I'm looking at trying out a raspberry pi as daily driver

I'm looking at trying out a raspberry pi as daily driver

Is it possible? Is it worth it? How would you go about doing it?

Attached: images-1.jpg (355x228, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Bben-win10-mini-pc-computer-quad-core-built-in-fan-ssr3-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-or/32788012650.html
aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece-High-Speed-Micro-Mini-4-Port-USB-2-0-Hub-USB-Port-For-Laptop/32778451782.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is but performance is abysmal even if you install the most minimal of minimalistic programs with either debian or arch.

You're better off buying a thinkpad for the money you're about to expend or similar.

I mean currently I've got an older model (500mb ram model)running a barebones raspbian/i3 install and it's not too bad. Problems only arise with web browsers cause there's nothing really light weight enough. However I'm sure if I upgraded to one of the 1gb models I could run a basic browser for 4cheng and whatnot

Don't even bother with a mSD card. Get it to boot off a USB key or a USB HDD/SSD else you're going to want to commit suicide.

Why's that? My plan was to use an external HDD for storage, but why not boot off the microSD? I haven't had any problems with it before

as a daily driver I'd say no, everything is restricted by USB so you get poor network, file transfer and HDD performance.

a SBC with actual sata is more viable.
but at that point you may as well buy a NUC.

boot from the microsd to a rootfs located on a flashdrive. it will be faster.

I dont really care about boot times. It's not a laptop I'm not turning it off and on heaps

Network has WiFi and Ethernet on the pi3. The rest doesn't really matter that much. File transfer speeds aren't too bad, I don't really plan on moving around tons of large files or anything like that. And even then I'm happy to wait.

the system will be faster. also, mSD wear off faster.

pi3's ethernet port uses USB, it's really slow.
I've been in this boat, I used one as a kind of a nas/filehost/webserver.
Moving anything on or off the pi3 takes forever.

This is correct. MicroSD is like taking a normal SSD and forgetting everything about what makes it good

It depends what your "daily driver" needs are.

If all you do is write and check email then it's absolutely possible. If you render high quality 3D images, then not at all.

I have a "work computer" that's just a Pi that loads into the command-line version of emacs, and it handles everything totally fine.

ExplainingComputers did a video where he did this for a week

Better than booting from NFS?

Mostly web browsing, music playing, a bit of boring python stuff for fun. Maybe watching some animes or whatever. It should be capable of all that no?

> Is it possible?
Barely, unless you prefer doing everything on a minimalist Linux.

> Is it worth it?
No. Get an ODroid XU4 or such at least (not the best SBC ever, still cheap), then it's more reasonable. At least these can access a HDD at decent speeds or run some video without heating issues.

Or just some boring old Intel (onboard x86 aren't that expensive).

I mean sure it's better but it's more expensive, shipping would be a fortune to where I live, and it doesnt have the same level of community support the pi does. I don't see why I couldn't do everything I need to on a pi

with dietpi you can do whatever you want to do on any of those SBCs.

These SBCs, considering their power in comparison to many computers of fairly recent history are actually far more useless than they have any right to be.

But that says more about the way software is now written than anything.

> I don't see why I couldn't do everything I need to on a pi
I think it is just too close to its limits with just running Chromium or mpv alone.

> it's more expensive
Easily worth it IMO; around 3-4 times as potent in terms of hardware in most regards. So it's NOT constantly near, at or above its limits.

>Chromium
Well duh

Connect an old CRT (the smaller the better) and get into shell accounts like SDF.

Attached: IMG_0280.jpg (640x480, 211K)

It's one of the lightest full feature set web browsers.

You really want to deal with surf or another super minimalist web browser nobody thought of when they made their website?

The RPi had bottlenecks in hardware that human users commonly hit pretty badly, and the chipsets are done with ancient semiconductor processes like the "45nm" type that was new like 10 years ago.

Other SBC have more recent semiconductors, more recent ARM designs, less bottlenecks most people will easily hit.

Even then, SBC are budget devices in general; I don't remember any that became widespread with more fancy "current gen" hardware on it. Figures they just can't sell the expensive parts that will otherwise go in >$400 smartphones.

It wasn't many years ago where you had to close programs to run others. It worked fine most of the time.

> It wasn't many years ago where you had to close programs to run others.
Running essentially only one larger application? That's something over 20 years ago for me. It's a large waste of time and highly inconvenient.

But if you're okay with that, go ahead.

I probably did that up until around 2005 because of RAM limitations. I don't remember it being that inconvenient, just the way things worked and always had, and since back then you didn't need to play 5 games with 200 tabs open in your browser along with 10 messaging programs and some telemetry on top of that at the same time it was fine.

slow as fuck.
might as well use your phone.

Multitasking was a mistake for the home user. All it did was result in scatterbrained morons and background tracking.

I don't play 5 games at the same time either; obviously that's why something only like 1/5 as powerful than an x86 Atom was even an option.

But various browser web sites are fat, your python software can be fat, and even between just them always shutting down one and starting the other is an arsepain not worth doing.

If you think it's fine for you, go ahead.

Don't do it user, you'll be wasting your money, just buy one of these and install your favorite OS.

aliexpress.com/item/Bben-win10-mini-pc-computer-quad-core-built-in-fan-ssr3-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-or/32788012650.html

>Is it possible?
yes
>Is it worth it?
No.
>How would you go about doing it?
Plug it in and only use free software.

I think that microsd connector is only 20Mb/s read
Dont forget to buy passive cooling and strong psu so you can overclock it(and you cant run hdd on usb because max draw from port is 600mA(i think that you can hack it to use 1200per port) )

Just buy a used laptop for $80 Jesus Christ

My rpi2 is 24/7 i2p node for 2years, same sdcard

Wouldn't do that either, compute sticks usually are annoying with regards to ports, maybe heat dissipation, and sometimes plainly with how they're plugged into a HDMI port.

You're usually not so pressed for space that you can't use a slightly larger box with the same kind of hardware, but more USB ports (without extra hub) and stuff. They cost ~the same anyhow.

Yea but some SPA websites may load slow and perform laggy

How about this one.

Same linkage?

Anyhow, the point was that I much prefer boxes like pic related (not a specific model, the point is the more physically stable, more numerous ports). Generally they virtually cost the same, but it's just a better form.

Attached: tvbox.jpg (960x520, 41K)

>Same linkage?
Oops.
aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece-High-Speed-Micro-Mini-4-Port-USB-2-0-Hub-USB-Port-For-Laptop/32778451782.html

Yea, I'd very much suggest to prefer that format.

Of course I don't know that specific model.

What is a daily driver?

Attached: EtxXIVy6Te6EwQPfh32Bh-MAmVp8Xdb4BjZyrRZSHTM.png (273x363, 91K)

>open this thread
>ctrl F "autism"
>no results
wtf