Meaty fuzz pedals for noise rock

Let's talk about this. I need to buy a fuzz pedal for my alternative/post-hardcore/noise rock band. I'm not interested in insane, over-the-top fuzz pedals such as Zvex's Fuzzy Factory, etc. I'm more into simple, less hissy, more meaty fuzz pedals, that will make a massive tone.

I was interested in buying a Little Big Muff. Does anyone have experience with it and should I go for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_cDTyXjp_Cc
youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Superfuzz, Brassmaster. But I'd go into Big Muff anyway, I love that pedal.

The big muff is a classic, if you want something a bit thicker get the Wayhuge Swollen Pickle.

I tried a NYC Big Muff pedal at a guitar shop before and the sound was HUGE. But I've heard from other users that the pedals aren't well made and make a lot of unnecessary noise. Did you have the same experience with them.

I did some noise rock, and I used just simple fuzz, I can't remember what it was, I had one whammy before it, to shape it one octave lower if needed and after fuzz I plugged in wah.

anyone know what kind of fuzz Neutral milk hotel uses?

I don't know if I am right guy for this, because I exactly love dirty tone and all that buzz and unnecessary noise, I like when tone is not perfect. But I would say, problem isn't in pedal, but when you record try to play with mic placement, compression and so on.

me

Bass Big Muff is amazing as a guitar pedal. It's very similar to the russian sovtek muffs, and you can get regular Muff sounds out of it as well

Fun fact: I wasn't aware that 'muff' had any sexual connotation as a 12 year old kid. I was just a guitar nerd and I read that Billy Corgan and my other idols used Big Muff pedals, so I asked MY MOM for a big muff for christmas

She's cool as hell and got it for me but definitely had a laugh

It was also the Sovtek big muff. I fuckin threw it away when it broke and if I held onto it and just had it fixed it would be worth 200 bucks easy

so it goes

youtube.com/watch?v=_cDTyXjp_Cc

I have a NYC big muff and its one of my favorite pedals, I don't hear any extra noise. Only problem I would have with build quality is that the jacks and knobs can come lose because of the thin metal case, but it's not really an issue.

No, I meant that the pedal creates noise and static by itself?

Glad to hear that.

I don't think so, however nothing that couldn't be fixed by noise gate.

fuzz plebs ITT

Damn that is killer tone.

Yeah I think you'll like it . I think it's an essential pedal for any guitarist really.

I would just get the regular NYC big muff, I tried a little big muff and there was a slight difference, more compressed sounding but in a way that made it seem weaker.

Anyone have any experience with a Tone Bender?

>MUH BOUTIQUE FUZZES

Funny how most of them are just variations of the classic circuits

stacked distortions and drives>fuzz

>distortion is better than fuzz

who's a fuckin pleb?

Has anyone tried the Germanium Big Muff Fuzz? It seems interesting but also like it is missing the low end and power of the NYC Big Muff Pi.

Is that a melody maker?

yes, melody maker special was only 300 bucks on clearance @ sam ash. It has p90's instead of usual melody maker pickups. I actually am putting SD Mini humbuckers in it but I have to make a pickguard first. It's currently in disrepair in my closet and has been for weeks bc I'm lazy af. The p90's will go into my Yamaha RGX strat copy

damn that looks really good, a steal for $300.

Melody Maker is my favorite looking Gibson. I really like the sound of P90s.

But I'm more of a Fender guy.

i hate derailing the fuzz thread, but I picked this up when I went shopping for a strat. It just won me over, I played basically every guitar in my city and it was too special to pass up

it's also like a Gibson fender, with the plank body and no frills design

I just wish it were a double cutaway MM because those are the coolest looking imo

Hate to derail it as well.

One day, I'll buy myself a Jazzmaster, just need to figure out which one. I've heard the Modern Player one isn't all that great, that the bridge sucks and strings falls out of tune when you use the tremolo bar. I haven't tried it myself.

Other than that, what's your opinion on Big Muff? Do you have an alternative?

Similar with me, I want to buy Jag, tone is perfect, but they make it pretty expensive, and cheap versions have that loose bridge. Also, short neck would be problem maybe. Silly thing - no black color.

Not him, but look on Superfuzz pedal, kind of similar to muff I think but different taste.

i have this and its really good

holy shit. Well let's do this. I have a squier vm jm. offsetguitars forums will tell you how to deal with these motherfuckers

in short: shim the neck so you can raise the bridge, that makes the string tension greater and they won't slip out. Then after you have the saddle heights set you wanna throw clear nail polish on them because the screws always unscrew. this will lock them in place. Modern Player's already have an angled neck pocket so it's unnessicary to shim. Once you have it set up, they stay in tune with the trem. But if you wanna go to drop D or something everything will get fucked since it's all floating (loosen one string everything else goes up in pitch). Obviously not a floyd rose but you can use it as intended.

The Squier is great. I had to file the edges of the frets but I have mine set up pretty godlike right now. The pickups are really nice IMO. This thing is like a real jazzmaster. It feeds back and isn't ideal for all kinds of music. Good for classic/surf/garage kind of stuff. Noise rock too. If you wanna play really modern shit it's not a good choice since it feeds back and is noisy

My opinion on the Big Muff is it's the best. I have 3 of them

If I want to sound like flaming lips (clouds taste metallic), what gear do I need?

Hey, thanks for all the info. I'm not into something modern, more like 90s post-hardcore/noise-rock but with Dinosaur Jr., Elliott Smith and shoegaze influences, much more melodic and less angular and atonal. I guess Big Muff is THE choice for some riffs and it should work really great for the soft-loud dynamics since it has a big sound.

So you say that the Squier is worth it? Are the pickups noisy? Can you describe how do they sound?

the pickups are noisy. Cancels in middle position. It literally sounds like a jazzmaster, check Elvis Costello's early rock records, old ventures surf music etc.

J Mascis has a signature JM, both fender and squier versions with P90's and a tune o matic bridge instead of the problematic JM bridge

The squier version is about 400 bucks i think the fender is 800 or so

it also has a gold anodized pickguard. I actually chose the VMJM over it because I NEEDED candy apple red

the j mascis trem is also a little closer to the bridge than the normal jazzmaster to increase break angle as well

I love the squier pickups, since I already have a P90 guitar I wanted the soapbar vintage sound

Here's what jazzmasters sound like

youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0

Love the Swollen Pickle, it's my go to for fuzz

>The more money you spend in order to square the signal the better