Coding: Linux?Windows?Mac OS? Which one you think is better in 2018?

All the posts I`ve seen were from 4 years ago. So I wanted to ask, What are the main differences between this two? Which one you prefer?

If you prefer linux... Which distro do you use?

I'm currently using Windows, but I'm thinking about switching to Ubuntu to code and learn. What do you think?

Thanks for your anwsers!

Attached: linux-vs-windows.png (500x250, 10K)

just start programming you lazy piece of shit. your first two years of programming will consist of little trash software

Attached: mt-stupid.png (400x314, 27K)

This

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1490202581716.gif (320x241, 2.09M)

Just install the JetBrains product for the language you want to use. Works cross platform and if you're a student you get them all for free.
Other than that, I recently fully switched to linux.
It's literally made for C/C++.
For C# (or other .NET) it's okay. Mono works good enough for anything you'd want to do.
Java works anywhere (thats the point of JVM).
Python is less of a hassle on linux than it is on windows.

You can install Ubuntu on Windows 10 if you don't want to make a huge commitment.

>windows
Not recommended. Try compiling a C or C++ project on windows and then for example on linux and see which one is easier to setup.

>mac os
Enjoy paying twice as much for a computer, being restricted everywhere and paying fees.

>linux
It's free and works perfectly fine for developing anything, it's super comfy if you're a developer.

>being restricted everywhere and paying fees.
I get the feeling you never used mac os. It's almost exactly like Linux except you can't rice the desktop. All the CLI tools you'd expect from a proper *nix system are there. In terms of user freedom/configuration you have about as much freedom as you do on Windows, and in some cases more.

This.
Also, loonix has better docs than windows (especially for c/c++

getting tools on linux/*bsd is less hassle than on FagOS. FagOS still doesn't have a good package manager.

>you have about as much freedom as you do on Windows
So, none?

I think it depends a bit on the language.
Writing C on windows sucks hard. Writing java on linux kinda sucks if you use a window manager, because they never work properly with the java swing interfaces or whatever it is called. Writing java in vim also kinda sucks. Actually java in general just flat out sucks.

>Coding
end your life

What about brew?

I'm not OP but might just as well do it myself :D

If you can run it then windows.
If you want "muh minimum desktop" then Gnu/Linux.
Lol@iOS

stop samefagging like that, it's sad

FreeBSD devs use macOS. FreeBSD powers Netflix. Therefore, macOS is the best developer OS.
Now pay up for your Apple hardware, goy.

Linux better but depending on what you're making, whatever your currently on could work just fine. don't completely switch your OS if you're already comfortable with it unless you definitely have to

I'm an MS slave because of the work-related software, but from what I've seen, stuff compiles much faster on linux. And I mean much faster, night and day.

Listen up. You're a fucking faggot who wants everything handed to you. It doesn't matter what you use because the answer should be "all of the above". I was writing games on an Apple II when you weren't even a speck in your father's nutsack. Now I work at Los Alamos and code nuclear reactor software on Windows XP.

>I'm currently using Windows, but I'm thinking about switching to Ubuntu to code and learn. What do you think?

It doesn't matter when you start learning. Just use what you have, and for the first couple years the garbage code you write won't mean shit regardless of which OS you wrote it on.

Also this:

iOS by a longshot
Lol @ you poorfags running nix enjoy your drivers.
Windows is a joke

>coding
>2018

Update your entire system using brew.

OS doesn't matter unless your code is OS-specific
Compile times don't matter
The fact that one program has slightly better syntax coloring, or some other minor shit like that doesn't matter
It doesn't matter if you use this or that text editor or this or that IDE, as long as you get the job done