How is Blender still the only good open source art program?

How is Blender still the only good open source art program?

Why can't Gimp ever catch up to Photoshop?

Attached: 250x250_LogoBlender.png (250x250, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qJEWOTZnFeg
manuelbastioni.com/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am going to go ahead and say it was the open movie projects.

Blender started out proprietary, and then got lots of attention from industry because they could extend and improve it to do what they needed to do.
Krita was created by artists so they could do what they needed to do as well, so it doesn't suck.
GIMP was created for freetards by freetards so that they could edit Crystal SVG tux penguin icons and say "SEE? LINOOX DOES GRAPHICS TOO!!1!".

Krita is becoming pretty good.

>Blender started out proprietary
It was fucking garbage, back then, though.

GIMP is an image manipulator, not an image creator. Photoshop is both.This is why you can't even draw a fucking square in GIMP, but you can crop and add filters.

GIMP is basically a mobile phone app at this point. In fact, most of those photo editing apps have way more functionality than GIMP

It didn't start as a free program tho
And it was developed in the 90s thats why
If you add those things together and maintain it well make it GPL you get a mastapiece

Attached: ThreeDimensional_568.jpg (1350x1800, 233K)

Mobile phone apps are usually straightforward, but limited in features.

Gimp may also be limited in features, but it is certainly not straightforward!

I hope they'll add some better photo manipulation and editing tools. It's great for painting, not so much for editing and compositing. It wouldn't take much for me to no longer need photoshop though.

Because gimp + inkscape is literally everything photoshop is and more.

Blender is good but its retarded how everything is done through keyboard shortcuts.

> Open Source
Free Software is what matters.

>its retarded how everything is done through keyboard shortcuts

Unless you're a power user and want to be efficient

That's literally what makes it so fast and efficient though.

They're still going to pander to Mayakids like you in 2.8 though.

Autodesk bought and killed pretty much all the promising 3D software to make the 3Dmax the only choice, so the film/game industry etc secretly invest into blender to make it an viable alternative for the future.

i loved the interview with the blender creator

Uhh, sweety? Houdini is far better than anything Autodesk for procedural modeling and particles. ZBrush is far better than anything Autodesk for sculpting. Substance is far better than anything Autodesk for texturing.

(SA) gimp is not an art program (GE)

can't be further from the truth.
GIMP is 10x times more powerful than any mobile app.
It's no rival to PS but still is a very capable software for image editing and image creation. In some ways it's still more preferable to use for a digital painting than Krita.

>In some ways it's still more preferable to use for a digital painting than Krita
*breathes in*

Gimp is gimped.

Video editing is so fucking well done and complex in Blender. Shame its UI is so fucking confusing at the same time too.

i disagree. i made this in gimp and i improved this girl's vagina

Attached: 1520810094525.jpg (1365x2048, 1.03M)

hahahahahahaha autoshill gtfo

This is correct 100%

I've used GIMP for years but I have to be honest and say that it's shit. 10/10 for making memes but anything else is just a huge hassle when you could just use PS. There's no complaints with Krita, just an all around good program.

Blender is great for all around use in 3D. It's got so many options and everything is available on top of a super helpful and supportive community. Honestly after the first month Blender's UI really grew on me, it's not made for beginners but that's what tutorials are for.
Blender isn't as great at sculpting as ZBrush but it does everything that other 3D programs do extremely well. Blender Eevee is going to make Autodesk go on suicide watch

Attached: fe637ee7d636fcde0837548058a776984c6ba993_00.jpg (479x476, 22K)

If you want a button that badly, just make a damn button.

>Honestly after the first month Blender's UI really grew on me, it's not made for beginners but that's what tutorials are for.
Absolutely, user. I was used with doing things with Kdenlive and moving to Blender really made me rethink my software knowledge

>Because gimp + inkscape is literally everything photoshop is and more.
>Freetards actually believe this

Attached: 1508288105078.jpg (1500x788, 123K)

Inkscape is an order of magnitude nicer than GIMP.

Blender is awesome. Blazing fast compared to 3dsmax.

Autodesk are mouthbreathers, fuck off.

Blender RULES!

Once you get used to this guy's gravel voice, you can appreciate how based he is and how in touch he is with Blender's development and the goings on of the 3D modeling industry.

>having to use two programs to do what one does
>still cant do it as well

also illustrator vs inkscape is even more laughable than photoshop vs gipt

Blender Good? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right camera = Left camera
Left camera =Right camera

And then when you ask at the forum they will give you a ridiculously excuse that left and right is relative.

Any serious 3d program when you select right camera, you will see the right side of the 3d model you are making.

If you do a sketch on paper. You will name front as the front of the character, left as the left side of the character. And then when you select to put them on the background, you obviously are going top put the left background on the left camera.

But on blender no, it is the complete bizarro gayness that no other 3d program adopted.

>Why can't Gimp ever catch up to Photoshop?
Because vector editing wasn't a primary priority. There were talks of merging it with inkscape, but nothing ever happened I think.

Krita is more the thing that has the ambition to do an actual photoshop replacement.

Darktable or rawtherapee.

What about blender vs after effects for regular video editting?

What about it? They're not the same.

Blender can do basically just about everything, but it's not designed for users that use Adobe-tier subscription software because it's easier to find a button or menu entry to do x or y.

Just wondering if I can drop several softwares and replace it with one; blender.

That is something you should experimentally try.

You can.
The learning curve is STEEEEEP though. At one point back in probably 2013-14 I was pretty good at blender, and it took years to get to that point. It has even more functionality now than it did then.

You can, but you need to be prepared to invest time learning.

He's an SJW.

t. pulled every word out of his ass

proof?

*breathes out*

Gimp is made by shitty devs who don't want it to be good.

He retweeted Guillermo del Toro's oscar speech.

Shut up blender shortcut are awesome
Now when I go on Illustrator or other software I miss blender shortcuts so much

Attached: 1517842581386.jpg (605x562, 55K)

>alt a to pause timeline instead of just [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[space]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

>If you do a sketch on paper. You will name front as the front of the character, left as the left side of the character. And then when you select to put them on the background, you obviously are going top put the left background on the left camera.
Actually on technical drawings it's the opposite.
>no other 3d program adopted
Have you done any CAD? Like SolidWorks?

Attached: DS technique.jpg (1600x881, 173K)

Oh, I just learned that Americans do it the other way
Anyway I'd say the European standard is better since we're usually better as making standards (see: metric vs imperial, ISO vs ANSI keyboards layout, ISO 216 vs US letter...)

Attached: Screenshot_20180312-024503.png (672x365, 78K)

Guy's like 50. It's forgivable if he doesn't understand the current political climate.

Inkscape is trash.

>Why can't Gimp ever catch up to Photoshop?
Because Krita already did that.

Attached: photo_2016-08-06_18-24-37.jpg (1280x956, 123K)

Blender is good but it's retarded how the interface can't be followed through any two updates, and how the keyboard shortcuts change between updates too.

If you put any effort into learning a single version, you'll just be fucked when learning another one.

ie if you want to come back to doing shit after a few months to a year, your experience will literally work against you.

What the hell are you on about? The all the essential keyboard shortcuts never change, which is all you ever need to use.

Krita is less Photoshop than Gino is

Krita is a drawing program. Photoshop and GIMP are image manipulation programs.

What can I do in photoshop that I can't do in GIMP?

Attached: 1299167183798.jpg (1024x768, 80K)

It's actually scary how good Blender is despite being a public project. It's literally just as good as all the shit they charge $2000 a year for.

I wonder if there will be any good and free CAD akin to AutoCAD. Though I guess it's too big of an enterprise to make without a few hundred million dollars and a decade to develop.

non destructive workflow

draw a circle

this

>How is Blender still the only good open source art program?

"Never heard if InkScape": The Post

InkScape is trash honestly. And it make me sad because I love FOSS and Gimp.

>implying inkscape isn't superior to illustrator

Blender actually gets funding, GIMP doesn't.

Blender and Audacity are the only usable open source programs that are actually bredy gud and get the job done

probably shouldn't be trying to model anything in 3d if that is what's gonna throw you off

Hm, they are both trash, desu.
It's a shame Karbon got nowhere.

>autoshill
Don't think he's shilling, what he said is true.
Autodesk bought out all the competition, but the GPL license blender is under prevented them from doing the same to it.
>There's no complaints with Krita
the text tools are shit and the performance isn't great.

You can easily make a square I'm GIMP, though; rectangle select with fixed 1:1 ratio, then fill.

Attached: 1509943906359.jpg (768x720, 121K)

qq

Advanced compositing

Because it was cannibalized from a failed commercial project. Gimp, Desktop Linux, Libre office, etc. don't have someone overseeing the project and telling developers what to work on.

draw a circle

That's not exactly "making" a square though, that's literally a workaround.
Say it with me, "GIMP is limited".

Attached: you can't even draw a fucking square in gimp.png (663x442, 55K)

Attached: draw a circle.jpg (649x522, 178K)

>how to draw a square in gimp?
>make a rectangular selection
>feather
>fill

>how to make a square in photoshop?
>use the fucking rectangle tool kek

b-based freetard!!
Kek, gimp is a piece of shit.

Sup Forums ====>>>>>>>>>

Attached: not exactly making a square.jpg (2000x2000, 2.32M)

>he spent 25 minutes to prove an user wrong
Why are freetards so fucking autistic and dumb?

now draw another congruent circle next to the red one

>Blender
>Good
The fuck mate

[SCREECHES]

>GIMP was created for freetards by freetards so that they could edit Crystal SVG tux penguin icons and say "SEE? LINOOX DOES GRAPHICS TOO!!1!".
Truer words were never spoken.
Lay off the larp and see the truth, even debian's logo was made in PS.

since it's a blender thread i want to ask
is there a Make Human like plugin for blender that allows creation of human models directly in blender without importing anything ?
i had plugin like this but my HDD crashed and i lost everything and don;t remember it;s name
thanks

No it's not. You don't remember every shortcut all the time. The menus need some serious rejigging.

ManuelbastioniLAB should be the plugin you are looking for
manuelbastioni.com/index.php