The absolute state of studying STEM at an American university

>The absolute state of studying STEM at an American university
>mfw """Calc I""" is studied at high school in Europe

Attached: 1464513534740.png (616x754, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

usnews.com/news/blogs/stem-education/2012/01/18/american-students-are-taking-harder-math-science-courses
tech.mit.edu/V132/N24/graphics/ghack.html
pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/STEP/Papers/2016 STEP 3.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"""Calc I"""
Segmenting math topics in high school was a mistake

Attached: 1502875481695.jpg (419x500, 32K)

I studied Calc I and Calc II my junior year in HS in America. Nice try.

>Not realising that calculating the area under the graph is what passes for high-school "calculus" in Europe.

t. Norwegian

Why does it speak to you like a children?

teenagers are children

Calc 1 and 2 are taught at most American high schools you retarded europoor

Then why are they allowed to drive cars?

How else would (((they))) sell more cars and insurance without people to cause crashes?

We were integrating holomorphic functions in kindergarden

it hurts even more that I'm too stupid to get into that school.

Hopefully that email is bait.

>at most
>Since 2000, the percentage of graduates who took calculus increased from 11.6 percent to 15.9 percent,
usnews.com/news/blogs/stem-education/2012/01/18/american-students-are-taking-harder-math-science-courses

Then why are so few students taking it?

dropping out of MIT -> actual smart people
studying in MIT -> liberal soyboys
can't even get into MIT -> Sup Forums

If I was accepted via emojis and Harry Potter jokes, I'd almost rather drop out. I don't even want to think how much tuition is there

Calc 1 is honors only and Calc 2 is usually taught via dual enrollment or AP programs

Calc 1 and 2 in highschool are like the amputated retarded ginger little brother versions of their college counterparts

>can't even get into MIT -> Sup Forums
tech.mit.edu/V132/N24/graphics/ghack.html

Attached: ghack.jpg (580x339, 98K)

university serves no purpose to actual smart people

Can Sup Forums pass the maths entrance exam for Cambridge? This is an exam taken by 18 year olds in the UK.

pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/STEP/Papers/2016 STEP 3.pdf

is this the "we dont want you but you can try anyway" test?

>I took Calc 27 in High School
>12 year old kids in Uzbekistan are taking this math test, can you stack up?
>Absolute state of ""American"" """Education"""
>College is useless anyway
Sup Forums was a mistake

University is treated like a daycare for adults by most of its freshmen who have not had a taste of the real world and have no idea of the impending hell and suffering they're going to be in for when they graduate.
About halfway through a good amount of them pull their heads out of their ass. Many don't.

Have you looked at what they learn to get their CS degrees? No wonder pajeets are taking their jobs.

Few students take honors/ap classes because the majority are idiots

Surely the majority of kids are 'idiots' in europe as well hmmm

Most of the time they only have one Calc class with a dozen students.
Community colleges and universities have dozens of basic math and algebra classes.
Many students in K-12 are minorities who can barely speak English, let alone literate in what they speak natively.
Stand and Deliver wasn't all factual. The program dissolved a decade later too.

try getting a job without any degree.

Like prime minister

Attached: GettyImages-470516118-e1488543578405.jpg (820x550, 33K)

It used to be the current meta for humor up until a couple years ago.

Why get a job when you can work for yourself?

my point is that the truly brilliant people will be a success without university, it is just a racket now. do you think bill gates or linus torvalds gained anything by attending university?

Well linus certainly learned how to be the biggest cunt there is

youre point is a pile of horse shit for several reasons, number one just because some did exceedingly well without a college degree doesn't mean that you will.
>Why get a job when you can work for yourself?
if you can do that for yourself great. the vast majority wont or cant. they will usually work for someone else because, fuck dealing with externalities.

considering we are on Sup Forums, i highly doubt you have the social skills in order to sell yourself as opposed to chad.

Don't worry eurofag...you have brown people too now. You're schools and education will plummet too now.

Have fun.

>be john major
>have no degree
>apply for job as a bus driver, get rejected
>become prime minister of GB anyway
>press find out about the bus driver rejection
>they falsely claim it's because I failed the bus driver exam
>no, actually I never failed any exam
>they just have a minimum height requirement and I'm a manlet
>tfw no comfy bus driver job

Attached: Major_PM_full.jpg (470x660, 252K)

Free if you get in and your parents earn under 100k

>Sup Forums

It's just the new Reddit

Is it true Americans have to take PE and language classes in their first year even though they're just doing comp sci or something

why is having standards a bad thing?

It's entirely up to the college you go to.

asking for maths that probably goes farther than the first year as an entry exam is kinda cynical, dont you think?

What is covered in calc I vs pre calc? I've done some basic integration and differentiation. What would that be?

What did you see in both Calc I and II during high school?

> What a twist
Every European engineering university makes fun of MIT for how low
the standard is

These people need to be lined up and shot.

> doesn’t understand how insurance works

To get into Calculus, you have to test into an advanced track in middle school. When I was in 7th grade, everyone had to take a test to determine what math class they would take in 8th grade. If you scored high, you'd take Algebra I. If you scored low, you'd take Pre-Algebra. The course progression after that was: Pre-Algebra -> Algebra I -> Geometry -> Algebra II -> Pre-Calculus -> AP Calculus.

When you started high school, those who took Pre-Algebra in 8th grade would take Algebra I in their freshman year, while those who took Algebra I would take Geometry in their freshman year. During your senior year, you'd take Pre-Calculus if you were on the idiot's track, and AP Calculus if you were on the smarter track.

tfw I was in algebra 1 freshman year then sophmore year took algebra 2 then took trig/precalc junior year then took stats instead only to have to do it all over again and take algebra 2 in uni and now in calc 3 and linear algebra kms.

I went to school full of suburban niggers and we still did calc 1 and 2. The only reason it isn't standard is because of the aforementioned niggers who can't get their intelligence higher than that if a white 12 year old so we have to pretend calc is an "advanced placement course."

>Well linus certainly learned how to be the biggest cunt there is
He's probably one of the least bad, but his interactions are a searchable and indexable matter of public record. You'd probably think he's a harmless kitten if we had the same level of access to the interactions of heads of major companies, political parties, and social movements.

Man can you retards start memeing about singular businessmen, who were successful after dropping out of school? Bill Gates and Steve Jobs we’re both attending top Universities but dropped out, why? Because both had an opportunity that made it worth it to drop out and guess what faggot? 99.99999999999999999999991% won’t have that opportunity, so when they dropout, they find out just how screwed they are, especially after dropping out of a place like MIT.

>dropping out of MIT be cuz of da libcuck
You got a praise kekistan t shirt to go with that edge?

If American universities weren't all marketing and style and no substance, Americans wouldn't resort to kidnapping, blackmailing, and giving war crime immunity; to Russian, German, and Japanese scientists for all the science and technology ever invented in USA.

If you guys think American education is bad just look at Australias

Has it dropped that badly?
Or is it a case of others surpassing them?

Looks fake as fuck. Can't believe anyone would fall for this bait.

I think that's a big mistake of our society to think like that. Now that I work with teenagers I can see that you should consider them more adults than kids. Generally they grow up faster and stop being complete retards.

>MIT is not a public institution

Who cares, about these snobs?

I passed that... With the worst grade out of three lol

>ghack
god bless you pranksters

>European schools don't even make it into world top 5
Do you take kids in and turn them into retards? Global rankings are dominated by Asians and MIT

>Rating of Unis
>A measurement of the diversity of the academic staff
Great fucking metric to be evaluating for your fucking education.

>chinese and Singaporean universities dominate the rankings
>MUH DIVERSUTY

The absolute state of eurocucks

Retard euros take pre-college algebra classes and call it “calculus.”

I'm actually from Singapore, and it's a huge joke that NTU and NUS rank higher than Ivy League unis, Delft, French Ecole, TUM, etc.

Our universities have achieved nothing. Not a single noble laureate, not a technological, artistic, cultural, or business achievement that is noteworthy at an international level.

The reason our universities rank so high is because we game the system. We invite foreign professors who are considered third rate in their home countries to come here and be professors, and we give out tons of scholarships to foreign students who break bond and run back to China or move to USA.

Rankings take into account the proportion of foreign faculty and students, and we score really well in that.

If you factor in the number of bullshit derivative papers our academics here are forced to churn out in random journals, it becomes even clearer why Sinagpore's universities rank so high.

Top-tier American schools are pretty good in terms of faculty/quality of education, and much better in terms of facilities, but shit-tier when it comes to the student body.

t. went to imperial, and spent 4 months in university of michigan, ann arbor

Do you have big knockers?

MIT is a pajeet tier school. Only benefit is that you get to go to school in downtown Boston.

we call that "measure theory" in yurop

>you stopped taking math at trig

>Took multivariable calc in HS
t. Didnt go to a shitty school

>tfw stupid
>tfw went to state school
>tfw took "Math for the Humanities" aka math for people who can't do math
>tfw got a C in math for the humanities

please kill me

Attached: 1515373348166.jpg (1000x666, 52K)

tfeeliowhen 3rd attempt at calc 1
calc isnt even hard i just fuck up so many times and i have massive test anxiety. being a stressfull brainlet is suffering

No biggie, math isn't important anyways

Attached: a lot of rich people didn't finish school either.jpg (680x664, 54K)

Hah. I'm American and I passed the Calc AP test (giving me college credit) without taking the class. Looks like the extra effort put into euro education is just to counteract Europeans' stupidity.

>fuck up so many times and i have massive test anxiety.
Have you tried practicing?

Why not get the first rate professors?

>Because both had an opportunity that made it worth it to drop out and guess what faggot?
That's not Job's story at all. He dropped out because he felt like he was wasting his parents money.

>Jobs also began to feel guilty, he later said, about spending so much of his parents’ money on an education that did not seem worthwhile. “All of my working-class parents’ savings were being spent on my college tuition,” he recounted in a famous commencement address at Stanford. “I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out okay.”

>He didn’t actually want to leave Reed; he just wanted to quit paying tuition and taking classes that didn’t interest him. Remarkably , Reed tolerated that. “He had a very inquiring mind that was enormously attractive,” said the dean of students, Jack Dudman. “He refused to accept automatically received truths, and he wanted to examine everything himself.” Dudman allowed Jobs to audit classes and stay with friends in the dorms even after he stopped paying tuition.

This was years before apple

What.math is that?

I don't know how to study math, and I hate Pearson internet math shit the textbook is shit.

>sister’s friend went to MIT on full ride scholarship just for happening to have a vagina
>gets high paying job in aerospace making more money than I could ever dream of
>have to listen to how mysogynist the STEM sector is every time she comes to our house
>she quits and gets a job at some SJW non-profit
I can’t help but think about how many boys with actual passion for engineering got turned down for scholarships so she could attend and waste it

It used art to explain various mathematical principles. It covered a lot of basic geometry, and stuff like Fibonacci sequences and such