Is this a meme?

I've been trying to learn vim, I've gone through vimtutor and all that but I feel like navigating the cursor and trying to remember all the shortcuts is an utter chore. Is learning this even worth it? Can it be as powerful as some of the popular IDEs?(Intellij IDEA etc.)

Attached: 0-jerns7ad-vim-s-.png (283x283, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vim.wikia.com/wiki/Omni_completion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Vim is a language as much as an editor. Learn the syntax and compose your own commands. It's really quite useful.

Great for when you're console'd into some remote system that doesn't have gfx or doing some light work. I know a lot of people go crazy with it, but seems like if you have a gui, why not use it?

I don't even "move the cursor" the way it recommends because you can still just use the arrow keys which is frankly more convenient. As a CLI text editor I prefer it to things like Nano because of the insert/read modes.
>press dd to delete a line
nice

Mental context switching is expensive. If you can just keep your hands on home row for your entire editing session it makes you more able to focus.

>more convenient
Maybe if you're a huge pleb that can't touch type.

I use the vim input mode for RubyMine (which is just IntellliJ, as far as I know) and it is very useful skill. Just continue practicing.
Vim taught me regexes, to the point that I am the regex expert at work.

I also leave the arrow keys enabled because of my typing style, I don't rest on the homerow because I've found that's only as fast for English, not necessarily for programming with all the symbols, hotkeys, navigation (both in editor and other windows), etc.

vim sucks as an IDE. only /g's toy programmers use it. qt-creator or VS are much better.

learn vim and then install doom-emacs which is emacs configured to be like vim

I like 2 things about Visual Studio, the memory watcher window, and the scrollbar session stuff. I can replicate the former with lldb, and I could probably find a plugin for the latter.

Outside of those features I really hate everything else about it, I feel like I spend more time on third party projects trying to configure builds or struggle to fetch dependencies that will link/compile with something instead of just having system libraries and makefiles.

vcpkg, oneget, nuget, etc. are working to fix this but it's still not the norm so I feel like you can't really rely on it yet and instead have to rely on graphical configuration menus in a proprietary platform locked editor just to build a project. And the install is huge and slow, I'd rather all the tools be standalone but work together, instead of being built as 1 thing that works 1 particular way.

>Is learning this even worth it?
In my opinion yes, it's worth it
Having a good dependable editor to take with you in any OS is a good thing and something you shouldn't take for granted
Vim provides that, I never have to thing about it, Vim is always there for me for any language and with any feature I can imagine
It's free, it's fast, I love it

On the other hand I was talking a look at my vimrc the other day (due to busy schedule it has stabilized for the last year and for my use it's feature complete)
I was shocked.
I have a 1000 line long vimrc
Also I have about 2000 lines of unpublished Vim plugins I wrote myself and I use all the time
It's crazy

These are things I could never talk to a girl about and it makes me sad

Other than that Vim is perfect

>I'm a kissless virgin if this wasn't obvious
>sorry for the blog post

>I've been trying to learn vim
I'd take that attitude and just toss it out.

This is coming from someone that's gone through VimTutor only a couple of times: you don't need to "learn Vim" to enjoy it; and you certainly don't need to *only* use Vim.

My home directory doesn't have a vimrc. The only plugins I have installed are Syntastic and winmanager (which I almost never use). I don't know anything about Vim besides what Vimtutor teaches you.

Vim is my go-to editor, but it's not my IDE. I work on projects with my IDE. When I need to make edits to individual files, I use Vim. I just really like being able to work straight form a terminal, without having to rely on the mouse at all.

Basically, Vim is what you make of it. There's a whole spectrum of how deep you can go with it, ranging from a guy like me to a guy like .

TL;DR -- don't get caught up in "learning Vim". Use it as it suits you, or don't.

Virtually all popular IDEs have vim plugins.

Is it necessary to learn? In any professional setting, you'll be using a full IDE and will only use a text editor for quick tasks so, no, you can get by with nano just fine. If you don't want to learn it you don't need to. For me, I find it fun to quickly edit text with the keyboard and a lot of IDEs have good vim emulation so I can use what I learned in vim elsewhere. Fun? Yes. Pragmatic? Maybe not.

Just start using it and have a vim cheat sheet ready until you get used to the commands.

>cheat sheet
The trick to learn Vim is to create your own cheat sheet (with a pen and paper) and not rely on a cheat sheet you find online

good trick, I'll try this

The main appeal of vim is that it's more powerful than smaller text editors but smaller and more pleasant to use out of the box than emacs. It's not necessarily a better choice than an IDE if you have access to one.
You have to remember that vim traces its origins back to a time when programmers were writing significant amounts of prose in addition to code. So you should think of it as more of a general purpose text editor.
Bottom line, if you need to be able to edit lots of text in a terminal it's an excellent choice, but if you're just looking to write some code there are better options.

>The trick to learn Vim is to create your own cheat sheet
totally this
all cheat sheets and tutorials on the net are shit

get pic related, take notes while reading and you will have your own custom cheat sheet at the end of the book

Attached: 51rwk+4aT8L._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (385x499, 36K)

just use it for 3 days to write code and you will get used to it

It sucks as an IDE because it isn't an IDE, dumbass.

Attached: 1517975171224.gif (487x560, 898K)

every IDE has a vim-mode plugin

Why would you even suggest Vim is a meme?

itt you spend too much time on Sup Forums

Attached: no.jpg (707x263, 89K)

>. Is learning this even worth it?
Yes. Why do you even need to ask?

Any structured text file may have something annoying to deal with, and vim's combination of macros, regex, the command syntax and so on is a powerful way to do it.

> Can it be as powerful as some of the popular IDEs?
Rather than it being set up and maintained as the ideal IDE [with plugins], it's such a powerful editor that some people experienced with using it just use it to program and succeed really well.

Maybe you could say it doesn't actually have the perfect set of IDE features from the start, but once you learn enough and see how ridiculously powerful the editor is, it makes up for a good part of this....?

Either way, once you know vim you'll probably find yourself using it quite often even along with an IDE. Most people do, anyhow.

yap p {{{ (( dap )) p )) yap (( p dd p }} dd p

Na man just hit
>esc hghsdkrigjnsjfcjgjdfolgjsjf
And install a bunch of additional scripts turning it into an abomination of a program.

Attached: 20180309_143333.jpg (1024x1024, 419K)

The best and quickest way to learn Vim is to install a browswer with Vim-like keybindings and live for 2 weeks. Use Qutebrowser and stare at its giant help picture every time you try to shitpost.

Attached: cheatsheet-big.png (3342x2060, 942K)

Vim is not a meme. Do not learn it. You will hate yourself. You will use vim for everything from note-taking to writing up LaTeX. In the cases where you need to use another IDE because the language is too much of a mess for you to be bothered to set up plug-ins for it (I.e java) , it will be unusable until you find a vim plug in. That being said I use vim for python, C family languages, R and OCaml without problems. Btw you will never be able to use another person's machine ever again. You'll slide over, try to show them something and mash out an incomprehensible sequence of "hhhjjjkkl" until you press esc and fuck something up in the IDE. You will NEVER be able to write code without vim again. DO NOT LEARN IT.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-05-01-09-15.png (1440x2560, 1.7M)

Linux is the IDE. Vim is just the part that edits text.

Reminder that neovim is the future of vim and all your plugins will work, or have been replaced by better async versions.

Attached: 1494549957302.png (360x104, 19K)

>being this retarded

The only "IDE feature" of any value to me that Vim doesn't have out of the box is autocomplete hinting for code. Of course I mostly deal in interpreted languages so I have a language repl as my debugger. I haven't learned much about gdb yet so that may be a non issue as well.

you wanna couple vim with a terminal multiplexer like tmux for max gains

Vim is fucking shit. I know it and use it because its installed on every remote system, but being ubiquitous and being good are two different things

t. salty fag who couldn't pass vimtutor

Is there any reason not to set noswapfile?

Why the fuck would you ever set that?

so I don't get any more fucking annoying warnings about some erroneous swap file causing a conflict

Have you tried not using pkill -9 to exit Vim?

I don't

I cant believe there is no setting for getting rid of the tildas on empty lines, I hate those, line numbers make them unnecessary

this is true, but I really like the leaked NSA vim cheatsheat which focused on the movement patterns.

>> pic related

Attached: vim_shortcuts_nsa.png (1280x800, 88K)

There comes a point though where you are so accustomed to vim-like editing that an IDE without strong vim support is a hinderance.

everything here is true, thats why you should learn it

found the meme! unix userland is incredibly powerful for working with text and vim sit perfectly in the centre of that world, but its not an ide...

this might be what you're looking for: vim.wikia.com/wiki/Omni_completion

use nano then you little bitch

Vim is useful because after some time using it you stop thinking about editing and costantly interrupting your focus to do edits using the mouse.

Basically you enter a mode in which yohr brain thinks about code and the logic while muscle memory does the editing wothout getting in the way slightly

It is incredibly useful. I will never be able to use anything other than vim, or something that replicates vim keybindings

Ctrl+v by itself is worth it. And macros are too. How often have you needed to repeat a small task thousands of times?

I needed to extract IPs from a log
qa // record macro a
/\s // find the nearest whitespace character
v // select
/\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3} // find something that looks like an IP
h // move one character to the left because the search lands you at the start of the IP
d // delete
a [enter] [esc] // insert a new line
q // end macro
10000@a // replay macro 10000 times

If I got anything wrong, excuse me I'm on the phone right now

>tfw barely know enough vim to get through writing muh fizzbuzzes but experienced this just a few minutes ago doing a programming challenge

Attached: GWhkY1Y.jpg (1000x750, 241K)

just use joe

>easy to use, almost as easy as nano
>not as autistic as emacs
>not as autistic as vim
>still configurable
>nobody knows about it so you won't have people jumping on you for using it over an IDE
>bisqwit uses it

i don't think he literally meant an IDE, just that it serves as one

Nano isn't installed on every server

why do people act like this is a huge deal to begin with, just install the text editor you need holy shit they're not even that big

t. never managed a big fleet of servers

implying anybody here does

Lol I do, under oppressive change management controls

sooo why is it impossible to use another editor

Bind the arrow keys to other utilities you sometimes do but don't want to bother typing everytime, like moving splits, changing buffers, split size etc. Do arrow keys work as normal movement commands even? (Ie. Shit like 15j, d2k, c8w, dG etc.)

you develop strong muscle memory for what would be complex editing actions in most other editors.

ignore my reply...

Why would you learn vim when pic related exists?

Attached: pngS3bIZeRH7h.png (256x258, 22K)

>If you can just keep your hands on home row for your entire editing session it makes you more able to focus.
>He gets distracted moving his hand from his keyboard to his mouse

Is this the true power of ADHD?

Attached: PictureOfCostanza.jpg (479x488, 20K)

Is there any difference between Vim and Emacs evil? Disclaimer: I haven't quite learned either editor, just glanced over tutor modes, and Vim seems the less painful one to actually use, but Emacs has many interesting modes like org-mode, email client or even that vibrator remote control thing, so if I could use it with Vim controls it would be nice.

>vibrator remote control
Do you really need your text editor to stimulate your prostate while you write user

Can you control your vibrator with vim keybindings though?

I switched from vim to spacemacs (with evil-mode) some while ago (after years of using vim), and I can only recomment it. Vim + plugins is quite painful when you need some nice IDE-like features.