Ubuntu 16.04 is a piece of shit. reccomend something new

Ubuntu 16.04 is a piece of shit. reccomend something new

Attached: Proprietary.jpg (480x451, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pointieststick.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you recommend any distro, and people start having autistic fits and ruin the thread. Honestly, its futile asking for distro rec's on Sup Forums. However I would say to install fedora

gentoo, obviously

Solus Linux, hands-down.

Just install whatever you like the look of, anything in the top 10 of distrowatch. Ultimately they're all shit as a desktop OS but I'm sure you know that already

This. Although, I would lean toward rolling release distributions for desktop use.

FreeBSD is the least bad unix-like system and it's pretty awful

For desktop use? Solus (Budgie), Manjaro (KDE), or Antergos (KDE). Try all three and decide for yourself.

For desktop use, DragonflyBSD > TrueOS > FreeBSD.

Windows 10 unironically. Once you ignore the botnet stuff it's actually very good.

>windows 10
ehh. i would use windows 10 if 1. windows 10 wasnt a fat ass hogging my precious 4gb or ram 2. no

For each installation of Gentoo a Micro$hit Pajeet dies...

Try developing software in it. Its a fucking turd that won't come out of the asshole.

Ubuntu 18.04

>Solus
came here to post that. I'm getting ready to install it on my laptop myself.

>Recommending something you aren't already using
are you 12?

>Ubuntu 16.04 is a piece of shit.
why?
Anyway, the new LTS version will be out in a month or so. I'll finally switch to Lubuntu with LXQt.

Lol Ubuntu

Brainlet but not total shot: Debian
You actually know a thing or two about Linux: fedora
Any skill level higher: you shouldn't need to ask this question

Shit not shot. My phoneposting has been exposed

I'll be a wizard next week.
I messed around with it on virtual machines but never took the plunge to use it on one of my actual machines because the lack of KDE stuff. They're getting close to offering a plasma edition so it should have what I want, otherwise I'm just sick of Manjaro. Graphical bugs make it take several minutes to boot into a usable state.

Also I could have been using it on some other computer, although you are correct since my desktop machine runs Arch. I don't feel like waiting for the plasma Edition any longer so I'm going to install them at a Edition and rice it to look like Windows 95 because I'm a weirdo who loves V A P O R W A V E.

Anyway, there's a lot of interest in Solus for good reason. They're trying to make package management normie friendly, it's reasonably stable despite being rolling release and has some other forward-looking ideas like Steam integration for gaymers. It's on the top five or distrowatch for a reason it certainly recommended it over Mint

1. Sometimes when you click in a window it actually clicks through the fucking window on what's behind it

2. When playing a Wine game sometimes the window loses focus making you unable to actually use the lower part of the quarter of the screen - you have to alt tab back out and back in

3. You try to open a .deb and it doesn't fucking work because their software installer is a piece of shit and doesn't tell you what's wrong. gdebi works fine

4. Most software that comes with it is crap, like Totem

Thanks for the genuine reply to my shitpost. Mint is chugging along for me but it's only ever fine at best. I'll keep an eye on solus development for when I decide to switch

Their top 10 should be a mix of page rankings and bases for other distros (i.e.: Ubuntu > Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu, etc). Nobody gives a shit about PCLinuxOS, SUSE or some shitty Mandrake fork. It should be this:
>Linux Mint
>Ubuntu
>Debian
>Manjaro
>Fedora
>CentOS
>Arch
>Slackware
>Gentoo (or Elementary for the normies)
>obligatory FreeBSD at the end

guys we should make our own OS
let's call it anonix

I'm sure software availability is much more than when I used it six months ago in a VM. it has support for either Snap or Flatpack built-in with the other available as a package in the repos. The software available to it is now a lot bigger than what they package themselves. they don't offer an ISO for it but they do have i3 which they slightly pre rice for you. (All I remember is network manager was already present in the status bar.)

I would not advocate using Mint even for a beginner or non technical person. The developers are incompetent and managed to get their website hacked to distribute backdoord isos. there's a bunch of other reasons there shit at what they do I'd rather not go into in this thread. The Manjaro developers are pretty bad too. he wants to light a security certificate for their forms expire and ask their users to set their clocks back to post on it.

Solus has yet to have a major fuck up and their lead developer is hardly a street shiter. After getting enough money through Patreon, he quit his job as an engineer for Intel to work on the distro full-time.

As someone who regularly boots into Windows to play games, I think you're full of shit. You have no right to say otherwise until Winshit idles at less than 2 gigs of RAM and has a proper package manager, or not in app store, for easy updates.

Why use solus when Ubuntu budgie exists?

What's are the selling points of solus?

Attached: ThreeDimensional_274.jpg (540x960, 54K)

Rolling release. Various CPU optimizations carried over from Clear Linux. Non-corporate.

Use Arch, you edgy autistic 14 year old.

Kevin pls go.

Windows 10

wait for 18.04

Who's this cute girl

Fedora with any DE of your choice. I use XFCE, but KDE and Enlightenment are also pretty good. I haven't had any issues with Fedora itself. It's plenty stable with up to date packages, and my hardware works out of the box, wireless cards and all. XFCE might not be the most visually appealing UI and I only spent like 30 minutes on themes, but it works great.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-11_21-45-07.png (1366x768, 256K)

Windows 10.

Instaaaaaall Gentooooooo.

>Bionic Beaver

Attached: Sex-robot-Samantha-Sergi-Santos-1022794.jpg (590x442, 35K)

Devuan

I think you shall use Debian Sid + experimental

>Anyway, the new LTS version will be out in a month or so. I'll finally switch to Lubuntu with LXQt.
Why would you switch when it's out?

Fedora gnome is a solid, but the kde spin is dogshit. I'm currently typing this from a broken fedora install. For kde try arch. If that's not your thing, Kubuntu is actually pretty decent and the devs behind it seem decent. Eg- pointieststick.wordpress.com/

Ubuntu 18.04 :^}
Only a month away.

wait till the end of april when ubuntu 18 lts comes out.

If you don't want to waste your time fixing everything like in Arch, Manjaro is the way to go. Looks good, almost everything just works, and is pretty stable for having well updated packages. It's Arch but easy to use and packages are not as broken.

Unless you want to fix all your shit, when an update breaks it again

go away kevin

Not the guy you responded to, but you're thinking of Arch. My Manjaro system has been running for ~4 years now with no issues.

Mine ran for one week before it started having problems.

>mfw I actually want my Arch installation to break

I am convinced it breaking via updates is a complete and utter meme. Maybe this was true a few years ago.

What problems?

My arch install never broke for 6 months, but applications did. VLC was unusable for a while, I couldn't run anything fullscreen for a while, kdenlive was 3 times as buggy as it already is, and a few other things.
But honestly the most important reason is I shouldn't be tweaking a lot of things just to have something new working.

I installed Manjaro on my ThinkPad and fucking hated it.

>Closing the laptop lid caused some retarded screen issue, managed to fix it
>Installed the most recent (((proprietary))) GPU driver, somehow installing catalyst fucked Whisker menu, and it lost my config
>Graphics performance somehow managed to be worse
>Uninstall and reinstall free drivers
>Things seemed ok
>Few days later random crash while Pacman -Syu
>Have to hard reset as nothing is doing anything
>Whoops looks like it somehow managed to corrupt lightDM and I have a cli only system now
>Use LiveUSB to recover light DM, recovery and repair seems to go well reboot
>Whoops looks like grub is now fucked and how have no OS on your system

And that's when I reinstalled Xubuntu.

Fuck Manjaro. If you're going to make a "just wurks" distro, make it actually work.

If you want kde, install OpenSUSE (with packmann repos). otherwise, you should try debian/devuan, gentoo/CloverOS or arch.

pls, dont recommend manjaro. it's garbage.

Fair enough, I've seen lots of people with laptops have issues with drivers and specially graphics issues on Manjaro. When did that happen anyway? Could've been a while ago when it wasn't mature yet maybe.
But that's really common on laptops anyway. It's normal for linux distros to not work well with laptops' components and it's mostly just luck.

fedora is the most sane, respectable choice

Was like two months ago senpai. It was a shame to, because I really liked the feel of it. I loved the pop up terminal you got when pressing ctrl-alt T.

You don't develop anything, you fag.

Fedora smells like shit.

I can't even install Kodi on Ubuntu 16.04

I'm going to install Linux Mint Cinnamon on a vm. I don't know shit about linux what should I do to convince me to switch permanently?

Hopefully no autistic fits break out but I would say Fedora or Antergos (easy Arch that holds your hand), which is the distro I use now. It's incredibly stable and the AUR is something I don't know if I can live without.

For me, using Windows was enough

Enough to convince me to switch, that is

Does your pc freeze when trying to burn a cd or dvd? is it a ubuntu problem or does that happen on Debian/Devuan too?

Nothing. Why should we bother convincing you to switch to Linux when there is nothing in it for anyone. If you don't know why you want to switch, then don't.

What's a CD?

Ubuntu 17.10

It's just like Ubuntu 16.04 but takes 10 seconds to register user input.

You should have it on separate disks or even devices, for more safety of your main system and files, because if you new, you can fuck up something while installing, after some time of using you can decide if you want to switch or not.

ah it's this pasta again

Attached: 1511071944776.jpg (540x393, 17K)

What's wrong with 16.04?

Maybe wait till April and install Ubuntu 18?

Attached: 1513039088229.jpg (1042x1042, 138K)