As someone who has always been a PC user, with primarily windows 7/10, convince me to purchase a macbook pro...

As someone who has always been a PC user, with primarily windows 7/10, convince me to purchase a macbook pro. I personally hate the way apple conducts their business but have always somewhat appreciated the hardware. I've been around a handful of people who exclusively use apple products and have seen them in use. I know what their capabilities are and am well aware that this computer will not be capable of a few things that I do on a semi-regular basis. I'm really only looking to use this computer for light-weight tasks with the occasional video editing and graphic design when I am away from my main computer.

Would it be a waste to get a macbook pro? I'm really looking for replies from other macbook/pro owners, pros and cons ect; any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Attached: Screenshot_20180313-192649~2.png (1440x1179, 498K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>macbook
so just wanna oogle the osx desktop all day? then go for it.

>personally hate the way apple conducts their business

you're a fucking idiot

2/2

This isn't just a "convince me to ______" thread. I simply like to discuss in a formal manner what the pros and cons of macbooks are. IE why wouldn't I purchase 'x' instead if it can perform the same tasks for less amount of money.

I run arch linux on macbook air, I'd recommend that. Superb build quality. Hate any Software coming from Apple.

I don't know lad, you tell me.

>"After our one-hour stress test with Prime95 and FurMark (Windows), the CPU runs at only1.2 GHz, while the graphics card is also limited to just 400 MHz. Even though devices fromAsus,Acer& Co. also throttle, none of the direct rivals loses that much performance. The performance of the MacBook was much better under OS X, but the tools (Cinebench and Unigine Heaven) are not that demanding for the hardware."

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

>"We had our doubts on the performance of the Surface Pro 4 Core i7 configuration considering the throttling issues found on the Surface Pro 3. Luckily, we can observe no major performance issues when under high loads. The tablet is able to maintain its maximum Turbo Boost of 3.2 GHz for both cores when under Prime95 stress and Unigine Heaven stress."

notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html

Did you even read the OP? Probably not. I get where you guys are coming from but I'm only looking for serious replies from owners of said laptop/s. I want legitimate discussion here, not just shitposts.

I've tried out a few different distros over the years and am totally open to this idea. Only reason why I haven't fully switched on my main building is because I use adobeshit and gaym. I assume linux can easily utilize all the hardware properly? I would still have to use this laptop for some graphic design and maybe some video editing if I'm in a pinch.

So you are implying that I should get a surface pro instead given that the macbook can not fully utalize the hardware? When a 'tablet' can? A surface is in my options, but I have used a few first hand and would like some information on something that I haven't had the opportunity to use first hand.

>Would it be a waste to get a macbook pro?
Yes.

Attached: 1498649255863.jpg (989x1006, 165K)

Cone on man, I'm looking for serious replies. I can go on and on about how apple sucks but I want to hear from people who have first hand experience. I've seen thousands of threads over the years about applefags shilling for their BS. I want to hear from these people first hand experience from using their computers in similar situations. I want to give them a fair chance and am completely willing to listen to what they have to say.

I'd rather this thread 404 than get responses from people who just want to immediately shitpost.

That is a serious reply. Don't waste your money. I was suckered into this shit by macfag hires that insisted we convert to a mac shop and these pieces of shit were nothing but trouble from the first month.

Here's the thing with Apple, they quite literally train their salespeople to use manipulation and brainwashing tactics to sell their trash, look it up, it's public information. So the only people you're going to fine trying to sell you on buying a mac are morons that fell for the brainwashing. If you want real experience from someone that didn't bought and used the products but didn't fall for the marketing and actually thought "no, I'm not using it wrong, this piece of shit is just poorly built and defective," then here it is. If you refuse to accept it, that's your choice.

No I totally understand what you're saying. Sorry for assuming you haven't used a mac before.

Honestly, I'm just tired of using Windows. Although (from what I understand) I can't fully replace my window pc, but for a laptop I can get away with something else. So should I just go with a laptop and install gnu/linux over windows?

I also used to work for a company selling computers so I understand the 'brainwashing' part a little too well. Were there any advantages to using the macs? Like any at all? Even boot times or battery life?

Macs are good for productivity. I’m not kidding.

Out of the box, you get a plethora of productivity suites. Spreadsheet, docs, slideshows, audio mixing, video editing, it’s in there. You can opt for third party productivity if you prefer, but if you don’t care about that, Macs are pretty much an all-in-one package.

That comes with a price, though. The exorbitant sticker price, the ridiculous after-care warranty for it, and the nightmare of servicing it. They’re designed and built so that you can’t have it serviced anywhere other than Apple, and they charge a hefty amount for repairs.

If you don’t mind the expense of owning one, then it’s a solid choice. Personally, I find them cumbersome to own.

I bought a macbook pro in 2013. I haven't had any discernible issues with it, although I may have to replace the battery at some point in the future (1-2 years), it's still working as I want it to.

I mainly use it for developing applications, and other university projects.

Why would you. Don't bother with the apple tax, their hardware isn't even that good. Trust me I support both and the Macs don't even compare in repair rates to decent business class Dell's. Even better 90% of the time it isn't even worth fixing them since everything is soldered on.

Buy a Razer blade and install GNU on it if you’re willing to throw so much money on a Mac.

You buy the Mac for the software. The hardware is little to be desired. If you care for the hardware, please, for the love of Odin’s shiny spear, don’t buy a Mac.

>pic related i guess

Attached: neo.jpg (1006x494, 149K)

Apple also happens to constantly break shit with their updates too. Really common shit. Like domain join or simple network share access. Some of the crap I deal with after rounds of updates is fucking unbelievable, do not consider one if you want to do real work with it. They might be good toys but apple clearly forgot about office users and well standards a long fucking time ago. At one point their top level support told me that apple does not support working directly from shares, copy the data local and then work on it, then save it to the share. I didn't believe him until he sent me the white paper outlining exactly this method of supported network computing. Absolute shit.

Can you elaborate o the software that comes 'out of the box' for audio mixing and video editing? I was under the assumption that you had to pay extra for Garage Band, and I'm not aware of the video editing software it comes with out of the box. Since I use premier, let's use that as an example; what can't I do with the 'out of the box' solution as opposed to what I can now with Adobe?

Thank you for the post, I will take it into consideration. Can you tell me about how long it takes to fully drain the battery?

I am fully aware of their BS practices and am taking this into consideration. Although as opposed to a surface pro, how can you compare the upgradability? I'm perfectly capable of doing upgrades myself, but that is not what I am looking for.

I actually have a razer blade. A 2017 14" model. From what I understand I can't use the 1060 GPU if I install linux so that is a no go.

>Were there any advantages to using the macs? Like any at all? Even boot times or battery life?
Boot times on Macs are fucking atrocious. Windows 95 levels on 2012 era macs.

The only good thing macs had was their huge 95WHr batteries, but Apple even threw those away in favor of thinness. Now you're lucky to get a 50+WHr battery in a mac.

>Thank you for the post, I will take it into consideration. Can you tell me about how long it takes to fully drain the battery?
I still get around 6 hours of use whilst under a decent development load (i.e. Eclipse, Xcode, Cordova, and simulators being used), although this is after around 5 years of use, it used to last much longer.

>Since I use premier
May as well get a $300 laptop from BestBuy, it'll crush the Macbook.

Attached: 1493652550852.jpg (851x474, 104K)

Base model 13 inch 2017 mbp user here.

Previously a long time arch linux tinkerer. Got tired of that so I bought something that lets me focus on the important stuff, aka, actual software development, not that the i3bar is 1 pixel bigger than I'd like.

No bullshit, I actually feel very focused and productive on this machine. 10 hours of programming in vim are guaranteed(Python), maybe 7 hours if Haskell or C.

The screen is amazing, and I'd say that the OS is much more impressive than the hardware itself. It just works, saves your session between restarts and gets out of your way. I'm mostly doing stuff from the terminal anyway. The performance is good(I mostly SSH to some powerful Linux server if I want something heavyweight like NN training).

The speakers are god-like, clearer sound than any other notebook out there.
The Touch Bar on the 13 inch is amazing(the 15 inch is too big) and very useful, don't even need a mouse.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad I found something that works for me. I got used to the keyboard in less than 2 days, has that almost mechanical click which is nice(and I have a Pok3r keyboard).

the keyboard on the newer models is a piece of SHIT

Not Touch Bar, but Trackpad.