Definitive Distro Rankings

Hi, welcome to my blog post. Hope you have fun v(⌒o⌒)v

Top tier:
Debian - the best binary-based distro
Gentoo - the best source-based distro
It really depends what you want out of your computer which is better but these are the most stable and feature complete OS's in their respective categories. Can be as minimal or bloated as the user likes.

Great tier:
Arch - best wiki, package manager, let down by security issues with AUR and smug userbase. it is simple but not minimal.
Ubuntu - an excellent first OS, it just works. fairly well documented and helpful community. good for a work PC. association with canonical is a double-edged sword.

Good tier:
OpenSuse - best for KDE. slightly unintuitive package manager. allows for rolling release with Tumbleweed while being generally user friendly.
Fedora - less user friendly ubuntu with canonical association swapped for red hat.

Bad tier:
Mint - downstream from ubuntu, recommended system updates are late and kernel updates are blocked by default, other updates that are not recommended are still available to the end user but they can brick your PC.
Manjaro - the pretentious arch user base with even less technical understanding. horrific security, twice asked users to change their system clocks so that they could accept updates with expired pgp keys. OpenSSL has also been broken in the past. delayed package updates are not always enough to prevent breakages.

No, I haven't tried Slackware or LFS. Please no discussing *BSD.

Attached: distro_comparison.png (631x300, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=debian reset password
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Debian and fedora are the only distros I actually like imo

>Arch - let down by security issues with AUR
In defense of Arch, the AUR is not officially supported and there are no AUR tools in the official repos. You can install 3rd party software on every distro.

My favorite for servers is Alpine. Truly minimal. uses OpenRC and musl libc, just werks, besides maybe for some graphical applications. The package manager could be better should it be used as a desktop OS.

Alpine is a really nice distro. I'll be interested to try it again after it's been around a bit longer and has more packages/maintainers. I feel like the project is slightly limited by how niche its goals are but I understand why you'd love it.

AUR is alright.
But I wonder why not more popular packages are moved to the official repository?

Would that not require one of the Arch team to officially maintain them? It's probably a manpower issue

Looking at the most popular AUR packages (Dropbox, Chrome, MS fonts, TeamViewer, Spotify), it likely has to do with either shitty licensing or nobody wanting to package it since it's crap.

I have no idea how it works.

One thing I was disappointed isn't included in the official repo is QGIS.
It's professional geographical software, not some hobby project.
And it takes fucking ages to compile.

I trust you're all familiar with packer? If not, get that shit asap, it makes installing anything from the AUR (including automatically fetching dependencies) so easy.

LFS is the ultimate source-based 'distro'...

>Arch - best wiki
That's it.

I'm actually somewhat of a normie so I use pamac. (you can hate me I don't care)

first time i fully agree with a post on Sup Forums

wow

What's the difference between binary based and source based?

>people still use manjaro when zen installer exists

Manjaro should be the ape stepping in shit.

Source based means you have to compile locally.
Binary means it's already compiled.

Binary makes it much faster to install and update.
Source makes it slightly faster to run, since the compiler can optimize for your specific hardware.....but that doesn't matter because you spend 25 hours per day compiling leaving -1 for any actual work.
People with autism also like source because then they have something to read and search for security holes before going to bed.

Thanks.

Source also means that you can choosehow to compile the package the way you want.

>debian is the best
If you like software older than most Egyptian mummies.

arch is the rick and morty of distros

hey rick and morty is a good shoe its not our fault smug pricks co opted it

Thinking about installing Devuan. Does it support proprietary firmware (i.e. for my thinkpad wireless adapter) in the install ISO?

>SUSE and Ubuntu above Fedora and Manjaro
OP is a faggot

>install Debian
>everything goes all right
>time to log in
>wait what password did I use for my user
>oh fuck i can't remember it
im so fucking dumb

the exact same shit had happened on me ironically
i reinstalled in the end

same here user. fucking sucks but oh well

>SUSE anywhere on the list but the bottom

OP is an idiot

fixed

Attached: 1520981365183.png (631x300, 114K)

>Please no discussing *BSD
Why are you scared?

why are there two ubuntus?

plz read the post next time thx!

lmgtfy.com/?q=debian reset password

Debian for work, Gentoo for play.

i3/sway/openbox/tinwm for muh GUI

that ranking is only in your head
the only thing that matters is time wasted on maintenance vs time spent on what you actually want to do. only a fool would do useless work for occasional shilling

Is antergos good ?

I just fucking love Rick and Morty, in the way that I fucking love science. It's so random and cool - it's like the show was designed for us Redditors, see? My mom says I have an unhealthy obsession with the show, but she just doesn't understand how funny it. I wish I could live in the Rick and Morty world and be their friends. Everything would be really and cool and funny if I did. Rick and Morty are so funny and I'm so awesome that it would make perfect sense, but it'd be even better if Bernie Sanders appeared. It'd be so awesome I'd turn up the TV in the common room of my dorm up all the way so everyone could hear the greatness of Bernie Sanders, Ron Paul, bacon, weed, atheism, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sweden, Bill Nye, 90s cartoons, cats, and fucking loving science.

I run the Rick and Morty Club at my school - we come together, browse Reddit, make some Deadpool memes and watch Rick and Morty. We don't talk to each other but there's a cute girl there I'm gonna try and ask out. I'm a nice guy and I dress well (fedora + trench coat + brown-stained underwear + well-trimmed beard lightly seasoned with dust and corn syrup) so I just know I've got a good chance with her. I've already messaged her on Facebook, I just haven't got a response yet.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Rick and Morty! My favorite character is Rick because his style of humor perfectly reflects that of Reddit. I bet if I asked him "When does the narwhal bacon?", he'd know EXACTLY what I was talking about. Also, did you notice he looks like Bernie Sanders if you squint a bit and use your imagination? This can't be a coincidence; MLG Illuminati confirmed. Yeah, that's right, I look at montage parodies too. What good Redditor doesn't? Lenny face, Illuminati, and Doge are so funny. If I met Rick and Morty I'd be sure to show them all those funny and awesome memes and more!

Yours baconly, Atheist92

Literally "Arch for babies". Grow up.

It's pretty much just Arch. IIRC you can just remove the Antergos repo from pacman.conf. Way better choice than Manjaro if you're determined to use Arch without installing it.

And what is wrong with suse?

Use Anarchy instead

no use zen anarchy trys to pass its self off as a distro

What's the performance gain from a source compiled program over a binary?
Let's say Firefox on Ubuntu vs on Gentoo.
5%? More?

~5% sounds about right, you wouldn't really notice the performance gains but they might accrew over time.
People mainly use gentoo because portage allows for a ton of customization.

God tier: NixOS GuixSD

It's not like you can't compile from source on Ubuntu you know

this. They’re both distros that believe in software freedom while being widely used.

why so much hate for manjaro?
it has all advantages of arch while being more stable and works out of the box

Are we doing separate rankings for with systemd and without systemd? If not, it'll be a bit of a boring poll where the handful of distros without systemd are at the top.

Which distro should I use?
I'm planning on using a lightweight distro only to run VMs with GPU passthrough.
So that I can run a main Distro inside it along side winblows 7 and some other ones for messing around with.

Any one done anything similar before?
I'll probably use QEMU to run the VMs

Manjaro is trash, it's literally the worst type of distro because it attracts people that do not know enough to use arch (which isn't much) but have used Linux enough to distrohop

I do that with Debian currently on my home server (then I stream those games to my laptop). My reasoning for choosing Debian is stable and minimal, it's

Yea I've been considering debian with just networking, drivers and using a terminal.
Or if possible a simple GUI.

>manjaro users are pretentious
No? How could they be? That's about your elitist feelings about arch vs the 'undeserving'.
Really I doubt you even know more than one person who uses these.

Terrible list by the way. Colored by attempt at compromise.

This.
Boner tier.

>the worst type of distro because it attracts people that do not know enough
why should I give a shit what kind of people uses piece of software if its good?

>linux is the worst type of OS because it attracts people that do not know enough to use BSD but have enough feeling of superiority to not use Windows
>gimp is the worst type of graphic editor because it attracts people that are too poor for photoshop but have used Paint enough to change editor

just go full headless, what would you need a GUI for? Debian is not my favorite distro but for a homeserver running VMs it works perfectly

Grab the Debian Netinstaller image.
It's hybrid so works on dvd or usb.
Just use the console without X
Terminals require X.
You can get Ncurses applications that have a GUI like mc (midnight commander) or wicd-curses / nm-curses for example.
C based applications like htop are another example of small library programs that don't require X and can even be ran over SSH.

Setup nfstables and fail2ban and you can leave her for a couple weeks.
Maybe invest in a PSU and a failover cellular modem in case your ISP has a power out or drive failure.

What software are you using to stream? Is the latency acceptable?

because if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't be on a distro like arch, and if you do then you might as well use arch

>Gentoo below anyone
How dare you?

it's fine, it's not more than a ms or two over LAN. I use steam in home streaming for everything that I can run fullscreen, and moonlight for other things

I meant a UPS not a PSU sry.
Or use a laptop.

>Fedora - less user friendly ubuntu
Fedora is nothing like Ubuntu. Fedora is actually stable and has up-to-date packages.

sound about right

Just to click things, like pressing the button to boot up winblows or another distro.

Netinstaller needs internet though?
My internet is pretty slow and I don't want it to take a whole day to download something.

What I'd like to do is run an OS just for vms and use those a vm as a main os and a winblows 7 vm for applications that only run on winblows.

Steam has built in streaming.
You can stream it to a linux computer.
Import external games into it if you need to.

You can control the packet size and what resolution and other factors.

Yes, because arch is too unstable and Manjaro comes with a lot of things working out of the box without having to do anything.
I doubt an installer would do just the same. Manjaro has separate repositories, packages that automatically do things for you, etc.

Funny because I used arch of a while but switched to Manjaro. Too unstable to be taken seriously and used as a desktop PC.

Arch is only good if you don't value your time and don't mind spending 5-10 minutes setting up a new program. And if you don't mind using unstable applications. It doesn't really break often like people say, but packages do.
Mint is really good for new users. Arch should be in good or a new mid tier but only because it has a good wiki and makes you quickly learn a few things.

Mint was built for people who kinda want to use windows. No wonder it's the most popular distro.

Netinstaller doesn't need internet if you have proprietary hardware like nvidia or a broadcom wifi chipset.

You don't need it but you can choose to look for updates versions of the packages/libs on that installer.
You can also load a offline archives but not required unless you package your own programs like myself.

unless you have proprietary hardware*

all you have to do is connect a ethernet after install and do a
apt update
apt install iwlwifi
apt upgrade

anything you can do with buttons you can do with simple input anyway. you will have to write simple bash scripts for starting the VMs why not have an alias for running that script instead of some GUI that you cant access over SSH without forwarding X etc.

But Arch isn't unstable as a property of Arch. If you cannot fix Arch being unstable how will you fix something when it breaks in Manjaro? If you want a stable distro use Debian. Manjaro server no purposes, which is why its depicted as the lowest ape

I'd suggest a alias to start Qemu with a small command line alias.
You could also setup a bash variable and a hotkey on your keyboard.
Or if you know html or css you can do a simple webgui.

Next steps are things like Ansible or Chef or Spaceshuttle.
You can always forward X on a client device if you want.
I'd keep the server itself free of X though to reduce attack surface.

If you are lazy something like OMV has remote webguis built in.
They can host services like websites and stuff.
Or even Nas4Free.

It's unstable because they push new updates pretty quickly. Manjaro waits a bit longer I think and they're a bit more strict when pushing updates, they should be a bit more stable. If something breaks during the next 3 months or so I'll just switch to debian or something or at least dual boot.

I use Gentoo in my home desktop and Manjaro at work because I've got no time to install Arch and Debian is just absolute fucking shit.

ok, but I'd be using the machine itself though not just as a server.
I'd need x since I'll be using the machine as a desktop

You don't you use Antergos at work? Or better yet just Ubuntu...

Lol Arch is just a meme, faggot. I use Mint and I am happy with it.

Debian isn't shit? It's a very good Distro, I'd assume someone who uses Gentoo for anything other than bragging rights would realize that

but you'd run your linux desktop distro as a VM as well right? or did I misunderstand, are you doing a simple passthrough?

What I'm saying is.

OS for VMS
V
LoonixVM - Winblows 7 VM

All on a desktop infront of me.

Install CloverOS

>But I wonder why not more popular packages are moved to the official repository?

Licensing issues. But popular packages with good licenses ARE moved from the AUR to community all the time.

Maybe it's just me and my shitty hardware, but I notice huge performance improvements over other distros with Gentoo.

I've heard people boast 15% performance gains but that hasn't been my experience.

I don't know about percentage-wise, but everything in general feels like I'm using a much faster computer than if I was running any other distro with the same environment.

The performance increase is definitely supposed to be significant, if not usually noticeable.

How up to date is the kernel version that gentoo uses(4.9.76-gentoo-r1) compared to 4.15.x ?

Decent, as it's LTS, however Gentoo also has 4.15.9 available.

yeah, that's what I thought. so it's basically the same as what I have, but you're not streaming it over LAN (which really doesn't make any difference). I'd still try to keep the host as minimal as possible, no GUI bloatware

How stable is that newer version? Also how do could I install it?

It's fairly stable, the main concern is that it gets updated much more frequently, which might be annoying to some. Easiest way to get it would be emerge --autounmask-write \=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15.9, apply the config to select the testing version of that package and run the command again, then do the usual eselect, make menuconfig and such.

You're actually right, this thread can die now. I guess maybe I would consider ubuntu and fedora on the same level.

install source mage

Attached: 1497706876995.png (602x500, 27K)