KDE rocks

My dudes, I finally switched to KDE as my main desktop environment and I must say, it's fucking awesome. Why the fuck didn't I try kde sooner? I was running gnome for the last couple of years and it feels, looks and tastes like ass. For anyone who has not tried kde, do it now.
See ya later alt-desktoppers.

Attached: Adapta-KDE-theme-.png (1200x675, 733K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shill
blog.broulik.de/2018/03/gtk-global-menu/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Unregister_existing_Wine_file_associations
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Prevent_new_Wine_file_associations
github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/adapta-kde/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wow op that's the first legitimately nice linux desktop post I've seen in a while
gj

Attached: chao hmm.png (300x310, 8K)

Congratulation OP. Now you are no longer a boy, you are a man

Attached: Screenshot_20180311_160233.png (1920x1080, 1013K)

gnome still looks way better and more polished but for half the ram usage kde wins

gnome 3 is pig disgusting

we all know you're going to use kde for about a week then switch to something else. Stop making threads acting like you're going to use this for the rest of your life because you're not

>GOAT file manager
>GOAT archive manager
>GOAT Quicklaunch set to alt-space by default
>Able to be made relatively lightweight if settings menus aren't too daunting

KDE's good.

My issue with KDE was how autistic it is about file associations.

For instance: after installing wine-staging, hyperlinks begin to open themselves with IE or textfiles using notepad, on any other DE you'd be able to set it back to whatever but it seems to bug out on KDE and not set back no matter how many times I try, been an issue since kde 4.

Why the sudden KDE shilling

Desktop thread: KDE edition

Downloading Kubuntu 18.04 beta1 right now. Will post screenshots.

because plasma 5 is garbage and Sup Forums seems to shill any desktop that is crap and no I'm not talking about kde in general. they have some good applications like kdenlive and dolphin but imo the plasma 5 desktop is utter garbage.

out of the box sure but with arc darker and dash to panel is unbeatable

what's a good one then?

I used to use gnome, then I switched to xfce, switched back to gnome for a couple years. Just the other day I decided to try out KDE and I am glad I did because I much prefer it to gnome. I like the little animations and all the little tweaks you can do to get the desktop how you like it; doing this in gnome was a bother because you had to install extensions, especially to remove the hot spot corners and dash to dock which is inconvenient and annoying. Also, I really like Kate more than gedit and being able to see and manage your clipboard history. My main gripe with KDE is that some of its applications are inferior to the gnome alternatives: I don't like Amarok or any of the other Qt music players as much as I like Rhythmbox, KDE lacks any good backup program like Duplicity. Also some things are a little buggy, like in kate some plugins have to go at the bottom instead of the side otherwise they look weird or window's text look squashed because the default size of the application window is not big enough.

>>GOAT file manager
ranger
>>GOAT archive manager
tar
>>GOAT Quicklaunch set to alt-space by default
rofi
>>Able to be made relatively lightweight if settings menus aren't too daunting
just dont install bloat. use dwm.

xfce and lxde are pretty good imo. mate is a little bloated and lxqt feels unfinished. I loved kde 3 and 4 but those are long gone. If plasma 5 works for you then continue to use it and ignore my stupid opinon

that actually looks pretty good desu
for a linux DE, that is

Attached: 1503782583677.jpg (593x625, 64K)

I was reading the Sup Forums wiki and the OS section just made me more confused. It seems everyone hates everything and there is no OS that isn't shit.

I liked the idea of KDE because I read it used Qt that you could modify, but I read it was "bloated" but when linux fags say that it means their 486 struggles with it. So idk, i've been tinkering in virtual box with cinnamon and it isn't floating my boat.

Just use what you like and don't let anyone tell you what to use

I'm annoyed by it. Login screen shows up on all my monitors, can't find settings for window shadows.

This has to be a troll. There's 2 clocks.

Attached: 1385775657573.png (400x410, 144K)

Does KDE associate file types with programs (like Xfce (and even fucking Gnome) does in accordance with the Unix way) or does it associate file extension (like retarded Windows does)?

For example in Xfce
>have pdf file
>opens with pdf viewer
>change extension to .foo
>still opens with pdf viewer
>change extension to .zip
>remove extension completely
>the associated program depends on the REAL file type (as returned by mime or xdg-mime)

In stupid Windows
>have pdf file
>open with pdf viewer
>change extension to .txt
>open with notepad, crashes, file too big, WTF
>remove extension
>unknown file type, do you want to search online? WTF
>stupid windows things the file type changed because the extension changed (very wrong)

What does KDE do?
This is very important

Russian post and no cyka blyat.

Son i am disappoint

Just try every distro that draws your attention in a virtual machine

>
>there is no OS that isn't shit.
This is true. Some are just less shit than others.

>can't find settings for window shadows.

Attached: Screenshot_20180311_103245.png (1366x768, 308K)

It associates file extension if there is one. If it´s missing it uses the file type. I thought other DEs did the same thing.

>Why the sudden KDE shilling
"Shilling" for free open source software isn't how it works. Why shouldn't the work of developers who have immensely improved one major desktop environment be known?

Attached: 1520749613634.jpg (6024x5624, 3.81M)

>associates file extension
Sorry, into the trash it goes then
Meme DE that mimics Windows, no thanks

systemd

>systemd
What with it? It's not develop by the KDE developer team.

Are you hating on that just cause? File type detection wasn´t the most reliable shit last time I checked. Sometimes it fucked up.

ah you are right, my mistake, nvm lol.

>Are you hating on that just cause
Yes
When KDE has gui options for every fucking insignificant detail yet it copies the Windows way in something so basic it proves it's a meme DE
If KDE thinks that changing the filename (because a file extension is part of the file name) changes the file type I don't want to know what other thing they get wrong that no amount of fuckin around in menus and checkboxes will fix

It's not developed*

>that shill thread again
I will never use KDE because of your obnoxious shilling. And because it's bloated and buggy.

>>that shill thread again
>I will never use KDE because of your obnoxious shilling.
>And because it's bloated and buggy.
It isn't 2014. anymore.

I won´t take your freedom to have your "textFile.mp3" files, but I don´t understand how this is a problem if the user tagging the file is not an idiot. Also, as said before, file type detection can mess up. IMO, this is a better system.

Mr marketer learn how to quote.

>Mr marketer learn how to quote.
You clearly don't know what the word "shilling" means.
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shill
And no, it doesn't mean "marketing" free open source software.

>I won´t take your freedom to have your "textFile.mp3" files,
YES IT FUCKING DOES
IT FORCES ME TO NAME THE FILES A CERTAIN WAY
Not having a gui checkbox to enable wobbly windows or transparent blur doesn't deny me my freedom
Forcing to follow a naming convention and not autodetecting the file type denies my freedom
Meme DE
>but I don´t understand how this is a problem if the user tagging the file is not an idiot.
The only idiot here is KDE that is replicating the broken Windows paradigm and confusing file name with file type
>Also, as said before, file type detection can mess up
No it doesn't
It's a well understood problem and ancient unix practice that allows you to have shell scripts not ending in .sh and yet still work
If I wanted the Windows way I would stay in fucking Windows
>IMO, this is a better system.
Wrong, see above

You can remove extensions and have it behave as you wish. It defaults to type detection if there is no extension. And I have seen type detection fuck up. Basically, the only reason I see to be annoyed about naming files is that you can´t put an arbitrary extension to a file and pretend it to work (though I don´t know who wants that)

>You can remove extensions and have it behave as you wish.
>It defaults to type detection if there is no extension.
"Just rename your files bruh, KDE knows what's good for you"
In other words KDE is just another GNOME that pretends to know what's good for you
I have a better idea, not use the Windows wannabe known as KDE and use a proper file manager that works works the UNIX (and correct) way
>And I have seen type detection fuck up.
FUD
>Basically, the only reason I see to be annoyed about naming files is that you can´t put an arbitrary extension to a file and pretend it to work (though I don´t know who wants that)
The following files are all plain text files
>foo.txt
>foo.text
>foo.readme
>foo.README
>foo.ReadMe
>foo.TODO
>foo.ToDo
The traditional UNIX way (using file or xdg-mime) will have no trouble recognizing that they are plain text files
KDE will treat as different file types and will force me to specify an extension for each one
Overcomplicated, not though out garbage that mimics the worst practice from the popular OS (Windows)
No thanks

Is there a DE that doesn't do that? Both, gnome and kde's file managers' thumbnailers choke on png named .jpg and jpg named .png.

KDE > XFCE > Budgie > LXQt > Enlightenment > MATE > Cinnamon > GNOME > Pantheon > Deepin

Funnily enough, all your examples work perfectly in my arch kde install. By default it comes with a lot of associations. Also, I tested it now, and it seems that it also defaults to file type detection when the extension is not recognized. Overall, it seems like it´s better than what you propose.

Also, for an assignment in university, they wanted to list the filename of all images in a folder with file type detection, and it faild to do it correctly (some where detected as audio). How is that FUD? It still works fine usually, though.

>Also, I tested it now, and it seems that it also defaults to file type detection when the extension is not recognized
That's good to know

Still I don't like the way KDE works, it just adds another KDE specific database for something so trivial as file types and it conflates two separate concepts (file naming and file type) into one (file type)

Looks nice. Did you tweak anything or is it like that out of the box?
Is KDE really bloated anymore?

for file in *; do
xdg-mime query filetype "$file";
done

for file in *; do
file "$file";
done

It just maps recognized extensions to file types. I understand it seems needlessly complicated, but in my experience it works just fine.

>needlessly complicated
Typical KDE

Attached: ELdnQ3o.png (1277x1281, 968K)

Seems is the key. I don´t think it is.

Nice desktop screenshot. Proof that not even KDE shills use it irl.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-11.png (600x575, 246K)

blog.broulik.de/2018/03/gtk-global-menu/

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Unregister_existing_Wine_file_associations
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Prevent_new_Wine_file_associations
You should make it a habit to glance over Arch/Gentoo wiki before installing anything.

Nothing is stopping you from using Rhythmbox or Duplicity on plasma. What the hel...

Nice.

OP here. The image was taken from google images since my install has identifying info. But I do use kde fulltime and is similiar to what's posted, Latte dock + papirus icons + lato font == sexy as fuck and it's also much lighter weight. Sorry to post an image out of google images, but I stand by my statement " kde rocks. I've tweaked it again since posting the original pic and went with a more default install, removed the dock. Assholes like me give kde a bad name, sorry!

Attached: Screenshot_20180311_073109.png (1366x768, 265K)

>single click opens folder
into the trash

>hurr durr, fuck you make, stop conflating extensions with file types

I would probably use it if I had the appropriate hardware. Alas, with no video acceleration + 2 GB of RAM, it would pose issues with me.
Might install it on my work computer.

Attached: konqi.png (2082x3470, 646K)

Since this is not GNOME, there is an easily accessible setting to change this.

one bad default me no like desktop

Attached: gre.png (485x443, 27K)

Don't bother. Let the retards go to gnome where they belong.

>one bad default
Brainwashed microkike

Pretty colors

>desktop icons
>floating windows
>shit folder management
>having to ever touch your mouse
Get this normie shit off Sup Forums

Attached: ded.jpg (690x460, 186K)

Everyone got sick of GTK/GNOME bullshit.
There was always going to be a breaking point and they crossed it.

The KDE port of adapta would be nice it the context menus didn't have fuckhuge padding.

GNOME is way better

It sucks monkey balls

Attached: okular_mega_leak.png (1920x1080, 303K)

In the contrary, GNOME is more popular and used as ever, it is the best Linux DE, the standard Linux DE, only loser NEETs would you KrapDE

This is legit the order I would put them in. I like budgie a lot, xfce was to slim for my taste.

I wish Solus supported KDE. It's the only rolling distro that doesn't crash and burn after a update unlike Arch. Why is this true? What other stable rolling distros are there?

Attached: 1520734810462-pol.png (449x500, 248K)

You can make kde tile windows with your keyboard.

Too bad it has no features since they were all removed.

Nope. it has many features and is easily extendable with extensions to shape it the way you want it.

stock kde look still better than gnome&&xfce

>GNOME is stable*
>*provided you don't do anything since we abstracted all the functionality to extensions that aren't supported.

>GNOME is stable*
Is the most stable Linux DE, by far
>>*provided you don't do anything since we abstracted all the functionality to extensions that aren't supported.
So users can mold it their way and don't have useless krap they don't need ala KrapDE

I tried moving to KDE from XFCE. After about a week, I got tired of all the little bugs and reverted back to my XFCE image.

File manager would not reliably create thumbnails for videos even with the ffmpegthumbs package, issues with nVidia, font rendering issues when scrolling through system menu, key bindings wouldn't work 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, it was an attractive looking DE but too many little bugs. Was using Manjaro with KDE a couple months ago for reference.

Attached: 0z1m7b4c.gif (470x238, 1002K)

how do I get mine to look like that?

Did they fix how it forgets your multimonitor layout and what wallpaper you want on which one?

after all these years wasting time on gnome and xfce, i finally found the light.

Attached: Screenshot_20180311_181743.png (1366x768, 1.68M)

A bloated light full of bugs

>bloated
it never uses up more than 2gb of ram
>bugs
don't know what you're doing, but it runs fine here.

>KDE
>being good
You're joking

>my DE uses up to 2GB
>I-it's not bloated!

Attached: my-sides.jpg (640x460, 73K)

the DE? no, the whole system. KDE is barley over 500mb with full bloat, while xfce is around 400 and gnome over 800. most ram usage comes from firefox.

the only truthful reply

github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/adapta-kde/blob/master/README.md

yeah... that's still pretty bloated dude. My DE uses about 150MB at idle and I have all the functionality of a major DE

tl;dr my e-peen is bigger than yours. take this L and go home

>It doesn't have Akanodi
>It doesn't have Baloo
>Ir doesn't have Email
>It doesn't even have a calculator
For the things it has is still fucking bloated, at least XFCE comes with a calculator

so what? i'm glad you're happy with it, but the only one swinging around his "e-peen" are you.
dolphin actually has baloo, i don't know what akanodi is and i probably never will, it comes with kmail and and kcalc, so what are you brabbling about?

Kute!

Her name sounds like KDE!

Attached: KDE_women_mascot_Katie_development_cropped_by_Tyson_Tan.png (2420x2420, 820K)

Come to think of it I haven't seen konqiposter in a while

GNOME's stagnation and deliberate regressions combined with KDE's newfound stability and speed improvements.