/prod/ - Music Production General

'use the OP cunt' edition

>Production Resources
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

Soundcloud links are not welcomed here. Use Clyp.it instead.

Remember to check other peoples clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/cfvxp1m4
clyp.it/45lxtpjh
clyp.it/2crw5dd3
clyp.it/dqz2bzge
clyp.it/r10vlwgh
clyp.it/pbr2ddd5
clyp.it/r43tqy1h
clyp.it/fazr1gr1
clyp.it/ze5x3hyt
clyp.it/lokimflm
clyp.it/zcclt4x2
clyp.it/tq4equdv
youtu.be/bj-BPvcf5sw
youtu.be/bQbLyEPKGMM
clyp.it/zpdfayuj
clyp.it/xorghe23
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

dump pictures of cool production setups

this is weens from the 90s

Why did you make another thread?

clyp.it/cfvxp1m4

so everybody can check the production resources in the OP

oh

I love my mom too much.

Nooooo me mom

>confession time

I find poorfags like this incredibly annoying. Like we get it, you're poor and only work on gear you bought at the local salvation army. and the icing of the cake is how they always show a messy as fuck studio as a way of saying BOO HOO LOOK AT ME SO POOR YET SUCH AN ARTIST BEING CLEAN AND NEAT IS FOR THE BOURGEOIS

We get it, you're poor and dirty and omg a true starving arstist, but ffs arrange your fucking studio, lrn2 patchbay/efficient wiring, and srsly nobody cares about your volcas and pawn shop fx pedals and casio keyboards

Yeah I definitely want the Sample rather than the Beat. It's a bit annoying to have the extra step with the phone to sample things but you're right about how it would be a pain to edit the samples otherwise. I think I'll get the Keys and the Sample and a 1994 Korg keyboard I found on cl and I can use that as a controller for the keys and on it's own to work on my piano skillz. Still don't really know if I want the keys or bass though, right now I'm leaning toward the keys.
Thanks for the help everyone.

i am actually also looking for tips on how to achieve a mura masa type beat like the previous OP. anyone got any ressources to share?

clyp.it/45lxtpjh
here's a demo I made late last night, I tend to overthink compositions so I tried to make something as fast as I can with as little second guessing as possible. definitely rough as hell but with some work might be a fun track?

not risking it

clyp.it/2crw5dd3

Been working on this for a minute now.
Sound okay senpai?

that is some expensive gear though. its just messy

This is nice.
I feel like playing GranTurismo now.

clyp.it/dqz2bzge
have I channeled my inner tnght yet

bretty gud

needs some snare or brass or something

>they always show a messy as fuck studio as a way of saying BOO HOO LOOK AT ME SO POOR YET SUCH AN ARTIST BEING CLEAN AND NEAT IS FOR THE BOURGEOIS
are they really saying that or are you just being #triggered ?

oh hey that's actually a huge compliment for me because ps2 game soundtracks are probably my biggest influence and I love GT

fuck you for manipulating me

your track needs some hi-hats

where did this meme come from?

>clyp.it/2crw5dd3
Not bad. Consider running it through a normaliser before uploading for levels though.

I've been working on the Ellie Goulding Happy Hardcore remix for a few days. Constructive criticism appreciated!
clyp.it/r10vlwgh

Nailed it dude.

I downloaded a copy for the wife, she'll love this.

Trying to capture listening to a song while awake and then asleep... what you think

clyp.it/pbr2ddd5

This is good.

I'd like to hear a female vocal over it.

Love the rhythms.

feelin these chords bru
that moment at :45 seconds is magical
main thing I'd add is little chirpy complimentary melodies during the bridge but that's something that I'm really partial to as far as happy hardcore stuff goes, I also really love throwing in a jungle break with a filter sweep on the last measure of a phrase to enhance the sense of speed a track has

did you skip a beat at around a minute in for any particular reason? it comes off as a little awkward

Thanks for the feedback! I can see what you mean about adding bridge melodies. And magical is exactly the effect I was going for at :45! So that's great to hear!

I was trying to spice it up a little.
Is it no bueno?

where is a good place to buy royality free drum kits? do the pris use sample packs or do they make their drums and if so, how?

yea I find it's a lot harder to successfully skip a beat than it is to add one and even then you need to do it at the right time and telegraph it properly. I'd also edit the drum buildup cause it sounds a little rigid as is

desu I mostly use drum samples from kb6 (google it, lots of classic drum machine samples) and then process the shit out of them. sample magic also has some ok packs depending on what you're looking for. I also make a lot of drum sounds out of samples I get from youtube videos or freesound.org by layering stuff and adding effects.

dude, just use whatever drums lol

this kb6 site is exactly what ive been needing, thanks! i guess you can use these samples in songs without any legal ramifications if you sell them

yeah nobody checks that shit lol, sample whatever you want unless you're kanye west or some shit worst that'll happen is you'll get asked to take something down unless you're blatantly copying chunks of stuff. I sample drums straight from albums all the time

oh lol really appreciate it man thank you

clyp.it/r43tqy1h
too much reverb?
do my drums sit in a ridiculous place in the mix?

I did this in like 30 mins shud I continue

clyp.it/fazr1gr1

Yes, this is beautiful.

yeah, wanna collab on it?

here's mine
clyp.it/ze5x3hyt

No.

lololo i was just playin bro wouldnt work with you anyways you need to step your game up coz u fockn suck LOL k bye

K.

For anyone "struggling to find their voice" I have some advice. Start making things in the most roundabout and obscure ways possible. Even if you don't have any creativity, the weirder you can make your methods of deriving sounds, the better. It will end up being unwieldy and an utter bitch to work with, but you'll definitely sound unique.

I don't get it

>tfw I use Pro Tools

i was saying that your epic bantz were very cryinglaughingemoji handsemoji 100emoji fireemoji aokhandsignemoji

Please leave this thread.

say that to my face

not tryna hate but why
when I tried protools it felt more geared towards tracking than anything else, in the box production felt really inconvenient and cumbersome compared to other daws

>clyp.it/ze5x3hyt
someone pls

Sounding good.

ok here's my meme

clyp.it/lokimflm

>clyp.it/ze5x3hyt

I like your high pitches arp in the background. What synth is that?

Anybody hit a wall before? I feel like I'm not getting any better at producing music, I've just been noodling around in FL studio for a few months, making aimless and disjointed tracks that rarely ever get completed . Any advice?

Made it from scratch with sylenth1

>a few months
pfft, that's nothing, just keep at it and always try new things until you feel like you've got enough of them under your belt to do something with

I'm slowly coming out of the phase you were in. What helped for me was picking up a guitar for $50 just to give me a different view of music.

Maybe you're making a track for the wrong reasons.

I'm still at the wall with vocals. I'm a decentish singer, but everything feels wrong when I do vocals, whether they're sang, rapped for screamed.

I hit a multi year wall once
honestly the biggest piece of advice I can give you is don't give up, but be fair to yourself and don't beat yourself up for no reason. just have fun and you'll get there. when it comes to this stuff you're always gonna be your own worst enemy

>clyp.it/r43tqy1h
they sound good to me

Gee thanks guys, I glad I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Anyone got a rec for cool lo-fi synth vsts? looking for some evil ass basses, and something sweet and ethereal.

Dammit

No softsynth is really inherently "lo-fi," any subtractive synth will get the job done for that vintage feel though some sound better than others (I recommend Diva as an all around solution), clever effects processing is what you really need.

Look into bitcrushers, saturators, distortion, tape delays, etc etc. I really like D16's plugins (esp. Decimort), TB-ReelBus, PSP VintageWarmer, and Plogue Chipcrusher; if you're using Ableton you can also use Legowelt's SMACKOS Tape Station which is awesome, along with Cabinet, Erosion, and Multiband Dynamics which are built in. Learning tricks within your daw like emulating shitty timestretching and pitch bending helps too. You should also pick up some samples of tape hiss and throw those into your recordings, there are lots of customizable racks and loops for that if you google em.

Another tip would be to study the hardware you're trying to emulate and learn what makes them sound "lo-fi" so you can kind of emulate that with an effect chain. For example, old romplers and samplers would often have low sample rates, meaning they can't replicate high frequencies as well, so a lot of them would have a circuit just to "fix" that by exciting those frequencies; this is why a lot of old romplers sound really glassy and airy. Knowing that info you could add a bitcrusher to fuck up the sample rate, a little bit of an eq shelf to subdue the leftover high frequencies, and an exciter to artificially boost them back up and give you that glossy, artificial high end. Honestly most DAWs now come with a lot of the tools you need to make convincing lo-fi stuff, you just need to really learn them.

or just sample everything in iris and sound completely different

high learning curve though, to not get noise.

Its what I started since I was mainly learning actual recording and mixing as opposed to electronic production, but I felt comfortable with it so just stuck with it. Its workflow agrees with me I guess, haven't ever really had issues with it

lol. all of this is new territory for me.

i'm trying to full on get into recording. reading manuals, watching tutorials, etc...

i'm working on this punk, lo-fi, industrial, noise band/project.

i plan on starting out by covering big black's 'fist of love'

i know your guy's stuff sounds cleaner and electronic-y, and i know i still need a lot of work, but i was wondering if you guys could give some pointers on something i maybe haven't caught?

currently i'm using a volca sample and distorted bass routed into a mixer/interface.

clyp.it/zcclt4x2

Keys or bass they both do both really, so you can't go wrong with either. I'll probably end up getting a keys at some point. I think the keys has a chorus effect so that might be handy too if you don't have any effects to run it through.

Check or some of the Rythmic Robot instruments. They are all sampled from old gear. Tubes and wires is made from old valve test generators which is pretty nice sounding, loopscape is a synth made from sampled tape loops, shortwave is made from samples of shortwave radios and grit kit is a nice sounding drum machine.

clyp.it/tq4equdv

Haven't uploaded here in a while, could I get some feedback on this WIP?

>clyp.it/zcclt4x2
turn the bass up!

>clyp.it/tq4equdv
sidechain the kick to the bass and experiment with triplet hi-hats, you need a better groove

Ia getting a MPC worth it? I'd like to make music on the go. Not talking about a software controller, I want the real thing

check out the maschine

I do normally do a lot of fast triplet high-hat stuff but I figured I would go in a different direction with this one, but thats some good advice. Thanks! Also, with the sidechaining, should the kick or the bass be ducked?

>watch a TX81Z demo video
>love some of the patches
>dl the .syx
>import it into fm8
>they sound like shit
:^(
that yamaha fm magic

synth demos in question if ur curious:
youtu.be/bj-BPvcf5sw
youtu.be/bQbLyEPKGMM

But that's a software controller, isn't it?

Hi dude
/prod/ is not all restricted to electronic music it's just that it's the crowd that gathered here.

I've no problem with a bit of lo-fi but your guitar sound a bit unprofessional and lack of punch. Maybe i've got this feeling because i'm more of a godflesh guy than a big black guy. To achieve a better ( while still agressive and lo-fi ) sound i think you should doule ( or more ) the guitar line maybe with different sounds.
I think your reverb bursts are a bit too unsubtle and would benefit from being more progressive.
Your choice of drum sounds is quite nice but you would be better with a really agressive snare.

just released an album, mailed some blogs before the release and no replies, what to do now?

i find sound design pretty grueling but it's obviously a big part of production. does watching a movie while making synth patches sound like it would hinder my learning?

Its better to focus on your tone and parameters, although if you really wanna play around you can. You won't learn much but you might stumble on some cool stuff.

I do that all the time, I listen to music while making patches and playing along too.

Did you have a label to release it through? did you promote it on social media? Not really any point releasing an album until you have some traction unless you're playing a lot of live shows.

fuck no

He was literally just asking for more cool production setups

Didn't imply at all as to how it should be arranged and looking at the pieces of gear there and how they are arranged it's pretty interesting when you look at what output they got from it

You're projecting hard here mate

Really depends on what else they're going through

The first one is going through a Lexicon MPX550 which is a pretty decent unit. Second one is going through a fucking Big Sky which is pretty fantastic

That being said the tx81z is still a real nice synth and I love it. I love fm8 too but sometimes it's really nice to be able to process offboard with analog shit. A tx81z through analog filters or a filterbank is so killer

would you say it's worth the investment? they're crazy cheap on ebay. I don't normally invest in gear (just have a microbrute se and a microkorg) but ffs the pads in those videos just sound so rich, the patches in FM8 have almost no bass whatsoever and some of the more "shimmery" ones just sound fucking noisy even after putting them thru reverb. I can get them to sound KIND OF close with a saturator and playing with fm8's analogue slider but it really depends on the patch.

If you've got enough hardware already I'd say the cost is trivial for what you get. I was really holding out for a tx802 but I got mine for 35 dollars so I figured it was a no-brainer

Like I said through even the shittiest analog filters and especially distortions it just works so well. Some of my favorite patches include a midiverb, ms20 filter as the analog filter, and either a muff or some other OD/distortion

I particularly like how it pairs with midiverbs as well especially how they don't really get muddy even with a 15s dark delay

Combine that with the fact that patch editors and librarians are just so easy to use it's such a small piece. I used to patch fm8 to outboard effects to get it across and that worked with a little bit of cleanup but like you said a lot of stuff gets noisy easily

might need to add a midiverb to the shopping list as well since they seem pretty cheap too. is there a model you'd recommend? also any other recommendations for cheap outboard stuff would be cool too. I'm moving to a new place soon so I'll finally have room for gear, which I'm pretty excited about. Aside from those two things I mentioned I've been in the box this whole time.

I've got two original midiverbs and a midiverb 2

I don't really know anything about the later models and they're really not the best since they're all pretty much untweakable presets but being able to control them via midi and having them sound pretty dang decent in quite a few presets was enough for me

Dont spend too much on one as you could just put that towards a better reverb like a lexicon or something but its not hard to pick up midiverbs for 60-80 bucks

Also NEVER buy a midiverb 1 without the power cable. They're impossible to find three pin 16v monstrosities and they're hard as fuck to find

As for other cheap outboard stuff I've used boss reverbs I usually use for guitar very well. I'd highly suggest getting a nice analog filterbank but if push comes to shove you can use a korg monotron filter for lots of neat things. I think legowelt puts his dx-5 through a monotron, which is really funny

should i start a EDM campaign called DJ Awful and upload mixes wearin some stupid poser stuff while callin the mixes Awful Shit #001 etc? coz i mean like, i dont wanna take music seriously and being ironic to how bad you fucking are would be motivational coz i dont want people to guess for even a second that this channel is some Skrillex ass production

nah dude that sounds corny af just pick up producing and have fun with it on your own terms instead of masking it w irony

question

do u guys tune your drum samples?

how does this relate with the key of your song and what dictates the key of your song

i would appreciate it if anyone could briefly explain. i'm a self taught laptop musician so i have a hard time with this sort of thing.

Why am I so lazy and depressed?

clyp.it/zpdfayuj

In my experience tuning drums only really applies to an actual acoustic drum kit in a professional studio. In terms of electronic production if it doesn't sound right just find another sample or process (with EQ etc) your current one.

I dislike the raw saw wave or whatever that is, it's hurtful to the ears
Drumkit is not very appropriate imo, I'd pick something bigger and more natural
Piano needs some variation in velocity

Also this is a Tron ripoff isn't it

On the subject of laziness I made this song that's basically just one riff with different arpeggiators (and then bass and percussion)
Does it sound decent
clyp.it/xorghe23
I'm especially not sure about the transition at 0:48 but I don't know how to do it less abruptly

>Casio CZ101
>Alesis HR16
Could be worse desu.