So, I want to get into death metal, but the avenues I've taken so far have been mostly shit. I like [pic related]...

So, I want to get into death metal, but the avenues I've taken so far have been mostly shit. I like [pic related], but I haven't found anything else that really clicked for me. I dig a lot of black metal, and I'm just looking for something that digs a bit deeper than just "kill, death, blood". Can Sup Forums offer anything a little more cerebral, or is this genre mostly just shit? It doesn't even have to be super complex, but at the very least more complex than a polished Chris Barnes.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCe95bLJ4Cs
youtube.com/watch?v=1oJntDxMMO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Check Behemoth. Also check technical death. Origin and the like.

I've found Black Metal to be a bit deeper than Death Metal

Not a huge fan of either. Just Burzum really. Ruins of Beverest when i have road rage .

Look for old DM, like the very early death metal, if you don't like anything of that, don't lose your time, you're not gonna like all the generic bullshit that came up next, look for another genre. The good thing about DM is that you can listen to 1 album per sub-sub-genre (Melodic DM, Technical DM, etc) since it all sounds the same.

>i know next to nothing about either genre but black metal is deeper

stop posting any time

PS: Yes, it's mostly just shit, like pretty much 90% of metal nowadays. Since the 2nd Wave of Black Metal boom back in the early 90's metal ahs been stuck, everybody has been doing the same for over 20 years, it gets boring after a while, that's why i left it all, because after you get to Black Metal that's all, no more sub-genres, every band after that it's just trying to copy what bands did from 70's to 90's.

Checked out Nile yet OP? They're entry-level but pic related is a classic for a reason

You have no idea what you're talking about

Maybe check out the subgenre War Metal. It kinda mixes black and death. Look up the bands Revenge and Teitanblood

angry manchildren

Name one new sub genre of these last ten years.

I relate to this so fucking much! I've tried countless times to get into death metal or black metal but it's never clicked for me either. Probably the only two albums that clicked for me were Prowler in the Yard by pig destroyer and Jane Doe by Converge, though they aren't exactly death or black metal :/

Then you just don't like BM or DM, listen to what you really enjoy, don't try to fit and force you into something dude.

Thanks for the recs. Checking Penthos now. I have Echoes of Decimation because a friend of mine gave me their album when I asked him for some black metal recs, just as an additional thing, but I'm not super into it, or at least not yet.

their (Origin's)*

A bit drunk, sorry.

orthodox bm and we are now seeing the advent of post-tech death. also blackgaze and sludgewave but a lot of metalheads think they're shit. Also bands like batushka, peste noire, panopticon, enslaved, gorguts, and ulcerate that have been experimenting within black and death metal

This one has a lot of that big, black metal atmosphere so far. I dig it.

There are bits and pieces i do genuinely like about it though. I just want to find something that kinda puts those pieces together into the full picture for me. For instance i like alot of aspects of bands like Altar of Plagues, Deathspell omega or krallis. I'd love to find something that kinda mixes those three :)

Behemoth's "Satanica" is pretty solid.

The way I got into it was through Death. If you like cool guitar stuff it is the way to go. And then I moved to Necrophagist, which is technical death metal. I'd advise the same route if you are into cool riffs rather than evil sounding riffs.

listen to acid feast they are like pissgrave but not shit

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCe95bLJ4Cs

>tech death
literally kys

It's like tech death bands are allergic to trying to write something good. Every riff they write needs to be as cluttered and frantic as can be with no regard to tone or direction. Everything is assembled so mechanically together, topped off with such digital cleanness and shiny pristine, like it wants to seem heavy but is so ashamed to be a part of the scene. There's no passion, it's like some snobby music professors tried their hands at making "intelligent" death metal, they wrote a checklist for what they thought would be necessary to count as death metal and then filled it with needless complexity for that "intelligent" aspect. Riffs vary between being fast and intricate slurries of notes to being basic, but still fast, death metal chugs you've heard a million times over, everything wrapped up in a brick walled to fuck production where bass is only audible when the band wants to remind you that they do indeed have a bassist. Songs are long, aimless, and twist and turn without any bit of focus. Riff (and I use that term quite loosely here) leading into riff leading into solo leading into riff comprises the song writing ideas here, with some occasional orchestral samples thrown in to make this album seem grander than it is. It's a nauseating and headache inducing experience, while not as annoying as Brain Drill or Monumental Torment, it's equally as flashy and unnecessary. Completely irredeemable garbage with not one decent moment in its duration.

Literally choke on your edgy face-painted hipster bait atmoshit that sounds like it is being played on a toaster.

OP try: Atheist, Behemoth, Bolt Thrower, Brutality, Carcass, Death, Deicide, Edge of Sanity, Grave, Horrendous, Immolation, Monstrosity, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Pestilence.

If you seriously don't like any of those then you will never like death metal. It is also harder to get into death metal if you haven't listened to proto-death metal.

If you like black metal you should be used to lyrics not being sophisticated though...

You might dig Dragged Into Sunlight, they have a lot of death and grind elements.

youtube.com/watch?v=1oJntDxMMO8

KAWAII METAL

listen to

immolation (!!)
behemoth
cryptopsy
horrendous (!!)
gorguts
vektor (thrash but good !!)
portal (!!)
atheist
morbid angel
i put !! next to stuff i think you'd especially like since you're into BM (mostly stuff with heavy atmosphere and fuzzy guitar tones)

also check out gridlink, discordance axis, nails

Looked up this band and holy shit incredible drummer god damn

Infester
Sororicide
Yogth Sothoth
Abhorrence
Demigod
DEMILICH

Also what the fuck have you been listening to?

>Portal

That`s cuckoo clock metal

Why are black metal aesthetics for perpetual 14-year-olds

>it's tongue-in-cheek

not always

here is a simple surface guide to finding your genre.

i thought the cover said Pissgrab

check these

im very confused by this list

>just burzum really

this is the equivalent of someone who posts in prog threads even though hes only listened to king crimson

nowadays? most metal was always boring. and the copying argument is a bit weird since if you dont rip off older bands you'll be labelled as "hipster"

a lot of metalheads think theyre shit because metalheads have the musical range of a fucking sheep

agreed, death is one of the best gateways into a 2-50 year dm binge

half of this is good and half of this is stuff i listened to when i was 13