and I don't get why most of the fans do, desu.

80s with Bruce ("Number of The Beast" to "Seventh Son") - pretty cool. I really like the vocals on those. I am more fond of the serious sounding tracks (Aces High, Children Of The Damned, Where Eagles Dare), many of the songs from this era sound a bit too happy for my taste. Also, those albums have a lot of fillers that aren't really shit, but noone ever cared about them.

90s with Bruce - "No Prayer" fucking sucked, I didn't like a single track of this. "Fear Of The Dark" is the first album I heard from them so I might be a bit sentimental, but I like it. Even tho it consists mostly of the fillers, actually I like some of the fillers more than the single tracks (most of them sound "serious", as I mentioned before, I prefer "serious" music). Also, "Wasting Love" is one of my favorite power ballads ever.

90s with Blaze - I like "The X Factor" for its seriousness (again) and lyrical themes. "2 AM" is a relatable song. The other album with Blaze, I don't even remember the name is shit. Has maybe two or three songs I like, but I have a problem with its inconsistent sound (every song sounds different, like they belong on dramatically different releases).

2000s - I love everything they released after the reunion, that's actually what makes me a fan, or whatever should I call myself. They were becoming progressively better, and reached their peak on "AMOLAD". "Final Frontier" was a bit of a step down IMO, and I haven't checked the latest album yet

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2. Iron Maiden
3. Piece Of Mind
4. Powerslave
5. Somewhere In Time

Important notice: entirety of this wall of text I produced is my personal opinion. Thanks for your understanding.

>I am more fond of the serious sounding tracks (Aces High, Children Of The Damned, Where Eagles Dare), many of the songs from this era sound a bit too happy for my taste.
OP here, my biggest problem with the 80s stuff was just the lyrics. The bass and pretty much anything else that made a sound other than the singer were almost always awesome. That probably explains why I love 'Number of The Beast' so much. It's got top tier lyrics (it actually tells a fucking story) and it's met with the awesome bass of 80's Maiden. As for everything else they made in the 80s, some of it was just noise to me. Like my memory of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was awesome 'music' met with a man just shouting some shit about things which were Seventh. Fuck, most of their 80s material would've been improved by gagging the vocalist...

Up the irons Sup Forums

Self-titled
Powerslave
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Piece of Mind
Killers
Somewhere in Time
The Number Of The Beast

>trying to enjoy metal

Good list but

>The Number Of The Beast

I'll never get the hype for this album

Actually, Maiden are one of the bands where I never really cared about the lyrics. With "seriousness"/"happiness" I meant the sound of the track.

E.g. this I called "serious":
youtube.com/watch?v=J51LPlP-s9o
And this I called "happy":
youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM

Also, their live albums are okay, but releasing them is a shamelessly commercial move.

>release a live album every fucking time you tour
>every live album is the same set of old songs + some songs from the latest studio release
>profit

Vocals kill this band for me. Too operatic and gay. Guitars are great though, awesome harmonies.

me either but i put in the list because it has some good songs but it's not their best album

These days, I'd be happy with maiden if someone would just explain their covers.

What is there to explain?

luminarti n shiet

best covers in the game

>Powerslave
>Somewhere in Time
>Seventh Son
>Brave New World
These are all essential Maiden IMO. Even if you don't agree with BNW, calling the other three 'disposable shit' is just wrong.

You know, you gotta be 18+ to post on this board

Virtual XI

You don't like clansman? futureal? Hell, even lightning strikes twice is a nice song. The album is forgettable but it has some gems.

Fear of the dark isn't the only good song in that album imo, there's afraid to shoot strangers which I actually like better than the title track.

The eponymous album is my favorite but I like AMOLAD too but some songs on it just don't do it for me (for the greater good of god comes to mind)

Piece of mind and killers are "meh" at best, but flip seventh sone and somewhere in time and that's pretty much me

This, outside of Hallowed and children of the damned it's not even a good album imo

I thought Sup Forums didn't like iron maiden because it was dad-rock, not underage bait?

Even Paul's? Iron Maiden (the album) takes a different approach to vocals than all of Bruce's stuff.

Honestly the only legit bad song on the album is The Angel and the Gambler.

>Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
holy shit this LP slays
rock on mutant

Mu's parents have and will always have better music taste than their kids. They are onlya a product of previous taste, They are nothing without Mom Jazz and Dad Rock