How badly did I fuck up by buying this?

It's an Asus ROG STRIX GL503VM.

Amidst all the gaming shit and lightweight overpriced soy crap this is the best one i could find.

Specs:
Screen: 15.6", 1080p IPS, 144 Hz, G-Sync
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6 GB DDR5
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Storage: PCIEG3x4 NVME 512G M.2 SSD

Again, it's the most bearable laptop I could find (and there are no thinkpads sold in my country). How badly did I fuck up?

PS: My old laptop from 2008 died (fan ran at max speed, screen didn't want to turn on, the motherboard shit the bed) and I ended up tossing it into a fire. That's why I'm even buying a new one. Otherwise I'd've just kept my old one.

Attached: laptop.jpg (960x960, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S16KG4483
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You where better off buying a desktop or even a console. Laptops are bad and expensive. Poor user

Dell latitude? Toshiba? Just buy used

>You where better off buying a desktop
I already have a pretty good desktop (SLI 1080, non-Ti). I just need something for traveling or testing VR things outside.

>VR
>outside
why

I'm a VR dev. It might be useful for showcasing things in the future.

Then you probably know better than Sup Forums what you need

This. BUILD A DESKTOP BOII

i am thinking of buying
Lenovo y520
same specs but cheaper

I have thinkpad t420 8gb whit gnu/linux installed, but it is not bought for android studio. I not even play games and buying a new computer seems a waste

Attached: ideapad-y520-gallery01.jpg (1060x596, 100K)

I guess that's true. i'm just insecure.

Just looked that one up over here. I can't find one with the same specs as the Asus one, but it looks alright.

but whit 1060 6gb graphics card

Attached: Selection_005.png (218x923, 53K)

Yeah mate we don't have a proper lenovo store here, and neither can we buy customization laptops like that.

Shit sucks here

Lenovo a shit. Shitty build, faulty hardware, shitty displays. Some laptops have such bad cooling they literally melt. Some require drilling additional holes to fix the cooling.

I mean, you think it's same specs but cheaper, but in fact the most expensive part (display) isn't even specified.

Ive got a an asus model with a 1070 and 6700k, it works great for mobile VR / demoing at cons etc. Only thing I ended up doing was making my own fan and voltage curves, also ended up underclocking the CPU core voltage as that shit was running pointlessly hot and is still stable with no actual hit to the performance.

TLDR: Do some minor tweaking and it's a perfectly suitable laptop for mobile VR.

Thanks, I'll look into doing that.
How'd you set your own fan curve? Is that a setting in the BIOS options now or did you use something else?

Are desktop GPU prices still retarded thanks to crypto miners?

yes, if you brought a desktop from year ago whit gtx 1070 now it would cost the same or a bit more

alot

You're doing great man, we all love you here

For how much can I sell a 1080 now?

Thanks man.

Can anyone point me to the cheapest crap that can deal with pic related.
My 5 y old acer e1-531g is almost ded.

Attached: 111.png (167x204, 24K)

look for something with a 1050 or 1050Ti.

In my shitty country they're selling overpriced 2-3 y old lap tops for 1000-1500$.
I just want to off myself....

what country lad

based
It's okay but expect QC issues since it's an asus gaming laptop

>start witcher 3 on my brand new asus ROG
>just got to the intro splashscreens
>WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, why did I fall for this meme, the warranty is void and I can't even fucking refund this shit

Bulgaria. All they sell here can be found anywhere else for less.
Its a bit complicated but not worth at all.
Im thinking of buying a lap top from amazon.de and telling my brother to ship it to me.....idk

Attached: tiresome.jpg (800x450, 42K)

Specs whore

>he forgot gpu prices are still shit
youre better off with a console or gayming laptop than a desktop

Bought the dell counterpart in december for essentially $650 ($800 for the i5 with the 1060 with a $150 rebate that eventually came in) and it runs everything I throw at it pretty well, so you probably did well considering

Attached: d1.jpg (1097x775, 59K)

This is cheaper and comes with a 1070:
microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Is this 2nd hand ? Its too good to be true.

Funny how most of Sup Forums are still stuck in the past thinking that gaming laptops cost twice as much with half the performance.

>not a thinkpad
you fucked up now back to Sup Forums

I will agree however Sup Forums is correct about the QC on these things which isnt the greatest. My friend bought the same one and had to send it back twice due to screen flickering. I wouldve been pissed as shit if I spent $1000 on it (original msrp) and it started doing stuff like that

>No thinkpads in my country
read the post faggot

>and there are no thinkpads sold in my country
Where do you live, I don't believe you

ThinkPolice banned them ?

Good for you, OP.
Personally, I find the 15" laptops a bit too big, but to each their own.

Gayming Laptop - enjoy your pressed flat, cooked thighs.

>Amidst all the gaming shit and lightweight overpriced soy crap this is the best one i could find
you mean it was the best one you could afford

VR Dev, ah that's code for unemployed with ambition to become employed by taking your nob out and playing with it

>best one i could find
>1080p

Do you need a dedicated GPU?
Do you need something that isn't a desktop?
Are you fine carrying a heavy laptop?
Are you fine with a laptop with loud fans?
Are you ok with faggy RGB lights?

If you answered yes to all of these, then you made a pretty good choice.

No. It's just a better deal.

There's a barebones version as well:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S16KG4483

Just add storage and memory.