Why is it that the people that hate this pretend that it's because of the 3~ metalcore breakdowns in the whole album...

Why is it that the people that hate this pretend that it's because of the 3~ metalcore breakdowns in the whole album when, in reality, it's their incapability of wrapping their miniscule brains around an hour of musical prowess.

>when, in reality, it's their incapability of wrapping their miniscule brains around an hour of musical prowess.
Actually the main thing that turns them away is the Victory Records logo on the CD case. If Protest the Hero, Opeth, Mastodon, Edge of Sanity, Cynic or Gojira made Colors it would be a codified defining metal album of the 2000s and universally considered a masterpiece.

I think it may be a combination of that and the "Anthony Fantano doesn't like them so they must suck" meme.

it's actually because it's lelsoquirky genre-jumping "are we avant yet" bullshit that sacrifices every notion of songwriting for retarded polka breaks. it's a fucking mr bungle lite album dude, stop trying to push it as being good.

I saw them live on this tour and god was it fantastic. They encored with Selkies.

The reason that album somewhat fallen out of vogue is because the base style(metalcore/deathcore) they use has itself fallen out of style. I have great memories of when it came out and I also had gottent he album leaked three months prior to its release

>Mr. Bungle is the only avant-garde metal band I've ever listened to: the post

you're wrong. also, pretty much 95% of "avant-garde" metal is utter shit. but yeah have fun listening to Memerai's video game metal bullshit thinking you're so cultured.

literally dream theater for hipsters

WHIIIIITE WAAAAAALLL

>Arcturus
>Gorguts
>motW/Kayo Dot
>Thy Cat
>Anything John Zorn
>Anything Mike Patton
>Meshuggah
>shit
Wew take a look at this guy

Alaska is superior in every way

>>Arcturus
gay sympho/circus bs
>>Gorguts
tech death
>>motW/Kayo Dot
only good when they're not metal
>>Thy Cat
see arcturus
>>Anything John Zorn
>caring about zorn outside of his klezmer releases
>>Anything Mike Patton
anything he touches turns to shit
>>Meshuggah
l m a o

>implying Meshuggah aren't avant-garde
>implying the first band to play heavily distorted amelodic syncopated guitar riffs in uncommon time sigs with jazz fusion influence wan't boundary pushing for extreme metal
Objectively wrong.

>he believes prog metal is avant-garde

>Prog metal
Yes, they sound exactly like Queensryche. My mistake.

stopping your song mid way through to start playing what is basically a new song isn't prog or avant garde, it just means you can't write a complete, coherent song and try to hide it by sticky taping a bunch of half baked ideas together into overlong tracks..

QUADS

>lelsoquirky
there is nothing wrong with that, btw
metal could use some more of it

>What is a transition: the post
>What is an uncommon song structure: the post

99% of the time when i see people complain about this in music i hardly know what they're talking about

if BTBAM and Vektor and Gorguts don't have 'climaxes' and 'structure' and motifs i must have fucked up hearing or something

But it can't be. Every member of BTBAM has a university degree in music, but that random user obviously knows waaay more about the way a song should be structured.

the vocal style of this genre is so cringe inducingly hilarious and teenage angsty. can never take it seriously lol

>I can't understand the lyrics, but I'm assuming that since the vocalist is using death growls that they must be teen-angsty
Hey, mum. How are the sisters doing?

you can simply choose that you want to take it (or anything that you "can't take") seriously
it does not take anything to do that, but an open mind

>only good when they're not metal
this triggered me

>this triggered me
Same, but everyone else in this thread seems to be triggering me so what else is new?

the vocals are shitty
ants of the sky is still a GOAT song though

The Great Misdirect is goat, but Colors is only slightly less good and still fantastic.

Parallax 1/2 and Coma Ecliptic are also absolute bangers.

Alaska is very good

The Silect Circus has it's great moments

Self titled has about the same in great moments

>it would be a codified defining metal album of the 2000s and universally considered a masterpiece
But it is considered that.
Only /my/ has to be contrarian about it like they are with every successful band ever

Agreed 100%, fuckin love the great misdirect.

Fav track? Mine probably swim to the moon

You know, I spent a long time hating Between the Buried and Me for their asymmetric songwriting and how they never, EVER turn down an opportunity to wank on the guitar.

I gave a few of their albums a listen, actually tried to analyze it, and, while I don't outright hate them anymore, I still think they should dial it back on stopping every couple minutes to do a prog-polkacore jam when it really just ruins the flow of the song.

Other bands manage to add complexity to their songwriting while still having some common flow to the music.

I personally like the incoherence, but hey I'm a mathfag

Yes, please do tell us what transition and uncommon song structure are, because BTBAM don't really know how to transition into a new idea very well. They sort of just stop what they're doing and start something else. Other artists have a pretty good idea of how to have an uncommon song structure without just dropping into a new jam out of the blue.

Just chill out. We can tell that you're probably just getting into this kind of music. Give it a few months, discover some other bands and come back to us if you still want to talk about how your new favorite band is so virtuosic.

Not him but Swim to the Moon fucking blew me away the first time I listened to it.

Hell, I remember the very first song I listened to was "Alaska" due to the music video on the bonus victory records CD. Can't remember what I brought. I remember fucking hating these guys for the lovely intro only to have whatever the fuck the rest of that song was.

And the more I listened to it the more I couldn't stop. I finally went to their older shit and enjoyed that too along with everything else going forward.

Has anyone else given Paralax I and II another listen? I wasn't very taken with it but I'm wondering if I need to give those albums another listen.

I like math rock and mathcore quite a bit. By that same token, I think The Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, East of the Wall, KEN mode, even Shellac and Hella and a few others all do manage their transitions quite a bit better. They all sound more organic in their songwriting.

That's my major complaint about BTBAM. Their transitions don't sound organic. They sound forced and not thought through.

Definitely Fossil Genera, I love every song on that album and think they're all 10/10s, but that song stands out so much.

Even though most of Swim to the Moon is each member indulging in their instrument, it works and flows so well and it makes just shy of 18 minutes seem like no time at all.

I had the exact same thing with Alaska, the intro is fantastic then goes into something that, at the time of me first hearing it about 5 years ago I just hated.

The Parallax 1 is a great EP, 2 is a phenomenal album to listen to in one go. Silent Flight Parliament is actually made up of a lot of different parts of the songs up until that point, and just rounds off the album so fucking well.

Plus, you've got songs like Astral Body, Bloom, The Black Box. It's a fantastic album.

What did people think of Coma Ecliptic?

Fair enough. TDEP has kinda pleb by structure though, it's easy to transition.

Don't get me wrong, I do like em.

Thoughts on The number twelve looks like you? Also very all over the place, more so than BTBAM, but proper mathcore instead of prog.

Selkies. It gives me a good feel listening to the outro and one time many years ago my father came in and listened to it with me. Whenever he asks me the name of the band I'm listening to I know he likes the sound that they're playing at the time.

I haven't really listened to them, I just never got around to it.

I love that feeling.

>what's this group called, user?

Give Grandfather and The gardens all nighter a listen, you'll get what I mean. Grandfather being chaotic and the gardens really organic

I don't like the polka ending but the first half of Ants of the Sky is pretty genius

I also had the best make out session of my life during their set so I'll always like them for that

>btbam
>metal

kek

why are there so many r/music posts here lately and why do none of these retards know what metal is

mr fucking bungle is not a metal band lmao

if you want "avant garde" metal listen to gorguts, demilich, etc

probably the most overrated Sup Forumscore album I've ever heard, and the only one I didn't like

>music degree = great musician

underage autist pls go

Great musicianship and songwriting but the vocal delivery really bugs me. He randomly adds noises and repeats words so it syncs up.

Flourishing are cool.

>vocal style of this genre

same but "incoherence" i suppose depends on the listener's' ability to keep track of the details in their tangential style; would you agree or am i pulling things out of my ass too much. I'm also kinda a mathfag.

>not organic
is this because BTBAM has a tendency to sound like they involve indeterminacy or unpredictability in their shift in movements? I can't exactly define what I'm trying to say, but maybe it's because they often choose moments to switch from a particular tempo or time signature at times when the time signature would naturally disagree with a possible variation? sry if i'm talking nonsensically too much because I can't articulate for shit

>hardly implied equivalence
simply ebin

Hardly avant-garde.
Playing differently to traditional metal on the wings of prog-rock can be 'boundary pushing', sure,
but that's not avant-garde.

>same but "incoherence" i suppose...
Nah i think there's a value that can be assigned to the coherence of something. I agree that someone would rate something as incoherent, if they're bad at keeping track of detail, if theres much detail, though.
With this in mind, we shouldnt give value to the opinions of people who can't keep track of detail, as they're basically plebby and not experienced in listening to music, IMO.

This being said, people who are good at listening to detail are the ones who should decide on whether or not something is incoherent. Like i agree that BTBAM's switches are sometimes weird; one could say the songs are thus incoherent. Whether or not this is good is decided after a few listens. If it isn't, it's just shock-value basically.

I hope i'm making sense, kinda hungover.

why is organic > forced?

i can understand this approach; hopefully i wasn't using that harsh of an ad hominem explanation. I probably was coming off as potentially disparaging because I personally hate /metal/'s dismissive tendencies toward BTBAM. hope you feel better pretty soon

Did not take any offense m8, was a gud discussion.

Colors is my all time favorite album T B H.

That being said, is someone not liking genre hoppy prog really that hard to wrap your head around? I totally understand how this could be offputting to other people.

Different strokes for different folks guys.

How is music being quirky inherently bad?

>implying the "retarded polka break" doesn't serve the purpose of bringing the song back into the major key it started in
but no fun allowed, amirite?

It jumps around a lot but it's a great album, simple as that. Many people like certain parts but can't stand that they abandon them eight seconds later.

There's like two and one of them fits perfectly. Mr. Bungle was a great band too but they aren't the only band that's all owed to be "eclectic" and they weren't a metal band either.

Except in its guitar tone, production, and songwriting.

I don't think they've ever not. Even before Alaska came out they still encored with Selkies.

...it's not considered that already?

this. wankery with no sense of an actual mission. It reeks of "let's play the music in this style, now in this style and NOWWWW in this style," with no thought on how to actually combine these styles into a cohesive whole. A confused, hifalutin record for the kind of wonks who go to steampunk conventions.

This is exactly why I don't like DT but love BTBAM.

sounds good to me senpai

stopping what they're doing and then doing something completely different is a literal example of an uncommon song structure. just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean that it isn't an uncommon song structure.

>this triggered me
>>>
> Anonymous 05/23/16(Mon)10:00:28 No.65099878▶
>
>>this triggered me
>Same, but everyone else in this thread seems to be triggering me so what else is new?
>Metal