jeffcarey.bandcamp.com/album/decay-ep
pastebin.com/UaCR81TB
clyp.it/m3ukhihp
pastebin.com/dSrHz5Xv
envelopephilter.bandcamp.com/album/have-you-the-time-to-fall-away
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

bump

At least give some content or start a discussion. This is why generals are bad. We don't keep them alive to foster discussion about a topic we like - instead we keep them alive so they stay alive.

sorry

youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_fc6jMDcE
youtube.com/watch?v=ba6O4gALBUw
youtube.com/watch?v=6pjmP-FmcRg

People only post music on these generals. There's very little discussion if at all in these threads. Maybe people will talk about who they are gonna go see live, but that's it.

No talk about the music's qualities.

No memes.

Nothing.

horribly entry-level links, dude

to start a little discussion: what genres/artists are you guys listening to the most, except for noise?

for me it's industrial, ambient and certain types of metal

s-sorry

youtube.com/watch?v=R1q2BTX4zWY
youtube.com/watch?v=NNgWqi3JLp0

just trying to get th ethread going

>go to /noise/ general
>nice, a place that i can discuss noise music
>no one posts any discussion
>people mention this in meta-comments
>to get the ball rolling, someone asks the general to discuss literally any genre of music besides noise

stop spamming entry level shit that no one wants to discuss and discuss something you fucking idiot

I just found that people in these threads usually prefer the most diverse types of noise rather than a consensus of the genre (except newcomers like OP), so my assumption was that it might depend on the listening-habits outside of their noise groups. A small feedback of what those are would be interesting to me at least.

Does anyone know what disco song(s) were sampled on While You Were Out?

Well, great start. Newfriend OP - try not to post things that everybody has already heard years ago when first getting into noise.

Here's a wedding Fernow to lift spirits.

He's so happy.

Some dude on slsk just went offlilne, having the new "Masks" release by Sutcliffe Jugend. Was someone able to grab it?

I'm certain it's in the archive

afaik only "Offal" and "The Muse" leaked

Hi guys. I think this "music" is all unlistenable shit.

I'd like to do an experiment.

Could you please tell me who the progenitors of this "style" were?

I want to test a theory of mine.

Don't like it, don't come here.

You're the only people with the answers I seek.

Who were the poineers of this movement?

Who are the most respected in the field?

then you either haven't listened to enough of it, or fail to grasp the basic concept and are just outright narrowminded about art in general

to humour you though: it was largely a development out of british industrial music, and then converged with what the japanese were doing, who themselves were informed by free improv, krautrock, and jazz
cultural feedback between the two birthed the americanoise boom of the 2000s

>to humour you though: it was largely a development out of british industrial music, and then converged with what the japanese were doing, who themselves were informed by free improv, krautrock, and jazz
>cultural feedback between the two birthed the americanoise boom of the 2000s
Many thanks friend.

Got any names of those first few brits?

Actually thinking about this that was probably the wrong question.

It seems you think it hit its peak with the americanoise (not heard that before) offshoot.

I'm sure I remember hearing unlistenable walls of static and FX before then though. Definitely in the nineties at least.

>americanoise
This doesn't even have a wiki article.

Bump

There's no easy answer for that. You can trace the origins and influences back to the Italian Futurism movement but they wouldn't be considered "noise" by today's standard.

Today's interpretation of noise music as a movement is based on artists like The New Blockaders, Whitehouse or Maurizio Bianchi, the two latter more influential for the Power Electronics-sector. But noise as a genre has, as already stated, multiple origins, one being the Industrial movement initiated by Throbbing Gristle or even improv groups such as AMM.

you can trace similar experiments way back to musique concrete and electroacoustic artists - pierre schaefer and everybody involved with the groupe des recherches (probably spelled that wrong), morton subotnick etc

key brits: throbbing gristle, steven stapleton/nurse with wound, ramleh (and all broken flag activity), whitehouse,

important names in general are macronympha, dominick fernow/prurient (CRUCIAL imo), sam mckinlay/the rita, richard ramirez, ron lessard, skin crime, and then merzbow, hijokaiden, hanatarash, incapacitants, pain jerk, masonna

>unlistenable
please don't use that word

and yes, of course, i didn't mean to imply that americanoise was the 'birth' of noise in any way. nobody really got there first, at all. are you asking when the first harsh noise records came out, and who made them? or are you more concerned with flat out HNW?

unsurprising

Excellent answers, cheers lads.

>>unlistenable
>please don't use that word
I literally have to turn it off. I can not listen to it.

>> are you asking when the first harsh noise records came out, and who made them? or are you more concerned with flat out HNW?
I want to know as much about the first records. The origin of the scene is what interests me.

of course i overlooked a lot: futurism and dada laid the groundwork

groups like the haters and the new blockaders are veeeery important, too. they very much pioneered performance art (the haters was an art troupe first and foremost, only adopting noise at a much later date to provide a narrative/context) and concept in noise.

you should probably pick up a couple of books

check out
>Paul Hegarty - Noise/Music: A History
>David Novak - Japanoise: Music At The Edge Of Circulation

the first is pretty heavy going while the second is very easy to follow. both are extraordinarily well researched and provide an extensive reference list

I knew dada would be one of the influences. Saw it coming a mile off.
> (the haters was an art troupe first and foremost, only adopting noise at a much later date to provide a narrative/context) and concept in noise.

This doesn't surprise me.
Cheers, made a note of those titles.

>I literally have to turn it off. I can not listen to it.
sorry to hear. are you one of those standard Sup Forums guys who picked up veneorology or pulse demon on an off-handed comment? noise is an enormous world and there is much more to it than just harshness and static

it's sad that two of merzbow's worst works are parroted around by people clueless of the genre based off of nothing but their notoriety

I like everything apart from noise really. Grindcore, classical, ambient, metal, indie, (some) rap, country, jungle, techno, etc.

I'm fairly open minded.

>sorry to hear. are you one of those standard Sup Forums guys who picked up veneorology or pulse demon on an off-handed comment? noise is an enormous world and there is much more to it than just harshness and static
I've tried clicking about ten different random links from noise threads, couldn't tell you what they were. They all sounded awful.

I don't understand what your deal is? Just because you learn about the origins of a genre it isn't like you suddenly start to enjoy the more recent acts. It helps comprehending the ideas and the scenes in general but otherwise I don't see how you think all the information helps.

You mistake my intentions - I don't think learning about the start of the genre will make me appreciate it more.

He said he wanted to test a theory. I guess it will sound something like "haha ! because of the data I collected I can safely say that noise is retarded because x".

Listening to Offal from Sutcliffe Jugend right now, really good.

yellow swans - going places. should get you started

yeah, I assume something in the same vein

I'm the one who shared it in an former thread, glad you like it as well. For me power electronics-album of the year by now.

>He said he wanted to test a theory. I guess it will sound something like "haha ! because of the data I collected I can safely say that noise is retarded because x".
You're not that far off actually, but it wasn't that.
I had already done that by collecting data on it with my ears, and can firmly say it's retarded on that evidence alone.

>yellow swans - going places
Actually the least harsh tune I've ever heard reccommended in these threads. I didn't have to turn it off. Well, I did turn it off, but I could have stood it.

Skipped through to a few different parts of the album. Generic swooshy synth noises, very little melody, but at least it wasn't all just radio static sent through a distortion pedal.

this tells more about you, when the only non-negative reaction of yours comes from one of the most entry-level noise there is
just stay out of the genre if you can't process it

>just stay out of the genre if you can't process it
I'm already doing that. It's not what I put on to listen to when I want to hear music.

i for one love kazuma kubota a lot, always nice to see him mentioned

>I had already done that by collecting data on it with my ears, and can firmly say it's retarded on that evidence alone.
from - quote - "ten different random links"? come the fuck on. you didn't even finish the most entry level noise record of all time and you're already casting judgement.

i really hope for your own sake that you actually do some proper research into the genre, and either read something enlightening or find a record that you love, and you're not just another shitty Sup Forums tourist who is all too keen to mindlessly shit on something they don't understand

>from - quote - "ten different random links"? come the fuck on.
Why? This works with every other genre.

Why should noise be so special? The answer is that it isn't.

if you came across your favorite genre by doing exactly this, you might consider the possibility that you're just a shallow listener

Yeah yeah, I'm sure it's 2deep4me.

That's not what he's even saying you fucking moron, but way to prove him right regardless.

Well he was saying bullshit that had no context to the post he was replying to either, so he asked for it.

>if you came across your favorite genre by doing exactly this, you might consider the possibility that you're just a shallow listener
Have you ever found a new genre, listened to ten random artists from it, thought "this is unlistenable" and then later on go on to have that genre become your favourite?

No he wasn't, you're just an idiot. Try actually reading the post again. You said that listening to ten random links works for every artist, and he said that it doesn't, and that picking a favorite from that shows that you're a shallow listener because you're not exposed to the depths of the genre you want to explore. To which you responded with a meme that itself doesn't make sense to the context of the conversation. You really are just a newfag kid coming to Sup Forums for Death Grips aren't you?

>You said that listening to ten random links works for every artist,
Nope, I said it works for genre, not artist.

Please try reading things more carefully.

>You really are just a newfag kid coming to Sup Forums for Death Grips aren't you?
I'm an old fart who's probably old enough to be your dad.

Typo. Want to address the rest of the post?

Ten random artists does not necessarily demonstrate the entirety of a genre. You could literally have just clicked links to ten artists that copied one another or that sound the same and don't exhibit the depths of the applicable genre.

post the pastebin you fucking faggot pastebin.com/PhhV6eSx

no one gives a shit about entry level noise youtube links

First, it wasn't "ten random artists" but "ten random youtube videos" (I guess not even in full), and second, I personally found noise to be stupid as well, but got accustomed over the years and by now it's my favorite music, so there's that. So why does it seem impossible to you that your listening habits or your taste in general might change in a couple of years?

>Ten random artists does not blah blah blah
You didn't answer the question. I can only assume this is because you didn't like the answer you would be forced to give.

>So why does it seem impossible to you that your listening habits or your taste in general might change in a couple of years?
It seems unlikely that I will go from liking every genre apart from noise to liking every genre and noise as well.

It's been the only genre I've never seen the beauty in.

Just because someone never had that happen makes it impossible? How about having started into a genre in a different way than clicking ten random links? Are you stupid? How about you prove that ten random links demonstrates the depth of an entire genre like you're implying.

these generals really should be put out of their misery

>Just because someone never had that happen makes it impossible?
It makes it very fucking unlikely, let's just say that.
>How about having started into a genre in a different way than clicking ten random links?
Yes, I've done that plenty of times in the many decades I've been on this earth. We did listen to music before the internet you know.
>Are you stupid?
No.
>How about you prove that ten random links demonstrates the depth of an entire genre like you're implying.
This is a fallacy. I never said that. I said you could tell whether it was worth continuing to listen. In Every other case, for every other genre, I have said "yes, sure, I'll give it more of a chance". But not with noise. It's even called "noise", how stupid are you fucks that lap this up?

I bet there are no listeners and the only posters here are the idiots that shit out this crap.

Why is noise so special in that regards? Do you enjoy stuff like lowercase, field recordings, eai or musique concrete?

The only one of those I've heard of is field recordings and I wasn't even aware that was classed as music.

So someone can't enjoy sounds? Why are you here whining if you don't like it? You seem pretty upset about something people like. Let me guess, you think it doesn't take effort? Which means you don't actually know what you're talking about. Don't like it, don't come here.

i like noise. i put on albums to listen to regularly. why is this so unfathomable? i like the way it feels/makes me feel. yeah, it's different. but also there's nothing really to 'get'. yeah, it's named 'noise'. why do you expect it to be something more? it's sounds and I like hearing them while I do something else.

Why would noise be classified as music in your opinion then? Wouldn't it be way easier for your argument to dismiss it as "not even music", rather than admitting you're just not into (or even aware of) abstract music?

>So someone can't enjoy sounds?
I like proper soundscapes, like Eno's Music For Airports.
>Why are you here whining if you don't like it?
I got time to waste, and I wondered what the people who like this sort of music are like.
>You seem pretty upset about something people like.
Nope.
>Let me guess, you think it doesn't take effort? Which means you don't actually know what you're talking about. Don't like it, don't come here.
It takes very minimal effort.
I'm a musician. I play multiple instruments and have for probably longer than you have been alive.
I know exactly how much effort goes in.
Now this is pretty much the only response so far I can understand and dig. I get it.
I never really thought that no one would like it, I know some people do. I was just interested in the mindset.

>Why would noise be classified as music in your opinion then? Wouldn't it be way easier for your argument to dismiss it as "not even music", rather than admitting you're just not into (or even aware of) abstract music?
That's not an either or statement, I do both of those things.

>proper

Based on what? What you think is proper?

>It takes very minimal effort

It takes arrangement, mixing, mastering, production skills, and an ear for sounds and how to compose a complex track, along with use an know-how of equipment and audio. Many noise musicians also have plenty of experience in traditional music as well, incorporating them into their work. Some even craft their own instruments. Don't make claims about things you don't actually know about or have experience in.

guys, stop wasting your time with this old fuck who apparently isn't interested in a constructive discussion

What are some recent discoveries you made?

>It takes arrangement, mixing, mastering, production skills, and an ear for sounds and how to compose a complex track,
It takes none of that shit. just get a synth with some drone notes, a delay pedal and a distorion pedal and sit in a room and smell your own musicla farts for an hour. Voila, a noise album.
>along with use an know-how of equipment and audio.
Yes, you have to know how to plug the distortion pedal into the casio etc
>Many noise musicians also have plenty of experience in traditional music as well, incorporating them into their work. Some even craft their own instruments.
I hit pots and pans when I was a kid as well.
>Don't make claims about things you don't actually know about or have experience in.
I am a qualified sound engineer m8

Agreed. These threads almost always turn out to be very negative and filled with drama. It's embarrassing.

>It takes none of that shit

Great fucking argument

You could do a doubleblind test of the method I outlined and you would get something that sounded the same.

It would be like that famous experiment where they got chimps to do paintings and passed them off as modern art done by humans. Indistinguishable.

Yeah, I really wish the others in these threads would stop responding to anyone who comes in and tries to derail the conversation.

I've been rediscovering how much I love Incapacitants... Particularly "No Progress" and "Sarin Will Kill Every Bad Aum". Also I've been into Aaron Dilloway's Spine Scavenger project.

As for new discoveries, I got to see Jeff Carey perform a couple months ago. We live in the same city, but I never really had an opportunity to go to any shows he was playing at.
jeffcarey.bandcamp.com/album/decay-ep

I always liked Incapacitants more than Hijokaidan, the density always appealed more to me than the full band setup where you can still recognize the distorted guitars. I recently got the Box is Stupid-set and I'll try to power through it, perhaps on NBND.
Right now my favorite is As Loud As Possible and your mentioned releases are from the mid-nineties as well so someday I wondered if they were still good and listened to "Mon, Ma? Mon!!!" and was pleasantly surprised they're still doing well: recommended listen.

thanks for posting this, im only just getting into noise,
people have to start somewhere pleb

That's not his point. These threads severely lack discussion and mostly consist of link after link after link.

i know what his point was, but this thread has lots of discussion? its all good no need to start arguments my man

Then why don't you make a noise album if it's so easy and don't say it's beneath you because according to you the whole process is so simple chimps can do it

Goddamn it, if i were at home probably would have grabbed it

anyway, here's my pastebin from last thread

pastebin.com/UaCR81TB

i suggest people who share stuff do the same, maybe we can start the threads like /classical/ does. we kinda did for a time with Xern0n's

I'll post one later, thanks for the list

Rate my noise track Sup Forums

I'm too scared to post it in the /prod/ thread, last time I did that it didn't go well.
clyp.it/m3ukhihp

here's my small list I currently have: pastebin.com/dSrHz5Xv

It is all about arrangement of timbre.
Noise music crafts soundscapes across the planes of timbre. Clearly that is unenjoyable to you, but it is not easy to make a cohesive noise album. You are being quite arrogant.

Idk if /noise/ or /drone/ but Mammifer is an excellent group. Similar to Kevin Drumm. There's a female singer.

Mamiffer is more ambient drone/post rock and imo not really similar to KD. What releases of Drumm do you know?

I only know of "Everything's Going along as usual and then all shit breaks loose"
When I saw them live, a girl sang into a mic, and messed with its feedback. A guy played bass and messed with its feedback. A guy with guitar did the same. They held long droning feedback. It was almost wall like. Reminiscent of that release from Drumm.

hmm they've done an album with Daniel Menche, i'll look them up

Thank you so much

What do you make of these guys? They're a French duo.
envelopephilter.bandcamp.com/album/have-you-the-time-to-fall-away

Well that's not unusual that bands try more experimental settings for live gigs. I guess they played something which would fit in the "soft noise"-chart? Try the chart if you liked it and that Drumm-album is actually pretty good.

>It is all about arrangement of timbre.
I think these guys
>envelopephilter.bandcamp.com/album/have-you-the-time-to-fall-away
Are good at that.

>it's sad that two of merzbow's worst works

OUT

bump

>envelope philter
This is ungooglable.

Does anyone ever post anything in these threads that people don't like?

How do you tell the difference between good noise and bad noise?

How to unpleb?

This dude