Hey Sup Forums, what's a pointer?

hey Sup Forums, what's a pointer?

Attached: whatapointer.jpg (1274x530, 108K)

Something that points.

a tip

can you show me? can i download it from the appst- i mean from pypi?

>just the tip

when everything is a pointer, does it matter?

*segfaults*
Nothing personnel kid.

something that points

Attached: 1514853854355.png (694x262, 51K)

There is literally no purpose for a pointer when you can have contextual variables that intelligently reference pointers

:3

My finger points

Google "indirect addressing"

actually without a pointer you would copy your house and replace your house as soon as your house copy recieved the dragon dildo.

It's even worse than that, a copy of your house will recieve the dildo and then it will be destroyed.

Why not call it address instead of pointer, then?

my dick

The address is the value of a pointer. A pointer is a variable holding that value.

Why are people struggling with pointers? This shit is intuitively simple.

wots a compooter? X3

as the pointer itself has it's own adress and at the same time stores the value of an other adress at it's own adress

What's the difference between a C++ reference and a pointer? I know you can't do pointer arithmetic with references, but what else is different?

I think the pointer has it's own place in memory
but the reference has the same address as the variable it's referencing

References can't be null.

its a type of dog

references are so counter-intuitive to me
especially passing to functions
good old pointers are clear and logical

Adding to this, this is what allows for double pointers / multiple layers of indirection. Which can be helpful for managing memory in your own ways.

A string is basically a linked list right?

what is the type of that variable

Most of my classmates have no idea how to use double and onward pointers. It gets too hard to manage.

Especially since we're from EEE, one moment we are blinking LEDs, next moment we are doing this shit.

Attached: fash.png (600x1400, 1.43M)

A special type that includes physical memory addresses an permissions in one same thing.

a dog

whichu doin on dat cumputah deh

trying to figure out how to reverse a string >:(

you have my genuine gratitude

Is pointer exclusive to C/C++?

No. They're core to learning HTML5 and Haskell too

A reference is just another alias to the original variable. A pointer is a variable that stores a memory address. References are good for quickly passing a variable to another function while pointers let you do much more advanced things. At least that's my understanding.

"pointer to a pointer" is a self-referential paradox that leads to infinity

it could create artificial consciousness

Tragic.

No, according to wikipedia ada, basic, c#, cobol, pl/i, d, eiffel, fortran, go, modula-2, oberon, pascal, and perl all support pointers.

Imagine the security nightmare having pointers in javascript would cause.

I'm legitimately surprised that EE people have more trouble with pointers than software specific people, like if you know how RAM modules are implemented (in basic concept) I'd imagine you may have a better understanding of addresses.

I guess this is where the rubber meets the road for both hardware and software people though, they both seem to struggle with it at times.