Uh, what the fuck? Am I being retroactively taxed for my purchases years ago? Is this even legal?

Uh, what the fuck? Am I being retroactively taxed for my purchases years ago? Is this even legal?

Attached: Clipboard01.png (735x631, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tcCSutQQRuo
salestaxinstitute.com/Sales_Tax_FAQs/out_of_state_retailer_collect_sales_tax
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You were always supposed to pay tax idiot.

Sounds like it's not my problem that Newegg failed to collect it at the time of purchase. Their oversight. They should take the loss.

Newegg is not legally obligated to collect sales tax, but you are responsible for paying it

Hello Kyle.

>i didn't pay my taxes
>now they want me to pay them
>wtf!!!!!!

Sounds like something I should have been informed about in 2014 or 2015 soon after I made those purchase. Not fucking four years later.

On top of that I've never had to pay sales tax for most online purchases I've made. Usually it's only the cost of the product plus shipping. I've bought loads of stuff on ebay I've never been taxed on and I don't believe Amazon charged sales tax in my state a few years ago either though I wanna say it does now.

You only need to pay sales tax on an item you purchase online if you live in a state where the seller is located or has facilities. Newegg has no distribution operations in CT. It seems to me there was a new law introduced recently that allows the state to charge sales tax on any online purchase regardless of whether they seller has facilities in state or not. The problem is they are trying to apply this law retroactively. It was not law when these purchases were made so they cannot be taxed.

Newegg is not supposed to pay your taxes.

This will be the end of newegg. They can't compete with Amazon without the rampant evasion of sales tax.

>you can no longer buy shit out of state and not get taxed

FUCK

>is a law legal
Of course. It varies by state law. In my state for example your standard tax return form has a box on where you're supposed to self-report and pay use tax. The difference being companies doing business in my state aren't required to report this to the state. Apparently in your state they are, pay up goyim

It's called a use tax. Basically any state that collects sales tax has a "use tax" for when you buy an item and its either "untaxed" or "undertaxed", you're supposed to note it on your tax form with the state at the end of the year and pay the tax.

Note what I mean by undertaxed is, here in NJ we have a sales tax rate of 6.625%. If I physically drive to PA and buy an item in PA where they have a 6% sales tax and bring it back to NJ I am legally required to report that on my NJ tax return and NJ wants that 0.625%. If you aren't reporting untaxed or undertaxed stuff on your state tax return, you are committing tax evasion and if the government finds out they will go after you.

>Apply this law retroactively
>Never had to pay sales tax on online purchases
>Not my problem

It's called a use tax and it's always been around for a ton of states. You're supposed to include in your taxes items you bought for use in your state that weren't hit with your states sales tax.

fuck da oppz tbqh

Sounds to me then that almost every American citizen is committing some degree of tax evasion because I know most people don't keep record of every single purchase they make and then go through hours of figuring out "okay did this seller charge me sales tax? Was it the right amount?" and then a bunch of math to figure out exactly how much they owe. Nobody does this. Of course you report big purchases like cars and things like that but you have to do this shit for every little purchase you make? $50, $20, $10? That's ridiculous.

FUCK NO WAY
>GOT TO OREGON NO TAXES
>COME BACK HOME WITH SHIT
>GIBERMENT WANT YOU TO PAY TAX ON OUT OF STATE SHIT

Oy vey goyim, taxes are the price we pay for freedom and property

Don't forget to keep all your receipts

USA USA USA

Attached: 1502794661024.jpg (300x300, 21K)

lmao thats gonna be a bitch if it was tax advantageous to itemize in the year of 2014 related to your new found increase in sales/use tax deduction.

in very rare cases are you not assessed/pay a sales tax when purchasing something. Amazon does it now, all the online websites do desu.

It almost certainly was.

Most Americans are probably committing some level of tax evasion, and at present the chance of your state tax agancy coming after you is minimal if you buy something out of state and drive it back home, but going forward as more and more stuff is bought online, more states will be demanding consumer data from the big e-retailers under threat of court action if they don't either tax their buyers, or release records for tax purposes.

Honestly, in the next decade or so I wouldn't be surprised if the federal government passes a law making an agency for e-retailers to register with to collect sales tax from different states at their rates. Regardless, states want that money and they have a lot more money than you or the e-retailers to fight it.

You always have to pay sales tax, the company just doesn't have to collect it if they aren't in your state

So much for freedom, americucks

Go get a CPA to revise 3 years of taxes and do this year. You'll be ok :)

the state will usually send you a bill and forgive the delinquency if you pay by a certain date.

Do you have to pay taxes on purely digital stuff to? Like if bought a digital copy of a game or if you subscribe to some service like a VPN or something with a recurring yearly/quarterly/monthly charge? Or do state sales taxes only apply to physical goods?

Depends on your state law. Some states charge a different amount of sales tax on purely digital things compared to physical objects.

>buy heaps of hardware off newegg
>never pay any tax
good luck finding me yanks

Attached: 1519186596809.gif (399x369, 39K)

>retroactive taxes
>the absolute state of burgerstan

Attached: 79709C46-470C-4D87-AF73-92516FF5755E.jpg (480x360, 17K)

If your state collects sales tax you can be pretty sure they expect tax on digital items, however a handful of states put the tax on digital items lower than an the general sales tax rate.

youtube.com/watch?v=tcCSutQQRuo

Get fucked, cheapskate

Pretend you didn't read the mail, and act like none of this happened. Act oblivious, and I'm sure you can ride this out

Attached: 1507311436196.gif (202x268, 1.76M)

>land of the free

Attached: 1517917918491.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

The tax isn't retroactive, you were always required to pay it, but the government didn't know before that the transaction took place.

This.

Fuck the CIA nigger IRS

Honestly I'm fucking petrified. I knew CT was pretty liberal, but that's UK level taxation. Though Maryland isn't much better

If I start paying sales tax on every online purchase from now on my taxes will be considerably higher. Do you think that would draw too much attention? You know people start asking "he barely owed anything last year but this year he owes a lot, why?" Should I pay off at least some of my back taxes? At least whatever purchases I've made in the last year or three that I can find information for.

Make a new account and cut off your card, maybe put a new one in that's a gift card and leave the account to rot, problem solved

CT is one of the worst offenders. Even the liberals hate Malloy and want him .

>mfw seeing the tears of a miners who bought thousands of dollars worth of (((tax-free))) video cards from Newegg when they get a collection in the mail from the state demanding their entire profit

Attached: Fred_Rogers.gif (282x257, 1.8M)

salestaxinstitute.com/Sales_Tax_FAQs/out_of_state_retailer_collect_sales_tax
>But just because the retailer doesn’t collect the sales tax doesn’t mean the purchase isn’t subject to tax. Purchases made on line aren’t automatically exempt from tax. If the retailer does not collect the sales tax, the purchaser has the obligation to pay the use tax directly to the state where the property is used as long as the item is taxable.

If you're so scared then just pawn off your old hardware and update your electronics.
They can't tax what you don't "own"
>Should I pay off at least some of my back taxes?
Drawing attention to yourself is the last thing you should do. Unless they come to your door or make 30 phone calls, you should be in the clear

Attached: 1503330368278.jpg (419x767, 88K)

eh relax, just play dumb, if they do try to make you pay it then pay it.

>Be retarded burger eating slob who doesn't check shit at checkout and just clicks next next next like a braindead mongoloid
>Cry because you didn't read and now get taxed for purchases you did 3 years ago
>Blame newegg even tho it's all your own fault.

CT is fucking desperate. The state is completely broke. They have these "rest areas" on their highways and I use quotes because they're nothing but tiny buildings with a dirty bathroom and couple vending machines. The state is so broke that they actually close the rest area buildings during the night and during peak traffic hours to save money. They set up porta-potties outside which are perpetually clogged with shit, gae the figer to truckers and called it a day. They're that desperate. One of the richest states in the country has the poorest government.

Attached: ferengi.jpg (501x585, 120K)

there is something even worse. murricans have to pay taxes even when they are living overseas. so they have to pay taxes twice.

They built loads of new rest stops on I-95 though and updated the ones on the Merritt pkwy too

>One of the richest states in the country has the poorest government.
That's on point though.

also, US persons can't do illegal (in the US) stuff overseas, because if the govt finds out, they could be jailed in the US for those crimes... even if they aren't illegal in the country where they commited the "crimt"
also, US and foreign companies can't do business with criminals, governments in blacklists, etc.
US laws literally apply all over the world (aka "extraterritorial jurisdiction").

What about items from overseas. I've imported a handful of stuff. What the hell kinda taxes do I owe on things like that? I've also never had to pay import duties either. Am I in the clear with that or will some other government agency come after me because I didn't know I was supposed to pay those as well. I figured that should would be charged when I picked up the package and only if it was applicable. That's another thing I figured was/is handled by the seller and it's only if they fuck up the declaration or something that you have to pay but since I'm apparently ignorant as fuck I probably shouldn't assume that anymore.

Depends on the value of the items. I don't remember what the limit is but under a certain dollar value you don't have to even declare it, over that value you have to pay duties, and I believe it's per return trip to the US.

My guess is that you should try to be aware about what your state / national government is currently focusing on, or comply if you're made aware.

You know the " of felonies a day" saying, right? You're probably always in breach of some law and probably not rich and powerful enough to get away with it if push comes to shove. Just my (foreigner) impression, though.

Moving to Japan and becoming a weeaboo expat is sounding better and better desu

I haven't imported too many things and they have generally been fairly cheap. Most expensive item I think was a bit over $100. The rest has generally been under $50.

>America is so backwards that they expect customers to do sales taxes and whatnot on their purchases rather then the companies including that tax from the get go

PS: The point is, I don't think they tried to retroactively make people pay taxes on these. Maybe you don't (yet) owe them, there are certainly some things that can be imported free for all I know.

Either way you're probably in the clear if you're just doing everything a lot of people do, until you notice they start cracking down...? Seems to be the actual reality in the USA - the laws probably otherwise say you're a criminal and felon.

>OP is afraid of forking ~$120 in sales tax

Attached: 1500140472729.png (497x346, 253K)

We have a thing called laws. They can't collect sales tax if they don't have a nexus in the state.

Now why they don't collect "use" taxes, I'm not sure.

it is more since it is past years tax faggot

Yeah you'd think it'd be like that but nope, not in 'murrica apparently.

I'll say I've got a lot more sympathy for tax evaders now given how easy it is to do it completely unintentionally. inb4 some asshat goes
>ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it

That's true for shit like murder and theft but expecting people to know their local and federal tax code inside and out is ridiculous.

If it was just that it wouldn't be major problem. If I factor in every single online purchase I've made in the last 10 years assuming none of the sellers charged sales tax or charged the correct sales tax then I actually owe quite a lot more.

>OP is afraid of forking ~$250 in sales tax

Attached: 1499074124911.jpg (320x320, 17K)

Import taxes I have no idea about. Sales and use taxes is completely state law so check there for hard legal information for your state, but they would have no reason to exclude foreign companies from taxes when their primary interest is collecting money. How over while US companies may bend over over threat for getting sued by states if they don't turn over customer data for tax purposes, foreign companies are less likely to do so as they don't answer to American courts, so while you might still be legally liable for taxes on those purchases under state law, the state would have no verifiable way of proving that that transaction took place unless the foreign company volunteered that information.

Jesus Christ what do you buy online?

Yurocucks have carbon taxes, TV license taxes and all other kinds of shit. No thanks.

mfw this whole post

Attached: 1408922909506.png (403x315, 265K)

>not having a federal tax rate that companies put into the price of their goods or services and then having that tax distributed to the states
why is America so fucking stupid for stuff like this?
>be foreigner visiting USA
>decide to buy some stuff
>pretty good deal, only $20
>sorry sir, you need to pay tax and a tip
>comes out to $30

>the state would have no verifiable way of proving that that transaction took place

What are bank and import records.

>We have a thing called laws.
Do you understand these laws?

I think in the USA, even the ESTIMATE how many laws are in effect was a topic for academic debate, and extracting even just a partial set of laws that apply to your situation is a sport for richfags that can hire dozens to hundreds of legal experts.

I think as a pleb you mostly just try to reasonably interpret the basics not step on the bueraucrat's feets when they're trying to keep that trainwreck moving, right?

>>sorry sir, you need to pay tax and a tip
how long until the jews demand we tip the online distribution centers?

OP Can't read lmao
american education system is fucking hilarious

They said that you paid this much in tax, and they are telling you that they now have to report how much tax they get from sales, and this is your alert to them doing that.

You can file for a tax return when possbile

you will have to pay taxes in the US no matter what, until you renounce your nationality :^)

States aren't going to send out subpoenas over every overseas purchase, they don't have the man power for that.

>t. eurofag paying 30% taxes on purchases

Attached: 1511018777041.jpg (825x512, 107K)

That's always struck me as crazy. No other country does double taxation

> why is America so fucking stupid for stuff like this?
Hacks upon hacks to try and keep something working, I guess?

Fun fact, it is possible in the US to renounce your nationality while having no other nationality thereby preventing you from legally living in any country.

ONLY IN THE UNITED SHIT OF AMERICA hahahahahaha

so where would they deport you to?

Yuros get taxed on the air they breathe. What's worse is that those tax funds are being used to pay for some other persons gender re-assignment surgery.

to the ocean, obviously

just like Iran does. problem?

> thereby preventing you from legally living in any country
This is wrong. Of course countries can decide to allow legal residence, whether you're burger or anything else. It's up to them.

fucking manchildren
>muh rig
>wtf my parents always paid the taxes!
>not MY problem
piss off

Why the fuck is it my responsibility to pay SALES tax if I am buying something? The person who is making the SALE should be the one who pays the SALES tax. How did consumers end up paying what the seller should be paying?

No idea. I'd assume whatever country you tried to enter would probably hold you in a jail while they decided what to do with you. I think you may be granted refugee status or something like that and from there you can go about attempting to acquire citizenship. Dealing with Stateless people is a bit of a tough issue.

I'm sure there are quite many laws where both sides to a transaction owe the state money.

Seems to be one of these situations?

How is it in any way unreasonable for the retailer to collect sales tax? All other retailers collect sales tax. People make hundreds of purchases every year, it's ridiculous to expect them to keep hundreds of receipts and itemize them according to what the taxation rate is for each item and compare that to the tax collected by the merchant for each item.

It's your responsibility to pay a use tax, not sales tax. Companies cannot collect a sales tax unless they have a nexus within your state as ruled by the supreme court.

Because the seller isn't responsible for applying sales tax individually based on different states laws. Other countries for the most part dont have to deal with it because they have unified sales tax laws across the whole nation. If it wasn't for the EU then I would get screwed on customs when I order hardware from the continent.

why are you on this board? if youre over 22 years old gtfo

The federal government passed a law long ago saying it was not required for online retailers to collect sales tax at the point of sale unless they had a physical location inside the state because sales tax law is complicated for mom and pop businesses because many states have not just a state sales tax, but also allow their different counties to impose their own sale taxes, within those counties certain cities are allowed to imposed their own sales tax.

>all these pro-taxation big government shills

Christ, when did Sup Forums become /reddit/?

that's what u get, keep voting for trump

Only Yurocucks like getting taxed.

Just send newegg or amazon a file complaining that you live outside the us and you used a freight forwarder service, there, problem solved

>implying this fag didn't use his home address and US phone number

>live in Australia
>Goods and Services Tax is included in the price
>I can buy a product comfortably knowing that I don't have any hidden costs in my product

feelsgoodman.png

Attached: cat.jpg (453x361, 36K)

>Fresh faced teenagers learning about US tax law the hard way

Welcome to the real world kiddies

Attached: 1416780016925.png (493x402, 8K)