Install gentoo

>install gentoo
>literally takes 2 days to emerge a web browser
wtf is this garbage?

Attached: 1476547522264.jpg (588x575, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/mozconfig-v6.58.eclass#n163
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what did you honestly expect?

I didn't expect it to be such a timesink

Remember to compile grub with -march=native -funroll-all-loops -O3 for maximum performance

Firefox takes 15 min to emerge though?

Were you using an ancient laptop or something? My Pentium G4560 emerges Firefox in ~25 minutes. Also, you can get binaries for the very toughest packages.

I have an AMD E1-2100 APU laptop, I swear I'm trashing this shit and going back to Arch. Firefox is taking ages as well

Rebuilding every single package takes less than half a day on my machine.

you could probably get some more performance out of your machine if you tweak your compile flags.
i'm really not sure why anyone would feel the need to compile everything themselves though. you'd be better off just saving yourself the time and switching to a distribution with a binary package manager. if you need to compile a single thing then fair enough, but gentoo is a bit overkill

libreoffice and chromium/firefox are the two items I just get the binaries for.

not if you use firefox. idk about chrome.. it could be but who uses that botnet.

Are you using a singlecore atom CPU?

>-funroll-all-loops
xdddd
FUN!

:DDDD

Ah, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend trying semi-serious compiling on that machine. Actually, never mind compiling - can your laptop even run Firefox at adequate speeds?

well I thought compiling from source would help with performance

>wtf is this garbage?
you said it.. gentoo

>installing web browser in 25 min
>thinks it's okay
kys

Attached: Thats_the_joke.jpg (452x339, 20K)

That was about compiling. Installing takes seconds.

>using Gentoo in older hardware

Gentoo is for modern machines, kid.

>install gentoo on my Mac
>install takes days
C'mon I'm giving it 800Mhz of Power(PC) what is this garbage

Try compiling with 1 GB of RAM, you'll be stuck in a swap hell permanently.

get a proper cpu. gentoo is not a phone os

>installs hobbyist linux installation for people whose hobby is to toy with linux
>is surprised about autism
wew normie fuck off reee

I fell for the arch meme and know it pretty well now
Tell me why I should leave the AUR and install Gentoo

you silly frog

Attached: screenshot.png (426x243, 5K)

from the gentoo wiki

Attached: screenshot.png (1152x174, 27K)

Your pc is garbage.

Attached: 0C0D276B-EFCC-407C-9F11-D485B902E43C.jpg (766x353, 82K)

op pls read these and stop being such a fag

Stop protecting poorfags

>I didn't expect a compile-yourself hobby bistro to be such a timesink

Attached: index.jpg (229x221, 13K)

>compiles something that is almost quite literally its own OS
>expect low compile times

>hurr durr compiling everything from source takes forever on a toaster
Kys brainlet

>expect to just use my computer without having to wait X hours to compile a web browser

Let me guess, Chromium? You have no clue how huge that package is. You don’t understand that when you download a pre compiled binary, someone else had to compile it for you. And that takes a long time depending on the hardware being used. The problem here is you: you’re either using slow hardware, or you shouldn’t be using a source based OS in the first place if you don’t want to compile things from source.

It’s sad I have to explain basic things to brainlets.

>using gentoo when you don’t want to compile things from source
You’re literally at fault here you fucking retard

Checked, OP is indeed a brainlet, /thread

>using Gentoo for this

Gentoo user will tell you to use the binary. Laughable, right?

>It’s sad I have to explain basic things to brainlets.
you figured me out..

You know I have a life and thing to do instead of waiting ghannoo to compile a fucking web browser.. I'll stick to distro which does the job faster...

r/tards

Do you even know the purpose of gentoo? You’re clearly not in the target niche it was made for. It’s for people who need to build and deploy a custom system, a la Chrome OS, which was built with gentoo. Falling short of that, it’s for people who just want to mess around with it because they like Linux. You fit into neither category, so stop being a faggot, go kys, and use Windows or something.

>It’s for people who need to build and deploy a custom system
yes.. all faggots here NEED to build and deploy a custom system.. TRUE!

>I’ll stick to a distro that does the job faster
>it’s faster because it doesn’t compile everything from source
>retard OP just NOW figured this out
You should be ashamed of your low intelligence. Do you regularly just jump into things when you have no idea what they are?

>falling short of that, it’s for people who want to mess around with it because they like Linux
Brainlet can’t into reading comprehension

>it’s faster because it doesn’t compile everything from source
YOU are genius ! *tips fedora*

>You know I have a life and thing to do instead of waiting ghannoo to compile a fucking web browser.
That would be easier to belive if you didn't post here.

Attached: images.jpg (218x231, 6K)

>mess around with it
you ment rise

Everyone ITT calling it a “hobbyist OS” got stuck partitioning their disks and went back to ubuntu+amazon/systemD

>kys
>and use Windows
>in that order
Kek
OP is a fucking retard. Who the hell chooses to use gentoo, and then complains that you have to compile everything from source? Why even choose it in the first place?

someone's butthurt

projecting much ?

YOU are pajeet ! *tips poopy*

ok, kid
good talk.. keep ricing your ghanoo+linOx

>I know you are but what am I
Brainlet tier response baka desu senpai

nope.. you are wrong my friend

downvote

Don’t worry pal, if you can find someone to read the man pages to you, I’m sure you’ll be able to use gentoo some day too.

I... will? What exactly did you hope to accomplish with this thread? To get me to stop? No way, “kid”

I'm not OP.. i don't know how you get the idea..

i'm fine with alpine mate. i use a laptop and i'd just rather not
don't get me wrong, gentoo gets the job done but i have no interest in running it again for the obvious reasons

No, hypocracy at best.

Even better, what did you hope to accomplish by making that retarded post? To get me to stop?
>hurr durr keep doing that thing you like doing.
Did you think it would make me do the opposite?

Attached: 04E8D9C2-79C0-48BD-A947-80A953203950.jpg (400x400, 45K)

I'm proving to you that ghanoo is retarded choice for a general user.. sadly Sup Forums is now the general user.. Sup Forums stands for crin/g/e these days..
p.s. nice touch with the green frog

You didn't prove anything except that you're an autistic boy who gets angry when people use operating systems he doesn't approve of.
green frog posters are smarter than you

>hurr durr keep doing that thing you like doing.
y-you too...

Attached: 1497204989864.jpg (378x378, 16K)

but ofc.. everyone NEEDS to install ghanno cus my minimalims and muh dwm and muh keyboard shortcuts..
your argument is INVALID as yourself

What argument? You're the only one arguing. I will continue to use what I like, and I will remember that every time I do so, a downie like you shits his pants in rage. :^)

The absolute state of retarded wintoddlers. Mac users are smarter than this

>going back to Arch
Aaaand there it is.

>I have a live
>I post on Sup Forums
pick one

>rage
more like pity

>wintoddlers
okay

not everyone on Sup Forums is a tech illiterate-gay-basement dwelling-neckbeard-weaboo
...believe it or not

get off my board reeee

lynx or firefox-bin emerge time ~ 14-16 seconds

Also xorg-server, xinit, xapps, xf86-video and xf86-input take a much time time about 1 hour of compiling

>using -O3
>fucking 2018

Attached: 1520632711515.gif (360x282, 1.64M)

exactly, -O4 -ffast-math is where it's at

get a better computer or deal with it
or just use binary distros since you obviously don't need the options offered to you by building from source, fucking plebeian

only 2 days? nice!

firefox-bin does

What? You can still use your computer, even with no Xorg. Just background the process and continue. You can use links in the meantime.

dumb frogposter

-march=native -O2 -pipe plz don’t recommend shitty flags

Kek the literal state of linux

>every distro is gentoo

pussy

Web browsers are among the most complex software in existence, and you compile the whole thing from scratch, on a home machine. What the fuck did you expect?

with gentoo you can see why minimal software is needed

kek
this

Install Mint

>not -O0 -funroll-all-loops -fstrict-aliasing -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fvariable-expansion-in-unroller -ftree-parallelize-loops=1

kek this. you never see macfags jump into little autistic fits like this. it's always wintoddlers.

they should rename it to comfy linux

If you have such a busy a life then fucking get up from your computer while its compiling and go live your life you literal retard

Firefox (non-ESR) is starting to be a real bitch with it's hard dependency on Rust. You could use dev-lang/rust-bin and compile Firefox or just use firefox-bin straight as mentioned.

gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/mozconfig-v6.58.eclass#n163

FUcking memelanguages are increasing. SOon you'll have node, go, rust, clang/llvm, gcc, python, perl, and tens of other compilers/languages on your system. Gentoo maintainers will be even more overwhelmed. Cargo and nodejs are piece of shit

>wtf is this garbage?
Time to ditch that celeron.

Node is the future. Deal with it, systemstard.

www-client/firefox-bin next time, eh?

JavaShit is not the future you fucking brainlet

why dont you take your stupid meme image, shove it up your ass and then reboot the computer

wow can't set the use flags, just like in every other binary distro.