Are they the best female artists of this generation?

Are they the best female artists of this generation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-LnYLF_E1NU
youtube.com/watch?v=Bwu6bZDRWOM
youtube.com/watch?v=SIL6dN1GR8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=37u3_659fXk
youtube.com/watch?v=SFFAPJ-ZMkI
youtube.com/watch?v=xib6H9olnmg
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are they all so disgustingly ugly?

Low b8.

"I only know female artist that get spammed on Sup Forums"

>implying that I should post obscure artists just to satisfy your hipster needs

>implying obscure artists aren't typically better than mainstream ones

Why do Sup Forums memers pretend to not know Jessy Lanza?
Guess they really are clueless

>implying that those 4 artists are really mainstream

>implying you didnt know i was talking about the com/mu/nity

hello Ruth Garbus

I know only 2 women in that picture and they make pits of hell awful music. Sup Forums has shit taste in women

We, really now, no memes, don't all read Pitchfork.

FKA twigs instead of Grimes

Who does?
Why would you know her from there?

Anais Mitchell, Joanna Newsom, Basia Bulat, Beach House's victoria Legrand

Julia Holter > St. Vincent > Laurel Halo >>> Grimes

Laurel Halo is orders of magnitude more talented than the rest of the them.

The others are far, far behind.

>I know only 2 women in that picture and they make pits of hell awful music.
>translated: I don't like these artists so i must hate them. everyone else is wrong and i am right.

FKA sucks.

maybe the ugliest

Here's your (you)

>FKA sucks
This.

>Laurel Halo is orders of magnitude more talented than the rest of the them.
Based on what? I get it, you're a fan of her, but she's the worst from the list.

who's the the bottom right? I know Grimeth, St Vincent and Julia Hotler but who's the 4th?

Laurel Halo

I like to put Laurel Halo on when I play video games but thats about it

>no Newsom on the chart
Come on son.

Not him, but:
>metacritic
>Marry Me the lowest
>no Tragedy
>Ekstasis the lowest
>Art Angels the highest
>metacritic

C'mon son.

This is ironic "best" not actual best

oh right I've been meaning to listen to her Debut for a while now, maybe I should listen to it after the album I'm listening to now.

st vincents stuff is pretty ordinary

>nobody commenting on this, but keep arguing the others

ya plebs

They're an average of the ratings by the major reviewers (P4K, Spin, ...). Blame them, not Metacritic.

If I had to choose 3 of this generation it would be, i'll also pick my favorite songs for each of them because i'm bored right now:
Joanna Newsom
youtube.com/watch?v=-LnYLF_E1NU
Julia Holter
youtube.com/watch?v=Bwu6bZDRWOM or In the same room
St. Vincent
youtube.com/watch?v=SIL6dN1GR8Y

You standards for girls are too high
get a girlfriend

Janelle Monae has released a better album than all those skanks

They're no better than those 4 in the OP's post. There's a reason they're not that appreciated: they're boring, MOR coffee house artists. Hipster shit that you could hear in Starbucks.

replace st vincent with fka twigs

No. Fka Twigs is overrated borigness. She can't sing and can't write decent songs.

>Based on what?

Based on the fact that she has more creative ideas, better understanding of production and mixing, she is a genuine musical genius with an exceptionally high IQ, she can actually string a melody together, and Quarantine was the only truly ground-breaking album of the last 5 years.

Just listen to all of the layers and delicate texture of Hour Logic and compare that to the piss weak productions of Grimes (beyond fucking comparison here), the by-the-numbers balladry of Holter (note, zero synth programming talent, has to use precreated timbres in the form of classical instruments) or the uninspired psuedo-experimental pop music of Saint Vincent.

In truth, you either hear this or you don't. There's a great deal of people on Sup Forums and to a greater extent the wider populace who listen to music on review like you, or who ascribe various weight to artists based on their popularity and quirky aspects.

I'm not one of these people. I know when I've heard ideas before that could have been created by other artists.

No female artist has produced something as layered, dense, experimental yet restrained, and most importantly sincerely evocative as Laurel Halo's Quarantine in decades, in fact I'd probably say that overall she's the greatest female artist of all time. It's a shame most won't understand this because they have not listened widely or intently enough to understand the subtle power and brilliance of her music, but what can I say? I'm taking time out here for you to be my didact and you should be both grateful for that and the implications.

this is just more waifu faggotry

hahaha that was one funny copy pasta

where the fuck is my Kimbra???

ching chong ning nong is for plebs

this

>Hadestown
>Coffehouse

>Newsom
>Boring

>Beach House
>MOR

Alright, your picks?

Fuck no. The top 2 are easily

Anais Mitchell
Joanna Newsom

HM: Sharon Van Etten

Good taste. Basia is never mentioned but she's damn good, though her most recent release was sort of a let down

this

Victoria Legrand

>zero synth programming talent

Nobody was arguing that Julia was the better button presser, just the superior composer and arranger.

Going to see yung Holter live in about an hour

Without a hint of sarcasm, and in the most honest way I tell you this: kill yourself. Or as an alternative, try to think for once and form your own opinions.

I wish St. Vincent did more No Wave and Noise Rock songs

>no Caroline in the whole thread

>Just listen to all of the layers and delicate texture of Hour Logic and compare that to the piss weak productions of Grimes (beyond fucking comparison here), the by-the-numbers balladry of Holter (note, zero synth programming talent, has to use precreated timbres in the form of classical instruments) or the uninspired psuedo-experimental pop music of Saint Vincent.
Laurel Halo does sweet nothingness. No fucking memorable songs or even a decent melody in her whole discography. That's why Grimes, St. Vincent and Julia Holter are so appreciated: they can write fucking great songs and produce their own music.

Here you go.

>ANGEL OLSEN

mah niggah

>tfw overlooked because ugly and doesn't make boring indie pop

I still think Mia Khalifa's fake tits are nice, who is that girl anyway

St. Vincent is my favorite. I don't know why since I do think her music isn't as "advanced" if you want to say that as something like Holter or Newsom but it just appeals to me the most for some reason.

Grimes really shouldn't be on there I don't think.

Also more people should listen to Kedr Livanskiy.

Gillian Welch

youtube.com/watch?v=37u3_659fXk

ma man!

what do you think of the other 3?

Nice, sounds good, will listen to her albums

Agree on those 3, maybe even add PJ if you consider her of this consideration

I feel the same way about her, she doesnt make complex music with incredible arrangements or anything but she makes very beautiful melodies mixed with very distorted guitar or even noise, and I really fucking love that. She wrote, played and produced most of her first album all by herself so it's not like she doesn't have the technical knowledge, she is more of a guitarist than anything else anyway, so basic art rock/art pop is what she does

Recommend me a new waifu Sup Forums

>her music isn't as "advanced" if you want to say that as something like Holter or Newsom
Her music is WAY more advanced than Holter and Newsom. The latter artists make polite and easy to digest music. Annie Clark actually makes innovative and exciting music.

>The latter artists make polite and easy to digest music.
lol read the comments to this
youtube.com/watch?v=SFFAPJ-ZMkI

Newsom's music is FAR more esoteric than St. Vincent's.

hahaha. Just because it's easy to digest doesn't make it more complex. St. Vincent makes standard rock. Newsom and Holter are way more meticulous in their sound and compositions. FYI, I like St. Vincent

St. Vincent is a fake avant pop singer my friend. She's Lady Gaga for the starbucks crowd

none of them are trans.. this is severely problematic

Chelsea Wolfe pre-Abyss

Thread says female, not mentally ill

bottom right is from my city

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Then why it sounds like boring folk harpy music?

(here's your you)
You are the "fake" st vincent fan spouting memes so people hate her once again

dont fall for the b8ing, i like her music but this guy is just bating and shitposting

Because it's not? It has elements of art music and baroque pop.

I wish Laurel Halo had more albums. Quarantine is her only notable release.

Julia Holter is really good live.

She played a 10 minute version of Goddess Eyes which seemed pretty much all improv when I saw her. The girl stood next to me fainted during it.

>No fucking memorable songs or even a decent melody in her whole discography.

Wrong as shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=xib6H9olnmg

This song is more beautiful, more plaintive and emotionally resonant, more sincere and has greater gravitas than any of those artists.

Just listen to that song.

That song proves that she has the talent of the best balladeers, but that the rest of her work avoids clichéd pop song structuring as a default framework because it doesn't actually evoke her true artistic vision.

It is so, so clear that you have not listened widely enough to understand the significance of Laurel Halo's work. Also if you think that the others are better producers you are woefully, totally uninformed. The others have no idea about gear. Laurel Halo talks at length about her favourite filter banks, synths, she understands the principles of synthesis at the technological and creative level.

Her talent, again, is an order of magnitude above the rest.

This. She's incredibly talented

t. embryo

nice meme buddy

I like Halo but this is one embarassing post. Take off your fanboy hat for a while, my friend.

hahaha xD great one, i'm sure this will make it to the frontpage of r/Sup Forums :D

Do you mean Grimes.

That's not Sleater-Kinney

What we should do is get all these female musicians into a mud wrestling competition to see once and for all who is superior.

They're mediocre.

i can get behind this

I love the Ramona Lisa record but the latest from Chairlift has been bad.

Wow nice bait lad

Grimes, Aurora, St. Vincent and Kimbra.

i love her

Whoa nigga, you expect me to read all that shit...

Based off the cover art, I'll give you that Hour Logic is one amazing song though.

I actually think this is a joke, but it took a minute to decide. if b8, is gr8 b8