Was this peak technolo/g/y?

Attached: 25yyk2d.jpg (1024x768, 308K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4320144/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Not Amiga 2000, NEC PC-98, or the GODLIKE Sharp X68000
>IBM
Nope. Not even close.

Sharp's X68 series was the peak computer system for both home and work at the time PC from your pic was any relevant. Unfortunately (or actually fortunately enough), it was only available to the Nihonjin master race.

No, but this IS!
only $12,599 goy

Attached: IMG_1788.jpg (452x420, 37K)

No. This was a peak of technology

Attached: realcalculator.jpg (620x350, 56K)

No

Attached: images(12).jpg (554x554, 34K)

Why does this look surreal

wow that PC looks comfy as fuck

poin n click adventure
good old times
can't play those anymore, too less interactivity, figuring out what is clickable and what not weird riddles you either spend a hundred hours to figure out or have to use a walkthrough

Great computer. Certainly one of the best architectures ever. But honestly, Commodore keyboards were shit to type on. A2000 keyboard was probably the best, but still shit.

Agree. Playing Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Fate of Atlantis on an IBM PC back in the early 90s was very comfy.

Do cases of this color not come out anymore?

you just brought back a shit load of memories there.
It looks like an Ambra 386 or 486.
Ambra were a subsidiary of IBM it was one of the first desktop computers I had in my home that I could afford at the time. I think prior to that I had an Elonex 386

not implying it is an ambra just sayin it looks like one

New ones I don't think so.

not since the Matrix made everyone want black cases

ah the old Ibm 370 series unless I am mistaken or the 360

Cases of that material (ABS plastic) and color always yellowed out after a few years, perhaps they would be nice if they made them out of something else.

Just retrobright it bro

Attached: 19534077_114391852507928_3281591873000439808_n.jpg (480x480, 52K)

>one of the best architectures ev--
*BLOCKS EVERYONE'S PATH*

Attached: X68.jpg (1280x801, 57K)

Isn't the yellowing caused by the process which is supposed to make the plastic non-flammable? I have these two keyboards from the late 90's and one of them is not turning yellow for some reason.

Attached: yellow.jpg (1333x1000, 636K)

Its caused by oxidation due to UV degradation, so if you stored them in places with different UV conditions that might be the reason.

If you want more info:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4320144/

Of course they might also just be made of a different material.

That's sunlight in the photograph and the keyboard is exposed to it every day, yet it doesn't turn yellow.

You can use Retr0Bright to clean the case.

Attached: after_eight_hours.jpg (405x261, 15K)

You have to be joking.

Seems likely, I have other devices of the same colour too like a scanner from the early 00's. Not yellowed either. This just means we could have comfy beige cases again with no fear of them getting yellowed.

Kek

Not in the slightest, kid. Bend over and fully accpet it with no lube:

Attached: S.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

because of the image quality and the color saturation

no shadows

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

>not amiga 1200

Attached: 1520410964551.png (963x973, 757K)

*grabs you by the throat*

Attached: 01[1].jpg (1711x1200, 456K)

nice colours

How do you even use this with a desk so cramped?

That is a beautiful computer. Fucking nips.

aesthetic

Games are for children and faggots. They are he only things Japanese computers could do well.

Stop being such a newfag, you soyboying piece of shit.
FMT was WAAAY less powerful than the GODLIKE Sharp X68, and I'm not even going to mention UPGRADES for X68 platform. X68 was DE FACTO most powerful mainstream home & work computer system you could EVER get out there IN THE ENTIRE WORLD during the pre-Pentium era.

X68 was most poerful computer at the market at the time, you dumb shithead, It did BOTH gaymen AND serious work extremely well, ebtter than any other system you could get on the entire fucking worldwide hardware market at the time. X68 is SO POWERFUL that it syaed abso-fucking-lutely relevant right until the day 333MHz Pentium II came out.

Yep, Monkey island was the pinnacle.

That's just a showcase table, mang. Come on.
X68 was THE most slickest and comfiest computer system you could ever get on the worldwide hardware market back in the days of it's relevance (which ended only when Pentium II came out). And it didn't just look super-sexy and sleek as fuck, it was also an absolute fucking BEAST performance & features-wise.

Attached: 68000.jpg (2585x1939, 782K)

If women still dressed like that, even I'd hire one.

Uh, no. That would be the Amiga. Literally the only think Sharp's 68k computer had over some Amiga models was clockspeed.

Are you fucking INEPT?
Even top Amiga, which was RARE and EXPENSIVE, was waaay less powerful than even stock (not even mentioning upgraded) X68. X68 was DE FACTO most powerful mainstream openly selling computer system IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD back at the days. It's relevance LITERALLY ended only when Pentium II came out.

You already claimed that. You are wrong.

seeing sub 19" screens always triggers me. i have no idea how i was able to deal with shit

Nice non-argument, you autistic spicshit.
Look, you dumb cretin, back in late 80s and then throughout the majority of early and mid 90s I've actyally OWNED both Amiga (in 2000 variant and a top one) and X68000 (both stock and upgraded), as well as MSX2 (also +) and PC-88 with PC-98. I know fully damn well on my own personal user experience which was the absolute top dog of them all back in the days. And it was Sharp's GODLIKE X68000. I never deny that Amiga was amazing, but it NEVER was as downright PERFECTLY FLAWLESS as X68 was.

Try backing up your claim. Beyond being good for useless game shit why was Sharp's X worth owning?

>implying consumer machines could ever be peak

Attached: SGI_Indigo.jpg (688x613, 167K)

>why was Sharp's X68 worth owning
Are even for fucking real, nigger?
It was the best performing home computer at the time.
It was best looking (just fucking LOOK at it. Compared to this SMEXY BEAUT, Amiga looked like fucking school class box from Tandy Computers or some other crap like that) home computer at the time.
It was comfiest (takes less space than others, supports myriad of peripherals out of the box, has amazing compatibility with software, HAS A FUCKING HANDLE BUILT IN EACH AND EVERY CASE) home computer at the time.
It had best hardware (out of all home computer systems which you could get on the worldwide hardware market at the time) inside of it. The system was always very cool and silent, even at most highest workloads.
It was priced very reasonably and competitively.
It could be upgraded even further and upgrade could be done manually with relative ease.

Oh shit, those games were fun when I was a kid. Anyone play the Indiana Jones ones?

Best performing in what regard? Your other points are just nonsense.

Any computer made before the total penetration of the internet into all aspects of computing was "peak technology".

These days a computer without an internet connection is regarded as almost half a computer,

I was watching some old computer adverts the other day, and one recurring theme that I noticed was the emphasis on what could be done with it by itself. Compare that to the entirely consumer, browser/app based, presentation (and manufacture and design) of today.

First post, best post.
Came here to say that.

Attached: 001.jpg (1280x1918, 231K)

Is the X68 fanboy here just shitposting or actually retarded?
Jesus Christ how much of a loser for a dead machine can you be to defend it this much on a knitting forum.

It's a good machine, that's kind of it, standing in the top with the others for it's time. But disregarding the machine so much with retarded arguments, shameful.

You can still unplug from the internet and continue using your PC, user. Wtf are you sayng?

>Is the X68 fanboy here just shitposting or actually retarded?
Sounds like he's from /vr/. They have a weird collection of Japanese computer enthusiasts over there.

I think you missed the point I was making.

Best performing in every task you'd throw at it.
Why I'm even bothering answering you any anymore? You've clearly show to be one of those idiots that produce non-arguments.

Why are you so vague? You'd think if you love a computer so much you'd know how it functions.

I think we're all just a bit too addicted to internet. We CAN do without it, I mean it's physically possible. Like it was possible back then. Same deal, install programs, use physical media to transfer data between PCs. Easy peasy. The problem is we're all spoiled beyond what's capable of being expressed in words alone.

Attached: il_fullxfull.367286097_a7ax.jpg (792x512, 123K)

If you don't keep all your workstation components behind a tiny glass panel that can't be removed without letting dust particles in between the glass and screen panel while simultaneously being almost impossible to service, I don't know what the heck you're doing pal....

>Why does this look surreal
Because it's a 1960s advertising shot. It is not someone's candid photo of his workplace. >wow that PC looks comfy as fuck
It was made by a contractor to IBM's specs.
Nearly all of IBM's PS/2s were microchannel-based but the market didn't understand it so they kept asking for ISA-based PCs. This was the result.
IT staff for most customers weren't professionals, they were just hobbyists who had wangled a job in IT because HR didn't understand their qualifications, or lack of them. The result was that they ordered the PCs they wanted for home.

>It looks like an Ambra 386 or 486.
But the brand is Aptiva.

It's not just that, but a lot of software doesn't come with paper manuals, meaning an internet connection is necessary in order to learn how to use it, or you have to buy a third party book.

And manuals are usually so poorly written these days that online access in order to find out how to do certain things is also almost required.

different brands use different materials from different factories, you can't really compare these two apples to apples

>ah the old Ibm 370 series unless I am mistaken or the 360
It's a s/360 Mod 40.
That hurdy-gurdy in the background looks like a document reader, a 1287 perhaps. It used a whirling light-dot that followed the edge of the printed character. Any unresolved characters appeared on the CRT to the right for the operator to guess at. Mostly used for reading utility meter-reader reports .

True, I used to have a sea of MSDN CD's lying around, nowadays stack overflow and google prove way more efficient

Still if you know some particular tool well, you can use it offline without a problem. Maybe you download a reference guide and that's it

What part of "it performed better than the competition at every task, regardless if gaming or any other kinds of tasks" you don't get? It was faster when doing literally anything and everything, it was cooler and quieter than the competition, it was easier to use and upgrade than the competition, it looked much better than the competition's offerings, it was way more reliable/was built more solidly/used better materials than the competition, and it was priced reasonably well in comparison to competition's offerings. It was literally dominating over competition on each and every field imaginable. Literal FLAWLESS PERFECTION. What's so hard to understand there?

Sit the fuck down, computelets. I'll show you how a real man does his retro computing.

Excellent taste.

Attached: tezro.jpg (476x430, 96K)

>What part of "it performed better than the competition at every task, regardless if gaming or any other kinds of tasks" you don't get?
It's too vague.
>It was faster when doing literally anything and everything
Such as?
>it was cooler and quieter than the competition
A bit irrelevant.
>it was easier to use and upgrade than the competition
Easier to upgrade? No. They were all easy to upgrade. Easy to use? In what way?
>it looked much better than the competition's offerings
Irrelevant.

Do you have any points at all or do you just like it? It's fine to say you're just a fan of the computer.

>posting a devkit
>we're talking strictly about mainstream home/work computers of the era here
KYS.

As I said, computers just don't seem as "useful" by themselves as they used to, or maybe it's more that we expect so much from them that "only" being as useful as those older computers seems like a step-down simply because you can't play music/video or browse the Rich UX web. But I do think consumer software isn't quite the same in terms of its computer-centric presentation, like for example the move from command-line to GUI and WYSIWYG which does it's best to mirror reality rather than be a computer's own "reality" that is then translated.

I wonder what the rate of eye strain would be if we designed software based on the old colorations of the past (grey on black/dark blue).

>it haz to be mainstream hurr durr
What are you, poor? You know you'd buy one if you could afford it, you poorfag.

Attached: gteaEbu3NJ4EfXolUgzpIN9cSvHf4DUBxA7sAyqpYr0.png (320x356, 62K)

Is that a computer or a boombox?

Before...

Attached: evolution-of-the-desk-designboom-02.jpg (818x545, 139K)

...After.

Attached: evolution-of-the-desk-designboom-04.jpg (897x596, 48K)

It's a boombox that runs System V UNIX, sucks your dick, and makes you dinner. It also costs $100k.

Attached: TheBiggestBrain.jpg (680x598, 43K)

Misses a bottle of soylent.

>*shakes up and down rapidly with joy*

Attached: 1515268697925.png (1159x665, 231K)