What's your opinion on There's a Riot Goin' On and Fresh (pic related)?

What's your opinion on There's a Riot Goin' On and Fresh (pic related)?

I love them both but I would say I prefer Fresh, partly because of vid related.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Mld7eSaydI

>that eargasmic rhythm section around 1:39

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64672935
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64568903
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64543319
youtube.com/watch?v=uJZHm5_i1vI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>funk without acoustic drums

Andy Newmark did the drums on "Fresh", it wasn't a drum machine like on Family Affair

Just listen to the song I posted, is there any way a drum machine in 1973 could have sounded like that?

bump

bump

Oh and don't forget Small Talk

there's a riot goin' on is basically the pinnacle of american popular music, in my opinion. so fucking beautiful and perfect. extremely funky, obviously. I should probably listen to more of their material.

Fresh is really good too, funky as fuck but more upbeat. And it's jazzier too, the horns are more prominent.

what the fuck is up with this new meme

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64672935
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64568903
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S64543319

it's not a meme. I just haven't been able to have a good discussion about this band yet.

that's because extremely few people on this board listens or even cares about funk music besides the token albums in the Sup Forumscore charts. go on funk forums if you want to talk about this band

>Sup Forumscore pleb detected

>What's your opinion on There's a Riot Goin' On and Fresh (pic related)?

Stand is better than both

I have to listen to Stand in full, I've only heard Higher so far.

What's cool about pre-1970 Family Stone, they were on their shit and not riddled by Sly's drug addiction. Their performance at Woodstock was incredible, they stole the show.

Fresh all the way
It has if you want me to stay

Sly and the Family Stone from 1969 to whatever year Fresh came out are probably the best funk act outside of James Brown, maybe better.

Their funk was busier than James Brown's IMO, I think I like it even more.

youtube.com/watch?v=uJZHm5_i1vI

so dirty

True. Riot really captures what I would think the vibe of the country was at the time. Disillusioned because love didn't conquer the world by the end of the sixties. The production has this sort of grimy sound (probably in part from the millions of overdubs) I've never heard anywhere else. It's got the highs and the lows too, easily in my top 10.

stfu nerd

the progression from Stand to There's a Riot truly is a sad depiction of America's transition to the 70s along with Sly's terrible drug addiction at that point.

Yeah, 1970-1972 seemed to have a shitty vibe. Some people say Altamont killed the 60s but I don't agree with that, it was a culmination of things.

Riot definitely does have a unique, dark sound, and it's very funky.

Sly also did a lot of the album by himself, and in the process he did some innovative shit.

Yeah I agree. But Fresh is way more upbeat and I like it, I think from like 1973 to 1979 there was a good vibe which is reflected in Fresh and Small Talk.

However, Sly himself continued to go further downhill, and it got so bad that in January 1975 they did a show and only 1/8 of the tickets were sold. I'm guessing that was due to a reputation of him not showing up to his own concerts. It also seems like they barely even played any of their 70s music at their shows.

Sly seems to be doing alright now except he can't really perform at all, his voice is totally shot. Which is sad because everyone else in the band would totally be able to do a show still, except for Cynthia Robinson who passed away last year.