Are these trendy offices legit?

>Be me
>Be freshman in college
>Taking courses and shooting for CCNA certification
>Have exhausting mind dulling job loading boxes at UPS
>Mention to my father that I had been looking for a different job
>Dad knows a guy who works at a trendy tech place in Chicago, hooks me up.
>Look at pictures of tech dude's company, Trendy tech INC. Office looks like pic related
>I don't think I'm attractive enough to work here
>Take to Tech dude on phone, cool guy.
>Talks about the company
>They have free beer fridays
>Whatthefuck
>Shows me an opening for a well paying entry level position doing tech support for SQL server stuff
>Have never used SQL, he tells me it's fine and I only need to have basic knowledge of SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, BEGIN/ROLLBACK TRAN, and TABLE JOIN.
>Start studying, stuff makes sense
>Pay seems good, they also offer to cover tuition, fits my schedule too.

Alright. Are these trendy "we bike to work and have free beer every Friday" offices actually as good as they look? What's the fucking catch here? Am I just too used to places where everyone wants to off themself?

Attached: cool office.jpg (1362x800, 207K)

too green didnt read

Open offices cause a lot of distractions and are noisy. If you're young and not doing anything incredibly brain consuming, you'll be fine w/ a pair of solid noise cancelling headphones w/ music blaring all the time. They chose this layout because its cheaper not due to any perceived benefits for employees. Free beer fridays are a thing. If you're young and starting out, this is a fun setup. You'll grow beyond it as you get older/more experienced and start doing real work. It is fine for now.

Alright cool. Like I said I've never actually held a job in a skilled labor field before and these "We're all so cool and laid back also want free booze?" offices seemed like things only really skilled and highly trained programmers/architects might be involved in. I've been kind of confused as to why I would be allowed to get involved.

>free beer fridays
Absolutely degenerate. A ploy to get more estrogen into your body.

Attached: SAVE ME FROM THIS HELL.jpg (257x195, 26K)

Nah man that's standard startup format.
The high level guys have sound proof offices away from the sand lot that you'll be in. The 'open office meme' is to cut cost for cubicle walls/etc. They slap some desks together and cram you guys in elbow to elbow. Free booze is a thing... It's bait, don't ever get drunk at the office and yeah Friday boozefest is extended work hours if you're not catching on. It's a way for everyone to wind down and conduct relaxed mindshare w/o pay. Enough red-pills... if its a solid gig enjoy it. You're young and will have lots of fun. It's comfy

Those kind of open offices aren't the best to work in, especially when there are phone calls and conversations involved, they tend to get tiring and to put your out of your focus zone regularly. I'd advise for getting good headphones and establishing early on that you work better when wearing them.
The other pitfall of this kind of company is that the nice looking office and laidback (at first glance) work culture is here to catch the eye and turn you away from looking into their turnover numbers. There are high risks that the projects you'll be doing tech support on are a nightmare to deal with, either on the technical side or the functional side.

it's actually the opposite
highly trained programmers//architects wouldn't be out in the open like that

I worked at facebook for 5 years, worked at AutoDesk for 1 year, and have currently been working at a "Startup" for the last year

The offices are legit. Theres free food and beer and attractive women everywhere

Study hard OP

Could you imagine working there at 40?

This would be a great starting job, but leave within 3 years max if it's still around then.

Biz won't be around in 5 years.... SJW Lib-tards think money grows on trees

If you don't have flashing florescent lights overhead and a metal desk circa 1985 you don't have a real office enviro

I interviewed for a small startup. When they told me the owner's dog was the CCO, Chief Cuteness Officer, I knew I didn't want to job.

Aww that's so cute though. You sound like a prude.

Its tempting at first but those offices and the company culture associated with it gets really annoying really fast.

Company was founded in 2001.

Go for it OP. It'll be fun

Enjoy getting nothing done as your coworkers do jack shit around you. It's OK though you can take your work home or stay late! Glad I left open office hell after a year and a half

>When they told me the owner's dog was the CCO
You should have countered their offer, and asked to be the HFIC, Head Faggot In Charge

Alcohol is poison - Ruins people, minds, and relationships.
Find a company that hands out psychedelics instead.

They're good. I work at a nice one, attrition rate is

>Theres free food and beer and attractive women everywhere
OP here, do they open vagena?

I got a tour of a google office in Chicago. It looked like an overblown Kindergarten classroom. I wouldn't want to work there.

Kek

You got it completely wrong. Those are the kind of offices that are populated by really young people that might have the potential to become great but still don't have much experience and "think" everyone being in the same room with shit happening all the time would be fun. They hire mainly fresh graduates since they are easy to wow and then lose them just as quickly after they gained a bunch of experience and move on to more professional places that offer more competitive wages and are more conductive to actually getting work done.

>What's the fucking catch here? Am I just too used to places where everyone wants to off themself?

Once I started working in one of them I had an existential crisis. I know that sounds dramatic, but you will see, the fakeness of the whole thing will just absolutely crush you if you have any semblance of decency in you.

Everyone puts on this smile and lies that their life is good, but working in a place like that feels like a perpetual episode of Black Mirror where everyone knows that they are being absolutely bent over and fucked in the ass work-life balance wise, but they have to pull this charade of happy families.

Working in a place like this will make you want to kill yourself once you have your third conversation about that long-form article the NYTimes posted last weekend. Everyone talks about the same boring stuff in an effort to appear normal.

I worked at a tech start up for two years. Aside from the insufferable people and crushing liberalism, the office environment itself was extremely uncomfortable and not conducive to work. They have bright colors, fun knick knacks, and "amenities", but they prove to be stupid distractions. People are slobs and can't clean up after themselves. The kitchen was always a mess and the common areas were destroyed quickly. Usually you'd have the same brain dead office slackers hanging out in these areas. There are no cubicles so privacy is nonexistent. Some offices have these little meeting rooms you can go into but considering there was no way of figuring out who was in there or who reserved it, I was usually interrupted 1-2 per 1 hour meeting. Finally, the white noise in the office is deafening and you can hear every little thing everyone does because of the open concept. I wish we could go back to cubicles, it was great and you could just be left alone and get shit done all day long without retards bothering you.

Attached: IMG_1057.jpg (639x624, 65K)

Take the job, OP, even if it might be shit.
>looks better on your résumé than loading boxes
>gives you first-hand experience of working at an open office, so you'll have an easier time deciding whether you want to work at some random company with open offices when you're looking for a new job five years from now

They exist, but get ready for crunch hours because production is very slow and everyone goes desperated when it is close to deadline.

Seconding this question.

Questions you should be asking:
1) Is the company's product promising?
2) Are there experienced engineers to learn from?

The perks are nice to have but learning is the most important.

You say you want to get CCNA certification, does networking interest you more? This is probably hard to judge until you try a variety of companies/roles/industries.

make sure you get an in-person interview so you can actually see whether or not you can deal with it. personally if the place was blaring shitty indie pop all day, i couldnt do it.
ask how they get shit done (probably some form of agile), what's their weekly cadence like.
ask what the typical hours are like.
ask the interviewers how they'd describe where they work to friends/family.