I know that infinite scrolling loads things into RAM incrementally as you scroll...

I know that infinite scrolling loads things into RAM incrementally as you scroll, but why doesn't it also unload it from RAM as you keep scrolling and it goes off screen?

Attached: infinite-scroll-thumb.jpg (700x500, 25K)

Cache

On the off chance that you scroll up you’d have to reload the data. Especially for mobile users, this can be prohibitive to a pleasant experience.

Infinite scrolling in general is prohibitive to a pleasant experience.

Infinite scrolling is a technique a lot of shit companies use to keep you on their website. You get a consistent stream of dopamine, even if it's not good or even subpar content.

Paganation is what everyone should use, because most normies are not smart enough to have self control

i used to love it for manga sites (as an extension to load the next page, ie autopager) but it's shit for websites since you lose your place if you refresh.

It does, if it's not written by a retard.

>go to website
>want to click links at bottom
>website uses infinite scrolling
>disable javascript
>website disappears

Attached: 1512783007671.png (556x430, 81K)

Infinite scrolling is preferable when you have like 3 pages worth of content. The second that you have more though pages are infinitely better.

Poor based frogposter

me too

>open DOM view
>access link node directly

Makes more sense that these stupid garbage websites keep it in RAM.

Here is why I hate them, specially on websites: You go there because you're looking for something, press ctrl-f and type in the keyword BUT no, nothing is found because of this "infinite scrolling bullshit" so you have to scroll and scroll and waste time on that before you're able to do the search. I lot of sites that used to load the whole page at once have switched to this idiotic nonsense and it really does make them less usable. They don't load faster either.

> The infinite scroll doesn't let you click in a link in the footer

Attached: 1429480456659.png (483x442, 135K)

Bonus points for when the infinite scroll breaks the find box's attempt to scroll your page to where the item is visible.

You can do this. Its not hard. I've done it on a few apps I write. But you always get some faggoty retard who'se butthurt they cant immediately scroll to top.

I usually cache the top + 1000 or so pixels, and then a viewport of 1000px padding either side of the users viewport.

Just look up Twitter.... You do this by hiding the data but keeping the layout; then you cycle through the same 400 or so layout items, pushing them up along an array

>t. hackerman

Attached: Retribution.png (256x256, 77K)

Infinite scrolling uses infinite RAM. It's a scam by RAM manufacturers. Stop using this shit at once.

You should install a wedge on your mouse scroll wheel too so you don't go too far, because it's infinite too.

No footer for you frogman

This.
But I hate it.
Back in the day, it was simply
>read page
>click link
>read linked page
>click back
>be back where you clicked link
>continue
But now this is utterly broken.
If the link is actually still a link and not some javascript fuckery, going back just reloads the last page, leaving you stranded somwhere in the page.
So if you wanna avoid this, you have to open every single fucking link in a new tab.
But sorry Dave, I can't let you do that, the link is actually javascript…
so you have to inspect element or get to the page source and wade through all kinds of shit to finally get what you want.
And that's not even counting in having to run an adblocker that you often have to fine tune yourself to get the page to work.
Fuck the modern web.

blame smartphones

I blame SEO

I blame normies gobbling up shit

>trying to find an old youtube video on some account
>scroll down
>click 'load more'
>repeat both steps ten times
>accidentally click on a wrong video
>hit 'back'
>have to start from scratch

I hate this crap

>webshop before mobile fuckery: quick, loads all items immediately
>webshop after mobile fuckery: lagfest, can't scroll down without javascript trying to get one new picture at a time, can't scroll back up for the same reason
>everything is fischer-price sized, have to constantly tell it to use the old plain list to show more than three items because mobile screens are fucktiny

>infinite scroll
>scroll for a few minutes
>fans start spinning
>misclick
>lose position

Proper infinite scrolling would require the following:

>update URL with the current position so you don't lose your place after leaving the page
>unload previous results so you don't have 10,000 results loaded at once
>proper scrollbar behaviour; not sure you could do this unless each item has the same height so you can just make the page size = (static content + item height * count)

In any case, if you have an extension/javascript that simply lets the spacebar go to the next page when you've scrolled all the way down, there isn't much benifit to infinite scroll.

>but why doesn't it also unload it from RAM as you keep scrolling and it goes off screen?
ask the browser vendors...

If people wouldn't make websites so bloated that a browser can't handle 10 items at once you wouldn't need fancy scroll shit.

infinite scrolling is retarded. just go to wallhaven and scroll for a while and watch cpu and ram usage grow.