en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_music
youtube.com/watch?v=AX61ixBocU4
youtube.com/watch?v=o7vQ7YYB1K8
youtube.com/watch?v=hy3W-3HPMWg
youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5jXsJF4PM
youtube.com/watch?v=9Az4uWcQEzA
youtube.com/watch?v=Lfd3uZDcJ3g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sure, just delete this one and start with a different album.

You really hate Tame Impala that much don't you?

"Pysch-pop was a mistake"

-Ringo Starr

cringe: the band.

After twenty one pilots and death grips, tame impala might be one of the cringiest bands out there.
All their albums are shit, people that say "dude, lonerism was gooohd!! currentz waz the omly bad album" are generally retarded.

Chill out man, lonerism was a perfectly decent psych pop album. I feel like Sup Forums has this discussion all the time. I like 60s and 70s psych as much as the next guy but im not gonna swear off modern psych completely because of some arbitrary measure like "cringiness"

By all means, share some psych you think is good man.

Personally I think King Gizzard is one of the better psych bands out right now.

There's like some self-loathing based on childhood taste in music going on here.

No, Innerspeaker is a 7/10 I'd have no problem discussing.

But
You must not have been on Sup Forums very long.

More people need to check out the early Yawning Man demos:

youtube.com/watch?v=JKDd0v5qMQY

Who the fuck gives a fucking shit if their music is similar to 60s psych

House producers have been making the same style since the mid 90s and it still bangs, good genres don't have an expiration date

"Ringo Starr was a mistake"

-Psych-pop fans

Actually, /psy/ frequently has an issue with getting out of pop regurgitation quite often. They react to a lot of stuff that isn't in the vein of distorted 60s blues rock pretty badly, and frequently call anything outside that 'not psychedelic'.

This whole Innerspeaker thing seems like a closet resistance to that whole mentality.

Kevin sings like a pussy with no personality.
The whole thing around tame impala screams tumblr and they sound so damn forced.

They are not the big shit that people tend to think they are, it doesn´t sound like the future of music.
They are just a really gimmicky boring regression, just like Oasis in the 90´s.
Their albums focus so much on the aesthetic of something old being mixed with something new turning their whole albums into a soulless chore.

>the aesthetic of something old being mixed with something new
That's what's so good though, why do you think that makes it a chore?

And come on, the guy is great at laying down bass lines.

Jesus stop getting so worked up in the a e s t h e t i c

Songs like Alter Ego have great melodies

Also sure the production is similar to Hendrix/Cream/Magical Mystery Tour, but if it's a ripoff at least its a high quality ripoff

Sure friend
youtube.com/watch?v=tCu2RVCpges

Stoner/psychadelic rock seems to be coming back pretty fast since 2010, and it's coming back pretty damn good.

Speaking of stoner/psychedelic rock released since 2010, have you heard AOTY 2016 yet?

youtube.com/watch?v=RJyqMOJXSuk

I actually really like that distorted blues rock shit, like early spacemen 3 recordings were the bomb.

Youtube won't load but For All The Fucked Up Children is my jam.

I always felt like it went space rock -> psych rock -> stoner rock -> desert rock, getting further and further removed from the psychedelic theme on principle

Just did a big download, these are coming up on my playlist after I finish My Sleeping Karma's discography

There's nothing wrong with revivalism, but innovation is nice too.

Yawning Man is the most psychedelic of the desert rock bands though. Definitely belongs in this thread.

I forgot to add that I basically agree with you. I can appreciate psych music from all eras. And I mostly listen to shoegaze so I obviously don't care about rehashing old sounds with slightly different chords (heh), but still I need to change things up, usually to punk/garage or stoner stuff.

Should have stopped at stoner rock. I can't get into desert rock. I feel the same way about hardcore punk. It never should have evolved into grindcore in my opinion. I think if you take a genre too close to its 'logical conclusion' so to speak, it starts to sound a little wonky. Too much interference or something. Whatever I'm high and this probably makes no sense.

It's funny you mention shoegaze, because at least early on that was a good example of psychedelia doing something different.

The original desert rock bands weren't trying to be derivative on stoner rock though. If anything, it happened the other way around, depending on if you consider pre-Kyuss bands to actually be "stoner rock"

Yeah that's why I like it so much. It was something that could actually be considered an evolution of the psychedelic guitar sound. It was like the 60s again but with all the best parts of 80s post punk and 90s alt rock thrown in. Although you have to give Spacemen 3 and Loop some credit. The were putting out some cool daytripper psych rock that wasn't quite shoegaze.

My mistake m8. I guess I don't really know much about the history of desert rock and I'm talking out of my ass.

Yo this thread sucks
But I'm here to save it so don't fret

youtube.com/watch?v=18VNMrHXZxc

>My mistake m8. I guess I don't really know much about the history of desert rock and I'm talking out of my ass.
Yawning Man and Across the River were the original desert rock bands, and they started in the 80's. Kyuss was heavily influenced by both of them, covered their songs, and had some of their members join later on. Many (but not all) stoner rock fans consider Kyuss to be the original stoner rock band.

Outside of Animal Collective's earlier stuff/ODDSAC, what other artists do the "experimental" psychedelic thing? I just want approaches to psychedelic music that's outside the usual rock, pop, psytrance, etc. stuff.

I love me some Spacemen, and I always loved that they were unabashedly attempting to make real drug music; in this vein, they're one of the purest psychedelic bands to exist.

While they used to be pretty common in these threads, I've always held Animal Collective be an example of a third wave of psychedelic progress, completely fusing electronic into psychedelia. The synth has really always had a place in psych, but so many bands just ignore in favor of more riffs and distortion.

phosphorelephants.bandcamp.com/track/strange-loop

I used to jam out to this EP a lot last year. Just getting back into them, this has always been a favorite track of mine.

Black Dice were the forefront of psychedelic noise and made some really great shit, informed by the most unlikely combination of Can and Whitehouse.

The whole hypnagogic pop scene, when it gets beyond just 'lets do fuzzy pop' entrance, puts out some great shit, like Sun Araw and KWJAZ.

thanks user, really digging this

Everything's psychedelic if you look at it with a psychedelic mindset. For me, these are some albums that really connect with me in the psychosmos

Is there any good electronic-psych?

I love dirty blues rock but I haven't heard much on the digital side. Any recs?

this is such a fucking awful thread

Macadelic has some good psych vibes to it desu

Yeaeh, he's been getting progressively more trippy since then, I'd say

I agree, I find it very hard to recommend 'psychedelic' music because of this. Friends of mine listen to poppy hiphop and rock while tripping which I just don't understand.

Pretty cool shit

Here
youtube.com/watch?v=XHAAIMWoXn0

youtube.com/watch?v=3_onGF67ecs

Different stokes, you know? If you're gonna come at me with "that's not real psycedelic" I'm gonna tell you to quit being a dick. I've been tripping out to Katy Perry before and it was pretty psych. It's a headspace, not a sound.

Hello thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=jXwvC0iXres

youtube.com/watch?v=PwMkSvKoeUo

Does Sup Forums like Psychedelic Prog?

Obligatory necessary psych rock album.

I do

youtube.com/watch?v=h0ZYaHh5P1Q

youtube.com/watch?v=BrFPFR5MLlg

psychedelia is definitely a sound

I'm running out of ideas, you're all welcome for saving this thread
No it's not, shut the fuck up

psychedelic black metal is the way and the light

Just found this band and album tonight. Really enjoying it so far

Bjork- Post
Tool- Aenima
FKA TWIG- M3LL155X

Yes it is you fucking retard!!!
>A number of features are often included in psychedelic music. Exotic instrumentation, with a particular fondness for the sitar and tabla are common.[2] Songs often have more complex song structures, key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones than contemporary pop music.[3] Surreal, whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics are often used.[4][5] There is often a strong emphasis on extended instrumental solos or jams, typically featuring a heavily distorted electric guitar as the main instrument.[3] Electric guitars are plugged into large, powerful guitar amplifiers and speakers, which are turned up to a high volume and used with distortion to create feedback. Electric guitars are typically played through a wah wah pedal, usually with heavy fuzzbox or distortion effects.[6] There is a strong keyboard presence, in the 1960s this especially using electronic organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron, an early tape-driven 'sampler' keyboard.[7] Elaborate studio effects are often used, such as backwards tapes, panning the music from one side to another of the stereo track, using the "swooshing" sound of electronic phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb.[8] In the 1960s there was a use of primitive electronic instruments such as early synthesizers and the theremin.[9][10] Later forms of electronic psychedelia also employed repetitive computer-generated beats.[11]

>wikipedias a subculture and pretends to understand what it's about
>ishigdiggy

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_music
not a culture the actual music...

>psychedelic
>not a culture
>the actual music

I didn't say it wasn't a culture I'm saying the music itself has a very distinguishable and definite sound. saying anything even Katy perry is psych is incredibly ignorant

>trippy has to be a certain way
>psychedelic elements lay in sound
>wut is hypnosis/general use of psychology
>open your 3rd eye bro

would an acid trip be a good setting to try showing someone MPP for the first time?

I don't know if it would seem over whelming to someone who hasn't heard it, but I also have seem music click for people on acid that wouldnt have otherwise

Glad to come back to this thread a few beers in and seeing it went as /psy/ threads do.

To hopefully help resolve something:

"Psychedelia" does not have a sound. However, the history of modern psychedelic music typically has a strong basis in tradition, deriving from the late 60s psychedelia. As such, this is the archetype most have for psychedelia - vocal effects like reverb, guitar effects like distortion, and various additional tape effects and studio trickery, ostensibly to present the concept of a "psychedelic experience".

Given that a psychedelic experience is unique to an individual but shares certain aspects, it is not surprising that this became the norm for "psychedelic music". But this is really only the case of psychedelic rock and psychedelic pop, leaving open to interpretation other variants of psychedelic music.

The idea that all psychedelia sounds like Magical Mystery Tour is like thinking all psychedelic trips look like silly paisley patterns.

The closest consensus I've ever seen regarding that type of situation, is that you should listen to music that is familiar on acid.

Having them listen to it on acid for the first time might spoil it, because it will never be like they heard it first. The reason it might click with people after tripping when they didn't like it before probably has to do with giving you a new perspective at what it's doing.

There are some albums I've actually hated after hearing them on acid that I had liked before.

mah niggas

Okay thats fair.

What if I just played My Girls then?

you definitely made this thread and then leaned back and laced your fingers together waiting for the shitstorm

>The whole thing around tame impala screams tumblr and they sound so damn forced

STOP GETTING THE FANBASE QUALITY MIXED UP WITH ACTUAL MUSIC QUALITY. WHY THE FUCK IS IT SO HARD FOR Sup Forums TO DO THIS?

Not sure if it really counts but does anyone else listen to free folk stuff? Shit like Natural Snow Buildings. Quite a bit of it is psychedelic to some degree and psychedelic rock/pop is a large influence in general of the genre I think.

Just started listening to Vibracathedral Orchestra today and like it a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=AX61ixBocU4

Also been listening to the few albums Steven R. Smith has put out in the last couple years and some more American Primitive Guitar influenced stuff in the genre like Sir Richard Bishop.

youtube.com/watch?v=o7vQ7YYB1K8

shit band shit album

It depends on what that person likes. My Girls is the hit single, but it's not the best song or the most psychedelic.

Summertime Clothes to me is the most solid psychedelic pop track on that album.

>Natural Snow Buildings
These guys are fucking incredible

my acid friends are into a fair bit of synth pop and electronic never have gotten them into anco but they usually turn to me play them music while we trip.

One of my friends has told me he doesn't like stuff that gets too overly "trippy" while he's tripping because he says it annoying, I dont really get what he means guess that should be considered

Trips confirms

You can't post the best among the shit alums others are posting. You and I should get out of here.

huh, interesting. had a dream that looked like that, but with sonic the hedgehog and rings.

i missed a psych thread FUCK
plus the use of samplers.
IMo i think the progression of psychedelia has led into alot of electronic music now like james ferraro or even hip hop.

>Lumerians (still my number1 fav band)
>The Black Angels
>Moon Duo
>Psychic ills
>Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats
>Wooden Shjips
>Fuzz
>Radio Moscow (my number 2 fav)
Enjoy em

Have to agree with this guy You are either a good troll or a fucking idiot psychedelic is a sound

fucking idiot confirmed

why is psych always ruined by vocals

fucking stupid germans, why did they think talking into what sounds like a fucking megaphone with their horrible monotone voices would sound good

Can you just rec me something like that one?

how has no one posted this yet

I like Lumerinas, but for some reason I find them pretty unsettling while tripping.

youtube.com/watch?v=hy3W-3HPMWg

Anyone listened through this?
Really digging it
youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5jXsJF4PM

youtube.com/watch?v=9Az4uWcQEzA

Bonus points also because vocalist sounds like David Gilmour

their best senpai

youtube.com/watch?v=Lfd3uZDcJ3g