Is this the most objectively perfect thing to ever come out of rock music?

Is this the most objectively perfect thing to ever come out of rock music?

first track is nice

rest is pretty meh

try listening to more music

I GET UP

It's definitely the best work of it's time and genre and is undeniably Yes's best work.

No, perfection doesn't exist on a scale.

to be continued...

lol

Big Star

Of Prog Rock, yes.

not even the best yes album

I think Genesis did the symphonic prog thing somewhat better than Yes, honestly, even though Yes are dope.

HEALTH FOOD FAGGOT

wtf no

faggots

meh not really. siberian breaks is ok but the rest is dadrock

ahem
should we all forget

I GET DOWN

More like in the court of 2012 lmao

And You And I is a really beautiful somg

Itcock > close to the edge

Name a reason why not

because its Rush

Mah nigga

>because people on Sup Forums told me not to like Rush

Sorry idiots this is the only other album besides Relayer that comes close to 2nd place

Yes, it is the objective rock GOAT. The sheer ambition of composition on this is god tier. Of all the prog bands I think Yes is the only one that truly found that sweet spot between rock and classical music. I know a lot of people feel that maybe only the title track is good, but that's only people who are in it for the surface level "muh complexity" or "muh melodies" in which case the album will tire you out in the same way people eventually got sick of prog. But every second of every track on the album has context in it of some sort. If said context is harder for you to pick up, I recommend reading Herman Hesse's Siddharta.

Nah. Too many weak tracks that have nowhere near the nuance the best tracks on the album have.

Nah. The songs written by the individual members rather than the whole band really weaken this one.

Nah, nothing they did comes close to the ambition of Close To The Edge. Just pop ditties that are above generic pop stuff.

Nah, the album's not all that cohesive which is mainly due to some weak tracks on it.

Genesis didn't hit the sweet spot though. Too much more on the pop side. They really did love their Beatles I guess.

Nah, too much music on this album's unnecessary due to lack of context, ultimately leading to a lot of wank and the death of prog.

Nah, it's a great album, but doesn't have the insane ambitions of CTTE. Not to mention that while the song styles are varied between the tracks, it leads to an album that's really not all that cohesive.

Nah, Rush are the epitome of everything bad in prog rock. Their music is either self indulgent wank with no real musical context other than "look how cool and technical we are" or cheesy simple parts that shouldn't even be considered prog. Their wank/cheese led to the shitshow that is most prog 80s and afterwards. We would have one less self indulgent prick like Portnoy if Peart didn't do it first.

god damn
this guy is right about absolutely everything except tales topographic oceans

This is a terrible meme. Fragile was literally them warming up for Close to the Edge. With each album leading up to Close to the Edge, they pushed their compositions to greater extents, and by Close to the Edge, they had reached their absolute peak. Fragile has great tracks on it, but it's scattered and depicts them coming into form. Close to the Edge shows them at the absolute height of their capabilities, where their ambitions were completely matched with their capabilities. Every single moment on that album is a gift. It doesn't matter, because I know you probably don't think Fragile is their best album anyway.
I think so. If not, prog rock at the very least. The title track is the most overwhelmingly beautiful piece of music I've heard to come out of the genre with a sense of effortlessness that the rest of prog rock just doesn't have, and the final two tracks build beautifully upon it with a humble approach that doesn't try to pompously overshadow or outdo what the first half achieved.

He's right about Tales From Topographic Oceans. That album is the complete opposite of Close to the Edge. There's absolutely no humbleness in the composition, and whereas on Close to the Edge ever single moment of the piece makes complete and perfect sense in the full scope of the composition, the musical passages on Tales feel completely meaningless and nonsensical, and seem to only exist to carry you to the twenty minute mark of the track. It's completely overblown and pretentious, with running times that only serve to fool gullible listeners into thinking they topped Close to the Edge. But no matter how many sides of vinyl you fill with really long tracks, you're not going to recapture the magic that was contained in those three tracks on Close to the Edge.

Why are bands afraid of making music this ambitious these days? And don't tell me about nu prog because they're just aping the style.

Honestly if it was just trimmed down a bit it would be a good album. There are enjoyable moments on it.

I think the Yes Album is the best one.

>LMAO we're totally topping Close to the Edge right now XD

There are still bands making ambitious rock and pop music. David Bowie's last record (he's dead now but you know what I mean anyway), Swans, Liturgy, Joanna Newsom, Gorguts, Lil Ugly Mane, Oneohtrix Point Never, Leprous, Titus Andronicus, and the Dear Hunter are all artists making "ambitious" music. Loads of undiscovered stuff that's probably pushing boundaries or moving in different directions that are unknown and just peddling their stuff on Bandcamp, also.

nope, only true Yes fans and patricians know that Tales is the GOAT Yes album.

I think most of those knowledgeable in theory would laugh at LUM and swans being called ambitious

>listens to prog once.
ya rock music. lol.

NOW THAT ITS ALL OVER AND DONE

NOW THAT YOU FIND

NOW THAT YOU'RE WHOLE

>measuring a genre as broad as rock with one album
>measuring any genre with one album

You need to explore more music if you think your current favourite album is the best of the genre. There's way too many ways to judge a genre through one album.

What about technicality, individual instrument comparison, flow of album, songwriting, complexity, progressions etc. I could infinitely name ways to compare a genre.

so sick of this "rush sux xd le dadrock" meme

2112, hemispheres, and a farewell to kings are all fucking GOAT prog albums and if you can't see that, you're a drone with shit taste

Probably, yeah

The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and Relayer are probably the best five-album streak in existence (and their only objectively good albums as well)

SEASONS WILL PASS YOU BY

I GEETTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPP

I GETT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWNNNNN

I don't personally consider music to have to be theoretically complex or advanced to be "ambitious." But I certainly think that Swans make ambitious rock music and have been making such music for years now, as for Lil Ugly Mane, I think his experiments in trying to fuse noise and black metal with southern hip hop is really interesting even if I don't particularly love his music.

The Ancient feels pretty dull, I'm not gonna lie. But The Remembering is wonderfully beautiful. In my opinion it's their only long piece that comes close to the 'Close to the Edge' sound.

I GEEEEEET UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

One of my favorite moments in any song.

I GET DOOOWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN

I GEEEEETTTTT UPPPPPP

I GEEEEEEEEEEEEEET DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWOWOWWOWOWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN....................

Yes, I feel bad having listened to it because now I know I will never be impressed with other albums.