raspberry pi just got huge upgrades
gigabit ethernet
2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi
bluetooth
1.4ghz stock processor quad core
PoE fully supported

that's huuuge fucking network upgrades
and it has way better support than any of the other boards

will you start using them for your NAS Sup Forums?

Attached: bcm.jpg (473x473, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/
heise.de/ct/artikel/Der-neue-Raspberry-Pi-3B-schneller-zum-gleichem-Preis-3994036.html
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no because orange pis with armbian are better

also
>pi anything for a NAS

>PoE fully supported

THAT I am excited for. If I can power it via PoE, and it can drive a SATA drive or two, and some USB devices and a display, we're in business.

Sounds better, but does it match an ODroid yet?

Frankly, that has long been an option if you didn't want to deal with all the poorly NAS suitable hardware on the Pi

>orange pi

lel

banana pi is leagues better. half the shit on orange pi doesn't even work software wise.

odroid was never worth it in comparison to banana, orange, and even raspberry..

expensive meme tier

>gigabit ethernet
>300mbs

It's gonna be just as slow as the old ones since the broadcom chip still only has the one usb 2.0 port

Eh, these couldn't run a single SATA drive at close to GBE speed, right?

What is meme about wanting your NAS to run at around what consumer GBE will reliably do on some AP or such?

Yea an asus tinker board is much more powerful but twice the price however does a gigabit Ethernet

banana pi has sata and gigabit ethernet and runs around 20MB/s through USB 2.0 and 70MB/s over LAN to sata drive on my home network.

and it's $30

yeah and it has shit software support

Wow, why didn't they fix that to >= 700mbit, preferably more?

Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2. I also think rock64. And others.

works fine, better than orange pi does..
the only shit it doesn't have support for is meme headers that the pi is much better at.

Holy shit it's real. I thought OP was bamboozling us:
raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/

Ya, and I want 90+ MB/s on the connected drive for NAS / storage cluster usage. Okay, optimally it'd the full hdd speed of 150-250MB/s, but I don't expect 10GBE and support for the fastest drives just yet.

I do not need70MB/s to LAN without the drive / with a drive elsewhere. That is pretty silly for NAS use.

so it's just some networking updates and it still has the shitty graphics accelerator? yawn

>315mbps
so roughly 40MB/s

plenty of speed honestly. it'd be great to have more but it is a great upgrade.
and fully supported PoE is great

that means a 1GB file will transfer in about 25 seconds.

200mhz faster cpu, with enhanced thermal management. Same gpu.
New wifi chip with dual band, new bluetooth chip, and new antenna.
Support for PoE.

I'd say it's a reasonable update. It's not a Raspberry Pi 4, so what did you expect?

not really
learn to use a local drive and clone unison/rsync automatically you fucking ape.

Raspbian, armbian... do any of these things run on a vanilla distro? Or only their specially-customized crap?

they boot from sd cards. none of them can be "vanilla" the boot doesn't work the same the bootloader doesn't really exist.

other than that they're very basic and barebones. a lot of the OS's are anyway.

Oh.
PoE requires a hat.

That's fucking dumb.
There are already PoE hats and plans for building your own PoE hat.

Fuck that. I thought they finally integrated that shit.

> plenty of speed honestly
Not really. HDD will often do 150MiB/s or more, GBE should do 90-120MiB/s on boring hardware.

They should have matched that for at least one drive.

Are you still using VideoCore?

Yes. VideoCore IV 3D is the only publicly-documented 3D graphics core for ARM‑based SoCs, and we want to make Raspberry Pi more open over time, not less.

make one that's open & better so they can use it, you botnet loving fuck

Raspberry Pi 1A+ continues to be the $20 entry-level “big” Raspberry Pi for the time being. We are considering the possibility of producing a Raspberry Pi 3A+ in due course.

So if I go to debian.org and download an ISO for one of the ARM flavors, no RPi or RPi clone will boot the thing?

Basically I trust Debian (and other major projects) to look after their distro properly, but I don't trust that some specially-hacked flavor of it will be kept up to date with upstream, or that all the modifications they make will be ones I want.

raspbian gets more updates way more than debian ARM does lol

yes it would. you can't use a bootloader though, you have to make your image have a boot dir for the board to boot to.

also half the gpio shit won't work.

> learn to use a local drive
You mean if you don't use the RPI 3[+] but a local drive, you don't have the issue with the RPI 3[+] being a slow as fuck NAS or storage node? Genius.

> and clone unison/rsync automatically
Not helpful. I'd like decent storage performance so I can pull files at ~GBE speeds (initial NAS) or so that nodes can rebalance / failover at GBE speeds rather than take like half a week or a week (later storage cluster).

yep, it's called local drive, moron
when you leave the house and have to rely on actual internet speeds you'll thank me.

>being a GPIOlet
what's the point?

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-3-Compute-Module[1].jpg (1200x809, 544K)

>gigabit ethernet
It finally graduated out of "completely useless" tier.

> when you leave the house and have to rely on actual internet speeds
1/1GBE if the other location matches the best unlimited cheap ($70ish) home internet speeds but that's not the point.

It only needs to be around GBE-per-device to locally use the storage well with one or two SATA drives. It's a problem and a waste if it does not.

>gigabit ethernet
CT claims it runs at 310Mbit/s as compared to the predecessor 232 MBit/s, but they state they still need to do tests on the serially produced models.

That is not good.

Sauce: heise.de/ct/artikel/Der-neue-Raspberry-Pi-3B-schneller-zum-gleichem-Preis-3994036.html

Ok, then it's still going to be a piece of shit.

I had always thought it'd be a cute project to do a "pi station" with a minimal OS and create games based around the Pi's hardware.

A lot of effort though.

> create games based around the Pi's hardware
Why though? Qualcomm / Intel / AMD have better chipsets for games, and now actually support more than two VideoCore variants with an one man team trying to get rid of most of the bugs over time.

The existing PoE hats must have their own Ethernet connector and then route the data lines back to the Pi's connector, which is cumbersome and ugly.

Attached: b943d16c888d63ccccf96f119255aead.jpg (600x277, 41K)

Wtf is nas

network attached storage

>the predecessor 232 MBit/s
Do you even German? They measured 232 Mbps with their preproduction model while the manufacturer's claim is up to 310 Mbps.

It's still 2.5 times faster than 3B.

>Wtf is nas
the state of Sup Forums

Fuck nas nigger terry told me about you nas niggers.

Will get one the moment they are awailable in my country... ot will cost likely around 70evro though

Preproduction, thanks for the correction.

predecessor 232mb? yea fucking right.. lol

leave Sup Forums forever

Is this thing finally good enough to run most PS1 games? Wanted to build a retropi but wanted to wait until compatibility was better

Cool just as I was thinking of setting up a retropie.

Even a Pi 2 will run old SNES, Genesis and PSX games without any problems...I'd recommend a Pi3 only if you want to play PSP games.

Attached: illmatic.jpg (225x224, 8K)

> ITT
> Wtf is nas

They cost a bit more than the Pi, but the performance difference is fucking huge.
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

>usb 2.0
>will you start using them for your NAS Sup Forums?

Attached: 1494777910061.png (1198x1200, 259K)

>gigabit ethernet
>over usb2

>PoE fully supported
>with separate PoE HAT

Anyways, no. It's still slow as shit and shouldn't be used as a nas unless you are super poor.

> NAS
> raspberry pi
I mean, I can either plug in a USB HDD into a router
Or
Use something that does not suck, supports hardware RAID and has several bays for 3.5" HDD.

that's cool and all but... is it comfy?

Been thinking about one of these for a NAS solution. Been using my router for a NAS but even though I only have it LAN facing I don't really trust the security of TP-Link (although if they can breach the router I guess my network would be fucked all the same)

retarded shill thread

probably 200Mbit/s in IRL real life scenarios LMAO

saged

>bootloader doesn't really exist
You have no clue what you're talking about don't you?
You can put anything you want on a raspberry pi, even windows 10 if you really wanted to. It's fucking ARM

LEL!

A $40 RPi that has SATA and a separate USB & Ethernet controller needs to happen.
>half a dozen models with no correlation between the product name and performance or specs.
At least with the RPI I know which is more powerful by the number next to it.

why don't they just go with a custom soc apu from amd?

I would easily fork over the extra $5 for that and still retain the software support that the rpi has.
Rreally thats the only reason I've got an rpi3 is due to the software support out there, but a lot of things are starting to support ODROID, been thinking about hopping ship to one of their boards.

Likely not. Good PS1 emulation needs like triple the processing power, not +25%.

>Gigabit Ethernet
...over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300Mbps)

Wow, such gigabit

Because they don't have Sony tier amounts of cash.

Honestly it's still fucking dogshit, ARM processors in general are fucking dogshit because emulating x86 code has like a 1,000% performance penalty.

Buying a used x86 cpu thinkpad for like $50 is still 100x better.

You have to be a complete retard (or Microsoft) to buy ARM for x86 emulation.

And an old thinkpad will consume 10x more power.

if you don't have x86 emulation then how would you run virtualbox

check and mate, armlets

>And an old thinkpad will consume 10x more power.
And give you 10X more performance. A53 cores can't even compete with x86 pentium 4 cores from WW2.

Probably a lack of necessity. Better processors have existed for years and the RPI wouldn't benefit from a stronger GPU.

Attached: i don't like corm.jpg (640x480, 60K)

You can get a lot of stuff with more performance than raspi, it's been this way since forever. That's not what raspi is for.

rpi motherboards have shitty vrms that can't even output 5 watts of power that an AMD APU 20x more powerful would need.

Long term I worry about the integrity of the eMMC on these things. If you wanted something long term and more robust look at the AMD Kabini boards, or comparable Celerons that launched a couple years back. They were pretty cheap when they came out. Should be dirt cheap by now.

Right but most people get them expecting them to function as computers which is retarded because at best they're just glorified audrino controllers.

>huge upgrades
You do not know what you're talking about. 200MHz bumped CPU clocks with obvious power consumption/heat implications, still network and storage on the same bus. Non-gigabit gigabit with usb latency. Useless 5GHz WLAN, 2.4 was good enough on such product. Still the same VideoCore IV with its same limited output resolution, lack of modern APIs, buggy and proprietary drivers and boot. It's fucking nothing.

>they'd have to redesign the VRM for a different CPU
No shit, Sherlock.

Aliexpress has a shit ton of ITX/sub-ITX boards with those. They're faster, have native SATA and run x86 software, but they're also biggerand cost $100+ (and that's not including RAM and OS storage), so they're hardly an alternative to RasPi/Odroid for poorfag NAS.

The RPi runs on millivolts, even under max load it won't pull enough to do more than warm the VRMS to the touch. Obviously setting up the RPi to pull more power would necessitate a stronger VRMS.

just buy a Rock64 if you want a NAS

Why can't they just make a dual-core 2 GHz A53 version of the pi, wouldn't that use the same amount of power? It would at least make emulating windows xp half as painful.

Well, unlike Arduinos, they CAN function as computers, with a graphical OS and mouse and shit, just really slow computers. Anyone who expects a modern PC for $35 is an idiot, but for some tasks you don't really need more.

>Useless 5GHz WLAN
Even on something as slow as Pi, it's not useless if 2.4GHz band is crowded in your area.

or thinkpad like faggot up there said

Christ.

Everytime i'm about to buy one of these shits and new model comes out with even more cool stuff.

data is limited to usb2 speed idiot

Barely, how long does it take to boot up windows 98 on one from qemu, 1 hour?

$35 would get you a used thinkpad at second hand stores which would be at least 10x as better and not require x86 emulation since it can do that natively + free screen and mouse/keyboard

Cheapo old laptops aren't fanless and rarely give you more than one SATA port. On the other hand, the battery can serve as a poorfag UPS if it's not completely dead.

>it doesn't run muh windows therefore it's useless

go back to Sup Forums

You can literally rip out the optical caddy and stuff a HDD in its place. The battery is an even bigger free bonus if you want to run a NAS/server.

>I want to run windows on everything because I'm too dumb to use any other os

It really is, 99% of useful software is on x86. Doesn't have to wangblows, loonix can be used as well.

Also more important why get a rpi at all when you can literally emulate it on an x86 computer?

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-Emulation-for-Windows-with-QEMU-36.png (655x541, 15K)

>being this much of neckbeard
dial it down user

Attached: bait f143545600.png (394x276, 62K)

>he wants to use an os that is older than him

Ara ara

>gigabit ethernet on a usb2 bus
LMFAO

well you gotta admit that it's better than 100m ethernet on usb3 bus

use loonix, fine whatever

ARM is just an absolute huge piece of shit that can't handle anything more resource intensive than a nas/controller. This thread is giving people a horrible implication that they will have a computer, they won't.

>"I-i'll look like a neckbeard if I walk into a second hand store"
>"I-I know, I'll get this piece of shit meme pretend computer that runs HDD on usb 2.0 and can't even compete with an actual computer 10 years ago, t-that'll show them!"

Attached: 1519186398840.jpg (480x336, 23K)

My main has 8 SATA ports, a bazillion USB ports, and only draws ~40W idle. Why would I want network attached storage when I can have local storage?

wut?

Attached: usb-speed-comparison-960x370.png (960x370, 61K)

>can't handle anything more resource intensive than a nas/controller.

...That's exactly why it's used for those purposes.

>This thread is giving people a horrible implication that they will have a computer

No, it isn't. There's "NAS" right in the fucking OP, you mongoloid.

GbE @ USB2 = 200-300Mbps
100M @ USB3 = 70-90Mbps