Get over it Sup Forums: It's 2018, removable batteries are obsolete, like headphones jacks, SD cards, and USB

mashable.com/2018/01/01/why-phones-cant-have-removable-batteries-anymore/

archive.fo/3Uy7F

Get over it Sup Forums: It's 2018, removable batteries are obsolete, like headphones jacks, SD cards, and USB.

Attached: Capture.png (908x921, 720K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fairphone.com/
catphones.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Choice is overrated, I really just want someone to tell me what is good, not necessarily WHY it is good, and i'll just go buy that.
Who needs expandable storage or removable ANYTHING, only fucking terrorists and right-wingers to be truthful.

I rate this article double plus good /10

>how and why it slowed down iPhones with older batteries
wtf does one thing even has to do with the other.
nice bullshit, faggot.

This article is so bad it makes me feel angry my phone doesn't come with one, even though I know I can just open the case and replace it myself anyway

Then I'll stick with my obsolete phone, thanks.

Oh no! I just ordered an extended battery pack for my phone. Guess it'll last me another five years! :v)

Attached: IMG_3852.jpg (1282x854, 488K)

non removable batteries don't exist, it's just harder to do it.

This. Galaxy S6 says it's non-removable but the instruction manual gives you steps to remove the back and replace the battery. It's harder than it was before, but it's not a impossible job.

Underrated

If there's a significant chance of breaking your phone, then there's no point.
>j-just be a service technician bro! get yourself a magnifying glass and the entirety of the ifixit toolkit sets
>i-it's your own fault you can't fix this designed-to-break-on-fix-attempt phone
My S5 and G4 don't have these problems. It's a goddamn shame that Phone Blocks/Ara never went anywhere.

>...and thats a good thing, find out why.

iTODDLERS BTFO

>removable batteries are obsolete, like headphones jacks
Why are headphone jacks obsolete again? Just because Apple said so?

cute anime fren

Attached: flat_1000x1000_075_f.u1.jpg (991x1000, 158K)

/thread

my guess: retards bought the discourse that apple leads on technology, so other companies will do what apple does.

Pretty much. Apple has proven they're quite the opposite of obsolete with their shitty new speaker.

Just fuck my shit up, I'm buying a bunch of lg v20s and never upgrading

apple wants to "innovate" and not be constrained by established tech/ports

Funny how all reviews agree it has great sound. Only downside is connectivity but seeing how most iPhone users will buy it that is a non issue.

Apple used batteries that were barely sufficient enough to power the phone at load so once they were worn slightly it caused instability. So rather than doing the right thing and issuing a recall on a defective product they started throttling the CPU massively leading to slowdowns. The thing that really bit them in the ass though is that they did it silently. There was no indication of it happening and even if you took it into a store it could pass Apple's battery check because their battery check fail state is far below where throttling happens. In such cases you had people with throttled phones being told to buy new models if they want a more responsive phone.

>So rather than doing the right thing and issuing a recall on a defective product they started throttling the CPU massively leading to slowdowns
and they did so right after releasing new phones.
yeah, I'll believe their BS. fucking JEWS.

did you finish your reps?

>tfw G4 would basically be the perfect phone if not for the fucking motherboard
Had mine for two years already, I don't know when it'll have a heart attack.

T-Thanks. I found a bunch of mods for this phone, and one of them was changing the outside screen image while it's open. ;D

Pardon?

>but it ultimately proved to be the right one

>you need only look around at the current Android landscape to see how that turned out

Yeah everyone wanted to design more planned obsolescence into their devices and make Aplel level money.

Why doesn't apple just offer free battery replacements for 10 years?

Attached: 1487131022791.png (657x527, 24K)

>tfw S5 was offered to me by work for $50, said sure I'm happy with the old S3 but why not
>still perfect condition, 2 extra batteries, never plugged into anything but headphones
Every 6 months I get the IT chief asking if I want a new phone, she can't understand why anyone would be happy with something that isn't a brand new iShit

Attached: excellent taste.jpg (680x383, 28K)

had a laff
Thanks comrade

and who the fuck needs more than 128gb on a phone anyway

the day phones also do projection anyway, they will be able to put 1tb memory

S3 is a great phone though

It is which is why I didn't want to upgrade really. I've still got mine, though it has replaced glass and I need to swap out the LCD in it. They offered me a phone that was brand new 4 years ago for $50, no strings; I wasn't going to say no. If I didn't like it I would've sold the thing, as is it gave me a reliable backup for a while.

To save time:

Argument 1: Removable batteries are a thing of the 90s.
Argument 2: IPhone never end-user-removable batteries.
Argument 3: IPhone competitors don't have removable batteries.
Argument 4: Companies want their product to look Apple-like.
Argument 5: Form over function
Argument 6: Water/dust resistance.
Argument 7: More room for other stuff.
Argument 8: Removable batteries need to be rectangular.

>like headphones jack

Stopped reading there

>Dumb anime pedo can't take off the back of a smartphone, disconnect a cable and plug in a new battery
Why am I not surprised?

>After 2001
>Buying anything apple
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WEW Lad what retards waste their money on inferior shit?!?!
Apple is literally the worst company of all times who sells useless shit.

Apple degenerates fail to even explain why they by this shit.
Literally no reasons to buy it.

Attached: 2 ezgif-2-7b0bf20b20.gif (478x197, 3.95M)

Sell it dude. Mine shit the bed after 8 months of me falling in love with it. It's an excellent phone but the motherboard problem is LG's biggest failure.

iToddlers BTFO

DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRAH?

The i in iShit stands for inferior.

Still using a note 4 :^)

Only 6 is actually worth anything at all

I must say it's a reasonable explanation

>Phone battery gets old
>unscrew a couple screws
>replace the battery
>takes a total of 5 mins

Wow, so hard.

>"but I want to change my battery when my phone runs out cause I used it heavily every day!"
Use a power bank, retard. Have you been living under a rock or something?

>Get over it Sup Forums: It's 2018, removable batteries are obsolete, like headphones jacks, SD cards, and USB.

>something that is objectively better is obsolete

To be clear:
*argument 7: no need for junk to protect battery itself and keep chassis stiff at the same time
This 6 and 8 is enough for me.

>Battery gets old
>Unscrew screws
>Lift screen off and break delicate clips holding the screen in
>Unsolder battery and fuck up a couple capacitors purposefully placed there to make it awkward
>Resolder battery
>Put screen back in
>Screw everything together
>Suck apple's cock

Vs

>Take back off
>Pop out battery
>Insert new battery
>Put cover back on
Take your pick.

Note 4, got shortly after release, still working after having to replace one dead battery due to fast charging bullshit
I'm never getting a phone without easy access to battery

Quit your bullshit. Even iPhones have batteries that require removing only 2 screws.

I replaced my S6 battery and the only thing you risk breaking is the glass back panel which costs $5 to replace anyways. Using a screwdriver and guitar pick doesn't require service technician experience.

Why aren't you whining about non removable displays then? You're more likely gonna get your screen cracked. How about easily replaceable USB ports. Do you also check this stuff when shopping for phone? Removable battery is a fucking buzzword morons keep repeating without thinking.

Sorry wrong quoting

Screens don't wear down from usage, so as long as I'm not a retard and use a case the screen will last until the phone is ancient. Batteries wear down no matter what you do.

>and it's a good thing
>it's time to move on goyim
>so take your xanax and start sucking the corporate cock finally

>Screens don't wear down from usage
Sure about that buddy?
Also accidents does not happen ever.

>Sure about that buddy?
Yes, none of my phones have ever had a screen wear down.

>Also accidents does not happen ever.
I use a case to protect my phone. My current phone has hit the pavement at least 20 times and there is no damage to it.

What did the normalfag mean by this?

Dumb anime pedo.

>never coming back
I don't know how stupid someone has to be to make a claim in the name of at least 30 Smartphone manufacturing brands, yet not even validate that claim with even a quarter of them.
I do know however that making that claim during the existence of such a diverse and big numbers of brands, each with their own philosophies and some always trying to be different in one way or another (like for instance some fat smartphone manufacturers that still churn out regularly), is the height of ignorance and stupidity and that the article writer should have been aborted at birth to lessen the pollution of the climate on this planet.

fairphone.com/

20$ for a new battery and you can easily change it yourself

Christ that site is awful
>abloo abloo muh ethics!
I don't want an ethical phone I want one that works.

At least the specs page is detailed.
Pretty good in terms of features if i can say so myself.
Don't like the aesthetic of the phone, but the features i can dig.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-12 Fairphone 2 ethical, open and built to last Fairphone shop.png (1328x1366, 145K)

Didn't LG and Samsung both have that and removable at same time?

Not if you get a Wileyfox. (I am shilling, because they're in administration, so hopefully if they sell more phones they'll get out and give me some damn software updates.)

Motorolla Defy, Samsung S5, lots of phones have been waterproof with removable batteries.

>t. false flagger

Fair play to you; I could never do that. I'm in too deep with WhatsApp, Snapchat, all that bullshit

If I am understanding correctly, he is assuming (incorrectly) that when you say "extended battery pack" you are referring to an iphone-style case with a battery built in. Of course those of us who know better know that you meant a larger-than-normal battery that just clips in place of the standard battery.

Attached: extended_battery.png (597x445, 240K)

I really wish I could use this in my country, we got rid of GSM networks like the cucks we are. Fucking god tier phone.

He means even a sealed battery can be removed if you know how to do it.

So what's the last good phone with a stylus?
My Note 3 is literally falling apart on me so I figured I might as well get something new, with more than 32GB internal flash and a screen good enough for trying out VR, but apparently rooting and getting unofficial updates on Exynos is getting less and less possible with every generation.
Note 4 software was abandoned shortly after launch, or even before.
Note 5 hardware is mostly a fucking downgrade.
Anyone here rooted Note 7, either FE or the bomb?

so.. soy-industry is tearing itself another asshole by making impractical garbage, a void that other companies will have to fill?

i think ones like caterpillar inc. will have a field day

catphones.com/

Attached: cat-s41-angle1-885x968px_1.png (885x968, 527K)

Why do shills keep saying shit like
>hurr durr it's 2018 grandpa [insert actually useful feature that never gets old] is no longer a thing its obsolete lol xD
Who the fuck thought that removing useful features and calling it obsolete was a good idea?
I see Apple is regressing rather than progressing. In my head, more ports = more functionality and features, and yet they keep removing ports. Are normalfags this dumb that they can't into ports? Please explain it to me.

hurr durr it's 2018 grandpa ethernet is no longer a thing its obsolete lol xD

Attached: 201234212337992.jpg (500x500, 23K)

I would unironically use that device.

As opposed to zero

You're right, I do complain about those things. Phones ought to be as modular as possible yet they're trending in exactly the opposite direction because it's easier to gouge consumers when the user has as little control over a device as possible. I don't agree with that ethos and never have.

same

fuck those faggotry dongles for tablets I JUST WANT A FUCKING WIRED ETHERNET CONNECTION.

Whatcha doing david hogg

Chill the fuck out grandpa, why'd you wanna use a god knows how old crap? It's no longer 1990 grandpa! *drinks soy milk*

Damn whippersnapper, back in the day we used tubes to watch tv, not these communist produced small lights

S-Shut up grandpa! Technology today is m-much better now! Just look at this new IMeme X! T..Totally didn't waste my money on garbage!

Attached: 1516408894688.jpg (1243x699, 172K)

Itoddler Retard got schooled

THIS
I hate options

Since asus could integrate cable testing (including break/short distance meters) into the fucking midrange motherboards in the fucking 2008 I really want an android-compatible usb dual-lan dongle that could provide both combine physical cable testing and tcp/ip for testing and actual use.

You don't need to solder for the battery, but it is glued in and it's a bitch and a half to get the glue off the back.

Samsung traded removable batteries for waterprofing.
They also got rid of SD card slot on the S6 to waterproof it, although they added it back in the S7 and it still is waterproof.
I'd say for general use, waterproofing is better for most consumers than a removable battery. That's because the DIY aspect of replacing a battery isn't worth the extra hassle of much higher increased risk of water damage. Going to a professional to replace your battery when you need to, but never having to worry about water damage is 100% worth it.

Well if you don't pull the sticky stuff just right.

>Going to a professional to replace your battery when you need to, but never having to worry about water damage is 100% worth it.

this nigga gets it, same reason minijack was removed

The microphone jack doesn't make your phone less waterproof.
I would say that if you have to get rid of the headphone jack, or SD card expansion to waterproof your phone, then the waterproofing isn't worth it.
However, the genius engineers at Samsung made it so we don't have to worry about that tradeoff. You get waterproofing AND a headphone jack AND a SD card slot.
I thought the S6 with no SD card slot went over the line though, but Samsung came back with the S7.

Or just don't use your phone while you're sitting in a bathtub, retard. Waterproofing is a meme, I've never had a problem with water damage in my life, you're way more likely to drop the phone and break it than dropping it in a pool of water.

>waterproofing
are people just retarded then? i've never dropped a phone in water in a decade, and i own a god damn restaurant, there's liquid EVERYWHERE

and in my nonexistent time-off I spend a lot on outdoorsy shit including hiking and camping. never has phone waterpoofing been an issue with a modicum of planning effort

So, this is a really weird article from my perspective, and here's why:

1) It's all incorrect and/or badly presented information.

It's not a matter of that a user replaceable battery would take up more space, etc.

It's that it is CHEAPER to produce a phone with the desired and and (As if the manufacturer really cares how good the material is, they don't. It just has to be popular and shiny enough.) if you don't include the removable battery feature.

It's completely possible to have a watertight phone with a removable battery. The fucking Galaxy S5 did it. It didn't have a problem, other than being filled with Samsung bloatware that is. :/

2) The writer assumes that his knowledge of phones from reviewing them for a living extends to actual engineering aspects.
Holy shit, that's retarded. They're clearly not an actual engineer or such.

3) This article perfectly exemplifies why phone and laptop 'reviewers' are fucking ruining the consumer electronics industry. I genuinely want these type of people to go an hero.

It's amazing, how forced the shilling is in this article. "It's not practical..."
No, it's not as cheap to produce, and would harm the company's profit margins.

Phones are getting more expensive (some fucking how), not less. So the ability to service them and maintain their performance (ie replacing the expendable part, the battery), is now arguably MORE important than ever.

I don't care if my $120 phone doesn't have a replaceable battery. Yea, at that point, after 2 years of use, it's disposable to me. I'm not gonna be upset.

If I pay $1200 for a phone, holy fuckmother. It better be able to be easily serviced, and come with a 3 year no-questions-asked replacement guarantee.

That really sucks... I have the CDMA varient for verizon, but GSM is also very very prevalent here. There is no plan to replace those formats so I should be set for quite a few years.

>Android 6.0

Attached: deprecated-800x303[1].png (800x303, 80K)

One of the problems actually with these phones is that after they've been taken apart once to replace the battery; the waterproofing is nullified almost completely.

The double stick tape that only fits perfectly at the factory one time during assembly is one of the major faults here.
Yes, a very skilled technician can potentially do it and get it water tight again... but we're talking 1/100 technicians will bother to try, and 1/1000 will get it right more than 90% of the time.

>"Oh, these backs can be easily pried off! Oh noes!"
Fuck you ever heard of a goddamn screw? Why don't things have battery covers that screw on anymore? This would solve 80% of the problems that were experienced when trying to waterproof a battery door.

>"I need an even application of force."
Put screws spaced evenly and make the door out of a sufficiently rigid material.

>"But they'll lose the screws."
Put retained screws in the cover.

There's no excuse other than lazy design, cheap materials, cheap manufacturing techniques, and dumb phone-reviewer-induced fads like 'muh thinness'.
They're all just that. Excuses to rob people of more money, and make a bigger profit.

Eh, it's 'good enough' still for most people. Hopefully they'll update that soon though.

Honestly mobile device software versions switch too fast if you ask me, it's just always an excuse to sell new phones.
Fucking Jews.

Is that a keyboard with the kana printed on or are those stickers? Where can I get it? Also cute awoo desu

I'm mostly concerned about security updates, really. Most phones will never see a KRACK fix, which is embarrassing. Then again, most APs also won't see a KRACK fix.

The average user will be vulnerable for a long time.

>Take a look at the Galaxy S5 and Note 4. Notice any similarities? They both have plastic backs that can easily be pried off to reveal the battery.

>And that's a good thing, except people wanted better materials.

Nobody wants a slippery as fuck glass back REEEEEEE