Firefox 59 release

Another 6 weeks another update. This one is pretty boring just a few privacy changes and some changes to webextension APIs and protocols. This would have been the ESR release but that got pushed back to may with firefox 60.
archive.is/s6bPO

Attached: 1518434470205.jpg (1939x1836, 659K)

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-tab-groups/
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/59.0/win64-EME-free/en-US/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1278282#c76
pastebin.com/raw/ZS17Cvk7
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/power-tabs/
gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201708-201803
vsynctester.com/
addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-urls-expert/)?
addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-selected-links/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-multiple-urls/
addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-all-tab-urls-we/?src=search
github.com/Rapptz/power-tabs/issues
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When are the 'Quantum' performance improvements (WebRender, etc.) going to show up in FF Android?

FF57 only brought on a cosmetic change, and they still called it 'Quantum'.

>Experimental Tab Hiding API is available.

So it should be possible to complete this plugin soon: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-tab-groups/

Good

Does that mean WATERFOX gets it too

If waterfox decides to base off firefox 59 yes. If I recall it's based off pre 57 right now. Isn't there also an ESR version of waterfox?

Actually I know that waterfox backports updates from new releases so it should get it

Firefox and android is fast for me. Have you updated? Im on 58

Attached: Screenshot_20180313-075508.jpg (1080x1566, 228K)

And retards thought firefox wouldnt keep working on APIs with the major overhaul. Theres still a lot coming.

I can't wait for icecat 60 to be released

>incompatible webextension extensions
why bother? no, why change to webextensions in the first place if it will remain a broken shit api anyway?
>inb4 security
oh noes, something ive installed on my computer has access to the computer OoO

Not only is it more secure, see container tabs, but its a lot more stable. They dont have to worry about breaking extensions because of the smallest update either. Have you researched any of this?
Its still a WIP but I know you'll keep being a salty nigger about it.

Here's the patrician version for windings plebs
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/59.0/win64-EME-free/en-US/

they need to get rid of the rust dependency tho

>pretty boring
not for gnu/linux
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1278282#c76

Friendly reminder how to install Firefox on Linux to enjoy auto updates
pastebin.com/raw/ZS17Cvk7
support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164411#answer-978198

Or this:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/power-tabs/
Which is even better.

Thanks user

gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201708-201803

>release Quantum Firefox
>lose marketshare

Attached: 1520443709478.png (500x387, 114K)

its because rust is bloat and the ui comes with ugly spaces too.

Use GNU/Icecat please

>caring about what others use
And NO

I'm on the latest beta (v59b15). It is nowhere as fast as Chrome or Brave, although it is much faster than it was 6-12 months ago.

its going to get the rust bloat too

With all the techies switching to Waterfox and Pale Moon and normies to Chrome there isn't much reason for Firefox to exist. XUL forever.

Meant to reply to you (instead of myself):

On my device they are about equal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol, without firefox, waterfox and palemoon would stagnant since they wont have new code to stea- implement.

None of the 'techies' outside of you ne/g/beards are considering moving to any trash forks of FFx.

Well then what do I switch to when ESR 52 dies this september?

It is obvious. Switch to trunk. Grow up and find more important things to worry about.

>typical "secure&stable" response
memory consumption and process spawning stats would disagree but believe in what you want
>They dont have to worry about breaking extensions because of the smallest update either.
sjwzilla literally they broke every single addon with the introduction of webextension, under the premise that it would allow addon installation between different browser vendors. it is not the case, never was and by the looks of it NEVER WILL
>Have you researched any of this?
>researched
how much is sjwzilla paying you for this post?

So much ignorance in one post. Impressive.

Also
>muh resource usage
lol

Attached: 564564.png (3840x2160, 694K)

So when is Mozilla going to fix their horribly broken vsync?

vsynctester.com/

>no tab crash stats
>lol
outstanding

>memory consumptio
only on windows
it's the same on linux
number of processes could be a factor

Different user, but I havent had a crash yet. How to show them?

forgot pic related

THANKS MOZILLA

Attached: who is taking the lead in here.png (1080x595, 44K)

>ignorance
you are the ignorant one here
stop regurgitating everything they pay you to say

Did firefox 59 drop GTK2 like it was supposed to?

No user, you are retarded.

yes

no csd tho

Really?

>vsynctester.com/
what a load of crap

there is no tearing in the linux version since 57(?)

Can the window title bar on Linux finally be hidden in this version so the window controls are on the same line as the tabs like it has been on Windows forever

use KDE and set the window decorations and borders to be hidden

What the fuck?

Attached: firefox_2018-03-13_21-06-56.png (1477x905, 152K)

no sale until they bring back legacy addons :^)

hardware acceleration completely fucked in this release

do they even test this shit

t. Mozilla

HEY LET'S COMPLETELY FUCK UP THE MAJORITY OF ADDONS AND REDUCE THE ABILITY OF MANY THAT REMAIN TO MODIFY AND CUSTOMIZE THE BROWSER

because we know what you want from our browser better than you ;^D

Are you faggots unironically excited about a browser update. I can't imagine how empty your lives must be

Thanks mozilla

Attached: 2018-03-13_21-34-16.webm (1888x962, 2.7M)

no, because it's necessary.

This update killed mozilla.cfg for me.

What happened?

I get the "Failed to read the configuration file" error. Removing both the configuration js and cfg solves the issue, but obviously I lose the settings that are changed.

I just rolled back to a previous version of firefox and everything works fine, so it's something in 59 that is fucked, which by now isn't surprising at all.

Weird, no issues on W10 or Xubuntu here

Ive been trying to switch people to Firefox. If the normies are going to use any piece of software, it ought to be FOSS. Support FOSS in anyway you can, Sup Forums

It’s just as powerful as Chrome anyway.

What the hell, ctrl+f doesn't work anymore.

>tfw still using firefox 55
it just werks.

of course they did. no point using a poor man's chrome

Thank you, user. This addon looks pretty cool.
I wonder why it only has ~60 users.

does this group tabs by trees, or is it just a label you put them under? can you move multiple tabs into or out of the labels? can you copy url of multiple tabs?

is there a firefox quantum extension to load a bunch of urls at once (like addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-urls-expert/)?

I imagine it's because right now there are a ton of new WE addons being created, so it's hard to be noticed among them (especially with such a generic name and shitty icon).
Also it only started working today on the mainstream release.

>does this group tabs by trees, or is it just a label you put them under?
It doesn't make trees like TreeStyleTabs but it puts them under a group and hides the ones in te other groups from the tab bar.

>can you move multiple tabs into or out of the labels
yes.
You can select them with ctrl/shift+click and drag them to another group.

>can you copy url of multiple tabs?
I don't think so.
I use FoxyTab for that (among other things).

>is there a firefox quantum extension to load a bunch of urls at once (like addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-urls-expert/)?
I don't know, but it'd be useful.
I always did this by dragging them into a bookmark folder then copying the bookmarks, but I imagine if you needed to copy hundreds of urls it could get tiring.

I found one:
addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-selected-links/

>Also it only started working today on the mainstream release.
Make sense.
I just noticed it's bugged as fuck, it doesn't preserve groups on browser restart. There's no point in using it now.

You can open the URLs with this:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-multiple-urls/

this copies text to url. i want to copy the urls of the address bar/current opened tabs and save them to a text file

also fucking 4chanx. i started getting captcha errors yesterday or so, and even after switching to tampermonkey they're still happening

Is there any better addon available?

Then you can use this:
addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/copy-all-tab-urls-we/?src=search

when you open a tab in a group, does it open the new tab beside the current one? or is it thrown outside the groups and you have to move it inside one? i recall trying quantum before and that was how the one extension that had a similar feature worked, and it was terrible

>its because rust is bloat

implying the masses care about stuff like this. it's more like 'muh deprecated extensions' -- and i can sympathize with that. fuck firefox quantum

>when you open a tab in a group, does it open the new tab beside the current one? or is it thrown outside the groups and you have to move it inside one?
It opens it in the current group (or if you have the sidebar open you can click on the "+" button on a group's title to open it there).

Is in on Nightly?

Anons, why do you use a subpar webbrowser?
>old versions are slow
>new versions have no plugins
>UI changes with every major version
>builtin ads coming soon
>mozilla installs plugins for you
>when was the last time you could use hangouts? 2014?
>crashes

This is on the same level as Windows 10 cancer. I really see no fucking reason to use Firefox. Why do you?

because the other browsers are worse. firefox was the linux of browsers, before mozilla fucked it up

Fuck, I just noticed now.
Oh well, the way I use it (as a replacement for Tab Groups) it's not really a problem.
I can just move them back to the right group after restoring the session if I have to.

There's a github for it if you want to open an issue:
github.com/Rapptz/power-tabs/issues

>anime group separated from entertainment

Attached: nekopara.jpg (900x770, 210K)

>Oh well, the way I use it (as a replacement for Tab Groups) it's not really a problem.
Not really a problem? I'd like to use it as a panorama replacement too, but I can't fix >100 tabs every time I have to restart the browser.
If it doesn't remember witch tab is in witch group I'd say it's totally useless.

wrong

Attached: ajdsjfld.png (329x90, 10K)

The only add-on I want is Vimperator.

firefox is infested with drm, cliqz/pocket spyware malware, telemetry will ignore user settings to disable it, mr robot adware and fake news in the newtab... its honestly far worse than google is.
there is a dire need for something like iceweasel that strips out all the cancer; but even that would be pointless as the performance of quantum is horrible, and leaks all kinds of fingerprinting crap and does nothing to resolve the hacky kludges of global menu and gtk/qt integration.
ill miss the addons, but i think its finally time to kiss firefox goodbye

>wiretapping your distro

Firefox > Chrome
More control and speeds are about the same. Chrome cant properly block ads and doesnt have as many good extensions and shit UI control. The fact that Chrome is a major ad company with a browser that will gather your data no matter what is should be enough reason not to use it.

try vimium

>ill miss the addons, but i think its finally time to kiss firefox goodbye
And exchange it with what, exactly?

short term, any number of firefox derivatives: iicecat, palemeem, seamonkey, cyberfox, kmeleon, or basilisk for as long as they support necessary addons, but longer term (most of these will be kill without upstream) qupzilla adblock/greasemonkey support might be the only sustainable option, shit as it is

nope but you're free to load any up to date distro [ not gnome or kde; x11 no compositor, something with i3 ] and get firefox to prove me wrong

protip
>you can't

Stable. Tried safe mode with clean profile but same shit.

>and speeds are about the same
lol

#reader-toolbar { display:none !important;}
doesn't werk no more?