Multiple GPU Fuckery

Ok, so I have a 1070 ti and a 1050 ti installed in my machine. I only game on occasion and the rest of the time I let them run in the background to mine Bitcoin. After experimenting with the setup a little bit, I've noticed that the 1070 ti runs much cooler in the lower slot (GPU 2), but I want to be able to play games using GPU 2 when I switch off the bitcoin mining.

How would I go about doing this? I tried just having this configuration and running the HDMI from GPU 2, but I didn't get any output to my monitor. Any Sup Forumsentleman in here that would know the answer to this?

Attached: DSCN2864.jpg (2272x1704, 870K)

Other urls found in this thread:

egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/
youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Check if you can change the boot GPU in your BIOS settings.

If not, you probably have to switch slots.

Changing the GPU Windows uses after boot is not possible AFAIK. Unironically install Linux to do that.

I think I found the correct setting, but now I'm wondering if that will affect the speed at all for gaming? It doesn't seem to make a difference for mining but I know that mining doesn't require as much data transfer between the card and the PC and I'm not sure the PCI slot is up to the task. What do you think?

Attached: DSCN2868.jpg (2272x1704, 900K)

I think you should fucking test it and update your blog with results

The CPU does not have unlimited amounts of PCIe lanes. These lanes are provisioned at boot time. They might be divided equally. Or most of them will go towards the one in the first slot. It varies.

There are chaining-bootloaders for Windows that will set the number of lanes dedicated for a GPU, but these are for external GPUs where you have few lanes to work with in the first place.
Actually, it is possible with Windows 10 (it's built in on the latest Insider), but it's specifically for people who use discrete GPUs in their laptops.

But if you don't have enough PCIe lanes to give all of your PCIe devices then this is moot.

My personal recommendation is for you to switch the GPUs so that the 1070 is in the first slot, and then just remove the 6/8-pin power cables from the 1050 whenever you want to gayme.

Attached: Untitled.png (638x814, 42K)

PS. removing the power cables from your 1050 while Windows is running is technically possible as long as nothing is using the GPU. If the GPU loses power while something is running on it, you will get a BSOD. Otherwise it's all gravy, baby.

>mining bitcoin
>in 2018
>on a GPU
what the FUCK are you doing

I'm gonna give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he's using something like NiceHash

correct

1050/1050ti don't use any external power connectors

if you don't want to get real friendly with your screwdriver, you may just have to turn the GPU off using a chaining bootloader.
this is what I use for my eGPU setup. It might work for you. It might not. I recommend contacting the dev to make sure,
egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/
Costs money though, and I'm sure a poorfag like you would ache to lose a mere $15.

Just thought of an interesting idea.
If you go to the device manager and disable the device, that may be a good enough solution.
I would try to benchmark both GPUs with one disabled in the device manager, versus the one GPU by itself.

I don't think this will solve the inherent problem of not having enough PCIe lanes. I expect the one GPU by itself to perform better.

Attached: Untitled.png (974x712, 113K)

>using NiceHash
Enjoy being cucked again.

Attached: norminer.jpg (1914x745, 414K)

It's literally a non issue
youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M

You just change the output to the desired gpu in bios.

OP again here, when running the 1070ti as the primary card and mining, this happens to my screen. This wasn't happening when I was mining with both and the 1050 ti was the primary GPU.

Attached: Capture.png (1410x888, 1.06M)

I don't think you understand the original post.

dead vram
enjoy your fucked gpu

It's still well within the warranty period so I'm not worried.

mining is not covered under warranty. frankly they should just brick cards that mine outright via drivers.

fucking newfag

As if they can prove it was mining that caused it

i doubt the dead vram was caused by mining. frankly i've had so many nvidia cards with bad vram now that i'm pretty sure they just suck.

>mine Bitcoin
Also Sup Forums is not your tech support.

Attached: 1510568917344.jpg (635x542, 15K)