Linux newbie here, why don't people like Gnome? Is it for aesthetic reasons or functionality?

Linux newbie here, why don't people like Gnome? Is it for aesthetic reasons or functionality?

Attached: combat-garden-gnomes-with-rifles-300x250[1].jpg (300x250, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gnome isn't part of Linux

I don't know what gnome is or does, sorry

Both.

Bloat bloat bloat
So much fucking bloat
So many useless packages and services running in the background using a gig of ram on idle, completely defeats the point of linux
But I hate desktop environments in general, just install a window manager and the applications you need, it's not that hard

I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what GNOME is or does sorry.

Both.
Also, as a dev I don't like my environment to be a everchanging, semi-documented bugfest.

>EXTREMELY bloated
>Horrid UI
>Shitty tablet sized buttons
>Takes 20 extensions to make it usable
>half of those extensions will break when you update

Once you go free you dont need to follow the herd and you choose whatever you like

This. If it suits your needs - use it and don't look back.

They removed the option to shutdown immediately when you press the power button

Most people on this board HATE usable default configurations and gnome doesn't allow all that much configuration, but the default kind of works.

But lots of people do. KDE and gnome are the two main DEs for a full but more bloated system.
For me personally it is too bloated, I like my systems slim and fast, therefore I chose XFCE.

XFCE is only slightly slimmer than KDE. You're not gaining anything by using XFCE over KDE.

because using GNOME is like putting an entire unnecessary OS on top of GNU

It gains stability, KDE is an unstable POS, there are zero reasons to use KrapDE over XFCE

But I do use it and like it, it is the best DE Linux has

linux is the kernel which is part of the gnu/linux operating system
gnome is a DE part of the gnu/linux operating system

No thumbnails

The devs are very stubborn and like everything to be their way but I still like it and I've been using it for a while. imo it's the best looking DE when it's themed and it's overall very comfy on a distro like debian or fedora. Again, that's just my opinion

many reasons
it's basically a crime against humanity

Good?

I absolutely hate these fucking things.
Give me a nice detailed list with small icons, the patrician way.

if you know what everything is you ran just delete ls and always use the full path

gnome was made for retarded people.

by retarded people

I had only problems with laggy animations and a lot of performance issues.
like hoovering over an icon cpu usage goes from 5-10% to 40-60%. sometimes when i start moving mouse random framedrops

Attached: kek.gif (220x211, 35K)

BLOAT
L
O
A
T

Is it bloated because of GTK or is GTK good?

It is because jealousy, you know, like in highschool, every loser attacks the best and the most popular instead of improve.

Attached: gnome_rules2.png (805x623, 321K)

GTK is a light and a good toolkit, better than proprietary garbage like Qt

Attached: kde_annoying.png (557x459, 156K)

Gnome tries to have a smartphone interface for desktop computers, keeps removing features, is super heavy on resources, has fuck huge titlebars, and the developers are arrogant assholes. That's the basic rundown.

GTK is garbage and Linus even uses qt for the one major gui application he develops. Watch this video of Linus' co-dev talking about how they switched subsurface (Linus' gui diving program) to qt because gtk was terribleyoutube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0

Qt isn't proprietary. Qt is GPLv3 and LGPLv3. GTK+ is LGPLv2.1. Qt does have a commercial version but you only buy that if you want to write proprietary software.

Linus used it once and not anymore, and it wast becuase they want it to be multiplatform, GTK on Linux was fine.
You have to sing an anti-freedom and abusive CLA if you wan't to contribute to Qt, is proprietary garbage,

gnome devs don't listen to feedback
they want you to use gnome the way they want it

Watch the video, they specifically talked about problems with getting GTK to actually do what they wanted on any platform and that the GTK devs wouldn't help them even though it was Linus Torvalds himself.

>GTK to actually do what they wanted on any platform
Exactly, becuase GTK is aiming for Linux first, for multiplatform use something else, I don't recomment proprietary garbage like Qt though

What do you recommend then? electron?

Correction, they don't listen too NEETS who only live to rice desktop w/o doing anything productive

They couldn't even get it to do the things they wan't it to do purely on GNU/Linux. Watch the talk before making shit up.

WxWidgets, it is actually free or Lazarus, also free

Having to sign a cla to contribute hardly makes a program proprietary. The GNU project itself has devs turn their copyright over to the FSF when they make projects GNU projects.

Just use Qt and ignore the retards.

Oh they could, but Linux didn't want to waith

the thing that keeps me from using Qt is that Gtk works better in CLion

Linus*
No, is proprietary garbage
Not all the CLAs have the same purpose, Qt's CLA is designed to take free as in freedom code and turn it into proprietary, is garbage, don not use it.

You clearly missed the million threads on Sup Forums when an experienced KDE developer tried to reason with the Gnome team just to get a Gnome dev telling him that only Gnome matters on reddit. You also must have missed a Gnome dev telling the transmission team that they had to choose whether they wanted to be a gnome app, a kde app, or a xfce app.

You should give QtCreator a go, it's pretty good.

I don't follow dramas in mailing list, sorry, I let the developers handle it.

So I just read through the Qt CLA and it turns out that you don't even give up your copyright for your contribution to Qt, in fact you just license your contribution to Qt. Your code is still free as in freedom and you can contribute it to any number of other projects under any license you want even after contributing it to Qt. Of course you are allowing them to use your code in commercial Qt when you contribute as well but it still ends up in open source Qt anyway.

Sorry, but you suck at reading CLAs, sign it and you agree for them to relicinsing the free as in freedom code to any license they want it, including taking the free as in freedom code, make changes to it and never contributing those changes it back, it is evil and proprietary garbage.

You can make the titlebar size smaller by making a gtk.css file

Attached: css.png (1680x1050, 1.81M)

>zero reasons to use KrapDE
>over xfeces
hmm

>hoovering
swamp german detected

That doesn't fucking tell us where to put it or how to make gnome use it.

Use google fucktard.

Lack of functionality. Fuck the gnome devs, they destroyed something that was once so beautiful.

Attached: 1519495662636.png (838x1198, 908K)

that article was made in 2012, KDE has done so much in the last two years it's crazy

belongs on a tablet, not a desktop

I cannot talk for other people of course but personally i don't have a problem with the existence of gnome, with it being "the best" or not or with people preferring it or not, however i think it's not healthy to ignore that some well recognized gnome developers seems to have a pretty hostile attitude towards other project for no good reason to the point of even trying to hurt them with "gnome is the only DE that matters" as their reasoning, what happened to transmission is a good example.

Attached: love_the_foot.jpg (480x480, 32K)

enlightenment toolkit and fltk

Functionality.
Gnome is pretty, somewhat.
But it's bloated, extremely opinionated and no better than running Android x86, really.

Idk why it gets so much hate. I love it.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-12 20-47-36.png (1920x1080, 384K)

gnome was once pretty nifty. then they made gnome 3

> then they made gnome 3
And it was a success.

Attached: gnome_rules3.png (727x592, 320K)

this mentality really rustles my jimmies. worst of it the foot will get its way once canonical adopts gnome as the standard de

for their C libraries
for lacks of functionality
for aesthetics

Back in the day Gnome 2 was the shit, and then 3 changed how everything worked. The devs locked everything down and removed all the customizability that was so good about it.

Pape?

Gnome is pretty, but after installing a few packages to get it to work how I wanted it was taking over 1 GB of RAM. XFCE is lighter with a shorter time to config how I want (mainly controlling window placement with numkeys).