I just picked my guitar off my shelf for the first time in like 6 months...

I just picked my guitar off my shelf for the first time in like 6 months, I bought it meaning to learn it but never got around to it, and Jesus Christ.

How the fuck do people fret their guitar(? is that the correct terminology?)really fast and shit. I play a single note and then take like 5 seconds switching chords.

What's an easy way to start learning for real?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_chord
youtube.com/watch?v=FZbOtYOpGIY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>is that the correct terminology?
wtf no

you would just simply say play

this doesnt really make sense either
>I play a single chord and then take like 5 seconds switching chords
ftfy?

justinguitar.com

practice frequently, and practice deliberately. Pick two random chords that you know and practice switching between them. Do it slowly at first, preferably with a metronome, and then speed up--if you learn to walk, you'll inevitably learn to run. If you find that switching with particular chords is difficult, then put extra time and energy into them, isolation the difficult bits and refining them is key.

I recently was given a banjo. I don't know shit about strings. I picked up the Essential Elements books. They're intended for school band kids, but they're fantastic. They make them for p much ever instrument.
That's what I'd recommend if you can't swing actual lessons.

Though, I was in band class for 7 years, albeit in percussion, so it might be a bit different for me.

Yes it is, you fuck.
Fretting is the action of pressing the string down behind a fret.
It's a verb.
I mean yeah it's also a noun but 'fretting' isn't incorrect.

>Pick two random chords that you know and practice switching between them. Do it slowly at first, preferably with a metronome, and then speed up
that sounds insanely boring and I have literally no recollection of ever learning to play this way. I would just simply practice open chords songs and play them slowly and then faster. Metronome is for practicing scales not chords.

fuck you no it isnt literally no one says this

>dude I'm fretting so fast right now holy shit

even finger boarding would be more incorrect but still literally no one says this

>How do I finger my guitar faster?

*more correct

>It's a verb.
wow thanks einstein

and thats why you'll never be good

you can sit and watch tv and not even strum, just practice changing chords and placement with your left hand

that post was about literally two chords and thats exactly what I was responding to.

Okay jack black I understand you have no formal instrument training.
Fretting is the process of placing your fingers on the strings and pressing them to the fretboard. That is not playing a guitar.

He was saying he has trouble doing this in one spot, then moving to the other, because he has to search every time. It's the guitar equivalent of 'hunt and peck' typing.

There's a pretentious detailed term for the "right hand" but never the left unless its a very specific thing like hammer on, pull offs, etc. Even tapping doesn't technically apply to the left hand. The right hand gets all that stuff like "pick faster, strum faster, etc."

>I understand you have no formal instrument training.
no u

That is not a formal term and literally no one says that. Is there some pretentious term like that for piano? No people just fucking say play.

see
and thats exactly why

unless its specified then its just assumed you're referring to the fretboard as a priority.

Pressing your fingers to the fretboard isn't playing anymore than pushing down the gas pedal is driving. It's part of the process.
Go to Google. Type 'guitar fretting is'

what are you fucking on about

I dont need to fucking use google here pal. Fine go around asking how you can fret faster. Enjoy

bump

Practice. That's literally all there is to it. Anyone you see playing a guitar proficiently has been playing it hours a day for months at least.

Practice ya silly

this. literally this. it's literally just practice.

BUT

1. make sure you have the correct technique. wouldn't want to practice in a bad technique that could limit your playing ability or cause injury in the long term

2. you also have to practice "smart". think about what you're doing, where you want to be, what you should be practising etc. playing your favourite songs mindlessly over and over again probably won't get you far. but if you actually properly try to analyse them and see what's going on you can learn a lot.

3. don't listen to reddit bullshit like try and play stuff you normally wouldn't. don't waste your time on music you're not interested in.

4. scales generally aren't that important. as long as you know the most basic ones (in every key) that's more than enough

i just want to use the guitar as a means of expressing my 18 year old angst. how can i achieve this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

1. electric guitar
2. amplifier with distortion
3. angsty music
4. guitar tabs of angsty music
5. play angsty music

not like that. just soft sad acoustic music.

learn the basic "2 frets down from the above string" power chord and palm muting. throw in double stops for good measure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_chord

youtube.com/watch?v=FZbOtYOpGIY

This. First time figuring out barre chords is like opening a door to a new dimension. Holy shit man, so much new shit to play.

Guitar grimoire books is how I became a god

learn how to play scales 3 notes a string in every position. mindlessly noodle while doing shit like watching tv

do like Eddie Van Halen and sit at home drinking and playing for hours at a time instead of having fun

smoke cigarettes

Ok instead of making a new thread i'll just ask here since it's kind of on topic. I've been playing classical guitar for 12 years now and i can confidently say that i am fairly skilled, but now i want to get myself an electric guitar and i realize i know fuck all about how to improvise/jam/play freely on a guitar since all i've been doing my whole life was studying classical sheet music. Can anyone fill me in on what i need to learn to be able to improvise?

playing for hours at a time was fun for Eddie, and he's one of the most celebrated guitarists to ever live because of it.

is learning about barre chords before learning about anything else good though?

most of improvisation is just having a bag of licks to draw upon

I would sit around and play 12 bar blues and just try to wail.

There are backing tracks on youtube. I like to use looper pedal, play a random chord progression and then solo over it for as long as i can

Oh, no, it isn't. They are good for making angst-ridden adolescence music though.

Just keep practising, stop being lazy. I've been playing fairly constantly for the last 5 months without a teacher and I'm noticeably better than when I first started. Then again, I've been playing the piano for years, so it's not like I don't have a musical background