Lua Programming Language

Hey neckbeards, what are your opinions on the Lua language.
>inb4 "use C, user"

Attached: lualet.jpg (2320x1310, 193K)

Pretty good, user. It gives me the shits that it break compat between versions though.

Only use of Lua is Roblox, if used for any other reason kys.

Attached: images-1.jpg (259x194, 4K)

played with it when i was ricing my desktop with conky. Didnt go balls deep into it. Seemed like it had a pretty good learning curve compared to some other languages

Lua is used in more games and programs than just autismblox

Why would you even use lua if you don't already use C? I don't see the point.

It's probably the only scripting language I enjoy using. Performance with luaJIT is excellent. Tables are easy to understand, flexible, and very powerful for advanced usage with metatables and metamethods. First-class functions are also nice. Only kind of shitty things are the one-indexing, lack of shorthand assignment operators, ~ instead of !, and a few other things I can't recall right now.

you should actually use C, user

unless you like programming roblox and minecraft computers.

python is better xd

but seriously use C

Lua works really well with C for extending the program

u can get free blowies from some 30 year old aspie to do lua for his garrysmod server so i r8 10/10

Lua is the language you defer to your game "developers" because they're too retarded to write something in C++ without segfaulting

it's an inferior js. only reason to use it is because including v8.a into your project is a fuckload harder.

I only did some little extensions to my editor of choice, Howl, using Lua. I kinda liked it.

The choice of image makes this a loaded question.

Comfy and nice, I love it. Used it at work (openresty and as a tool language) and looking forward to dig into it more. Embeddabilty is amazing and it's quite elegant in its minimalism imho...too bad about the breaking changes among minor versions, but oh well

factorio uses it so its probably bretty gud

Wow, your comment is so constructive. Thanks.

Attached: this is you.jpg (750x1000, 35K)

use C, user

The irony is intolerable.

>made for simple automations and startup scripts
>not made for game scripting, although a bunch of faggots abuse it for it and regret it afterwards in some cases
>not made for writing stand-alone software
>devs clearly disregard other developers and don't attempt to keep it compatible to itself
>no consistent ecosystem
>limited C-API

4/10 still better than embedding Python I guess

Lua is ok, but it infected by list_tards

>bunch of faggots
The Blizzard

use C, user

Exactly (but not exclusively) who I'm talking about.

also you is retard

That is a witty and scathing response.

idk why wireshark uses it

Good for scripting.
Pretty good for prototyping.
The lack of a decent ecosystem (versions break stuff all the time) is the real barrier for anyone trying to learn it.
But I will always recommend it for C programmers. The integration is really nice, the overhead is low and you get duck typing and first class functions.

UMA DELÍCIA

Attached: 1517523136601.png (1328x1140, 89K)

It's a really nice language for extending your programs with scriptability.
I'm currently writing a project that uses C for the core functionality but most of the application logic is in Lua. It's been a joy to work with.

As others have said, it's cozy, tables are fun, and it's great for simple scripting tasks.

I've been doing some Project Euler problems in Lua lately and really enjoying the experience.

Just use moonscript to write it