I want to know every bit of little information about John Maus

I want to know every bit of little information about John Maus

Tell me everything you know this man. Feel free to discuss him among yourselves ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dMymlVetr9Q
vimeo.com/38055612
mausspace.com/
undertheradarmag.com/interviews/panda_bear_vs._ariel_pink_-_the_full_interview/
www93.zippyshare.com/v/xbRg0zA3/file.html
web.archive.org/web/20040214050200/http://www.demonstrationbootleg.com/AUGUST.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>good friend of Ariel Pink
>stands up for his friends (I've seen him defend Ariel Pink at length over twitter)
>Recognizes true misogyny
>eh pretty good guy

He seems to have been active since the late '90s, possibly earlier though I've never heard any recordings.

He worked with Ariel Pink around the time of Loverboy, later was part of the first Haunted Graffiti band:
youtube.com/watch?v=dMymlVetr9Q

Don't know what he's been up to since 2011.

He is by far the most philosophical pop musician.

>tfw it's been five years since his last record

: (

you should watch his interviews on youtube. atm is teaching philosophy at some college in hawaii
he also included pom pom in this dissertation he wrote.
vimeo.com/38055612

Didn't like mature themes at all and think ariel sold out. but thinks pom pom is a step in the right direction.

can probably find more accurate info here mausspace.com/

>Didn't like mature themes at all and think ariel sold out.

source? I know he liked before today so that seems weird to me

>Didn't like mature themes at all and think ariel sold out. but thinks pom pom is a step in the right direction.

link?

do you have a copy of that dissertation? it was posted here sometime ago but i think the link is down now

i know ariel spoke about it in his interview with panda bear undertheradarmag.com/interviews/panda_bear_vs._ariel_pink_-_the_full_interview/

>He was the first fan, before there was anything to be a fan of. If I'm being honest, he gave me all the confidence that what I was doing was right and nurtured me. Anything that I might hope to feed off of narcissistically, in terms of trying to get everybody's approval or piss everybody off, all of that is moot. I gave up looking to John for my kudos, because he kept going back to this era when we started being friends, and he holds it up to this crazy degree in his mind. He always reminds me off it, like, "Yeah, Ariel, Before Today, that's okay, but what about "Crying," man? What about "[Only in My] Dreams"? What was that? That was like a tear in the fabric of the universe!" I got used to the fact that he didn't like my [new] shit. I'd still send him stuff, but I had to find my own sense of confidence and my satisfaction elsewhere. We always got along and always talked, but this has been a running thread and not the focus. But when I sent pom pom to him, I'd given up any kind of notion that I'd hear back from him with any kind of positive message. I was basically like, "Here. Whatever." But to hear him come back gushing made all the difference to me. It sealed the deal. I was happy about it before, but I was even happier after that. I don't know how much of that is real or whether he's lost it or I've lost it, but I appreciate those things and I realize how much I owe it to the people who supported me initially and gave me the belief in myself.

Noah: When's the last time you talked to John [Maus]?

Ariel: Just yesterday. He finished his doctorate. He's been working on that thing for a long time, and he sent it to me to read. Essentially, I make music for John.

Noah: I think of him, because I feel like he'd have a lot to say about this record.

Ariel: He was the first fan, before there was anything to be a fan of. If I'm being honest, he gave me all the confidence that what I was doing was right and nurtured me. Anything that I might hope to feed off of narcissistically, in terms of trying to get everybody's approval or piss everybody off, all of that is moot. I gave up looking to John for my kudos, because he kept going back to this era when we started being friends, and he holds it up to this crazy degree in his mind. He always reminds me off it, like, "Yeah, Ariel, Before Today, that's okay, but what about "Crying," man? What about "[Only in My] Dreams"? What was that? That was like a tear in the fabric of the universe!" I got used to the fact that he didn't like my [new] shit. I'd still send him stuff, but I had to find my own sense of confidence and my satisfaction elsewhere. We always got along and always talked, but this has been a running thread and not the focus. But when I sent pom pom to him, I'd given up any kind of notion that I'd hear back from him with any kind of positive message. I was basically like, "Here. Whatever." But to hear him come back gushing made all the difference to me. It sealed the deal. I was happy about it before, but I was even happier after that. I don't know how much of that is real or whether he's lost it or I've lost it, but I appreciate those things and I realize how much I owe it to the people who supported me initially and gave me the belief in myself.

undertheradarmag.com/interviews/panda_bear_vs._ariel_pink_-_the_full_interview/

sorry was saying that off memory. didnt say sell out

sure let me upload it on zippy
www93.zippyshare.com/v/xbRg0zA3/file.html

thanks dude
i hope he makes a return soon

>tfw when Mature Themes is my fav

It's the weirdest and most West Coast of everything he's put out on 4AD.

scaruffi loves Mature themes also. House arrest is my fav from him.

>I gave up looking to John for my kudos, because he kept going back to this era when we started being friends, and he holds it up to this crazy degree in his mind.

I've sort of got this impression.

even from a personal non-musical standpoint i know that feel he is getting at in the first sentence

web.archive.org/web/20040214050200/http://www.demonstrationbootleg.com/AUGUST.html

his old blog is great

>''The bottom line is that I am stupid... I am imbecelic and ignorant. Any reeeal thinker wouldn't even think twice about wiping their ass with these boring, american, 20 something, retarded ideas. So here it is you guttless paltroons. You wailing sacks... Rock N' Roll and all her bastard grandchildren suck... They are terrible... They are banalities... BANALITIES... Can I ever stress it enough... Ever... Ever... Ever... Ever.. I'm not crashing anyones party, I'm fucking retarded. RETARDED. Do you read me asshole, RETARDED... But not as retarded as fucking hip-hop... Oooohhhh, and thats just the start... Two minutes... No. No. No. precisely five minutes or so of exposure (like radiation exposure, only WORSE) sickens me beyond my comprehension to speak...

>''I have no patience for those without flashing eyes''

>''You rotten fucks. Youve never evened listened to a Beethoven symphony in its entirety. Dont be so fucking lazy. Shit. Its only Beethoven. Its not like its Webern or something. But listen to me... Identifying myself through consumption... Consumption... Well shit, at least I get the pleasure of the "English Suites" while your humping-around like a fucking baboon to "diddle my skittle." It makes me tilt my brow in shame and disgust. At YOU.''

>''Going to bed early. Getting up before 10:00. Good levels in the blood. Good balance of the brain. Balance. Balance. Balance. Neurons not "all" firing. Not "all." Slows things down. Slows the writing down. Love is mysterious. God is mysterious. Love can be like a grey washington day. Love can be like washingtons coast...''

How come nobody likes me?? How come nobody comments on these blogs?? How come nobody gives me praise?? How come nobody gives me feeeeeeeeeeeedback?? How come nobody buys my CD's?? How come nobody comes to this site?? How come?? How come?? How come I feel sick?

I know. I know. Because its terrible. I know that. I know. I know its all terrible. I know I'm terrible. I know I'm a terrible untalented fuck. I know. I know I'm not worth anybodies time... I know I'm trash. I know. I know I'm a loser. I know. I know I don't know what I'm talking about ever... I know. I know I don't know about rock n' roll. Or art... I know. I know if I died it would be no skin off anyones back. I know! I'm not sad... I don't care... Who cares? I don't. I know. I know there is no color, life or depth to anything I make or say? I know I have no vibrance or originality. I know no matter how hard I try I can't do anything worthwhile. I know I'm a crazy, rotten loser. I know I'm weak. I know this is "easy" and "boring," all of it. I know.

I've figured out the answer though, meditation... I'm going to learn how to astral project and leave a sack of meat behind... Goodbye. Goodbye.

>When I awoke this evening I asked Ariel what he thought of my last blog, to which he responded, "No. No. Don't you see what you've done? In your attempt to explain the horror you experienced coming across these terrible places on the internet you've linked-us to them... And I, too, found myself whatching the same Peaches video in horror... How could you do this to me?" After a moment of wretched contemplation, like when one thinks about the Police (sinsister authority figures and the like), a moment of brilliance struck our friend and he exclaimed something a long the lines of, "I know what can be done... We can BLOCK EM'! We can BLOCK EM' ALL! You know, like how, on the internet everyones trying to get linked to eachother... Well you should make a program that BLOCK'S things like Peaches." "Block em?" Adorno's wet-dream. Censorship of the petty-banal-and-the-mundane. A pseudo-individual website blocker... "Yes. Yes. There is something in that!" I hollared at my friend, and I began work immediately... I soon grew tired and gave up on trying to make a GUI for it, so BLOCK EM' in its crude form right now, is nothing more than a file that you double click and it imports Demonstration Bootleg's censored list into your browsers "Restricted Sites"... You must enable the content advisor in your Internet Options for BLOCK EM' to work... And thats that... No more music from New York City for you... BLOCK EM' will allready spare you the agony of many-a-terrible site we've accidently endured.

>And I, too, found myself whatching the same Peaches video in horror... How could you do this to me?

Kek.

>The anonymous commentor who said I should "climb a tree" was fucking right. I should just "climb a tree" and "just shut up and fucking climb the fucking tree." I came to realization that I am a ridiculous idiot. I mean, I knew it allready, but I really know it now. Submission. Submission to the fact that there is no grand narrative which can sum-up and explain the totality of things-- therefore, there are no absolutes only relative absolutes (which I thought I knew, but my language did not reflect this) whether its relegion, Focault, the Frankfurt School, Baudrilliard or Deleuze (even though they all say there is no absolutes ((for the most part, Baudrilliard maybe the exception)) thats even an absolute)... SO even the absolute that there are no absolutes ins't an absolute only a relative absolute, (i realize how middle-school I sound right now, believe me, if you want me to die I understand, I understannnnnnnd).