/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 1448361.jpg (1600x1131, 302K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WyF8RHM1OCg
youtube.com/watch?v=SspT-QN11Bw
youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1972
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde
north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/
audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=80_81
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19252
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=WyF8RHM1OCg

Attached: 08DEDE8E-315E-4255-B5B5-7023782D533D.jpg (2684x3948, 2.05M)

objectivist cucks btfo

Good dacs and amps tastefully color the sound.
Cheap amps should be a wire with gain at the lowest possible price.

>cardas

Attached: 1502407451966.png (769x967, 682K)

Good DACs and amps do not color the sound. Bad DACs and amps color the sound, which is not tasteful by definition.

>He paid several thousand dollars for a DAC that doesn't convert digital audio perfectly
>Now he has to defend it on /hpg/
I don't feel sorry for you.

Well I also have a $99 dac that doesn't.

...which is like $60-70 too much for a transparent DAC.

Attached: 2ED72ADE-1154-4F96-BD45-264ABE0E7311.jpg (2914x2456, 1.24M)

Does /hpg/ have big enough balls to post themselves wearing their favorite headphones?

floor user made this thread a much better place, good to see someone who appreciates audio instead of staring at autistic graphs.

Don't do this. Schrodinger's user dictates that if an user has not posted a picture, that user is both a cute 2D girl and whatever that user may really be. Posting your picture opens the box so to speak.

Agreed. Floornon seems genuinely enthusiastic about the music he's listening to and the high fidelity that it's being listened to at. Makes me happy :)

Hatsune Miku's feet are a treasure!

I keep researching and reading about headphones, I even bought one that was probably more money than I had any business spending.
Yet I am no happier.

Attached: Nishikino.Maki.full.1902430.jpg (600x876, 404K)

Life is brighter when you believe in magic rocks and snake oil cables.

Zeos reviewed the koss ESP950
youtube.com/watch?v=SspT-QN11Bw
has any of you tried them?

Higher end gear can bring you more satisfaction out of listening to music but I wouldn't call that happiness in itself. Happiness is something you gain through good balance in life, work effort vs amount earned for a decent living, amount of free time you can have to enjoy your hobbies, interactions with friends and family and so on. No amount of audio fidelity is going to make a depressed man happy.

don't forget the largest factor for happiness and that's workplace commute time. the happiest people work from home

But if you don't have any of those things I thought maybe an audio hobby would help. Keep buying shit, it's not working!
I think I just need better headphones, like a focal or something.
Is anyone else seeking happiness through fidelity?
I don't work because it makes me even less happy.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Idols, feet. Good OP.

Attached: 1498007973463.png (1870x1049, 2.52M)

This is kinda implied in the "amount of free time yo enjoy hobbies". Large commutes eat your own personal time. You're not really paid to spend 2h on a commute, at best in some jobs, and some countries, you are paid the cost of travel, but not real work time.
There's nothing wrong with spending in the hobby if you can afford it. But like I said, this is not a real source of happiness. This isn't where human needs lie. If you are seeking happiness look at where your life went wrong in the first place and do something to fix it.

Men have a desire to build. Stop buying, start DIYing.

Maybe go to a live idol performance.
It's supposed to be much better than silly recordings, enjoyment wise.

Attached: 1501549162586.jpg (1150x1500, 651K)

Nice best headphones in the world, IT.

I'm not enough of an attention whore to post myself, when my headphones are all anyone MIGHT give a shit about. Everyone here has seen my yoga mat, and that's close enough for me.

This. diy can be very therapeutic and give you a real sense of accomplishment to be proud of.

Pretty lewd

>Posts Zreviews video that's unlisted
Does this mean that you actually pay into his patreon? Or did you get this from somewhere else?

he forgot to make it patreon only

>175CM
She's a big girl.

Sir Richard Bishop

Why don’t you give him a listen user?

Attached: F61E6370-D51D-4157-904E-39B181039F32.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

She's about right height wise.
A matter of taste I guess.

Attached: 1489479266662.png (1920x1080, 2.06M)

Is The Element any good?

Attached: element.png (874x705, 479K)

It's great

I'm buying a USB filter. Do you guys think the -90db noise floor of the modi on bad usb will be audible in comparison to the -130db of a 'good dac'?
I honestly bought it over something like a topping or oldac because it matched.

Attached: schiity.png (534x534, 37K)

I purchased a pair of B&O H6 gen 2s, will I regret it for use on planes/airports?

I may also plug it into my amp at home for use at night so as to not disturb others things such as explosions happen in things I'm watching or playing.

Have you considered the Eitr or Wyrd, sir?

Attached: 1520567012639.png (331x460, 163K)

it's not just about cutting into personal time. even people with 5 minute commutes vs 15 minute commutes are significantly happier.

I found one used for $25 from ifi, sorry Jason.

youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ?t=1972
Follow this at the 32th min. You will understand whether something is audible at -90dB or not very quickly.

For me its the SHP9500S

Attached: 26-138-190-09.jpg (1280x960, 127K)

Thanks, ordered it

Did you lose your marbles?
If you _have_ to get the modi, at least get the version with AC power and SPDIF inputs. Then you won't need a silly USB filter.
I can't recommend buying the modi though.

what did you engrave?

I see a lot of fuckers here bitching about tube amps being bought. women like to talk and bond, men like to build and conquer.

you motherfucker. I don't want to sit around discussing how a tube amp is higher in distortion and inferior to SS. I don't care if it sounds objectively better or worse. I want to learn. I want to get my hands dirty and build something beautiful that I can look at every day and think "I built that with the sweat from my own brow".

Attached: 1517069062553.jpg (346x346, 29K)

Build an O2 then.

Lol no.

I have no interest in building an amp smaller than the size of my penis

No, uber is back ordered.
Doesnt this prove that the modi is fine at -90db which is where its noise floor is?
I also have a good powered usb port on my mobo I'll be using for now.

Good ol John Fahey

Attached: 0A5D2B06-4068-4AEF-A06B-587095D5A28A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.64M)

Then get a Fulla 2 or something.
Definitely better than a plain Modi 2. That's just a usb dac in a huge box.

I bought it because it matches the magni 3. Anything is better than having to use an eq to fix my dac x6. However if there is no audible improvement at all over the eq fixed dac x6 I'm going to send the schiit products back and use the money on some etymotics I think.

>Doesnt this prove that the modi is fine at -90db which is where its noise floor is?
This does but I linked the video for you to see for yourself if your ears can bypass sound masking while playing music. Keep in mind the noise shown in that video is worst possible noise and more noticeable than the typical -90dB noise.
Like another user said though, you're paying more than what a dumb DAC box with poor (but inaudible) measurements is worth.

Modi 2 money buys OL-DAC or Topping D30, both of which measure way better than Modi 2.

Are there any affordable (sub 50USD)
earbuds that don't pick up cable noise?

I fell for the Advanced M4 earbuds meme and despite receiving a lot of compliments on the braided cable, that was ironically the worst thing about it.
I need something that won't produce noise when the cable rubs up against something.
Preferably with something that can use silicon ear tips.

Attached: death nihonga.jpg (1180x1920, 759K)

I'm aware but my desk looks crappy enough so I decided since it's in audible i'll get the one that matches. I also have a good usb port on my motherboard that's powered.
I have a suspicion that it's going to sound completely identical to the eq fixed dac x6 and if that's the case I'm returning both anyway.
I'm paying because of the looks, I got that. The video is really helpful though I know for certain I will not be able to hear the jitter on the modi.

Fulla 2 is terrible

It's less terrible than Modi 2 non-uber
Same DAC, also usb powered, but has more functionality and a nice huge knob.

I have modi multibit. Use both usb / toslink input. kinda like it.

>-90dB noise floor
I doubt that would ever be an issue on its own. That figure is in reference to full scale output, but the voltage output is what determines the noise you hear. -90dB of 2Vrms is roughly 60 µV.
If you plug in very sensitive armature IEMs and configure the gain structure poorly (stupidly), maybe.

In-ears or buds that don't try to close off the ear?

No, both of them are actually terrible.

Attached: 050DDA6E-769A-4F70-938D-1DF7DFA6EF6D.jpg (1839x1736, 714K)

In ears.
I guess in ear monitors was the phrase I was looking for.

>multibit
How's it? I don't think we have any other multibit owners around.
At least you got the cheapest schiit multibit (and supposedly the better one).

dont know how to describe XD. I may say sound colorful (?)
never expierence noise issue.

>XD
Fuck off

XD XD XD

wait for it

:^)

Attached: stevencirno.jpg (600x750, 299K)

>Own Marshall Monitors
>I love them and think they sound great for their price point
>They don't make ear pads for them and mine are deteriorating

Attached: tumblr_olrmy4djBG1tydz8to1_500.gif (500x281, 1.76M)

>>I love them and think they sound great for their price point
They don't.
>>They don't make ear pads for them and mine are deteriorating
This is why you buy from actually reputable headphone manufacturers. Good manufacturers sell all parts. All of them. Not just teh earpads.
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde
north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/1000/
audiotechnicashop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=80_81

Don’t listen to this prick. You might just buy a replacement since you love em so much?

>You might just buy a replacement
Replacing the entire headphone every couple years sounds like a very smart thing.

I buy new adidas samba every few years.

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19252

Attached: B8BA23E1-1818-421D-85C6-BF68883AF4C7.jpg (2715x3340, 1.62M)

>Maybe go to a live idol performance.
I've been to live seiyuu (Asami Imai) and j-pop concerts last year, and experience was perfect.

You sure they don't make ear pads for them? I mean China likes to copy everything have you checked aliexpress or ebay?
Could also just look for ear pads that would fit them.

Yes, no, maybe so?

For me its the cat and headphones duo

Attached: IMG_20180305_221913352.jpg (2080x1170, 1.35M)

*destroys your cable*

Attached: download (2).jpg (223x226, 4K)

Look some of the best headphones on the third planet from the sun and a Sennheiser.

So I've got a pretty decent pair of headphones, and I noticed that when I turn my volume up and down from the Windows icon tray, I get a variety of different frequencies that sound similar to a dial-up internet connection. There are some flat sounding volumes.. and some times going up a bar and bringing it back down to the same bar will fix the frequency issue, but what the hell is going on? How can I prevent this?

Thinking of getting the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD, will this be ok for low impedance headphones like Sennheiser hd 579's?

What headphones? One day you'll realise you invested your money and were glad you did instead of spending it on drink and drugs.

yes!

Sweet! Thanks man.

Attached: spurdo281.jpg (900x556, 67K)

Just keep things off floor, like a reasonable adult.

Wires can be bitches, even when you take measures to move them out the way.

>I've been to live seiyuu (Asami Imai) and j-pop concerts last year, and experience was perfect.
Mingosu... I'm envious, user!
I was just listening to chihaya's Jupiter as I read you.

Attached: 1520682477768.png (1280x720, 1.56M)

Apparently my Asus ultrabook has trouble driving my old Sennheiser PC 360 (see pic), so I need new cans.

Do I need the lowest possible impedance in order to be sure my ultrabook can drive the new headphones?

Any recs?
Over-ear, open, no amp, general YT viewing.

Attached: 67daa805-f044-4712-9859-67b481d859c0.jpg._CB526445270_.jpg (1000x1000, 72K)

Unironically HD600.

But the HD600 has an impedance of 300 ohms.

Aren't I supposed to look for the lowest ohms rating possible so my little ultrabook can drive them?

Someone help me decide what to upgrade to, I've currently have a pair of K701's which I've had for years and years that are gradually starting to show their age and are broken in places.

I was planning to upgrade to the HD650's, but the K712 Pro are only ~£200 on amazon right now which is making it difficult to convince me that the HD650's are worth the extra £100 on top.

Pic related is the suggestions canpicker gives me.

Attached: cans.jpg (1233x235, 78K)

What if you can't afford furniture because you spent it all on $500 headphone cables?

No-one going to help me?

Attached: 1512621323102.png (500x460, 158K)

>expecting help
>not posting anime girl feet

Well here's my waifu's feet, is that good enough?

Attached: 0f09606574701f8f1acadcea7c54cc18.jpg (500x700, 63K)